Bulletstorm (Any %) (Individual Level) [Echoes]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'cortez'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Bulletstorm (Any %) (Individual Level) [Echoes]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/bulletstorm/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Feb. 1, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Downloading this now, but the file name of the only available download is really weird. Are the correct files up?
Not a walrus
Whoops, not sure how that happened. Let me fix that.

The zip file should contain everything you need, but I meant to extract it first.
It's alright, UA.. even super humans make mistakes sometimes. Wink
Never played this game.

I watched these vids with fresh eyes. A few missed shots here and there, but overall it looked good from my perspective. I then looked around a bit to see if I could find any times to compare with. There is a few seconds faster time for one of the levels reported here in the forum (no video). Then I found The same user has two levels that are way faster than in this submission. Unless there are some different settings, it seems like the runner lacks knowledge on how to activate some triggers in this game. There is also this forum that deals only with Bulletstorm, http://forums.epicgames.com/forums/389-Bulletstorm. It looks like a pretty deserted place at this moment and I couldn't immediately see anything about speedrunning. Still, it might be worth to see if anyone is still active there or to browse through some of the threads to see if there are some good strats to pick up. Just my suggestion...

REJECT (unless the runner comes in here and explains the faster times)
Hmm.. those are good revelations ktwo. I haven't watched all the videos, but I was leaning towards a reject anyways because some of the segments seemed quite sloppy with missed shots and whatnot. If it was single segment, I probably would have let it go, but there's no real excuse for the sloppiness that was present in segments that are this short, especially since this game doesn't look all that difficult to play.

Since this is the first entry in an IL table, I believe any rejected segment would lead to all segments being rejected.. so that is my verdict as well.
Not a walrus
Since it's an IL the runner can easily replace particular entries that aren't up to snuff, but we won't publish any of the table if it's incomplete. If you can point out particular levels that you think need improvement then please do so. As specific as possible.
I'll watch the videos again and get back to you.
If we exclude the reported time without video in the forum, the two youtube levels are the Mall and Monorail. The thing is that both beat this submission by roughly a minute. I just have a feeling that if so much time can be cut from just those two levels, it seems unlikely that some of the other levels would not be quite beatable as well. It's not really visible if you don't compare side-by-side though. For information, the youtuber only has videos of three levels (the third is a few seconds slower than in this submission). Since I don't know the game, it's hard to say for sure, but it feels like the submitter is unaware of some techniques or is not fully up to speed of the fastest way dispatch enemies or when triggers are activated or something.

In short, if the runner redid the Mall and Monorail, I would not have any particular argument to reject any of the other levels. But I personally think that the runner should go back and analyze the other levels to see if they can be improved with the knowledge gained from the youtube videos.
Not a walrus
Any other opinions or shall I pass what's been said on to the runner and see what they think?
Sorry for my procrastination on this. I will look at the videos again right now.
Forbidden Zone - Seemed a bit slow at finding the enemies after 1:09.
Monorail - Seemed to be some hesitation between helicopter kills. Killing enemies overall seemed slow. That first boss-type enemy, I wonder if the miss prevented a one-cycle kill?
Rooftops - Is it really necessary to kill so many enemies? Also, near the start, taking out the enemies again seemed kinda slow.
The Club - He killed the two dudes just after 1:00 really slowly. I don't see a reason why he couldn't use a stronger weapon. Missed a lot of shots around 1:55.
The Desert - Failed slide around 0:55. While this isn't inherently bad as it doesn't waste a ton of time, it does suggest that the runner didn't know it would work, as he just runs across the platform afterwards.
The Marina - Instead of killing the enemy at around 0:32 with the sniper rifle, I feel it would have been faster to go to him and kill him normally.

And throughout the whole run, I feel he uses the "bullet time" thing for the sniper rifle bullets much earlier than he would need to in a segmented run.

That's about all I feel comfortable enough to comment on. I don't know the game nearly well enough to comment on anything else with any confidence.
I should be able to give this a watch in the next couple days.
Stalker!
I wont redo any level. i already done that run 2.5 years ago, but in the mean time there were no response at all to the run.

Another problem is that no one who verified the run played the game. These are just arcade missions, based on the normal game. They are meant for high score hunting and not for speedrunning. As they are from the game you cant leave your compadre alone, because otherwise you get shot.
Sometimes you just need to wait for him, for example in the spots on The Desert & The Marina which Eternalspirit mentioned. Enemies need to be killed too, as the ai always tries to attack them.
You also just get the weapons, which you had at that point in the story.

If it gets rejected im fine with it.
Edit history:
Eternalspirit: 2014-02-03 08:48:39 pm
Quote from cortez:
I wont redo any level. i already done that run 2.5 years ago, but in the mean time there were no response at all to the run.

Another problem is that no one who verified the run played the game. These are just arcade missions, based on the normal game. They are meant for high score hunting and not for speedrunning. As they are from the game you cant leave your compadre alone, because otherwise you get shot.
Sometimes you just need to wait for him, for example in the spots on The Desert & The Marina which Eternalspirit mentioned. Enemies need to be killed too, as the ai always tries to attack them.
You also just get the weapons, which you had at that point in the story.

If it gets rejected im fine with it.

Would it be accurate to say, then, that the biggest bottleneck of these levels is waiting for your ally to catch up to you?

Also, if faster strategies exist, but were not known at the time the run was completed, we cannot hold that against this run, I believe.

I will mull over this for a bit.
Sorry I forgot to get back to this for so long, but at least it seems I'm not the only one who did. Tongue

The youtube video for The Mall is quite a bit faster, but it definitely uses something you wouldn't think you could do and it's quite recent - at least compared to this run.  I didn't watch the other one though.  Eternalspirit pointed out pretty much everything I noticed already (though I took the runner's post into account).

Judging these IL's on their own merit, they're all pretty good.  The delay in submission leaves me inclined to treat this run as if it were completed much more recently, but even so the general tendency at SDA (at least as far as I can tell) for IL tables with one or two subpar times is to accept anyway and hope somebody gets motivated to submit an improvement.  So that's what I'll do - accept, that is - because honestly these are pretty good for the most part.
Well, I was actually hoping for an answer to my question in my last post.

The unfortunate reality around the delay in submission is that, until public verification became a thing, there were runs waiting in queue for years before they were finally taken care of. I wouldn't hold it against the runner, personally, if faster strategies existed in more recent runs.

And yeah, I agree that in and of themselves, the ILs are good. Not great, but good. There's some overall very accurate shooting going on apart from one or two sections, and at least with the strategies that the runner used (apart from trying a slide where using one looks to be impossible), he seemed to know what he wanted to do. So I'm with Aleck on this, accept and hope someone does better later.
From the "Runs Needing Verifiers" thread:

Nov. 30, 2013
Bulletstorm for 360/PS3/PC (public verification)

But yeah, otherwise I would completely agree that it shouldn't be held against the run.
Oh wow, that's not that long ago then, haha.

If you check out the runner's post, he says this: "I wont redo any level. i already done that run 2.5 years ago, but in the mean time there were no response at all to the run."

So it makes me wonder what's going on here..
Resubmission maybe?  Or perhaps the run sat in a dead thread for a while with nobody commenting on potential improvements.  Regardless, the run is the run, and I already gave it an accept.
Who knows, and I agree with your sentiment at the end there.. who cares.
Decision posted.