Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213141516171819 -> <- 1 .. 13 .. 19 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Quote from Darkwing Duck:
You'd love to see a 6 hour run where 4 1/2-5 hours of it is grinding?

I'd start watching it right this second.  Not that it should really matter to someone else what one person enjoys! Smiley
Highly Evolved
Quote from Ishmayl:
Quote from Darkwing Duck:
You'd love to see a 6 hour run where 4 1/2-5 hours of it is grinding?

I'd start watching it right this second.  Not that it should really matter to someone else what one person enjoys! Smiley

You're weird.

It's certainly not on my list at the moment unfortunately.  Not sure if Shiner put up his audio-less run on youtube or not.  I'd want to watch that before getting after it again, since I believe he's around a half hour faster than what I was doing.
Edit history:
Darkwing Duck: 2011-09-15 12:51:03 pm
Highly Evolved
Quote from Icthus:
Hey man, that's how it was in the old school.  Don't hate.

I'm just surprised people would want to watch it.  I've played around with a speedrun to get the original Dragon Warrior on site, not expecting many to watch it.
Yes, a worthless avatar riding my posts.
I'm busy with work this summer. But I'll be off in the winter. I plan to buy a recording device of some kind and re-do the run, but I will use the old audio commentary that was recorded on top anyway, just because I think it's priceless. (15 minutes of the audio commentary is silence for some reason so I can just prune that to make it fit the new run's length)
Shiner - do you have the old run up anywhere, like youtube?  I've searched around but can't find it
Edit history:
FionordeQuester: 2011-11-16 12:19:16 am
FionordeQuester: 2011-11-15 09:17:02 pm
FionordeQuester: 2011-11-15 09:14:55 pm
Yo, Fionordequester here, I have just now recorded a single segment run of this game in around 6 hours and 8 minutes!  Well, sort of, I'm too busy to really clear out a whole 7 hour block to play this game, so I sort of just recorded in segments, then when I started up this game, I would just act like I was doing a single segment run, such as not restarting if I died or anything like a segmented run would've.  Basically, it's sort of a multi-segment run...with a route designed for single segment...if that makes sense. 

At first I did this by periodically going to the king, but after a point, I realized even that was inconvenient, so I would just record the movie on FCEUX, then replay it up to where I last was, then run it like it was single segment...

Anyways, I have it all recorded, with audio, so it'll all be uploaded to Youtube after a few days (or maybe longer if I decided to do commentary).  What do you guys think?  I made some rather dumb blunders throughout (some enemy strategies were iffy, and I should've gotten backup Keys and Fairy Waters when making attempts on Dragon Lord), and my route differs on two points.  Firstly, I do not immediately fight the Axe Knight at 13, but instead, I go to Haukesness, get the Flame Sword, kick his butt, grind until Level 15 (I found in testing that Erdrick's Sword doesn't really make a difference until you start grinding south of Haukesness), go back and get the Silver Shield, get Erdrick's Sword, then instead of grinding to Level 19, I just fought the Dragon Lord at Level 18, and beat him on the first try.

EDIT:  Wait a minute, nevermind.  It turns out one of my videos has suffered from Desynch....yeah, that's another frustration that can happen with emulators.  So, looks like I'm redoing this...darn.
Awake the gamer in me...
Quote from FionordeQuester:
EDIT:  Wait a minute, nevermind.  It turns out one of my videos has suffered from Desynch....yeah, that's another frustration that can happen with emulators.  So, looks like I'm redoing this...darn.

This is why I hate make movie with emulator:P.
Well, in any case, most of the videos still work, so I could just upload those?  The one that desynched was somewhat important though, having the Axe Knight strategy on it and all.

Anyways, it's no big deal, because I've already thought of several improvements to this run anyways, so I think I'll just rerecord it.
I just got an HDD DVD recorder in the mail. The race is on, FQ.
Actually, hold the phone, I've actually sort of figured out a way to solve the desynching problem.  Unfortunately, I still had to rerecord everything from the Garinham's tomb and upwards, but, for the most part, I've got my issues worked out.  So, with any luck, I should be able to get the same time I had last time.

Also, as an aside, I thought of something that might really shave a lot of time off of this run.  I won't be doing this myself, as it's extremely luck dependant, but what do you think of just getting to Rimuldar and activating the Gold Glitch at Level 1, then buying a Copper Sword and getting up to Level 3 as you get the Large Shield, Full Plate, and Broad Sword?  I know that doing that is absurdly risk, but I figure that since it's literally at the beginning of the run, it's early enough to be worth risking, as opposed to say, trying to kill the Axe Knight at Level 11.

