List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Contra3.html

Contra III: The Alien Wars (Any %) (Single Segment) (Hard) [2 players]

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I tried in two media players, but the audio is a bit out of sync at the start (behind), but seems to be fine at the end. The run notes made a slight exaggeration in the "thank you" section, I will pm one of them to get that corrected before this is published.

What else can I say, I was with them that entire week (sleeping when this run was made but promptly woken up after it was done). The death in stage 3 was a slight blunder but cost no time due to the strats used in stage 4, but it does look ugly. Super amazing luck in stage 6 or that run was dead.

Easy accept.

Quote:
Some accidental deaths but nothing that looks too horrible. Considering how little time they had to bang this out, it's very polished.

The text comments mention audio commentary but I couldn't find any, is that coming later?

Accept.

Quote:
Wanted to say thank you for Mr. K's detailed comments, which answered any questions I might have had.  Very cool to watch.

Accept.

Quote from PJ:
This is PJ speaking.  Audio and video are both fine.  No signs of cheating.

I have been waiting for this moment for a very long time.  Mr. K and Hurblat are both phenomenal players at this game, and they have incredible coordination as a team, if the 2p1c runs at AGDQ didn't make it clear.

The run comments were very detailed, explaining basically every subtle movement they do in the entire run.  Since they know much more about this game than I do, I don't have much to contribute that they themselves didn't already mention.

The lag management in this run is superb, even killing off player 2 in stage 3 to reduce lag during the climbing section.  Stage 3 skeleton strat is brilliant, even though the screen transition wasn't.  Sad

Oh my god that stage 4 boss fight.  :O  That was incredible.  Hurblat's suicide will not be in vain.  You know what else wasn't in vain?  Hurblat's "furious masturbation" posing at the start of that level.  Well done.

Stage 5 had the most clutch C drop in the history of this game.  Very nice.  Nice posing again.

The beginning of stage 6 was magical.  The "kill everything dead" strat works wonders for lag.  And hey, it looks pretty sweet too.  The gargoyle quick kill was heartbreaking, but still ridiculously fast.  Queen kill was absolutely beautiful.  The brain's eyeball pattern definitely threw me for a loop, but they made it work (and got a lot of points in the process!).  True last boss is a joke, ofc.  The two share one last manly embrace as the world explodes around them, and the day is saved!

So yea, this run is incredible, as expected.  It is an honor to verify this.  The only room for improvement is the posing, but they gave it a good effort.

Verdict: Accept

Congrats, guys!

Quote:
Watching these runs being made at the Contra Conference was amazing in and of itself.  The thought, planning and everything else is not only apparent, but optimal.  Glaring APPROVAL all around.  There needs to be another conference for more of this goodness to happen again.  Bonus points if you know who is controlling which player without any help...

P.S.  There better be audio commentary.

Quote:
A few accidental deaths here and there but other than that, run looks great. Good video/sound quality, good route./

Accept.

Congratz!

Quote from mikwuyma:
This run brought a tear to this old Contra 3 vet's eye. :')

The strategy, execution, and lag management is all so beautiful, and it is amazing to see how far this game has come since my 2009 run. You've done amazing work my sons, even if this old man hasn't paid child support in years.

If you don't accept this Flip I'm banning you. There, I said it. Hopefully, I don't have to ban you, Flip.

P.S. Hurblat, don't think I didn't see what you did in stage 4. You're grounded for a week young man!

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Jonas 'Hurblat' Martinsson & Kyle 'Mr. K' Halversen!
Thread title:  
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Phew, I didn't have to ban Flip.

Seriously though, this run was awesome. Smiley
Thanks to all the verifiers for your kind words Smiley

Something that we should have mentioned, and which is pretty important to know when watching this run, is that we did the planning and attempts for it in a week. We had done some planning and practice together, but that was at AGDQ2012 (during one week, one year earlier).

If we would have had more time, we probably wouldn't have submitted a run with deaths in it. However, the unintentional deaths (of which there are two) in this run ended up not wasting any time.

Get hype for the audio commentary Wink
1-Up!
Quote from mikwuyma:
Phew, I didn't have to ban Flip.

Seriously though, this run was awesome. Smiley

Good thing this wasn't an otherwise tough decision lol.
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
The Legend of Contra on SDA Continues! Congrats to the runners!
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2013-02-28 05:40:24 pm
Willing to teach you the impossible
Quote from MAS8705:
The Legend of Contra on SDA Continues! Congrats to the runners!

When Mayor K sends Contra back to me I will be playing again. So the Legend of Contra is still not over.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
This got accepted?
Not a walrus
No, you're dreaming. Go back to sleep.
Master-88
What is final time for this run? I think sub 14 minutes.
Edit history:
Hurblat: 2013-03-02 08:48:15 am
Time is 13:48. That estimate was almost like TAS.
We probably wouldn't have gone under 14 minutes if it wasn't for the suicide strats in stage 3 (killing off player two before the long climb to reduce lag). That alone saves about 15 seconds.
The artist formerly known as Qxy
Congrats to the runners. I can't wait to see this one!
Formerly known as Skullboy
Looking forward to this one. Congrats and keep up the great work!
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Quote from Hurblat:
Time is 13:48. That estimate was almost like TAS.
We probably wouldn't have gone under 14 minutes if it wasn't for the suicide strats in stage 3 (killing off player two before the long climb to reduce lag). That alone saves about 15 seconds.

OMG, that stage 3 climd, having done it with Hurblat, is physically painful to endure.  It was worse than Contra Force.