<- 1234 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Sword: 2011-05-23 05:56:53 pm
I decided to whack out Wrath of Cortex some more and got the full 106% completion. You're right Ace, it is a good game, very similar to that of Warped. The loading times are absolutely miserable, however. I would consider doing a run of this game after my work on this game is done, but 20 second loading screens entering AND exiting a level, plus with the amount of levels there are, along with backtracking to previous levels... an hour/hour and a half of the run with be composed of loading screens. But that's not to worry yet - I'll find out more about what people think of that game later.

I was exploring and messing about today when I uncovered a bug - you're able to get stuck in one of the pits. Coincidentally, this pit is right next to the Blue Gem path on Jungle Rollers, where you need to collect the Blue Gem from Toxic Waste to lower yourself into one of the pits and collect 6 hidden boxes. If you could somehow glitch the game and trick it you may be able to get those boxes without the Blue Gem... but it's proving very difficult. Then there is the issue of getting out of the pit... there are loads of problems that come with this.

It's late here so I don't have a video to show, but I will make one tomorrow showing it off. I will also post it in the TAS thread and see what they can do with it.
Socially awkward ;P
Few years ago, my copy of Crash wouldn't let me get on the blue gem, so I glitched into the hole, got the boxes, died and entered nBrio's bonus before finishing the level. I don't know why but I got the gem even though I died o_0. I never understood. (I don't remember how i died too -_-', WTF moment)
@skychase2rebirth; That's really weird. It would have been amazing if you got that on tape, I could have tried to re-perform it... although what you said doesn't make much sense (like you said, if you died, then you should not get the gem at the end, because all the crates spawn back each time you die, and the N.Brio bonus round does not save your box progress mid-level)

Plus, there is nowhere to die in the area where you collected the boxes. Unless you glitched through one of the walls (doesn't seem likely, they are well programmed) or it triggered that you were out of bounds and it killed you after you broke the boxes. The fact that you don't remember how you died doesn't help, either...

It just sounds to me like your copy of Crash was so damaged that it had game breaking glitches. That's the only thing that I can think of.

Here's the video for those who don't know what I'm talking about -

I'll post it on the TAS thread tomorrow most likely. Thoughts on this?
Socially awkward ;P
Quote from Sword:
@skychase2rebirth; That's really weird. It would have been amazing if you got that on tape, I could have tried to re-perform it... although what you said doesn't make much sense (like you said, if you died, then you should not get the gem at the end, because all the crates spawn back each time you die, and the N.Brio bonus round does not save your box progress mid-level)

If I remember my first Crash cd had a big scratch on it, that's the only explanation... lol
That would explain everything Tongue Guess I'll rule that out for now and focus on finishing a run.

Speaking of which I already did two full on practice runs at the end of May which I documented...

May 27th

Start = 10:10PM
Island 1 = 10:10PM - 10:25PM (15 minutes)
Island 2 = 10:25PM - 10:53PM (28 minutes)
Island 3 = 10:53PM - 11:47PM (54 minutes)
Backtrack = 11:47PM - 12:38AM (51 minutes)
Finished = 12:38AM
End time = 2 hours, 28 minutes

May 29th

Start = 7:45PM
Island 1 = 7:45PM - 8:00PM (15 minutes)
Island 2 = 8:00PM - 8:32PM (32 minutes)
Island 3 = 8:32PM - 9:19PM (47 minutes)
Backtrack = 9:19PM - 10:13PM (54 minutes)
Finished = 10:13PM
End time = 2 hours, 28 minutes

Devastating that they both ended up being the same and only beating my original run by 4 minutes. I'm actually positive sub 2 hours is humanly doable and like I've said before, once I hit the sub 2 hour mark I'll start recording full runs.

I also recently upgraded my TV (12" > 42") so I might need some time to adapt. I was able to perform the Jungle Roller Gem Skip fairly quickly on it though, so I have no worries.

