Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Drakkhen (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Decision: Accept

Reason: Having personally played through most of Drakkhen without the aid of glitches, it's nice to see a game that seems packed to the gills with way of trolling the player get trolled itself. This is primarily done by Dragondarch counteracting some of them or even using them to his advantage (such as drowning half of his party.) This run has a solid route that still manages to show off a lot of the batshit insane things that are contained within the game world while still completing it in a very fast time. As Dragondarch said himself, there is very little he can do to improve this run outside of having absolutely perfect luck and it shows. A great run for a bad game. Accept.

THE THRASH METAL!!

Quote:
This game is one of the instances where a game's cover and title screen look much cooler than the game itself is. This game is awful, but I still have to give props to the story; you don't see much of it in this run, but I thought and still think that the plot of this game is really well done, and the music is pretty nice, it'll never get old for me.

Moving on, A/V is perfectly fine to me, except for one spot. At 15:13, the video skips for me just a second or so ahead - I tried redownloading the video file, but it was still there. If it's there for others, is it on the initial recording of the runner as well? I hope there's a fix to that.

There's not much to say about the gameplay itself. The route is as perfect as it can get, everything else is entirely dependent on the RNG to be merciful; and it was pretty much so in this run, even though there's still some mishaps happening. I've seen some of the streamed attempts for this game and there's been runs where killing one of the bosses takes a whole 15 minutes or more, partly due to MP regeneration.

This is an easy Accept, but I hope that skipping issue on the video is fixable.

Last tidbit from me here, this game had a whole team of 12 debuggers. Let that sink in for a minute.

Coming Soon
Drakkhen II!!

Quote:
A/V: One spot both video and audio skip. Another spot, the video artifacts. It's not too bad, and no obvious cheating since everything matches before and after.

The run is well planned and executed, the majority of time lost while outside prior to castle of Dawn seems inconsequential in the grand scheme since you need to wait outside for the doors to open about half way through the run. That's quite the leveling exploit, and you can exploit it without even knowing you're doing it.

Accept!

Quote from PJ:
As always, I'll being by saying this is PJ.

A/V quality is good, except for that one blip that was already mentioned by the other verifiers.  No signs of cheating....maybe?  Hard to tell with this game.  Tongue

So Drakkhen has a strong tradition of passing the torch along to someone else to do the run.  I first heard of this game from Scott Kessler who mentioned he was somewhat considering doing a run.  Then I heard that ZenicReverie might be interested in doing a run.  Then I learned the game and did some routing.  Then a lot more routing.  And THEN DragonDarch took his turn but accidentally finished a run instead of passing it along.  Fortunately he did, because the rest of the world has been saved.

This game is pretty shit to run because it is like 100% RNG.  The encounters are random, the frequency of encounters are random, if you hit and how much damage you do in combat is extremely random (I've done 1 damage with one hit and then immediately followed it with a 232 damage hit), what items are dropped is random and extremely varied, shop merchandise is random, etc etc etc.  It is a logistical nightmare.  DragonDarch has a few instances where he is depending on certain item drops and buying items in the store at the beginning of the game, which is just awful.  In this run things actually went pretty well, but that is just an awful way to begin a run.

I'd go through each section of the game and comment on the good/bad luck or whatever, but there's really no point.  His route is very strong.  We ultimately decided that Priestess + Magician would be the ideal team because it lets us enter swamp castle fastest and gives us the speed spell.  I toyed around with a lot of other team ideas (solo scout, solo priestess, solo magician, scout + magician) and this one seemed to be the best.  I considered the solo scout again recently, since DragonDarch gets to Dawn Castle super early with the speed spell.  I was considering cutting down on early-game grinding for enemies outside and trying to make it to early Dawn Castle with solo scout, but there's a lot of in-castle navigation and post-Dawn Castle navigation that would suffer immensely from the lack of speed spell, even if I could get the same day cycle as this run.

The bosses in this game are a huge pain in the ass to kill.  Whenever I fight them, I basically just run into them and hope I hit him before I get hit.  It is a completely crap shot.  DragonDarch goes for the much smarter SS strat which is to stand perfectly still in the corner and fire Anti-Matter until it hits them.  This is definitely a safe strat but can cost a big amount of time if the game doesn't want you to hit.  The melee alternative ends the battles in <3 seconds almost every time, but rarely with success.  Hahaha.  So yea, I believe that his strat is the best until we understand how the melee works or something.  The other *possible* option would be to use the Zombie Arthur glitch I found to kill the boss from a distance.  We have no idea how this works still, but if there is a way to make the dead character attack with more accuracy it would combine the best of both strats (melee damage/accuracy + safety of long-range offense).

