--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Gorash: 2005-06-11 09:01:45 pm
${$uid.$user}{' usertext'}
Let me guess: the only things you carry in that one are potions. I did my last try half naked because no decent items dropped, but with that time stopping to pick up anything seems unlikely...

I'm at my parents place over the weekend so I can't record anything anyway Sad

Stubgaard:
The usual answer is as much strength as you need for your desired equip, rest vit. If you try to get maximal blocking chance put 150 into dex, else none. If you get mana probs... compensate with items and pots, or if you are on closed ladder, get Spirit or Insight rune words. Insight in a might mercenary is a total game breaker...
Jack of all Trades
I need a verifier for my run. PM me and I'll link you to the upload area and you can get 'em.
I am so psyched about this speedrun that I decided to stop lurking and give a shout-out to Marshmallow. He has done some really awesome stuff in other games, and I can't wait to see what new insights he will bring to one of my favorite games!

Also, I remember when people were nay-saying the entire concept of a Diablo 2 speed run. I am glad that the first published run will not be manipulating the seed or the /players. This will give it legitamacy and force follow on speed runners to focus on what's in front of them, which will hopefully make for better and better runs.

I only have a non-gaming computer these days so THANK YOU Marshmallow for the vicarious "pleasure of the hunt", and thanks Radix et. al. for this web-page!  :cheers:
Your almighty lordship
The only negative thing I have to say is:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE SHIFT CLICK TO REFILL YOUR BELTS!!!
I thought that too, but it really makes little difference.
Marsh's a mouse acrobat in most of the game, must be all that RTS playing.

If there's anything, a few segmentation and route changes could probably shave off a few minutes...

Btw.: How will timing in the last segment be in this game?
Start of dying animation of Baal?
Your almighty lordship
I consider the dying animation to be the fairest, considering you can force save and exit at the time and end the game.

As for the belt, I know it doesn't save much time, but it makes marsh look like such an amateur :-/.
What's the difference between shift clicking and normal "dargging"? does shift clicking move the potion automatcally for you?
Jack of all Trades
Bahaha, that's hilarious. Sometimes I thought to myself "I wish there was a way to easily transfer pots to the belt!" After all these years I've never heard or seen that anywhere. I wonder how many people on b.net know about it... D:
You probably know all this already marshmallow, but you can (IIRC) shift click to make scrolls go into tomes and also shift click (or right click?) on shop items to buy as many as you can afford.

I can't wait to see this run! 2 hours!?! Smiley
Jack of all Trades
Yeah I knew those...
Edit history:
Lag.Com: 2005-06-15 11:34:57 pm
sda loyalist
By the way, for anybody interested in Diablo II general character strategies and such like Stubby was asking for earlier, [url]www.diabloii.net[/url] is pretty much definitive, and its forums are always busy. I think.

As for that... yeah, this run is shaping up nicely. Smiley Having done a lot of play of LoD recently (i.e., this week), I can say that Werewolf Druid is perfectly viable even on /players8, and so is the outrageous-amount-of-damage Martial Arts ninja, she's a bit weak on the HP though.
For anyone else trying runs, Hsarus' Iron Heel are hardly the rarest thing in the world (found one every character I ever started), and the speed bonus is nice. Of course there are Uniques which do that too, or you could pick a class which has speed increases early (such as Assassin... *inno*). But Hsarus' is pretty easy to find... I think something's wrong with dii.net, it seems to list it as Qlvl 17 in the tables, and Qlvl 4 in the set description. You can get it in Act 1, so Qlvl 4 it is. That's a LOT of monsters in A1 which can drop it. Smiley Hell, maybe wearing a lot of Magic Find would be a viable way to run, if it nets you some speedups.

Would it be quicker than just not going into menus though? Mmm... might find it hard to get through Act 2 with no Lightning Resist... damn beetles. Smiley

Edit:// It also lists Hsarus' Neat Shoes in TC Armor 12, so god knows where it really is. Someone enlighten me. Smiley
polak
Quote:
I scrapped by and got sub-2h.

marsh you are sick. how can you do so many good runs?
Sub-2h? That's just for act 1, right?
Marsh, can you link the upload area, where everbody can see your run? Do it public!
Edit history:
Gorash: 2005-06-16 10:29:06 am
Errrm, no it's for the entire game.
I was baffled too, but I can see now why he said "screw /players"...

