Smiley
Sad
<- 12345678 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Yes, a worthless avatar riding my posts.
The route is gone. How did you save so much time in Chapter 3? Did you go back to my suggested route? (grab Chain Sickle while naked, die, run to castle for nightfall, etc)
Nope. I saved time by avoiding or running from random battles for the entire chapter (except for the Broad Sword drop in the first segment), not hiring Strom and Laurent, not returning Tov, suiciding after getting the Silver Statuette, and manipulating three high prices for various armor at the armor seller in Bonmalmo to get enough gold to buy the shop. Since Taloon with not be used in battle at all in chapter 5, he is level 2 at the end of this chapter instead of level 9.
Chapter 4 done!

Chapter 4 time 19:05 (vs. 30:37 for previous run)

Total time 1:57:39 (vs. 2:37:37 for previous run)

40 minutes ahead already zomgwtf
Highly Evolved
What did you do differently in Chapter 4?
Probably went to Keeleon at level 1 to add it to the Return list...can't think of any other improvements except less grinding.

I should have seen this coming, I knew my segmented route didn't push anything too hard since I came up with it so fast. Here we are making yet another run *_*
What's the Japanese record?
Edit history:
chessjerk: 2011-02-13 07:14:48 pm
chessjerk: 2011-02-13 06:56:29 pm
chessjerk: 2011-02-13 06:55:45 pm
New for Chapter 4:

The first segment is about a minute long (20 seconds of play-time after gaining control), enough time to watch the opening sequence, get the herb, and save (I am SO SICK of seeing the opening to chapter 4 now)

2nd segment:
Didn't get the 80 gold or Strength Seed in the basement of Monbaraba
At Kievs, sold Nara's weapon and the found Lifeforce nuts, bought 2 wings for Mara and a Feather Hat for Nara
Got Orin at level 1, skipped the nuts in the cave, unfortunately took a long time to suicide in the cave after getting the Sphere of Silence Sad
Didn't revive Nara, save

3rd segment:
Wings to Kievs, walk to Keeleon, walk to Aktemto (no encounters!), save

4th segment:
Into the mine, Mara collected the acorns, Tarot cards, and gunpowder, suicided again, revived Nara

5th segment:
Wings to Keeleon, Nara drew four cards before dying (including the Card of Strength for Orin, who murdered Balzack quite efficiently)
Collected boarding pass, walked to Haville and went straight to the ship (I will buy Bronze Armor for CJ by selling unneeded equips on Mara and Nara in chapter 5)
Edit history:
chessjerk: 2011-03-06 10:56:46 am
Update:

I'm up to Keeleon, about to get Ragnar.

Total time so far: 3:07:02

Comparable time through old run: 4:02:35

Time savings so far: 55:33
And...I'm officially one hour ahead!

Total time through going through the shrine to get the Staff of Transform: 3:42:31

Previous time: 4:43:53

Time savings: 1:01:22
If my old route is getting thrashed this badly...I'm never making a route for a run again. =P
LOL Shiner. It wasn't just "your" old route, I bear some of the responsibility too. Smiley

Also, I miscalc'd my time from before. NOW I'm 1 hour ahead after going through the Colossus.

Total time: 3:52:39
Previous time: 4:52:53
Savings: 1:00:14

Some other stats that may further illuminate the improvements in this run:

Random battles encountered/run from/failed to run/suicided in:

This run: 217/100/29/8 (lol more death abuse)
Previous run: 295/100/60/5

Change in important stats on main party members:

Ragnar Str/Max HP: +10/+7
Alena Str/Max HP: +2/+21
Cristo Max HP/Max MP: +19/-3
CJ Str/Max HP: +5/+4
Edit history:
DoubleThink: 2011-03-13 10:47:12 am
There's a word for that
Those are some enormous time savings. I didn't watch the current run in detail, but I'll have to compare the two after this one is done to see just how improved it is.
And after a marathon session today, I'm done!

For you verifiers out there, keep an eye on the verification thread.

I won't spoil the final time...unless you REALLY want to know ahead of time.
Professional Second Banana
Looking forward to seeing my favorite 8-bit RPG beaten even faster!
Holy crap chessjerk, you're awesome. 
Well, the new run was accepted. This was the first piece of good news I received this week.

The second was the arrival of my daughter Lylah Emily:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/p5040022.jpg/
Edit history:
puwexil: 2011-05-06 04:45:47 am
Professional Second Banana
Congrats - both the run and Lylah are beautiful!
Arrested for felony abuse of emotes
Congratulations on both! ^^
The run is up! I hope everyone enjoys it!
Shiner, I have no idea if you are still planning a SS run of DWIV, but here is an RTA that was pointed out to me on GameFAQs today:

Part 1: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21473676

Part 2: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21477212

Final time after credits is 5:35:31. I haven't gone through the entire video yet, and it's in Japanese, so I still need to try and decipher what the player did in some spots, but it looks to be an interesting watch.
Quote from chessjerk:
Shiner, I have no idea if you are still planning a SS run of DWIV, but here is an RTA that was pointed out to me on GameFAQs today:

Part 1: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21473676

Part 2: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21477212

Final time after credits is 5:35:31. I haven't gone through the entire video yet, and it's in Japanese, so I still need to try and decipher what the player did in some spots, but it looks to be an interesting watch.

I showed that link, there is a Japanese Ustream runner that does attempts of DQIV daily that I watch all the time but free ustream channels dont do recordings anymore so this was the only recorded run I could find. I know the fastest RTA I've seen is ~5:15 (timing stops on The End) Maybe theres a SS recording that fast on nico, but dragon quest is popular so filtering thru for the good times might be worth investigating.
Highly Evolved
Any DQIII runs that are findable?  I've done a bit of looking but have come up with nothing.
Unless someone is planning on running the Super Famicom Version (or GBC, with the stat seeds the routes can be interchanged pending any AI/version differences) I haven't seen one. WR for that one is close to 2:40.  The RTA's for that one seem to have died down compared to earlier in the year as most of the runners I see streaming have moved to DQV outside of the occasional big race.
Highly Evolved
Quote from Hsanrb:
Unless someone is planning on running the Super Famicom Version (or GBC, with the stat seeds the routes can be interchanged pending any AI/version differences) I haven't seen one. WR for that one is close to 2:40.  The RTA's for that one seem to have died down compared to earlier in the year as most of the runners I see streaming have moved to DQV outside of the occasional big race.

So no one does the Famicom version anymore?  That's disappointing. 
http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/32138491

Faster FC DQIV RTA, timing measured from power-on to The End was 4:57:49; runner was 全部2chのせい.

Apparently, the current fastest time is 4:22:01, same timing conventions.  I swear that this run was floating around on nicovideo some time ago, but I can't find it anymore.