So yea, there isn't much else to say.  His map navigation is really good, his menuing is strong, the route is very well prepared and well executed, and his luck is quite good.  This is a really good run of a game that never deserved one and will very probably be uncontested for a really long time unless we find a majorly game-breaking glitch (not unlikely).  This is a definite accept in my book.  Well done, DragonDarch!

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Damien 'Dragondarch' Moody!
Thread title:  
Pudding%
I guess I should apologize to all the verifiers (and all of SDA)...not for the video blips, but actually making the staff make a game page for this Wink

The only thing I should mention (probably should have had it in the comments) - the video blips are where the VOBs are split from my DVD Recorder. I tried re-encoding after I saw it in the initial one, but it didn't seem to want to go away. I honestly have no idea how to get around it. This was encoded with Anri.

Also, PJ, we need to do audio commentary. Probably get Mecha in as well, and you two need plenty of alcohol Wink
Is PJ
Quote from Dragondarch:
Also, PJ, we need to do audio commentary. Probably get Mecha in as well, and you two need plenty of alcohol Wink

Bolded for emphasis.
weird. one recording split across multiple vobs is pretty normal but being able to tell where the splits are is not. did you rip the dvd using anri? that usually copies it all into one file i believe. if not then you might want to do that.
Pudding%
Quote from nate:
weird. one recording split across multiple vobs is pretty normal but being able to tell where the splits are is not. did you rip the dvd using anri? that usually copies it all into one file i believe. if not then you might want to do that.

I let Anri rip it for me.
I actually had the same issue with Lament of Innocence in one spot. I'm gonna play around with my DVD Recorder and see what I can come up with. Lament and Drakkhen are the first semi-long SS runs I've done on this DVD Recorder, so it may be doing something wonky Undecided
Edit history:
Dragondarch: 2013-06-06 04:52:23 pm
Pudding%
Double post.

I just ran the raw VOBs through DGIndex manually, and the video blips aren't present at all.

Something I noticed though is that when doing it manually, it demuxes all 3 VOBs in one pass, whereas with Anri it's opening DGIndex once for each VOB. Dunno if that's making any difference.
can just submit the vobs and i'll encode it if you want.
Pudding%
I would like to figure out what the problem is for future reference at least. It seems to be stemming from Anri creating 3 separate d2v/ac3 files from the 3 VOBs instead of one large one.
I ran all 3 VOBs through DGIndex separately, and wound up with the same result I'm getting with Anri.
Not a walrus
What are the names of the VOB files? Maybe it's some weird pattern matching error that anri is choking on? (speculation, I haven't used anri in ages)
i believe anri reads the dvd toc and strips out titles using mplayer. so if the vobs are erroneously marked in the toc as separate titles ...
Pudding%
OK, found a workaround...

Load up anri, input all settings, when asked to encode, say no and back out.
Remove all the ac3/d2v files from the folder it created.
Open DGIndex and demux the VOBs manually, then place those in the folder.
Change the names of the new ac3/d2v file to match the first one in the source, and delete the lines pointing to the other files.
Run Anri again, and encode from there.

I encoded a new HQ version and watched through the whole thing. Video blips aren't present, and audio sounds perfect. I'll just have to remember to do this each time I encode something.
well i'm glad you were able to encode it but that's pretty lame. will be interesting to see what appending the vobs in yua alpha 10 gives you.
Edit history:
Dragondarch: 2013-06-06 06:59:44 pm
Pudding%
Quote from nate:
i believe anri reads the dvd toc and strips out titles using mplayer. so if the vobs are erroneously marked in the toc as separate titles ...

Huh...maybe it's because I rip the VOBs before even running anri.

Either way, I've got it fixed for this run, and I can fudge around with things between now and my next run.
Haters gonna hate
Quote from PJ:
Quote from Dragondarch:

Bolded for emphasis.

There isn't enough alcohol in the world, but I'm down.
Not a walrus
Quote from Mecha Richter:
Quote from PJ:
Quote from Dragondarch:

Bolded for emphasis.

Old Bobby time.
SGL Scrublord
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
Quote from Mecha Richter:
Quote from PJ:
Quote from Dragondarch:

Bolded for emphasis.

Old Bobby time.

Sounds like fun.