--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Eliminator Boat Duel (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Expert]
Eliminator Boat Duel (ntscus) (nes) [100 %] [Single Segment] [Easy]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Steve 'Elipsis' Barrios!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Eliminator Boat Duel (ntscus) (nes) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Expert]
Eliminator Boat Duel (ntscus) (nes) [100 %] [Single Segment] [Easy]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/eliminator/
http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/eliminatorboatduel-20150120/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by March 18, 2015.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
A/V is good, but there is a static background noise. It's mostly noticeable at the title screen though when there is no in-game sound. It might be more disturbing in a different type of game if this recording setup is used. I assume it's from the capture card.

Gameplay: Elipsis has done a great job documenting this game. I recommend people to read up on the strats in the forum and in the run comments before watching this as that will increase the viewing experience a lot imo. Even though this game never really appealed to me, it was very interesting watching these speedruns of it. It's clear that some thought went into the strats for how to upgrade and how to deal with the different races. The strats used and the explanations provided all made sense to me. The execution itself will never be even remotely close to perfect because of how the game plays. Considering what needs to be done to get through the game fast, these are  two impressive speedruns, despite not looking picure-perfect all the time.

Accept

Category note: I don't agree with the labeling of these runs. In expert, you skip the first 3 opponents in the game. The opponents you meet are then the same as the other difficulties and appear to behave exactly the same as well. This makes it harder in the first few races when you play on expert since you haven't upgraded the boat against the easier opponents. But there are no collectibles or anything, so 100% is a bit misleading imo. I would label them for example "Easy (All races)" and "Expert (Any%)".
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2015-03-25 11:49:50 am
Yes they are alligators.

This is an awesome game that reminds me heavily of Ironman Off Road/Super Off Road.

Expert/any %
I noticed the runner never used his last 4 nitros for some reason.

Easy
On a few occasions picking up nitros when already at 8-9 pieces makes me think maybe could've used them a bit more.

I am left wondering why the player doesn't let the opponent win the first leg more often seeing as it seems to be faster than actually racing for it. I get sometimes this makes you forfeit nitros but isn't it ever worth it?

accept
Edit history:
Judgy: 2015-04-04 06:02:00 am
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
A / V : Good, agreed there is a background noise most noticeable at the title screen however i don't see it being anything worth worrying over i tend to remember most games for this era having somekind of "silent" noise for some strange reason.

Cheating : None Detected

Gameplay : Looks good from what I can see, I agree about the nitros could be used more but it might be difficult to find a good place to use them effectively without causing yourself problems. (not being familiar with the game I can't really say)

Easy = ACCEPT
Expert = ACCEPT
Decision posted.
Edit history:
Elipsis: 2015-05-02 01:09:48 pm
Thanks you guys!  This means a lot to me because it was a game that nobody ever heard of before I started with it.  I basically took it from scratch and started with theory, routing, testing things, pretty much all of that completely on my own.  It's wonderful that all that work paid off and I really appreciate the time the verifiers took to scope this one out.

I will be making audio commentary as soon as I get a chance.  Here's the routing thread if anybody is interested in the game.

It was really really hard not to keep chiming in on the public verification thread, but I was good.  I do want to explain my rationale for the first leg / off the line strats though.  In order of preference the fastest thing off the line is:

1.  Frame perfect start & super fast win.
2.  Do nothing let the AI win.
3.  Slow dragged out start (but still win).
4.  Slow dragged out start (and still lose... never do this)

However, being out in front has quite a few other advantages that make me feel like it's worth at least attempting scenario 1.  And allowing 2 if it looks like it's turning into 3.  (There are a couple of cases where I even prefer 3 to 2).  Basically, starting in front in a chase-cam section lets you deny the AI nitros (critical vs. Veronica Alabaster), which translates to more damage / faster kills on them later.  Being ahead in the overhead section puts you in a strong position to start applying damage without burning nitros.  So while I'm not saying I made the best decision every time, I feel like there are valid reasons to go for it.

Anyway this is really wonderful.  I'm honored to have it accepted into SDA and recognized as a speedgame, and I hope to see you others pick it up and challenge my times someday.

Edit history:
LotBlind: 2015-05-02 12:06:40 pm
Yeah we'll all pick it up and start running against you. Of course.

^^ Sarcasm, for no actual reason. Congratulations Cheesy Keep me updated (just use this thread) on the audio commentary, I always like it when there is one.
Ping: Lotblind.  It's published now.
hahaha...

I wrote that update. To be honest I forgot that I was going to listen to the commentary myself so thanks for reminding me Cheesy