Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/CatPlanet.html

Cat Planet (pc) (pc) [100 %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'liopoil'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Cat Planet (pc) (pc) [100 %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/CatPlanet-20161222/Cat%20Planet%20100%25%204m%2014.250s.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
A/V quality is good.
There is a custom timer displayed, which SDA might not like to see. (Although it's minimal and I even thought it was part of the game)

The route looks well optimized and the overall execution is great, I noticed only two small mistakes.

I suppose this will be a third category, 100% and with deaths.

---
Verdict: Accept
---
Insane Killer Robot
Video is good, audio seems a tad on the loud side but acceptable as well. No cheating detected. The timer in the corner actually does appear to be part of the game since it goes away when the credits come up. I only really noticed one mistake, but overall the route end execution were great. I don't think that there needs to be another category for 100% w/ Deaths, the deaths in this looked to be intentional to take advantage of spawn points. In any case, I'm giving this an accept.
Edit history:
ymh: 2016-12-28 05:12:14 pm
Quote from CyberBotX:
Video is good, audio seems a tad on the loud side but acceptable as well. No cheating detected. The timer in the corner actually does appear to be part of the game since it goes away when the credits come up. I only really noticed one mistake, but overall the route end execution were great. I don't think that there needs to be another category for 100% w/ Deaths, the deaths in this looked to be intentional to take advantage of spawn points. In any case, I'm giving this an accept.
Well the runner states it's a custom timer in the run comments.
The deaths are intentional, but they can be considered death warps, and so mentioning that seems apt (just as it does for the existing any%).

AFAIK Smiley
Hi, I'm the runner. I hope it's okay for me to post here. I use a special build of the game for speed-running. The timer is just displaying the internal timer that the game already has in real-time. You can see all the details at http://www.speedrun.com/Cat_Planet/thread/e7tyg .

The deaths are intentional and without them the time would be significantly worse, though still several seconds better than the 4:25 already on this site. My any% run on this site has an unintentional death if I remember correctly, so that's different. Personally I don't think that they should be different categories, since the routes of the runs are not that different and the deathless one is just slightly slower for no reason (difficulty is not that much different)
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2016-12-30 08:42:04 am
liopoil: You're always okay to post in verification threads.

I was looking through the rules page:

"SDA will accept hosting speedruns for many games, but not all. Here are some examples of games that won't be accepted:
- Game mods (defined as requiring the original game in order to play)"

Another admin has already contacted you about this and it doesn't seem we're going to take offense at it so long as changes are clearly restricted to cosmetics/convenience.
By your comments, deaths only save 3 seconds, so they will definitely not be a split category.

A/V: might be confusing with the few seconds of a failed attempt left in... could splice in something showing the in-game menu going straight into the winning attempt, but not necessary

It's not the improvement we deserved, but it's the improvement we didn't know how badly we needed.

Catcept
Edit history:
ymh: 2016-12-30 09:31:16 am
I thought any run that uses intentional deaths to save time has to be tagged. That's why the 2:40 any% run is tagged with deaths, isn't it ?

e: but of course it still replaces the existing 100%
Well you're right, the rules seem to say they receive it rather than may receive it: in honesty I don't know all the rules by heart by any means. A lot of them are distinctly not meant to be absolute either, because the same rules just don't work with every game. The principle of KISS is the most important.

Maybe we'll add the tag, but in any case no two categories will exist. And if there's no "without deaths" then "with deaths" doesn't mean anything either, other than, I guess, cluing viewers in on the fact that the deaths are intended, which is almost always self-evident. The only thing is if suddenly someone came up with way more uses for deaths than this, then the old run will have the correct categorization already, but it's unlikely, and fully possible to retcon anyway.
We could trim out as much of the first few seconds before the restart as we want. There is no in-game menu; I just press "R" and the game and timer automatically restart.

Something else worth mentioning: My any% run is weird in that it uses an out-of-bounds glitch but still runs most of the map. I recently found out that there is another glitch which skips almost the entire game and has been executed years ago, completing the game in under a minute. If someone submits a run like that one, I would think that it should replace my any% run, yes?

At http://www.speedrun.com/Cat_Planet/full_game there are three different categories: any%, any% no OOB glitch, and 100%. The world records are 0:51, 2:42, and 4:14 respectively and all the videos are there. It's likely that eventually runs of all three types will be submitted, maybe by me. Personally I like these three categories, but would they be the ones that would be used here too?
I meant we can include something like 5 seconds of the game's main menu (there's no menu at all?) cause I thought it'll start so suddenly, but actually there'll be the StatID screen so nvm.

Because it so happens that the run times vary relatively much between each of those categories, SDA will accept all of them. What's called any% on speedrun.com will just be called "with major-skip glitches" instead and the no-OOB is just "any%". Hope to see them all!
Quote from LotBlind:
Maybe we'll add the tag, but in any case no two categories will exist. And if there's no "without deaths" then "with deaths" doesn't mean anything either, other than, I guess, cluing viewers in on the fact that the deaths are intended, which is almost always self-evident. The only thing is if suddenly someone came up with way more uses for deaths than this, then the old run will have the correct categorization already, but it's unlikely, and fully possible to retcon anyway.

TASvideos' solution to this is to have a list of potentially relevant category-related tags on the run page, but not really draw attention to them. (This includes things that almost any speedrun will do, such as "uses glitches"; a typical run will get four or five category tags.)
ais: yeah that might be smart but we can't do any overhauls without a bunch more staff.
Decision posted.