Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213141516171819 -> <- 1 .. 10 .. 19 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Highly Evolved
Well, I thought you were going to do the segmented and I was doing the SS?

Jerk.  Tongue
Quote from Darkwing Duck:
Is that Ryan8Bit's simulator?  He was working on one when we were discussing the run several months ago.

No, that's DaddyNick17's simulator, which he built based on my formulas FAQ.  It's somewhat lacking in certain ways because he's not aware of the exact code's workings.  There are some rounding issues.

Also, his simulator sorta pales in comparison to mine.  His is nice and neat for the layperson's usage, but it really doesn't tell you anything all that useful.  Simply knowing how you'll fare against one metal slime isn't going to tell you whether or not it's worthwhile to fight them.  My simulator was so much more advanced in that it would plot out large lengths of the game with intricate strategies.  Giving it an interface would have taken forever because there's a billion options that I have programmed in, and it all rests in many separate files.  Putting them all in one file would be a huge clusterfuck.

However, my simulator has been on hold the last several months since I was focusing on creating a Bionic Commando music album.  Now that the hoopla surrounding that is over, I think I want to get back into this a little bit.  First, I'm going to finish the formulas FAQ and hopefully have it posted on gamefaqs.  Once that is done, I'll probably be working on the simulator FAQ, which will be the generated statistical results from the simulator I create.  The simulator itself will likely not be available for the public because I haven't designed any kind of UI, and doing so would take up far more time than I intend to spend on this.
Yes, a worthless avatar riding my posts.
The fact that you're using it at all means there's SOME sort of interface. I know even a command line is probably too much to ask for, but you should at least post the source when you're finished with it, maybe someone else will make a pretty UI.
There is an interface, but it's clunky and huge... it's just the scripts itself.  Plus, like I said, each file is separate.  For instance, I have a separate file just for the battle with the Dragonlord.  I cut out all the algorithms that aren't necessary for that and just concentrate on the important stuff.  I have tons of files like that and it would be a nightmare to have them all be together.  For an interface, there would have to be like hundreds of options that you could chose, and no one would want to program that.
Well, was attempting to do this for TG, ended up with an 8:04:00 on TGTS, bad news, the audio cables came out somewhere between 1:25:00 and 1:40:00 and pretty much end all chance of the run being submitted to SDA, good or not, probably not acceptable on TG.

But anway, a few SS notes:

1.  I whored gold to no end.  Do we REALLY need to go right after Erdrick's Sword and Silver Shield right away at 13?  There is an extreme amount of grinding in this game, I think taking the Flame Sword at 13 would be a safer bet, and grinding up to 15.  You should get the Silver Shield anyway sometime around the 15 turnover, take it, bust the Axe Knight, start the Erdrick's Sword process.

2.  Something has to be done about the grinding between 15 and 20.  I severely underestimated the time, and am wondering if you should go into Hauksness at 18 to save 10 to 15 minutes.  Starwyverns weren't being excessively nasty at 19, wondering if I should go in at 18 and grind there.

3.  I know this would be a terrible thing to lose a run on, but is with the Strength/HP code actually halfway feasable to beat the Dragonlord at 19 on the first try?  It'd be interesting to know, but a fail would be disasterous and would cost at least 8:00 of time.  I played it safe going to 20, but I had plenty of room on the Dragonlord to the point that I'm wondering if it's possible to run through him at 19 on the first try.

-James
Highly Evolved
You need to clarify that you're not doing the gold bug.
Quote from Darkwing Duck:
You need to clarify that you're not doing the gold bug.

Yeah, I'm not doing the Gold Bug.  That might impact the beginning too.

-James
I think we figured it takes about 15 minutes to grind from 18 to 19; at 19, if you make it to the Dragonlord with full MP, you almost have to lose to him on purpose. I wouldn't bother grinding to 20. The Strength/HP growth (the name 'Z' grants it) is a given.

As for the Axe Knight, once you buy the Silver Shield just start making attempts on him. I haven't tested how much luck you need in terms of single segment stuff.

If I go to Mikefest, Darkwing and I are going to race this game...whoever finishes first should submit their run to SDa =P
Quote from ShinerCCC:
I think we figured it takes about 15 minutes to grind from 18 to 19; at 19, if you make it to the Dragonlord with full MP, you almost have to lose to him on purpose. I wouldn't bother grinding to 20. The Strength/HP growth (the name 'Z' grants it) is a given.

As for the Axe Knight, once you buy the Silver Shield just start making attempts on him. I haven't tested how much luck you need in terms of single segment stuff.

