List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Darkwing Duck (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
A/V: Oof, the wavy lines across the video are pretty rough to bear at times.  It’s not so bad in the levels themselves, but with certain backgrounds (e.g. pink/orange sunset in the intro and during level transitions, the start of level 2, the start of level 5) they’re highly visible in full-screen.  After awhile (see Level 3 below), I noted some audio de-sync, I believe, which wasn’t present in the first level.

Level 1 (Sewers): Damage invincibility usage is expert at the start there.  The dodging stuff at 1:01-1:02 made my mouth drop open comically (in a good way!).  Really good placement of character just at the edge of enemy hitboxes (1:17-1:20).  GREAT jump at 1:22/1:23 to hit the edge of the ledge below.  Some more really good jumps and more nice invincibility from damage near level’s end.  Looks like Liquidator cooperated about as well as could be expected.

Level 2 (City Center): Favorite was the arrow shoot/jump near the end (3:37).  Solid altogether, but the sky background makes those wavy lines pretty darn visible.  Wolfduck looks good to me.

Level 3 (Bridge): Started noticing an audio de-sync with video at this point, I think.  Jump landing SFX coming a bit after the fact and the like, but maybe I’m imagining that?  Don’t think so, though.  That double bat-shooting at 4:57 was great.  Quackerjack looked like it went okay, but maybe could have been better?

Level 4 (Woods): First really noticeable error to my eyes in the 7:30-7:34 range, probably lost 2-3 seconds.  Funny, though.  I can’t imagine Bushroot going any better.

Level 5 (Warehouses): The platforming is pretty much as great as ever throughout, but the wavy lines’ prominence shoots way up with the sky background at the start of this level.  Megavolt has to be the lowlight of the run so far.

Level 6 (Tower): Missed shot at 11:47/11:48 leads to a tiny bit of lost time (1 second?), but nothing too bad.  Moliarty seems perfect and non-RNG dependent.

Level 7 (Ship): Lots of great edge of ledge/hitbox action in the first part of this level.  More good use of damage/invincibility abuse and a single purposeful death to round it off nicely.  Steelbeak was great.

I reeeeeeally wish the video quality were better as most of the gameplay/execution is top notch.  Those wavy lines are really distracting when they’re noticeable.  If experts disagree, great, but my uninformed feeling is this is a reject based on video quality.  Tell me if I’m off-base because otherwise it’s a very solid accept.  I read the runner comments after writing up my own comments and I agree with his/her assessment of where the mistakes are.  If this does end up being rejected, I’d really encourage the runner to do it again; most of the run was wonderful!

As time goes, I think it starts about 0:24 when the player can first move around in the stage select, and ends with the last shot on Steelbeak at 14:18.  So around 13:54 for the final time (+/- 2 seconds).  If time starts when Darkwing can first move, the start is around 0:31, so 13:47-ish.

Quote:
I'm not feeling well as of this opinion, so I will keep it short, sweet and to the point. Gameplay is great, and like one verifier, I also noticed an audio desync. Video quality needs improving, as the wavy lines may be considered detrimental to SDA's quality requirements. Overall, my final decision will be reject, as the video quality needs improved. The wavy lines are too much of a distraction.

Decision: reject.

Quote:
The gameplay is wonderful. A few minor mistakes, but I was quite impressed overall. I was particularly impressed by the use of invulnerability and ledge jumps. Weapon usage was very well planned and executed.

As stated pretty clearly by the other verifiers so far, the video quality could use some improvement.

I'm actually pretty torn - I found it watchable, but I'm not sure where to draw the line for SDA's standards. Not to mention these are the verification files, and the final product may be different.

I'm going to say accept. That's on the grounds that you folks can reject it on grounds of video quality if it needs to be.

Quote:
I guess I might be the only verifier that has put time into this speedrun, so I'll be the most critical.  Plus, I have personal involvement, of course.  :p

This game is quite hard.  There are a lot of precision jumps, and the firing mechanic is a bit clunky.

Bud Flood:

Missed that jump over the pit.  Ideally, you land on the platform above the sniper joe ripoff and keep going.  This allows you to damage boost to the right off the second parachuting egg into the top sniper joe, thus taking only two hits.  Tough trick, but a bit disappointed not to see it.

Precision jump over the flame thrower eggman.  Good.

Not the perfect Liquidator, but got the first early pop up, so it's good enough.

Wolfduck:

Precision jumps go well.  Wolfduck himself goes well, especially since you got a big gas drop earlier.

Good way of getting rid of that helicopter eggman. 

What I don't get is that the runner jumps on the second lamp at the top of the climb, something he found himself or through the TAS, because I never did, but he insists on jumping on the first lamppost after the first balloon instead of jumping to the second one there.  A minor squabble, time wise, but it's an easy jump, and if you fail it, you fall onto the first lamppost anyway. 

Getting hit by the turtle doesn't matter since you have to wait for it to shoot its shell anyway.

Toy maker:

Precision jump over thunder gas.

Stage is pretty easy otherwise.  Bit of bad luck on the sniper joe.  Only one arrow for Quackerjack, but this is a breather stage after the thunder gas jump.

Runner used arrows against Wolfduck.  Only place he gains time over a standard run, really.  Still have to be consistent, though, and I'd call this a standard first three stages.

The Reg:

Shouldn't have gotten hit by that first flower. 

Big gas drop is handy.

Bad mouse knight. 

Other than those two hits, the jumping is pretty tight.

Really good Bushroot.  The runner's use of the jumping in air trick really broke the boss.  Bushroot is MUCH longer without it.  Basically another precise jump.

