Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213141516 -> <- 1 .. 10 .. 16 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames

here's america 1, up to the hospital. the police truck is really fast and can jump the gaps with no problem, so you can save 20 seconds not talking to karl. also i got an insta-door at the hospital itself, just like in greece 1, which is neat. but  the rooftop and the processor don't emulate properly so i can't show that part. the whole city is really glitchy with collision and everything, using the crazy speed of the hotrod i'm sure there's a faster way to blast over a gap somewhere and get straight to the hospital
Quote from bh guy:
using the crazy speed of the hotrod i'm sure there's a faster way to blast over a gap somewhere and get straight to the hospital

I spent tons of time trying to find a way to do this but even with the speed of the hotrod and the handbrake speed boosting there is still a pretty big chasm between the city and the hospital area at the shortest distance between the two and there really isn't any way to get the hotrod airborne in the area so I highly doubt this. That being said I'm fairly confident that the handbrake speed boost could be used to bounce the hotrod off the top of a house and over the fence to skip having to knock it down with the dumptruck.

About the TNT trick- I would have a really hard time accepting a segmented run which uses that trick. The segment time is only about 11-12 minutes and the jump is about 5 minutes into the segment. Ever since I was able to get the recording of the jump on video so that I have something to reference as far as lining it up my success rate for it is about 1 in 75  and that's not using the handbrake boost which I haven't tried but I would imagine that having the extra speed from that may increase the odds as well. For a Single Segment I would be just fine with the TNT trick since having to do all the tricks that follow as well as the nightmare that is the Siberia shield tower after spending probably at least 100 attempts just to get through Greece once.

I did try to find a setup for using the goliath to knock the bike over the jump in Greece 3 but it turns out that when it comes to ramming a bike Goliath's actually have pretty terrible aim. I was able to get it to charge at me pretty much the way I want over and over but it would always find some way to not ram the bike. Another option here would be maybe MAYBE using the handbrake boost to get enough speed to clear the jump on the fly without losing the bike but I haven't really tried that.
Edit history:
GITech: 2014-08-12 11:01:42 am
To FIX & HD Body Harvest 4 PJ64/Jabo
Oh boy, how did I miss this/wait so long to look up speedrunning Body Harvest!?!?!?

I would like to join in here as I just started working on my retexture for BH again after ~years~ of not touching it. With recent inspiration from AGDQ/SGDQ I also began doing my own "speedrunning". Though without knowing about any of the work you guys (gals?) have done on strats, my best through Greece 1 was 9 min. with completing all normal tasks, even saving the burning town.

I was going to try developing a speedrun myself as I thought I'd be the only person in the world to try it... LOL, but with your guys' existence and head start, I might be better off supporting and testing strats (as I have one original of my own maybe), and now spend more of my time on completing a full HD retexture for all us Body Harvest fans!

So far Java is the only level with most of the textures redone along with the Explosion animation which I really like how it turned out. Much better than the original and adds to the battles/visuals a ton.

I'll start by quickly posting a link to my HD retexture project from way back in 2008: http://www.emutalk.net/threads/45346-Body-Harvest-HD-texture-pack-WIP

My next step will be uploading my work so far of my HD retexture pack for you all to enjoy and speedrun with! This is for PJ64 and Jabo using DDS/DXT and PNG texture formats. The textures kinda load in real time so you will need a fast PC with an SSD or figure out how to load the textures from a virtual RAM drive (something I've always wanted to figure out and do).

Maybe I will be the guy who does a 100% Hard speedrun once the HD project is finished?! I have beaten the game on console and PJ64 several times.

Also, if anyone here wants to join me or knows someone else that may want to help with the retexture project or thinks they can help with fixing the emulation bugs of BH... that would be great! Due to my participation in PJ64 Alpha testing I have a bit of insight to the issues that may be of help to those who can program. (Oh Jabo, please come back!)

Is this something that excites you guys to go along with speedrunning this game?