TASVideos.org is not loading for me currently so I have no clue as to if I've been replied to or not. I'll check on it later.
Give me money or I shoot you in face
Crash Bandicoot games are so out of my league for speed running Tongue Me and my brother used to spend hours and hours and hours, eventually days trying to do those in the series. It all seemed okay, but the ones we got properly stuck on were slippery climb, and the ones with the continuous bridge that has all the little problems and wooden cracks in them.

I wouldn't know how to even do them smoothly let alone speed run them. I think this is going to be a veryy entertaining one to see by the end ;P
Heavy Metal Powered
That looks like some nice progress Sword, nice upgrade on TV Smiley Hopefully that glitch will lead to a blue gem skip, though I cannot figure out how Sad

There was some issue with a router somewhere along the line to TASvideos, it has been fixed now and the site is loading as it should again. You should share your find there. I saw that you have a reply to your last post there anyway, it seems like the yellow gem skip works on console, it just needs pixel-perfection, I suggest that it's something left for TASing and maybe segmented runs for now.

Keep the spirit high, I will await the next update.
I didn't want to make new topic so I post this here.

Would it be good idea speedrun any& category too?
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2011-08-02 08:11:07 am
Wow. Very nice job samura1man Cheesy

Is the suiciding after hitting a checkpoint to regain the mask? Because every time you do it I'm like "Why did he miss the jump" Tongue
Edit history:
Samura1man: 2011-08-02 09:43:35 am
Samura1man: 2011-08-02 09:43:18 am
Samura1man: 2011-08-02 09:41:13 am
Samura1man: 2011-08-02 09:41:05 am
Samura1man: 2011-08-02 09:40:53 am
I think you haven't play Crash 1. If you die in Crash 2 or 3, you can keep boxes, but not in Crash 1. If you want a gem you have to be alive and collect all boxes, if you die you don't get gem, because all boxes come back, game doesn't count boxes if you die after check point.

In Jaws of Darkness I forgot to die, so game count 55 boxes, that was big mistake.
I did 100% speedrun just for fun and got 1:48:39, I suprised because I was doing this for fun and under 2 hours was goal, of course I made many mistakes, over 10 minutes maybe.
Whaaaaaat...

I assume unrecorded then?
Sorry for the late anwser MGTjumper, I didn't record, but I streamed with bad quality and audio.
After Any% I wanted do something different so I select 100% and got 1:48:39 with first attempt.
I practiced hard stages and watched TAS run.

I was wondering why not make a new thread for Crash Bandicoot 1-3, I'm really interested to improve trihex's Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3 100% also and speedrun Crash Bandicoot 1 for SDA.
Edit history:
HalfMillennium: 2011-08-17 12:14:40 pm
HalfMillennium: 2011-08-17 12:12:48 pm
HalfMillennium: 2011-08-17 12:12:41 pm
HalfMillennium: 2011-08-17 12:12:27 pm
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I don't think you could compete directly with trihex. That looks like the PAL version you're using, and it looks like he used the NTSC versions.

Cortex Strikes Back might be possible if you did some maths, but the different versions of Warped involve a few gameplay differences.
Did a new forums thread get made or should I revive this thread again?
I'm working on that CB1 100%.
Apologies for the extremely late response. Kinda forgot all about this thread I started. . . almost a year since I last posted in it, wow. . .

I feel it's fair that I should explain my situation. I bought a Hauppauge HD PVR recording device at the final quarter of last year (September 2011 to be exact).

It's one of the leading capture devices which is able to capture HD footage at a very sharp, pristine, crystal clear quality.

Sadly, the one downside with this device. It doesn't work when I connect it to my N64 / PS1. I also tried playing PS1 games on a PS2 to see if this would fix the issue - but it doesn't. The screen is pitch black and I can't see or hear anything. I tried searching around online for various solutions to this but everywhere I went everyone had the same problem - something to do with the type of output not being recognised.