If I go to Mikefest, Darkwing and I are going to race this game...whoever finishes first should submit their run to SDa =P

Honestly, after running it, it took 25+ minutes to grind to 30, I think that's time for at least 2 full attempts on the Dragonlord before you tie the grinding to 20.  With the strength code I believe you can take him down, but I'm not for sure.

And I find if you have the Flame Sword/Silver Shield and are Lv. 15, you can pretty much one-time the Axe Knight and not have to worry about failure.  Just bring 6 herbs.

-James
Edit history:
Nightmare: 2010-09-07 03:25:26 pm
Bumping this, but anyway, 7:11 TGTS (no glitches essentially), even with three major mistakes.

The mistakes:

1.  Missing the Staff of Rain going to get the Rimuldar.  Totally my fault.

2.  The Red Dragons!  Man I hate those things on the NES versions, I'm putting a YouTube video up on why you don't run this game for SDA single-segment!  6 hours something in and he totally blows up my run!

3.  The Armored Knight that put me in critical on the next run after that in Charlock Castle and I had to walk off the damage in front of the Dragonlord's Throne under the threat of Red Dragons and more Armored Knights.

Other than that Red Dragon gaffe, 2 deaths, one was a Wolf hitting a bad RNG on my first trip; the other on the Axe Knight in Hauksness.  Neither cost me terrible amounts of time.

But otherwise, very pleased with this run.  Certainly obsoletes the Ultima Gardens run.  I just wish there was a definite way to RNG the Death Necklace, that's the one thing that personally is keeping the run from hitting sub-7 hours at the moment.

I'll post some YouTube videos (especially Mr. Red Dragon) and even torrent the run in parts to interested viewers if they want to see how it goes.  I do not plan to submit a single-segment to SDA because it's hard to stamp out the mistakes in a 7 hour run AND the run is kinda ugly and unwatchable due to all the grinding.

(the video)

-James
Hmm I was also thinking there was a lacking in the Dragon Warrior Section and decided to take a look. I don't know what has been written on here. I know I completed Dragon Warrior 1 in about 7 hours and that was just while my girlfriend was at work one day so i'm sure you could easily do it quicker. I was thinking I would do Dragon Warrior 4 100%, doing optional side quests and collecting all the small medals. I thoroughly enjoy my 100% Best of luck with your run!!
Quote from charlieoneeyed:
Hmm I was also thinking there was a lacking in the Dragon Warrior Section and decided to take a look. I don't know what has been written on here. I know I completed Dragon Warrior 1 in about 7 hours and that was just while my girlfriend was at work one day so i'm sure you could easily do it quicker. I was thinking I would do Dragon Warrior 4 100%, doing optional side quests and collecting all the small medals. I thoroughly enjoy my 100% Best of luck with your run!!

Sub-7 hours is ideal, it's a matter of keeping critical mistakes down, like that 7:00 Red Dragon costly and the Armored Knight putting me on critical.  Those cost me more time than even the Staff of Rain mistake.

To be fair if this weren't a TG run and I were showing it, I'd reject it myself because of Mr. Red Dragon.

-James
Found my GBC copy, probably going to submit on this version if I do submit on this game over the NES for sheer logistical and time requirements.

I'll keep you posted.

-James
I found the Hills of Hubris (ridge of foothills south of the starting castle) was actually very useful for grinding in the early going of DW1 on GBC. The infinite gold trick most likely won't work so you'll have to construct a new route.
Edit history:
Nightmare: 2010-10-19 02:08:18 am
Nightmare: 2010-10-19 01:56:24 am
It's going pretty well, until the cart decided to play glitchy.

But essentially. pn the first run, 1:05 in, got Full Plate Armor, got Keys, about Lv. 12.

I might have to forego the Large Shield and the Silver Shield at this rate, though only time will tell.

There's really no need to do an Erdrick's Sword run in this game so far.  Damage and calcs tend to be higher.

Aiming for a 1:36 or so time, that's the Super NES time on it, and it looks like a weird port of it so far.

Basically, using a modified route as I did for TG, but generally more aggressive overall.  It's working according to plan as long as the game don't glitch.

EDIT:  Just got my ass kicked at Erdrick's Armor Axe Knight, even at Lv. 15.  Looks like you can't take him early this game, period end of sentence.  I was able to get the Large Shield, but the Silver Shield is still excessively hard to get.  I was at 15 and even with the practice deaths I was nowhere close (about 10K).  This might take some planning, especially if I'm heading after the Dragonlord at 17.

Other GBC notes:

You can take the Grave at Lv. 12.  Get it when you go to Garinham to collect the Large Shield.  The added strength bonus in this game makes this possible.

