1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Frame count confirmed, indicating a time of 0:53. Video/audio quality is right on the money, considering the console. I wasn't previously familiar with the game (aside from its reputation alongside Pacman 2600 as a v.g. industry waylayer), but I played it through to completion to get a feel for the mechanics and objectives. The runner seems to know exactly what he's doing and does it, beating the TAS as a result. Accept.

Quote:
I'm out of town, it's 2am, I'm in a hotel room stupidly awake because I had a good coffee with my dinner in New Orleans.  Thank goodness this video is tiny and easy to watch on my iPad on the hotel internet.

It's 50/50 that the fried alligator I had for lunch in the French Quarter was actually alligator, but this run looks legitimate to me.

The AV quality looks fine for an Atari 2600.  I see no evidence of cheating, nor of the FBI man magically holding a walkie talkie instead of a gun now, but rather just a route that improves on the TAS's routing.

I defer to the above verifier for the timing, but it sounds right.  That is to my knowledge the best known time for this game.

This game is difficult to control.  It's very easy to fall into a pit and very hard to get out.  The runner seems to operate perfectly, or just about.  This run clearly has legitimate work put into finding details about the power layout on this RNG position (which is fixed due to starting on power on by holdingt he button as the system is powered on, a trick learned from the TAS), resulting in a novel, imporved route.

SDA Phone Home.

Accept

Quote:
Video and audio quality are fine.
No noticeable cheating, despite this basically being a perfect run. It's a short game (when you know what you're doing and manipulate the best item layout), but I can't emphasize enough just how close to frame perfect this is. Easy accept for a notoriously bad game.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to "DSmon!"
Thread title:  
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
*sees that someone actually did a speed run for ET and it get accepted onto SDA*

In all seriousness though, this goes to show you that even what was widely proclaimed to be not just the worst game of all time, but also caused the crash of 83, even this game has the possibility of getting a speed run.

Congrats on doing the unthinkable DSmon.  Can't wait to see it get added to the site.
Edit history:
cak: 2013-08-20 04:31:04 pm
twitch.tv/ccaakk
Congrats for having the second ever Atari console speedrun on SDA!
Rush Coil %
Wow, my first run on SDA! Massive thanks to all that help with the verification process. Also, thanks MAS8705 and Cak. Now I just gotta find a copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark Kappa.
HELLO!
Congratulations DSmon, and I'm also looking forward to this being up.