<- 12345678 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
wise fwom yo gwave
http://sega-16.com/Review-%20Ecco%20the%20Dolphin.php

That says 1992, and they are nearly always right (is that an oxymoron?).
heh, the terms do seem a bit incompatible, yes. i've changed it on the page ... freaking mike uyama.  Roll Eyes and check your pms.
Yep yep yep!
Sorry about completely vanishing off the face of the Internet without warning for several months.  Anyway, I've decided that I'm going to start working on an improvement to my current any% run.

On an Ecco-related note, anyone who loves the games' music (which should be everyone who has heard it) should listen to this.  It's a collection of complete remixes of nearly every song in both Ecco games.  Pure awesome.
thanks for the link. and i'll be looking forward to this run ...
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Yeah, it's like the one non-MM non-Sonic game we can agree on or something. Smiley
Now a hit show on the CW
Awesome, I've always been a fan of Ecco's music. The Vents has been a longtime member of my playlist.
this game has better music than mozart, bach and beethoven put together.
Cigar Man
Wow.  This is one of the most annoying games I've ever played, although I still like the game because of its unique atmosphere.  I spent about 12 hours playing this game on the Virtual Console over the last few days before I finally beat the game.  I spent forever trying to figure out what I was supposed to do to the DNA-strand thing.  And the level called "Welcome to the Machine" is like eight years long, and when I finally passed it, I reached the final boss's room and fell onto an alien minion and died instantly.  And I was like, "That's OK, since I'll start right at the boss."  But, no, I was taken back to the beginning of "Welcome to the Machine."  I would love to know how many times I died on that level.  I kept having to replay it over and over because I couldn't figure out what to do against the final boss.  Fun stuff!

I just watched the run.  It's incredible, one of the most impressive runs I've seen.  The glyph glitch was really cool to see, and I liked how you used a dolphin to replenish your health.  The fight against the final boss was awesome.
welcome. Smiley
Yep yep yep!
Quote from vgmrsepitome:
I just watched the run.  It's incredible, one of the most impressive runs I've seen.  The glyph glitch was really cool to see, and I liked how you used a dolphin to replenish your health.  The fight against the final boss was awesome.
Thanks for the compliments, although I definitely have to disagree with it being a high-quality run.

Work on an improvement is, obviously, taking far longer than I had originally expected, obviously.  And with school having started again, my free time had become even more limited.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get this recorded sometime closer to or during winter break, but I'm busy with colledge applications and stuff right now.
just don't spell college wrong on the admissions application. good luck. site will be here whenever you find the time.
welcome to the machine
"Warning: this is a very old thread. Make a new reply anyway?"  hell yeah.

BlueGlass' Ecco run last AGDQ was well-received.  I got back from AGDQ and was wondering what to run when I see a weird race on speedrunslive.  Game: Ecco.  Goal: get the lagoon skip.  Huh?  Surely they don't mean that really minor clip the IL does?

They didn't.  The entire level is skippable.  The skip itself is pretty cool, and the lagoon would otherwise be one of, if not the, worst levels in the game that isn't the queen or machine.  The IL is a minute and a half long, this clip brings it down to 5-7 seconds if you get it first try.  How does the trick work?  Nobody knows, it just does.

and then other things were found within the span of days.  The game has experienced a small renaissance since AGDQ.  Rezard and halfbakedprophet ended up competing to drop the time to 26 minutes, then halfbaked got a 25:59 and it stood there for a month.

Eventually I completed my savestate practice and started doing full-game runs.  The time went down to 24:33, then I got a 24:27, which stood as the record for less than a day before halfbaked demolished it with a 23:43, the current best time.

Newpants87 has also been playing it lately, although his time isn't in the same range (yet?  hopefully).