My general route:
Start
Buy Club
Level to Lv. 2
Buy Leather Armor
Level to Lv. 4
Buy Leather Shield
Level to Lv. 5
Buy Copper Sword
Head to Kol
Level to Lv. 7
Buy Hand Axe, Dragon Scale, 3 Pairs of Wings
Head to Rimuldar
Level to 8/9
Buy Half Plate Armor
Level to 10
Buy Broad Sword
Go to Token Monolith Area
Level to 12
Buy the Full Plate Armor
Wings back to Tantegel
Head to the Grave of Garinham, get SilverHarp
Head to Hauksness
Level to 13, get Return (avoid Shadow Knights and Knights)
Level to 14, you can kill Shadow Knights and Knights if you're careful
Head to Metal Slime Area
When you get Silver Shield price, head to Cantlin
Kill Golem, get Silver Shield
Back to Metal Slime Area
Level to 17
Head to Hauksness
Kill the Axe Knight, get Erdrick's Armor
Grab Erdrick's Token
Return to Tantegel, get Stones of Sunlight
Harp for Staff of Rain
Rainbow Drop
Head for Charlock
Get Erdrick's Sword
Kill the Dragonlord

That's the essential route I have planned so far.  The trips to Tantegel are going to suck, hanging around Cantlin to level when possible because of the Inn might not be a horrible idea in this version.  This might need some testing.

(note I'm using NES names, not the GBC names)

-James
I need to revise time estimates, this actually seems to play more closer to the DW 1 Mobile than DW 1 SNES.

Had a time of 2:45 up to Charlock, Lv. 17, and I found out I just can't pass.  Stone Golems and Blue Dragons have thrown away the "two and out" run rule early, the Dragonlord's Castle Map has changed AND been expanded to twice the size of the NES.  These things together, make a Lv. 17 run out of segmented look impossible at this point.  It looks like I'm going to have to level to Level 18 unfortunately.

Now if I can only get a Metal Slime killed.

Also, Golem at Cantlin is a free level.  Smiley  Enjoy!

Generally, the experience curve is the same as the NES, but enemies give about 2X the EXP.

-James
Edit history:
Nightmare: 2010-11-14 10:37:01 pm
OK, I need to ask my potential verifiers a big question:

I've reached the Dragonlord in the GBC at 18 (one time 17!), but he keeps first-turn cheap-shotting me to death pretty outright and after about 10-15 takes of the final part, I'm really not getting close to busting him.  I need to know what the lowest level you have beaten him on the GBC is and if it'd be OK if I intentional death'ed on the Dragonlord once and ran the castle twice to level up to 19, if that would be an acceptable run.

The YouTube videos haven't been ALL that much better, the lowest bust I saw was 23.

Otherwise, the run went pretty flawless.

Comments?

-James
Talk to the Hand
I've done it at 20, and I'm not sure it's even a guarantee there, so 19 would be fine with me.
I need to know, what's your reason for grinding in the medal slime zone instead of outside Rimuldar?
Edit history:
Nightmare: 2010-11-15 08:31:13 pm
Nightmare: 2010-11-15 08:29:47 pm
Nightmare: 2010-11-15 08:28:23 pm
Nightmare: 2010-11-15 03:45:53 pm
Metal Slimes are worth 775 EXP if you hit them.  That can really shorten the time to level up by quite a bit if you hit it right.

Also, not only do Forests give less enemies, hitting Werewolves below 15 is not advisable, considering you can't run from them easily in the GBC version.

Also, keeping the numbers of Shadow Knights (Demon Knights) down until you hit 15 is also advisable, since they like to dodge your attacks and take your money if you mess up.

Updated Route:

Start
Buy Club
Level to Lv. 2
Buy Leather Armor
Level to Lv. 4
Head to Kol
Firebal Enemies
Level to Lv. 5
Buy Copper Sword
Run out of MP
Buy Leather Shield
Level to Lv. 7
Buy Dragon Scale, 3 Pairs of Wings, GRAB Fairy Flute
Head to Rimuldar
Level to 8/9
Buy Hand Axe and Half Plate Armor
Level to 10
Buy Broad Sword
Go to Token Monolith Area
Level to 12
Buy the Full Plate Armor
Wings back to Tantegel
Head to the Grave of Garinham, get SilverHarp
Level to 13, get Return
Head to Hauksness
Level to 14, you can kill Knights if you're careful
Same process to 15, can kill Shadow Knights now
When you get Flame Sword price, head to Cantlin
Kill Golem, get Flame Sword (hopefully you'll hit 16 or be right around it when killing the Golem, Metal Slime on the way would be NICE)
Get the Mystic Nuts in town
Grab Erdrick's Token
Return to Tantegel
Drop Fairy Flute in Vault
Head to Hauksness
Level to 16
Go into Hauksness, kill enemies there.
Level to 17
Kill the Axe Knight, get Erdrick's Armor
Return to Tantegel, get Stones of Sunlight
Harp for Staff of Rain
KILL GWAELIN'S DRAGON!  (950 EXP's are too much to leave behind!)
Rainbow Drop
Rimuldar (Repel before entering town), Stay at Inn
Head for Charlock
Get Erdrick's Sword
Level to 18
Grab the Mystic Nuts on the last floor (MP is crucial!)
Level to 19 (the extra MP you get at 19 is crucial, while is possible to beat him with only 18 Level's MP it's not totally advisable)
Join the Dragonlord
Return to Tantegel
Buy Herbs/Torch, restock
Go to Rimuldar (Repel again, before entering town)
Stay at Inn
Go to Charlock
Descend again, CONSERVE MP AT ALL COSTS, use Herbs to heal
Kill the Dragonlord