Thanks for your brutally honest feedback!  Wink

Later,
Jay

Old pics for a quick post:

I go fast I guess
MY EYES, THEY... THEY ARE MELTING OF PURE AWESOMENESS

Anyhow, I recommend plopping over to page 9 for my attempt at Greece. Greece 1 can be done in under 4 minutes with the skipping of the mountains Also, a 100% hard speed run would be a lot easier than an Any% Hard run as you can virtually spend no time collecting a few backup weapons to use again enemies.
Quote from leftysheroes:
That being said I'm fairly confident that the handbrake speed boost could be used to bounce the hotrod off the top of a house and over the fence to skip having to knock it down with the dumptruck.

this comes with a few caveats: one, that it a maybe 200 emulator reloads to capture just two successes shown here, the greece bike jump is nothing compared to this; two, that i could only make it work with the hotrod, which in a speedrun or even TAS would take more time to get than this simple fence hop would save, since the police truck is fast enough to jump all the gaps; three, that after the fence i'm not sure you can keep enough speed to then jump the gap itself (although you can make it if you back the hotrod up to the fence and handbrake boost like crazy). but, there you go.
oh and caveat four, the rooftop collision on console may be different than the messed up emulator so this might not be possible on console
Your video doesn't play for me, need to set it to unlisted I think. May have missed something or forgot but what was the handbrake speed boost exactly.
Also side note that HD texture pack looks sick, would be awesome if the emulation could be fixed with those textures.
oh yeah try the video now. handbrake boost is just continually tapping the brake while you're holding down the accelerator, somehow it makes you go faster than you would otherwise go just holding the accelerator, making some newer tricks possible. agree the textures are sick
Oh right so like the trick to get up the hill to the proc in Greece 1, not sure why I never thought of applying that to other places. I think that might actually boost that way not sure if it would end up being that much faster (especially as I'm looking to try single segment) but still kewl, I'll have a look on console now.
I'm trying to make a vid for the first time for BH and with Mirillis Action now for Java 1...  Smiley

Thanks BB64!

Oh how I love Body Harvest! I have purchased about 25 copies of the game, mostly when you could find them in the bargain bin, and gave them away along with a nice right up of facts about the game... Hmmm, I wonder if I could find a copy of that now..
Edit history:
GITech: 2014-08-12 07:03:40 pm
GITech: 2014-08-12 07:02:58 pm
I'm trying to make a vid for the first time for BH and with Mirillis Action now for Java 1...  Smiley

Oh how I love Body Harvest! I have purchased about 25 copies of the game, mostly when you could find them in the bargain bin, and gave them away along with a nice right up of facts about the game... Hmmm, I wonder if I could find a copy of that now..

(Woah, what was that? SDA forums allow non-registered users to post???)
I go fast I guess
Yeah, I was surprised by that feature.

I have a request that I wish I could do myself, but can't find the tools to do so. I have been thinking about something at the boss fights in this game. You know how in The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, you can do a glitch called wrong warp, I was thinking, is something similar possible in this game? Here is what I suggest.

After killing the boss, place down TNT so that on the EXACT frame when you lose control of Adam, or the frame that would warp you to the next stage, the cutscene for Adam's death would occur, so the game over cutscene would occur at the same time as... ugh I just confused myself. Basically I want to get 2 cutscenes to happen at the same time. I know it's a wild idea, but it's been bugging me for ages and I would like to see it go somewhere.

My brain hurts
I go fast I guess
Actually forget about it. I was a stupid idea. Me and my brain...
Edit history:
GITech: 2014-08-12 10:14:21 pm
Thanks blackbox64! I saw your vid.. it was the first one I saw that led me here. It blew me away, but maybe you could save time killing the shield tower by getting the Fokker 3 wing plane for the bombs?! 
Edit history:
GITech: 2014-08-12 07:35:33 pm
Quote from bh guy:
for greece 3 i posted a youtube vid of your alternate route rueake, it's cool but still slower than the bike jump unfortunately.

and finally here's my take on java 3 and 4. notes:

