Sad
<- 12345678 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Enhasa doesn't time runs, I do. Timing ends when the saving starts, and usually resumes when you can move again. I would need to see a video of this game to give you actual timing points.
Highly Evolved
Quote from mikwuyma:
Enhasa doesn't time runs, I do. Timing ends when the saving starts, and usually resumes when you can move again. I would need to see a video of this game to give you actual timing points.

Well exxccccuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussee me, prin....mikwuyma.  Grin

Resumes when I can move again?  That's basically what I've been doing for timing, so that's okay.  "Ends when saving starts."  That's the one where I'm unsure.  The process of saving could technically start when I first talk to the saver, or when he/she asks me if I want to save and I say "yes."  Either way, that's actually before I've been stopping timing on my run.  At most it's 8 seconds a segment though, so it's really negligible.
Edit history:
Darkwing Duck: 2009-10-19 05:04:05 pm
Highly Evolved
I'm torn at the moment.  Advice is welcomed.

I have a recorded time of 30:13, which is four seconds off my practice run which I thought at the time is an amazing time and almost 5 minutes off my initial goal.  The issue in this practice run is that I have about a 40 second mistake that looks kind of glaring.  Do I keep the segment or redo it?  I'm unsure at the moment.

EDIT: I watched through the segment some.  The mistake happens because I brain-freezed and couldn't remember the right way to push the controller on the diamond tiles and pushed the wrong way and fell down the tower.  I spend eight seconds walking back, get in a battle (that I would have randomed into anyway I think) that lasts around 40-50 seconds and take another ten seconds to get back to where I fell off.  The rest of the segment, before and after, are actually pretty tight.  I feel much better about it after watching it.  Still, I'm open for opinions.
Highly Evolved
How's this for luck.

Random encounter with three Putregons.  They have high HP so I run every time from them.

I try running.  Fail  (1/2)
Putregon uses its stronger breath attack (1/2)
I try running.  Fail  (1/2)
I try running.  Fail (1/4)

Party is wiped out.

That circumstance happens 1 in 1024 times, or a .1% chance.
Quote from Darkwing Duck:
Resumes when I can move again?  That's basically what I've been doing for timing, so that's okay.  "Ends when saving starts."  That's the one where I'm unsure.  The process of saving could technically start when I first talk to the saver, or when he/she asks me if I want to save and I say "yes."  Either way, that's actually before I've been stopping timing on my run.  At most it's 8 seconds a segment though, so it's really negligible.

Timing stops when you say "yes".
difficult and stupidly random
I watched through the segment some.  The mistake happens because I brain-freezed and couldn't remember the right way to push the controller on the diamond tiles and pushed the wrong way and fell down the tower.  I spend eight seconds walking back, get in a battle (that I would have randomed into anyway I think) that lasts around 40-50 seconds and take another ten seconds to get back to where I fell off.  The rest of the segment, before and after, are actually pretty tight.  I feel much better about it after watching it.  Still, I'm open for opinions.

If you think that the rest of the segment has such good luck that any further attempt is likely to yield a slower time, even if you don't make any real mistakes, then i'd say keep it despite the error.  But if you think a few more attempts can yield an equivalent time (or better) then it's definitely better to re-do it.

If you're unsure, then i'd recommend that you retry and set a limit:  if you can't match/beat your segment's time in X more attempts (or X more hours) then it's probably good enough to keep.
I second the idea on a set limit.  I did this recently in recording my practice videos.  If I wanted a better take at something, I'd usually give myself about three sessions to do it.  And I would only play for about two hours at a time.

This is good for preserving your sanity, and let's face it, there's other things to be doing out in the world.  Not very many, but a couple other things.
Highly Evolved
I've yet to get anything better in my tries, so assuming I keep it (and I am able to keep a save at that point, so I can redo the last two segments if the run is rejected due to that mistake, but I don't think it's egregious enough to reject), I currently stand at 4:42:22.  I can do the next segment around 35 minutes, and, for the sake of rounding, if I do a 35:38 segment, my time would be 5:18, a nice 27 minutes ahead of my original goal of 5:55:30.
Highly Evolved
I have a recorded segment of 37:24.

Total would be 5:19:48

I took about 10 seconds extra time making sure everything was in order for Zoma.  Hero to back, sage's stone to fighter without Ball of Light, Wizard's Ring use for Sage. 

The one thing in this run was that I tried to beat the annoying two Archmage, one Granite Titan combo, and I spent a few rounds trying to get the archmages down together in one round, but couldn't do and and they kept reviving each other.  Had to run around round 6.  Costs a bit of time there.  However, I am able to run an incredible amount of times on the first try.  I was flabbergasted by that.  I'm going to look over the entire run and see what I think of it at the moment.
I love default messages!
Honestly, even 5:19 is downright astounding for a game like this. It's so ridiculously luck-based that I would bet a faster run would require a surprise new route or new trick or something. I don't know for sure, obviously, since I haven't seen the run, but I can't really predict it going any faster without god-like luck.