-James
Edit history:
Nightmare: 2010-11-20 12:31:15 am
Nightmare: 2010-11-20 12:30:55 am
Practice time is over.  Starting to record for real.  Wish me luck.

EDIT:  Attempt 1 ends with a death on a Shadow Knight, Lv. 14, approximiately 1 hour 40 minutes in.

-James
This is pretty crazy. Good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/user/NightmareJames?feature=mhum#g/c/0739050A44A43479

The Dragon Warrior TG run, 7 hours 15 minutes 9 seconds, which is 45 minutes faster than UltimaGarden's time.

Preconditions and rules:  No gold glitch, no other glitches allowed.

The highlights:

Part 18-20:  The Erdrick's Armor to Erdrick's Sword section
Part 19:  Probably the part that'd net me an instant SDA rejection despite blowing the time.  I totally skip the Staff of Rain, costing me about 7:00
Part 29:  ALL YOUR RED DRAGONS ARE BELONG TO US!

I'll probably redo this sometime, just not at the moment.  I'd LIKE to take down the unofficial time of 6 hours 57 minutes (6:55 is possible), it is possible, but until then, enjoy!

-James
Isn't equipping and selling the Dragon Scale technically a bug just like the gold one?  Sure, the difference is drastic, but all the same they're both bugs.  How are these bugs defined?

Also, just looking at your opening levels, I can see a huge amount of room for improvement.  For instance, you shouldn't level in the hills north of Tantegel, you should immediately start in the hills to the SW where you will get an occasional Drakee.  Also, buying the clothes is a safe bet when you do that, and the leather armor really doesn't have that much use.  Weapons are doubly more effective than armor, so the copper sword should be a priority over leather armor and the small shield.  Also, you should really grind in the bottom strip of hills SW of Tantegel at LV 4 using hurt.  Just doing these things will save you probably 10 minutes on the way to level 5.
Edit history:
Nightmare: 2010-12-14 02:49:35 pm
Quote from Ryan8bit:
Isn't equipping and selling the Dragon Scale technically a bug just like the gold one?  Sure, the difference is drastic, but all the same they're both bugs.  How are these bugs defined?

Also, just looking at your opening levels, I can see a huge amount of room for improvement.  For instance, you shouldn't level in the hills north of Tantegel, you should immediately start in the hills to the SW where you will get an occasional Drakee.  Also, buying the clothes is a safe bet when you do that, and the leather armor really doesn't have that much use.  Weapons are doubly more effective than armor, so the copper sword should be a priority over leather armor and the small shield.  Also, you should really grind in the bottom strip of hills SW of Tantegel at LV 4 using hurt.  Just doing these things will save you probably 10 minutes on the way to level 5.

I don't know the technical definition of it, but it's been allowed since the NP days and it wasn't rejected on TG.  The gold one, however, could be considered under the score leeching policy and I wouldn't imagine it would be allowed under any circumstance.  I could always check into it and TG has been softening rules on RPG runs as of lately (FF6 excluded)

As for the opening levels, could definitely be experiimented with, but IDK if I will be getting back to this anytime soon.  I really want to finish the GBC version so we can show this on SDA (NES is just TOO long), and it's always hindsight 20/20, especially on the technically completed first one, to expect the optimized run to the max.  As for the Clothes, I would technically disagree, since Ghosts do hit a bit hard around Lv. 3-4.  The Small Shield could be pushed until later though, since I found a spot that doesn't require me to fight Skeletons and Magidrakees and Magicians tend to whore Hurt over physical attacks, definitely work.  Hurt (or Firebal) is DEFINITELY a better way to go on GBC, as it does 20 damage.

If you can beat it go ahead.  My time is limited ATM.

-James