Any N64 games you have seen in HD PVR quality are likely remade Virtual Console titles released for the Wii Shop Channel - the visual quality of these games have been upgraded on the Wii so the PVR device can handle it.

After having played games with my HD PVR, recording them live with no lag whatsoever, I found the ½ a second of button lag I had with my DVD Recorder to be quite an issue. It made playing my older titles very . . . unendurable, to say the least. Not to mention how black and white the gameplay of the original Crash Bandicoot is in the first place - my motivation to play it was lost.

And I look above to see that Samura1man completely shattered my time in one attempt, haha. I would definitely love to see a run with a total time that low! I struggled a ton when getting toward the end levels of the game, some of them really tested my patience, heh. Just for the record I am completely against the idea of an Any% run being published on the site, since you move forward / sideways for the whole game, it would be the opposite of entertaining to watch and would demonstrate very little skill. Collecting all the gems, performing small time-savers and evading all enemies without dying once however. . . now THAT would be entertaining!

In short, I've pretty much given up with this game. I have another game in mind to try and pull a run for which has far more depth and I find far more enjoyable. And I think that's the most important thing when running a game - you have to enjoy it. I don't think I could say that for the latter experience I had with Crash 1.

Feel free to use this thread if you wish to pick it up, to anyone interested. I hope the few videos I made in the past are of help - the TAS run also serves as a very good source, since the game is so simple, most of the tricks the TAS uses are humanly possible.
That's very, very sad to read, Sword Sad
Edit history:
Equinox: 2012-04-26 04:47:29 am
Equinox: 2012-04-26 04:46:49 am
Equinox: 2012-04-26 04:45:59 am
Obsessicus Parrotus
I had the same issue actually with the same device Sword. I was recording Pandemonium for the PS1 on the PS2 using the old Hauppauge and it kept flickering, very annoying. Oddly enough PS2 games and DVDs were recorded just fine but the second you stick a PS1 disc in there, well, it doesn't work.

After a lot of trouble shooting I ruled out it wasn't the PS2, the discs, the TV or anything else. It has something to do with the frequency that ps1 games are played at. There are only 2 ways to fix this issue, the easiest one is to just play it on a PS3 where the upscaler fixes this issue so you can record it with the Hauppage!, the other is to get a cheaper capture device, one at a small fraction of the Hauppage cost.

The downside to playing it on a PS3 is that its a little slower, but it is an option. Option C, is only a possiblity. The thing is they actually released a better version of the Hauppage now called the Hauppage! HD-PVR "Gaming Edition." It glows green instead of blue, pretty cool stuff. It fully supports composite now with a loop in the back, if this fixes the issue, well, I'll be sure to tell people about it. Smiley I have one coming in the mail. I sold the other one for a good price.

Analog/composite ones on SDA people talk about are Ezcap and that experimental one, Anrichan? Was it? I am prepared to buy one of these as well, whatever it takes, whatever it takes.
Edit history:
Anemptybox: 2012-04-26 07:33:13 am
I own the "gaming edition" and I can confirm that recording PS1 games on PS2 works (composite only). N64 also works, however I've been having some issues with audio lagging behind after having recorded for a while (both PS1 and N64; playing Metal Gear Solid and Goldeneye). After let's say 40 minutes of recording, the screen goes dark and it says "no signal" for like 2-3 seconds, then it starts working again. I think the sound lag happen when this occurs. It might have something to do with either the PC I'm using (pretty slow and I used the highest quality while recording) or the Hauppage not getting enough power (read about it somewhere). I'll plug the Hauppage directly into the wall next time I'll record.
Obsessicus Parrotus
Great news ace thank you. I am going to buy mine in a week after I get the money from the old one I sold last week, its already arrived to the buyer I am sure, but amazon is anal about payments. Undecided
Edit history:
Sword: 2012-04-27 12:00:03 pm
Eh, I was unaware that there were different versions of the PVR Device. Guess I got unlucky and chose the one that doesn't work with all my games Tongue