And I guess it will be public soon, and then we can start shaving minutes off Wink
The sorc must be tried; if only to elucidate why she can't hang when you'd think she'd be the best. Especially on normal when monsters have few resistances and in 1.10 where mana can be bought on the cheap in the towns.
Jack of all Trades
A sorc is bad because it takes an extremely long time to reach a level where she can dominate. What is common with all the speedy characters that have been successfully attempted ("speedy" I believe being able to beat normal in under 3 hours or so) is that they either start with or can quickly obtain (say, lvl 6) an effective area affect spell.

Sorcs might've been a contender if it weren't for the inferno bug. Good job, Blizzard.

As for doing it on players 1, I did it that way because of the bosses more than anything. In the rest of the game your attack power goes up and matches nicely the hp of the enemies, but the bosses take too long and are just big old tanks. With players 1, I beat the game at level 21...at 5, 30ish.
Edit history:
Coriolanus: 2005-08-02 09:32:31 pm
of course, im in the dark until i see your assassin run, but what I'm wondering is this: take the sorceress from her "take off point" where she can  dominate. (I don't know, level 12 with nova and a +3 to nova staff could be good)  From that point is her rest of the game speed any good? She gets teleport at 18, so if we drop her in a suitable point of the game, is her speed from that point on any good?

I'd think that she'd have to go back to town alot to refill her entire inventory with mana potions.

For level 6 has anyone tried gas bombs and frost nova? Those might mow stuff down fairly well. But it is all moot if she, during no stretch of the game, is the fastest. By "stretch" one could mean character levels or areas of the game.

Also, what about a coop run? What would be the logistical challenges of getting the video for two or more players? Is there a way to make splitscreen demo videos or 4-way vids?
Edit history:
Gorash: 2005-06-17 12:30:41 am
Quote:
of course, im in the dark until i see your assassin run, but what I'm wondering is this: take the sorceress from her "take off point" where she can  dominate. (I don't know, level 12 with nova and a +3 to nova staff could be good)  From that point is her rest of the game speed any good? She gets teleport at 18, so if we drop her in a suitable point of the game, is her speed from that point on any good?

Teleport and Nova are expensive, and I mean expensive like in not compensated with mana pots. Also Andariel is a nice burden (with 50% lightning res) to any lightning based char. Also, even if you hit lv18 during act3 you'll probably rather want to get some exp from the mobs instead of teleporting from them. Teleporting would benefit you starting act4.

Quote:
For level 6 has anyone tried gas bombs and frost nova? Those might mow stuff down fairly well. But it is all moot if she, during no stretch of the game, is the fastest. By "stretch" one could mean character levels or areas of the game.

Frost Nova is possibly the most useless skill I know for such a purpose.
On lv1 it uses up 9 mana to do 2-4 AoE damage. And that's a lv6 spell. And even if you manage to get that to level10 (meaning you'll get to level 15) it uses 18 mana to do 22-28 damage. On the same char level the wake of fire trap does around 20 dam in average (for each wave, so x5 overall) dam AoE for a mere 13 mana.

The potions are not limited to one char though Wink

Quote:
Also, what about a coop run? What would be the logistical challenges of getting the video for two or more players? Is there a way to make splitscreen demo videos or 4-way vids?

Now that's where you can show off. My personal experience is that even if you know enough people, you never get enough of them into one place to pull off such a thing. Getting it into one video is minor compared to getting this recorded in the first place.
This is something I so want to see x)
I'm glad it doesnt use /players.
Jack of all Trades
It's on the SDA now. Radix whipped the comments out of me with a cat-o'-nine tails.
OMG!! There is a new lord of distruction and all shall cower in fear at the sound of his name- marshmallow....  Wink

Well done man, very well done!!
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
MY GOD!  Shocked

*Uninstalling Diablo2*
*Go cry in corner*  :-[
im dl it and watching soon Cheesy

Maybe if... maybe if I kill Marshmallow... his 1337 gaming skills will transfer over to me....

Heeeeere Marshmallow, Marshmallow, Marshmallow...