If anyone wants to watch our streams and keep us company, that'd be cool.  If anyone's considered learning the games, now's a good time for that too.  The game honestly isn't as hard to learn as it looks, for the most part.  Yeah, the machine and queen are exactly what they seem, for better or worse, but the rest of the game is really fun, and honestly not that hard.  If you've memorized the level layouts, you're 50% of the way through learning the game already.  Even the trilobites/homing crabs that give people nightmares aren't as much a concern as they seem, since they can't keep up with you if you're moving.

so yeah, if you've ever had interest in the game, now's not a bad time to look into it. =)

(also resurrected the tasvids topic with the new stuff)
Edit history:
Rezard: 2013-03-12 06:32:54 pm
Meteor Swarm
Omg wait , WR now is 23:43 ? he did almost frame perfect for everything so.
Acctualy i was running ecco way before the agdq event, but i got a little back into ecco. Because this is a great game to run , and at the end of the month i will have to run it for an event.
I saw the 23:43 record , this is insane , he did almost no mistake
Far from frame perfect Rezard, 30 seconds could realistically be shaven off.  If it was frame-perfect human play it would be sub-23, I think.  For now I'm just waiting until the route inevitably gets shorter when these glitches are more explored :p
Yep yep yep!
I'm really curious about those glitches, especially the sonar map glitch in Medusa Bay.  Does bringing up the map somehow move the end-level trigger, or make the game misread Ecco's position?  If we understood how and why it worked, it could lead to similar skips in other levels.
I've been thinking of learning the game since my first playthrough of it almost a year ago. But alas I have too many projects at once and it's on ice (for now).

It's really cool that people are picking it up seriously again though so I'll be following this closely Smiley
welcome to the machine
Quote from BlueGlass:
I'm really curious about those glitches, especially the sonar map glitch in Medusa Bay.  Does bringing up the map somehow move the end-level trigger, or make the game misread Ecco's position?  If we understood how and why it worked, it could lead to similar skips in other levels.

no idea, unfortunately.  Whatever it is, it's not as simple as just bringing up the map at the opposite end of the level from the exit, because I've tried that in a bunch of places (most notably undercaves and open ocean) and gotten nowhere.  Also don't think it's misreading Ecco's position, because the end-level event actually doesn't trigger automatically.  Once you do the glitch the trigger covers a certain area, and you can be outside of the area and still swim around normally (tip: hold up-left after bringing the map up, because if you're just barely under it, you eliminate reaction time to swim up into it), and walls will still work and such.  And then you swim into the trigger and the level ends, heh.

I would have spent a day sonaring everywhere in the machine, but the map doesn't work in that level. =/
Meteor Swarm
The medusa's bay glitch is kinda weird yea, im my own theory , this part of the stage and the exit of the stage are a a programming error where both area use the same code.
I spend hours glitching the machine too , you can pass somme walls but that's all.
Glitching Pteranodon's pond should be a good things too.
Edit history:
halfbakedprophet: 2013-03-15 10:26:52 am
halfbakedprophet: 2013-03-15 10:25:39 am
halfbakedprophet: 2013-03-15 10:21:55 am
What glitches are in Pteranodon?  In Trilobite Circle Newpants discovered a method to clip into the island to the right of Ecco's starting position by damage boosting off a jellyfish, but it doesn't save any time.

And the Medusa Bay glitch is just bizarre.  As Vorpal said it covers a distinct area after you sonar, and you can move around freely before touching it to end the stage.  I've been sonaring in all sorts of corners and inside of rocks but gotten nothing :/ It doesn't "move" the goal (can still finish stage normally after using sonar in the corner), and the game confusing Ecco's x/y coordinates would probably cause way more problems than just a strange end of level trigger.

EDIT: also I can basically confirm that Lagoon skip is based mostly on the position of the jellyfish on the left, since targeting them is what activates the glitch.  Makes getting the glitch a lot easier when you know when you should be pressing B.
Meteor Swarm
There's no glitch yet at pteranodon , but one would be nice here, i allway feel like this level take forever to do.
Yea i confirm also that the lagoon skip is based on the jellyfish position.
Edit history:
Rezard: 2013-03-23 07:31:18 am
Meteor Swarm
2 New glitch found  , save up the 20 to 60 secondes for both
Yep yep yep!
Awesome!

What are they?
Seems to be a simple clip into the diagonal of a rock wall in Jurassic Beach, and another sonar-exit in Deep City.  Rezard is making youtube clips atm, vorpal is doing runs with the new glitches: twitch.tv/vorpalsda
Meteor Swarm
there is.
Yep yep yep!
Awesome!  At this rate, the game will be sub-20 minutes by SGDQ!

Great finds Reezard, and good luck to Vorpal on the run.