Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314 -> <- 1 .. 12 .. 14 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
...Wha?
So many numbers...but what exactly is MIPS?

Berris, you may need to explain your excel sheet to me, as I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. But it's good that you got complete chains at least. Gotta say, it was frustrating testing so much for the sake of science, only to get 1 or 2 in before being Macho'd.
Ciento Dos Huevos
MIPS is the CPU architecture used by the PS1.  It's MIPS assembly.
Edit history:
Berris: 2015-05-07 07:02:03 pm
Running Brave Fencer Musashi
I made the sheet easier to understand now, the sheet have the correct answer for every round that I had E.G.  (round 3; attempt 2)= 8(L) [the correct answer for round 3 at the attempt (or chain) n° 2, "8" is the number that Macho shows you and (L) is the correct answer].

Also it has the probability for low or high for the correct answer at every round and the probability per number for "low" or "high". 

Attachment:
...Wha?
Thanks ConHuevos for the clarification on that.

And thanks Berris for explaining, and also making it simpler to understand your findings.
Edit history:
Sh0rtCircuit: 2015-05-08 07:18:24 pm
...Wha?
Welp, after a very depressing end to my run, I've figured out that the water scroll skip and door clip saves about 3 minutes from my Relic Keeper split. I also pulled out a one-shot on macho and got a second try LBrace.

For the depressing bit, I lost all of that time due to forgetting the very basic and EASY AS SHIT Slug Skip. After a few minutes in emulator, I realize exactly what I was doing wrong with it and feel like a giant pile of trash.

I'll be running again tomorrow, around noon-ish. That shit will NOT happen again.

EDIT: Oh, one of my viewers reminded me about a clip he came across (but can't re-create). It's actually a hedge clip in the later part of the game when you're running through the hedge maze. When he told me about it at the time, I tried some stuff to see if I could make it happen, but came up empty handed. So I figure with the combined effort of us all, we might be able to figure out what he did to clip the hedges.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I've been messing with getting on top of the hedges and have been getting pretty close, for sure think it's possible.
...Wha?
http://www.twitch.tv/sh0rtcircuit/v/4864249

Missed my PB by 6 seconds. Starting Monday I'm running for sub 2:45 RTA.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Nice work sh0rt, glad you got sub 3 on video now thumbsup
...Wha?
Thanks Deuceler, though I found out I still have a lot of practice to get in.

For instance, the Blue Door clip in Frozen Palace...am I right in assuming that you actually got that to work? I was attempting it in practice, but could not actually pull it off. Alternatively, the same trick works for the Red Door, just be careful to not get poisoned. >_>
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I can do the red door very consistently, but I've been trying to clip through the blue door to no avail. In all honesty unless we find a way into the frost dragon's door it won't save a shit ton of time. For the time being I'm focusing on getting the route more consistent and not really experimenting too much. I'll have plenty of time in the near future for it though
...Wha?
Seems good. There might be slight differences between the Japanese and North American copies. Holy seems to pull it off with ease, without TAS, while it seems near impossible for us to do. I'll try it out some more and see if I can't make it happen. And you're right, it wouldn't save a lot of time at all.

I did try clipping the Frost Dragoon door, but it didn't really seem possible to accomplish unfortunately. Though I did ask Holy to try the Hedge clip stuff when he had the time. Think he's been fairly busy as of late, hence no Pt2 to his TAS.
Same here, I had tried to clip the blue door, But with no results. same with the frost dragon door.

Right now I have to relearn all the tricks because I'm changing to the PSXfin emulator (ePSXe was a bad idea, I was on a run and it crashed). Sad this emulator feels faster and the input lag is a little different

SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I think we need to look into emulators, personally I'd prefer to ban them (because PSX emulators are so spotty) but I don't wanna deter people from running the game right now. I feel like the differences in lag and load times is certainly something to look into
...Wha?
I'm going to be staying purely console for legitimate runs. I think emulators are nice for practice since savestates make it easier to go to specific points, but the in-game lag really isn't THAT bad, and only happens in a handful of spots. Being as this is SDA, an emulator run would never be able to pass verification. I would love more people to start running this for sure, and I think speedrun.com is definitely perfect for Console and Emulation runs. Though it might be some time before someone gets close to the 2:49 RTA, console and emulator alike. Kappa

Jokes aside, Xebra has a new version out that I'll be testing, it supposedly emulates load times, which may very well fix some of the hangs that would happen (like ToD not loading). I'm also gonna be looking into somehow working out the Fast Disc Load option with PS2. The game runs perfectly until trying to load ToD, then it hangs. There probably isn't a fix for this, but it's worth a shot.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Well that's just it, I'm console as well and have been for every run I do. Emulator (to me) is fine for practice and learning the game, but once "serious" attempts are being done I feel like it should be done on console to leave no area for any doubt. 