What I'm trying to say is, don't scrap the run because of a few bad luck segments that you couldn't get to go any faster. Maybe I'm just biased because I really want to see the run, but I think a few bouts of bad-luck are par for the course in DW runs. Let's face it, these are games where the lead designer is notoriously addicted to gambling, so pretty much everything has a luck element to it.
Highly Evolved
I rewatched the final segment and deemed it unacceptable, so I tried it over again.

First try beat that time by four and a half minutes, so it was a good decision.  With that in mind, I'm keeping segment 11.

Segment 11

Target 2 years ago:    35:00
Practice Run:              30:09
Recorded Run:            30:13

Segment 12

Target 2 years ago:    40:00
Practice Run:              35:22
Recorded Run:            32:55

Total Time

Target 2 years ago:    5:55:30
Practice Run:              5:37:55
Recorded Run:            5:15:17

Had a stroke of bad luck twice in the final segment, but had a lot of good luck to counter that.  The two things that were bad was that I had three putregons breath me after a failed run (6.25%).  Vivify worked on the second try though, and while the magic drain nearly was too much, I had 41 MP getting the Sage's Stone and Wizard Ring.  That's where the second stroke of bad luck happened.  I only got one use of the Wizard's Ring before it fell apart.  I have NEVER had that happen before.  I've had it break after two uses a few times, but never on the first use.  Fortunately, I got 25 MP on the use, I think the highest amount you can get, so a little bit of good with the bad.  I had to do a couple different tactics the rest of the way to Zoma, but it worked out.  Zoma, at least to my calculations had most of his base HP of 1023.  I think the killing blow was around 980.  I hit him for 160+ at the beginning of the round after he regenerated 100 HP, so he had about 920-980 HP.  Doesn't really matter that much since Zoma is fairly easy to kill unless you get unlucky and get two breaths in the face (1/64 chance).
Highly Evolved
I wish I knew someone who could translate Ultima Garden for me.

I don't know how much they save over there, if at all.  Babelfish and Google are kind of meh on the issue.  I'm guessing they do.  There's some terminology in there that might suggest that.

Either way, using their timing methods, I think I'd be around 5:25, which is 19 minutes faster than their run.
Waiting hurts my soul...

I don't know how much they save over there, if at all.  Babelfish and Google are kind of meh on the issue.  I'm guessing they do.  There's some terminology in there that might suggest that.

Either way, using their timing methods, I think I'd be around 5:25, which is 19 minutes faster than their run.

That's actually really good considering Japanese language RPGs are usually faster just based on text scroll speed. Good job! Are we finally getting a Dragon Warrior run?
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music

TA = time attack = segmented = they save as many times as is optimum
RTA = real time attack = single-segment

BTW this doesn't make you any less awesome or anything.
RTAs are different from SS. They *can* be SS, but RTAs allow for saving, powercycling if necessary, etc.
Don't SS allow saving and powercycling if necessary? I swear we have some runs like that.

Anyway yeah, to be more precise, RTA means you did it all in one sitting. It doesn't technically have anything to do with number of segments.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Enhasa:
Don't SS allow saving and powercycling if necessary? I swear we have some runs like that.

Only when absolutely necessary to finishing the run. Usually because it's the only way to get 100%
yep
The difference between SS and RTA is that you can save and load in RTAs whenever you want in an RTA, as long as if you do it all in one playthrough. In an SS run, you can only save and load if it's necessary (game freezes otherwise or to get 100% after beating the game).
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from mikwuyma:
The difference between SS and RTA is that you can save and load in RTAs whenever you want in an RTA, as long as if you do it all in one playthrough. In an SS run, you can only save and load if it's necessary (game freezes otherwise or to get 100% after beating the game).

Oh yeah; I almost forgot about that PoP freezing bug (I think it's caused by memory overflow). Lazy developers didn't think someone would play through the whole game in one sitting.

On Topic: Are you submitting this Darkwing or are you going to try to iron out the bad luck?
Highly Evolved
Quote from ZenicReverie:
Quote from mikwuyma:

Oh yeah; I almost forgot about that PoP freezing bug (I think it's caused by memory overflow). Lazy developers didn't think someone would play through the whole game in one sitting.

On Topic: Are you submitting this Darkwing or are you going to try to iron out the bad luck?

Submitting.  Can't do any segment before the last without redoing all the segments after it.  The last segment alone was done a minute and a half faster than any time I've ever done.
I'm reminded of one of SDA's alltime greatest posts. Tongue
Can't wait to see this run. I loved this game when I played it on the GBC.
Any progress on this run?