List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DragonsLairNES.html

Dragon's Lair (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Audio/video are good. Player gains control of character at 23 seconds, and finishes walking off screen at 6:15. 5:52 is my time. (Timings based on verification copy).

Watching this alone is pretty cool. The run is really smooth with only a few small stalls and unfortunate luck with not skipping the first gold screen.

I decided to watch this with the current run that's up on SDA, and that became further evidence for my verdit. This run shaves off quite a bit of time with better execution. I started them slightly out of sync, but they both finished the entrance hall at about the same time (current run with better execution, previous run with better luck). By the end of the run, this runner was done with the game when the previous run was just starting the dragon fight.

A prime example of the new run's improvement on execution is in the dragon's lair, when the player has to jump onto a tiny gap before an undesirable pickup. In the previous run, the player jumps back to deal with the little dragon that attacks. In this new run, the player JUMPS to lead the dragon up, and then attacks it from that height. Many small things like that add up quickly.

I'm not sure of regional differences. This post writing assumes none.

Verdict: Accept. Although the runner was unlucky in a couple of parts, they easily beat the previous record by not stopping or backtracking as much. Nice work!

Quote:
Dragon´s Lair NES PAL version verification respond

Dragon´s Lair run was very well played. Strategys are optimize very well and execution was really good one, runner used some really risky strategys. Im not have any complains about this run. There is nothing bad mistakes and all strategys seems nice enought.
There is some seconds possible improve with better luck against bosses. There is possible skip one more Dragon in level 4.
Estimate final time is 5:52. Run started 0:23 and last screen disappear 6:15. This is 1:04 minutes faster than previous SDA run. Its huge improvement over previous one, which was also nice run.
I think this is quite close absolutely human limit to beat this hard game. I think with really good luck and perfect gameplay its could be max 10-15 seconds faster. But like a lot Contra & Ninja gaiden runs, its will be so hard to improve this anymore. Its will requires tons luck manipulation.

ACCEPT. (very easy accept)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Pierre 'KartSeven' L'Hoëst!
Thread title:  
Is PJ
I really enjoyed watching this run when we featured it on TSSB.  Very well done, KartSeven!  Cheesy
Congrats KartSeven! Bien joué thumbsup
Kart for SMK, and Seven for FF7.
Thanks. Smiley

Even if I had a different strat for level 2 if Lizard King didn't appear in level 1, the best is obviously seeing Lizard King in both levels, to skip both gold screens, but it requiers a lot of luck.

I know I could skip the 3rd dragon in level 4, but as mentionned in my comments, I didn't make it on purpose, cos of the 2nd flying dragon who appears later with his rock. Of course, if you wanna take all the risks, skip the 3rd dragon and hope you won't be killed by flying dragon's rock, but it's really tricky. Grin

With these details, and also more luck against bosses, it's theorically possible to win until 20 seconds. But humanly, I don't think sub 5'30" will be possible, unless if new strats are discovered.

Thanks again for the approval. Wink