Dungeon Magic (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Tim Treichel!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Dungeon Magic (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/dungeonmagic/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Dec. 6, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Terraffirmative!
So first off, I'm going to cut off anyone who goes and compares this video to random youtube playthroughs for time, the reason being that this was played on the ps2 taito legends port, which lags horribly all the time.

A/V looks good, my only concern is the resolution. I think the video may not have been encoded correctly since its in only 288/200 on the HD version. I've made that mistake myself before and I do not remember the actual settings that are wrong that make that happen. Nothing reject worthy, but might be worth looking at if the raw footage is still available.

The routing looks pretty good from what I can tell. While I've beaten this game, I haven't dug extensively into all the paths and can't really tell if its the best possible one. That said, the runner clearly knows where he's intending to go and doesn't get lost. While a lot of the rooms look moderately silly, the things that trigger doors in this game can be completely inane, and the runner clearly knows what they are. Only a few items are picked up, and most have pretty clear utility from their damage increases.

The enemies as a whole behave really well. In any brawler, there's going to be a lot of luck in where enemies decide to go and what they decide to do, and iast clearly put the time in to get mostly favorable patterns. Little touches like both amazons at the start of stage 1 going the same direction, or the getting the lucky timing to walk over the spike traps in stage 2 without getting hit might not be clear to the average viewer, but definitely make a difference in the time. The biggest RNG 'error' would be not getting the infinite setup on the queen spider, but since no one was ever able to determine what causes it to even be possible it's forgivable.

The players execution is also good, tough to spot a real error that wasn't cause by RNG other than maybe getting nailed by the sword in the dark knight 2 fight, but honestly the sword and shield are so unpredictable it's sort of expected.

Easy ACCEPT. Hope you can track down a board for this and do it on hardware like I know you want to iast, maybe consider looking into the other characters if you do! I don't blame you for not wanting to take this any further on the laggy ps2 port.
I don't have anything to add to what Murphagator said. Well done!

Accept
Edit history:
Worn_Traveler: 2014-12-10 06:22:29 pm
Formerly known as Skullboy
I have the PS2 Taito Legends 2 port of Dungeon Magic and I can confirm that there is a lot of slowdown in some places. This run is solid and uses good routes when the paths split. I accept this run. Looking forward to seeing this done with other characters as well.

Edited the post to make it more readable. Note to self, don't write verifications when half-asleep.
Edit history:
Judgy: 2014-12-10 02:55:26 pm
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
Good run, solid execution, routing seemed excellent runner knew exactly what needed to be killed or item needed to be broken (when required) to advance, so yeah very nice.

(Question: Is the boss at 13:50~ getting stun locked or is he actually programmed to do nothing for ages while the crystals spin about? lol)

A/V : Good
Cheating : None

Accept
Decision posted.
Thanks! Would you mind tossing my SDA username in with my real name as well? I think the submission page was being a bit wonky when I was first going at it.

Just to address a couple points:

@MURPHAGATOR!, taking another look at my encodings, all of them are 288/200. If it makes any difference, I recorded the run in Amarec 2.31 with my dazzle set to 720/480, then encoded in anri-chan with the settings nate gave me (D4 F1 2D, top field, de-deflicker) and cropped out any black borders. I'll try to figure out what's happening with the HQ video and get something more proper submitted. Also, yeah I'm done with the PS2 version, I'm currently on the search for a board. I've entertained the thought of doing other characters but I need more experience with them first.

@Judgy, Lesser Demon doesn't really have a counter in his AI. He can in fact be infinited with any character, though the timing differs based on attack string speed.
Hmm, well I encoded the run again, this time without cropping in case that for some reason was behind the resolution shenanigans. All the qualities still turned out the same. I also checked on my previous Terminator 2 GB submission and the vids were the same way with that. I'm just gonna figure this is a non-issue, unless anyone says otherwise.
Not a walrus
Well, Gameboy has a lower resolution than this would, are you sure you didn't leave that option checked or something?
Edit history:
iast: 2014-12-16 10:13:14 pm
iast: 2014-12-16 09:55:41 pm
iast: 2014-12-16 09:51:35 pm
I definitely told anri-chan it wasn't gameboy footage, nor GBA/NES for that matter. Also double-checked the old recording, was done in 640x480 after all which makes this even more baffling.

I'm gonna give Yua a try and see if that makes a difference.
Figured it out. D4 was making all the encodes the same resolution. Encoding at D1 gave a proper HQ and IQ.

Just need another final encode key to submit and that should be everything.
Not a walrus
Code's reactivated, upload whenever.
Submitted.
In response to the run info, I'll continue with the videos as-is.