I don't really have the motive (nor enough free cash to spare) to buy a PS3 either just so my current PVR will read my old PS1 games, so that idea is out of the window also. XD

Glad to see both of you guys either have or are about to get a device that would work with this game. Since it's solely about platform jumping, I think button lag really makes a noticeable difference. Something I couldn't handle with my old DVD Recorder without getting frustrated x)

Either way if either of you two decide to pick this up I'll definitely be following - my big wish would be for someone to perform The Great Gate Yellow Gem Skip in a single segment run. I could never jump on the warp pad in a manner that would not trigger me being sent back to the map. This would save quite a few minutes overall since you wouldn't have to die on purpose the first time round, and you wouldn't have to return to it to backtrack it. I just wish you got more than one attempt of it at a time . . . each time you miss it and activate the warp, you've gotta play through the whole level again . . .
Edit history:
CaneofPacci: 2012-05-09 08:24:44 pm
CaneofPacci: 2012-04-27 12:40:28 pm
First off, sorry to hear about your predicament, but hopefully I can make you feel a little better.  It should be noted that Samur1man is running on the Pal version.  There are significant difference between the Pal version and NTSC as well as NTSC and Japanese NTSC version.  The standard walking speed is considerably different.  Here is a video that compares about 10 seconds of running on N. Sanity Beach.    Pal version gains about 2 seconds in that short amount of time.  The thing is you can't just simply do some math to compare the two versions because running with a stage 3 Taka mask in the NTSC version is actually faster than running in the Pal versions.  So Pal is technically faster but not in all situations.  Then this affects the difficulty for the level play.  Particularly Boulder Dash and its counter part will be harder on the NTSC versions.  Although moving faster in both cases could make the overall game difficultly harder, but that's hard to judge because both of them are faster in some way.  I say since NTSC requires you to be perfect over a longer period of time it is probably harder.  Also there is a difference between the NTSC versions.  The health of the bosses in the Japanese version is higher.  As you can see here in this video: .  So Pal is the fastest, then NTSC, and last place goes to NTSC-j, but in my opinion NTSC-J is the hardest, then NTSC, and easiest is Pal.

As for actual runs if you want to watch any.
Samura1man's 1:46:38 on the Pal version can be viewed here on his twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/samura1man/b/292836679
My 1:48:08 on NTSC version can be viewed here on my YouTube channel:

My goal is sub 1:35; that will require me to have a run with no unintentional deaths.
Yeah, too bad that you didn't know about the PVR gaming edition. Maybe you should consider getting a Dazzle or an Easycap for your old games and keep the PVR for future speedruns/random videos on newer consoles.

Cool vids, CaneofPacci.
Edit history:
Equinox: 2012-04-27 11:17:14 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 11:16:11 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 11:06:51 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 11:06:36 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 11:05:18 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 11:05:10 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 11:04:09 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 11:00:16 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 10:59:14 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 10:58:02 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 10:57:54 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 10:56:53 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 10:47:40 pm
Equinox: 2012-04-27 10:47:14 pm
Obsessicus Parrotus
Very strange regarding the first video because from my experience PAL has been slower than NTSC, like I always thought NTSC was about 1/6 faster than PAL and I in fact tested this with my game. I am wondering what consoles these were filmed on. It would make me rethink a few things. PS1, PS2 and PS3 all play this game at noticeably different speeds. That PAL looks incredibly fast.

I actually did a comparison video of a boss fight with my game with PAL and NTSC. The video is on the 'Pandemonium' planning thread.
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/pandemonium_62.html
The left video is the PAL, filmed on a PS2. The right video is a NTSC filmed on a PS3. The NTSC finishes waaay before the PAL because of the frame rate difference. The thing is, is that PS3 actually slows the PS1 games down a little bit and it still won by about 6 seconds I think.

I could be all wrong, so sorry in advance.