Also, I believe I made a mistake in taking out the Axe Knight with the Flame Sword, as the time it took to get it before the Axe Knight was probably just as much time as it would take to kill him after two tries with the Broad Sword, right?  Then after doing that, go get Erdrick's Sword and grind to Level 15 before getting the Silver Shield as to not risk the Golem steamrolling you, as I've had happen to me before.
Edit history:
Hsanrb: 2011-11-25 01:01:28 am
Pardon me for not being familiar at all with the NES version of DW1 (I'm planning on speedrunning the GBC versions of the 3 Dragon Warrior games casually until I pull close to Japanese times consistantly and get a GBP) but if you get the fairy flute, how easy is it to run to him be ready to tank a hit, sleep slash sleep slash until he dies? On GBC theres some risk at 8 but it can be done, or is the price of stuff so high that theres no value doing him this early.
Pretty simple I'd say, unless the Axe Knight drains you of all your resources.  Now that I think of it, rather than my idea of getting Erdrick's Sword first, whenever you get unlucky with the Golem, simply run away before you can be killed.  How about that?
Awake the gamer in me...
Quote from FionordeQuester:
Actually, hold the phone, I've actually sort of figured out a way to solve the desynching problem.  Unfortunately, I still had to rerecord everything from the Garinham's tomb and upwards, but, for the most part, I've got my issues worked out.  So, with any luck, I should be able to get the same time I had last time.

Also, as an aside, I thought of something that might really shave a lot of time off of this run.  I won't be doing this myself, as it's extremely luck dependant, but what do you think of just getting to Rimuldar and activating the Gold Glitch at Level 1, then buying a Copper Sword and getting up to Level 3 as you get the Large Shield, Full Plate, and Broad Sword?  I know that doing that is absurdly risk, but I figure that since it's literally at the beginning of the run, it's early enough to be worth risking, as opposed to say, trying to kill the Axe Knight at Level 11.

Also, I believe I made a mistake in taking out the Axe Knight with the Flame Sword, as the time it took to get it before the Axe Knight was probably just as much time as it would take to kill him after two tries with the Broad Sword, right?  Then after doing that, go get Erdrick's Sword and grind to Level 15 before getting the Silver Shield as to not risk the Golem steamrolling you, as I've had happen to me before.

It need a bunch of luck and risk to go to Rimuldar at Level 1, I don't think that's gonna work since the enemys are too strong, but I can try. We can purchase Club and some medecinal herb, useful to heal after  walk over swamp before Swamp Cave. Like I said, it need luck to run stronger enemy in Overworld and Swamp Cave.
I think it's best to grinding like Level 4 in the beginning to get Copper Sword, (you should learn Heal and Hurt at this time) and go to Rimuldar after. I don't know
I need to test.
Quote:
It need a bunch of luck and risk to go to Rimuldar at Level 1

I know, but since it's literally right at the beginning of the game, it's worth the risk, right?  In any case, what I usually did when I tried that was to sell the Torch and purchase two Herbs and a Dragon Scale, then sell the Dragon Scale.  That leaves 54G, just enough to buy a key at Rimuldar.  Despite how hard it is, in 2-3 hours worth of attempts, I managed it twice, so it is possible.
Hey guys, I have now completed grinding from Level 4 to Level 13 (following ShinerCCC's route), in 2 hours and 21 minutes!

Now, there are about five edits where I stitch together footage, as I really didn't have enough time to do it all at once, but I think it still follows the spirit of a single segment run.  So what do you think?
Don't know what to speedrun :(
I remember there being a spell or item that reduces your encounter rate. Wouldn't that be useful at the beginning of this or can you not get it yet?
There is both a spell AND an item, but the spell isn't gained until much later in the game, at like, Level 15 or something.  As for the item, I can get that at Tantegel, however, that would demand a 2nd Magic Key to get in addition to the one I use for the Gold Glitch, and there's no way any of us would be able to gather up that much money without wasting time at the beginning of the game.

Thanks though.
Don't know what to speedrun :(
No worries I figured you would do it if it was an option but I was curious. I haven't played this since I was a young kid so I don't really remember crap about the game.
I just would like to say I haven't forgotten about this.

For those who didn't know, Ryan8bit finally released his simulator in webpage form:
http://www.woodus.com/den/games/web/dwsim/battle.htm
As much as I enjoy reading this thread, I have to say if it ever gets done, it'll probably be the most boring run ever.

Heh.
Highly Evolved
Quote from ShinerCCC:
I just would like to say I haven't forgotten about this.

For those who didn't know, Ryan8bit finally released his simulator in webpage form:
http://www.woodus.com/den/games/web/dwsim/battle.htm

So HP/MP is better for the Dragonlord.

How about everything else, though?  Don't want to go through the thread, but doesn't HP/MP let things like wyverns break your defense at higher levels?
Actually, that's untrue.  The HP/MP growth type is worse than both STR/AGI and STR/HP.  I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but I'm guessing you ran through a couple of quick battle simulations only a few times?  Because the amount of times that the hero wins isn't always consistent, the best thing to do is to run something like 10 battles at once, several times. 
Also, that's not my simulator.  As I've had to reiterate many times before, that's Daddynick's program, and it has its fair share of errors and problems.  It is also extremely limited in scope in that it only simulates single battles.  It tells you nothing of efficiency or best combinations.
Highly Evolved
Quote from Fionordeguester:
Actually, that's untrue.  The HP/MP growth type is worse than both STR/AGI and STR/HP.  I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but I'm guessing you ran through a couple of quick battle simulations only a few times?  Because the amount of times that the hero wins isn't always consistent, the best thing to do is to run something like 10 battles at once, several times. 

You're right, I meant Str/HP is better than Str/Agi for Dragonlord.
Heh, I find it funny the way your avatar now has an angry expression as you're posting that XD!