I've messed with FDS for awhile and the game just can't seem to handle it, I have a SPCH-90000 and it won't even load Chapter 1 from new game. If I load a save file it will work until I enter a loading zone. Some games just don't work well with it and this seems to be one of them. I still play it on my PS2 with the FDS option set to normal, and it doesn't seem any different from playing on my PSX. That being said, I think you'll be surprised as to how close some of us are to the 2:49 real soon.
Edit history:
Sh0rtCircuit: 2015-05-11 11:02:28 am
...Wha?
SPCH-90000...is that a slim? Or just a really late model of the Fat? Mine is 39001 and had zero issues with FDS until ToD. I remember the run I was using FDS and being sorely disappointed at ToD not loading. The splits were too good (though this was using the glitchless route lol). But either way, it's really strange that the game is affected in that way across different versions of the PS2.

Just waiting on you to get back to streaming man. GN hasn't been streaming, as far as I know (I'm sure I have him followed and I've yet to receive any notification of his stream going live). Berris has been at it as well, but due to ePSXe crashing the game, he wasn't able to finish his run from yesterday. So I'm interested in seeing how much you've improved with all your practice time at work.

Edit: I DID have GN followed, but failed to set the notification option. *Facepalm
Edit history:
ConHuevos: 2015-05-11 12:47:20 pm
Ciento Dos Huevos
70000+ is slim ps2 iirc.  Infact I think it's 50000+.  Last fat model was 39000?
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Yeah, SPCH-90000 is a slim and provides the fastest disc drive, it's what is preferred for PSX RPGs when speed running. I haven't seen GN streaming either, and it's really hard for me to watch any sort of stream while I'm at work. I've really just been working on movement and boss fights. Still need to tighten up the route and not worrying about healing items, but I really need to just do full runs which I unfortunately don't have time for at work. I get home in 10 days (May 21st) and will be streaming daily until July, so you'll see plenty of Musashi amongst other things.

I thought I'd throw out there I'm also running Musashi at Scrubathon III, tentatively scheduled for Sunday June 7th at 12:10 AM
...Wha?
Deuce...what DO you do for work any way? Kinda have me curious. XD
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I work in an oil field in Alaska, so I fly up here for normally two weeks at a time and then I'm off for two weeks in Texas. This is why my streaming schedule is pretty weird and you'll see me stream a bunch and then I disappear for awhile. Depending on if I'm working overtime or whatever I may be gone as long as 6 weeks or home as long as 6 weeks. So things fluctuate for me
...Wha?
Wow, sounds pretty nice, but lots of hardwork as well I would assume. How does someone even bust into that kind of work,
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
College and a lot of luck lol
...Wha?
Ha, sounds like the ticket. Good stuff man. Cheesy
Edit history:
Berris: 2015-05-15 06:34:56 pm
Berris: 2015-05-15 06:34:15 pm
I found 2 softlock situations while I was training with the PSXfin maybe this could be useful information:

1. You need the goggles and the belt in your inventory then you examine the goggles and with them you will examine the belt, but the message of getting the L- belt won't pop-up. When you get out the owner of the bar/restaurant won't talk to you and therefore the priest won't be waiting for you at the church. the only way to progress in the game is doing the "early water scroll" trick.

2.After doing the Slug skip and defeating Kojiro you can interact with the slug and use the "salt" to shrink it (you don't have the salt in your inventory, but you can choose the option anyway). By doing this when you go to the exit, you will be teleported to the castle but the cutscene of you arriving with the princess it won't trigger and if you talk to the mercenaries they won't give you the info about the thieves hideout so you will be stuck "trying to get the fire scroll" but you already have it.

BTW PSXfin doesn't load the Tower of Death fight...
Edit history:
Sh0rtCircuit: 2015-05-15 08:59:56 pm
...Wha?
Well, shit. So PSXfin is a bust then.

I've been busy working my new job, while staying at my girlfriends for majority of the week. But now that she's out of town I'm able to actually sit down and run through on the Xebra emulator.

http://drhell.web.fc2.com/ps1/xebra150215.zip

Here's the link to the newest version in case I actually don't get around to testing it this weekend. From what I understand, the new build emulates load times now, so it might have fixed the ToD load issue.