List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DarkwingDuck.html

Darkwing Duck (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Let me just start off by saying I don't run this game, but I've certainly beaten it and have watched the speedrun for this game evolve. As such, my feedback is not very in-depth, but this game is pretty straightforward anyway.

When does the run start? When the runner gains control at the menu or when the runner gains control of the character in the first stage they select?
Run ends at 13:19

Audio and video quality are fantastic, no issues whatsoever.

I'm also embarrassingly unfamiliar with character names, so I'll go by stage numbers.

First stage:
Already a good showcase of what's to come. Precise jumps, a clear showing of level knowledge, and careful usage of taking hits to save time. If I recall, this boss can be random, and it treats the runner well.

Second stage:
More of the same, really. Smooth stage, smooth boss. If only there were more ways to take advantage of those health drops the runner was getting!

Third stage:
Back to the arrow gun, and good use is made of it. Can't tell if the hits from the turtles were intentional, but if they weren't, they costed very little time. Boss is swiftly dropped with well placed arrows.

Fourth stage:
Great jumping between the vines to deal with the birds. One missed arrow shot on the boss, not much time lost with some good pellets after.

Fifth stage:
This stage is great to show the concept of "takes damage to save time." Another unfortunate missed arrow, but it only took one more shot to finish the boss!

Sixth stage:
First obvious use of cape to block something, yay! Frivolous dancing on the platforms for style (obviously not at the cost of speed). Boss goes down relatively quickly.

Seventh stage:
I always love watching this stage in a speedrun after all the trouble it caused playing casually. Again, effective use of damage to save time and a smooth boss fight.

Credits:
Flew off the bike. Instant reject. I swear, can't we get a competent runner? Everything seemed to be going well up to this point...

Jokes aside, this is a very solid run. It's not perfect, but it is VERY good. Without routing improvements, beating this run would be quite a challenge.

Decision:
Accept!

Quote:
To the verifier before me - the stage select is part of the game's timing, it starts after the cutscene talking to Hooter, I believe.

The run starts at 0:21 for me given that, and indeed ends at 13:19, also confirming the 12:58 that the runner stated in his (fairly short) comments.

There's only a few minor mistakes I spotted, mostly damage boosts going into the wrong direction, but overall this run was very good, including a cooperative Liquidator.
Accept.

Quote:
First evident mistakes I noticed are in level 3 with the hits on the 2 turtles, but it seems like their hitboxes are crazy wide.  A second lost or so?  Whatever.

Quackerjack and Wolfduck fights are crazy improved over last run.  Good luck or better strategy/manipulation?  Either way, awesome.

Lost another second or two to missing a shot on Bushroot (as noted above).

Juuuust missed that jump at ~8:31.  In that same stage (Megavolt's), great enemy killing keeps the lag to a minimum.  Oops, another missed shot on a boss, but the electro-rat goes down pretty quickly anyway.

Jumped juuuust a little early at ~10:18.  Moliarty a pushover with the right strat.

Miss very tough-looking jump at ~11:51 costing a couple seconds (maybe the mistake of the run?  that's a compliment).  Another slight flub at ~12:53 (I think, anyway).  One shot misses Steelbeak by a hair because he's still invincible, but damn, nice stuff, particularly the first half of the fight.  This is a great stage 7 with a lot of really nice landings just in front of enemies, and a very good run on the whole.  Improvable, but only if you want to drive yourself crazy, I'd imagine.

Accept.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Jonathan 'Joka' Karlsson!
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Joka: 2013-08-30 03:18:24 pm
Joka: 2013-08-30 03:18:12 pm
Personal text
Yay Cheesy

Edit: Run is available here, incase anyone wants to see it before it's posted on SDA. Crappy Youtube-quality though...