Sparky:

It's a minor frame thing, but the runner really should jump immediately after landing on those first fiew pit jumps.  I lag when I land in this game, but not if I jump immediately, so a good chunk of frames were needlessly lost here.

Missed a precision jump after the health refill, cost him a hit and lost time.

Arrow use is a good timesaver.

Bad Megavolt, but timing is surprisingly annoying for this boss, and given that I can hang on the lamp on different vertical pixels makes my shots a bit different.

Moliarty:

His route and planning for this stage is much better than mine.  Dealing with the basketball kangaroos is a routing conundrum.  A missed jump here and there.  Skipped arrow gas (acts as big gas can if you have that gas) that I don't.

Makes the hero jump over the kangaroo.  I like.

Another thing the runner should have used of mine is on the climb, move horizontally on a couple of the jumps so that you can jump immediately over the turtle rather than jump straight up and run to the sweet spot to jump.  Not a huge thing, but more time saved.

Use of the arrow on the climb is a noticeable time saver. 

Tremendous Moliarty.  Timing and precision inputs. 

F.O.W.L.

Runner takes the easy road for the most part.  Shoots the first cannon...is it a cat?  Optimally, you jump over it, which is an extremely precise jump.  This stage is full of nothing but basically perfect jumps to do it optimally.  For instance, you can hop over the last cannon cat, land behind him, jump on the sniper joe ledge, precision jump over him and fall down the hole.  I think I've done it damageless once.  You have ZERO leeway to do it optimally.  The runner choose not to do this except for the sniper joe jump, which he is successful at. 

The health saving not doing the optimal path lets him damage boost through the wooden horse duck things.

Last screen is chock full of precision jumping.  It is possible to do this room damageless up to the final fire sailor duck, but jumps have to be perfect.  Gets hit twice on the first set of three and jumps to the top hook for some reason.  Loss of time going for that top hook when you can just drop from the hook before it and reach the bottom hook.  Fortunately, there were first shots going by, so I don't think it cost time.

Not getting hit lets you skip the health kit, and the fire duck after gets one less cycle, so a small time loss there.  Expected, really, given the difficulty of this stage.

Steelbeak is easy once you get past the first cycle.

Plenty of improvement here.  There aren't major time losses, except maybe Sparky, but there are minor things that can add up over time.

This is extremely hard to speedrun, most especially the final stage.  Runner makes it look easier to speedrun than it is.  It's a pretty clear accept on gameplay.

The video quality and audio/video desync are more a factor than the gameplay.

Decision: Accept

Reason: We should be able to fix the desync and nate gave the interference lines a pass.

Congratulations to Jonathan 'Joka' Karlsson!
Thread title:  
1-Up!
Joka, if you submit again make sure you get your interference issue resolved. This is the very low end of what we'll accept in that department.
Fucking Weeaboo
What? Darkwing Duck didn't do this Darkwing Duck speedrun?! What has this world COME TO?!
Edit history:
Joka: 2013-03-27 12:50:52 am
Joka: 2013-03-25 02:16:15 pm
Personal text
Hi everybody! Thanks for all the great comments. I'll be sure to take them all into consideration if/when I do another run.

Some comments on the comments:

So yeah, the three big lowlights of this run is the knight mouse in bushroots stage, the megvolt fight and the video quality.

The knight mouse is just horrible aiming by me. No excuses. Almost reset at this point, but drops/randomness of the first stage(s) kills most runs and I just felt like completing a run for a change.
For the fight vs Megavolt I actually have a much better strategy, but he didn't cooperate at all :/
Then the video quality... I don't actually know what to do about that other than buy a new NES. I've tried with all kinds of AV-cables, with/without splitters. It doesn't help. If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with everything Verifier #4 says.
The last stage in particular. Whenever I get to it, I have an optimal plan of everything I want to do, which I modify when I don't get drops/miss jumps etc.. so I very rarely (never) get the perfect stage :/ I would at least have liked a health drop so I didn't have to take an intentional death.

Thanks everyone Smiley

EDIT: Spelling :/
Willing to teach you the impossible
Quote from Jokaah:
Then the video quality... I don't actually know what to do about that other than by a new NES. I've tried with all kinds of AV-cables, with/without splitters. It doesn't help. If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

Could be your capture device. I dont know what you are using but I tried to get another capture card and it had tearing in the video so I had to trash it. Just a thought if you tried everything else.
Personal text
Quote from Heidrage:
Quote from Jokaah:
Then the video quality... I don't actually know what to do about that other than by a new NES. I've tried with all kinds of AV-cables, with/without splitters. It doesn't help. If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

Could be your capture device. I dont know what you are using but I tried to get another capture card and it had tearing in the video so I had to trash it. Just a thought if you tried everything else.

Well.. the picture looks the same on my TV, so I don't think it's the capture device :/
Fucking Weeaboo
What are you using to capture with? Hardware, software, and codec.
Personal text
dazzle + virtualdub, but as I said.. the capture looks exactly like it does on my TV
Not a walrus
Is this a toploader?
Personal text
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
Is this a toploader?

Nope
at agdq 2011 we had a cheap ac adapter cause this ... replaced it with an official nintendo one and it went away.
Personal text
Quote from nate:
at agdq 2011 we had a cheap ac adapter cause this ... replaced it with an official nintendo one and it went away.

:O !
I'll check this out. I just need to get a new adapter.
Personal text
I love you nate!
Crystal clear picture now! Cheesy
ok cool. moral of the story ... just keep hitting shit until it works. it's only a matter of time.
Willing to teach you the impossible
♥ for nate