-stage 3 is pretty easy. it costs 0 time to hit the harvester with gyro rockets as you fly by, and saves your human meter from game over in stage 4
-gyro flies way faster than the bigger plane (saves at least 10 seconds of flying in each stage) and you can fly through the smaller shield hole near the ground to save a couple seconds too
-controlling the gyro on emulator keyboard is ridiculously squirrelly so sorry about that
-stage 4, i think my route to the processor is pretty direct and avoids spawning a lot of enemies so hopefully the game won't freeze on console very much? it never froze on emulator for me here
-at the processor you just swing around the hillside, slam on the gyro brakes and pop some missiles in his face. the gyro keeps getting hit by lightning while he dies, and while alpha 1 launches the save point, so to keep the gyro alive all the way to the shield generator you need to pick up some health. the processor drops a big heart like 1 time out of 10 when im playing and it's easy to pick up, but if not, the roach gunner to the right drops two or three small hearts which is enough to refill the gyro completely. those are harder to get. either way you have to refill before the alpha 1 cutscene plays or you'll lose the gyro to lightning
-for the shield generator, it seems like the fastest possible strategy would be a suicide charge in the gyro you came in with, but something like that is really only for a TAS. the bulldog is the best bet otherwise

phew. i'll start looking at america soon

Nice run! Good take off after the stage 4 processor!

Hey, notice the pic of the Secret Airport in HD above.. I figured out that it was there and how to get up there like that.. way back in 2008 when doing the retexturing for Java!

Funny that I didn't  even know about it till almost 10 years after I first played the game. This game IS so huge!
Here's my first vid! I attempted to do the explosion boost but failed, barely! What do you think went wrong? I need to face the water and move forward just before impact?

The raw file was smooth but it got all choppy once uploaded to Youtube. Hmmm, can that be avoided somehow?

Lets try again shall we?! I plan to reduce the jeeps health by getting hit by a couple of those kamikaze hoppers first...
Edit history:
blackbox64: 2014-08-13 05:27:05 am
I go fast I guess
Aaaaah, I noticed you are using the ICheat save file with Power Weapons. In proper runs that won't be allowed, but for testing purposes as long as you don't use the cheats to gain an advantage in timing then you should be fine

Also, the shore you need to land on in Java 1 is really finicky sometimes and it took me a few times to get it right, it's there but just hard to get too.
Edit history:
GITech: 2014-08-13 09:00:51 pm
GITech: 2014-08-13 08:58:12 pm
GITech: 2014-08-13 08:57:47 pm
Yes, I knew it. Ignore everything you saw in that first vid...

I have done a bunch of testing, setup and cleanup of my old PJ64 1.7.0.12 file today including converting all of the DDS files back into PNG's. I found out today that it does not stutter to load in game with PNG's.  It also works so much better/faster in game for BH than PJ64 2.1..whatever.

Here it is:  https://www.sendspace.com/file/3tm6s7 

The controller profile v4 is my favorite and it is setup for a logitech dual action.

Some save states were to be used for testing the collision/invisible wall bug back in 2008, and still should be relevant today. Post #34 here for more info: http://www.emutalk.net/threads/45346-Body-Harvest-HD-texture-pack-WIP/page4

You may need to have a fast PC with an SSD. PJ64 is setup for BH in interpreter mode to stop a crash.

You should be able to just extract, setup your controller, set ROM directory and play. This is for the (U) version of the game.

Please let me know if it works for you!
Edit history:
blackbox64: 2014-08-14 05:00:20 am
I go fast I guess
I hate Java.

EDIT: I'm having trouble getting past Java 2, I keep getting killed at the processer. Ugh...
Edit history:
GITech: 2014-08-14 08:45:06 am
Quote from bh guy:

here's america 1, up to the hospital. the police truck is really fast and can jump the gaps with no problem, so you can save 20 seconds not talking to karl. also i got an insta-door at the hospital itself, just like in greece 1, which is neat. but  the rooftop and the processor don't emulate properly so i can't show that part. the whole city is really glitchy with collision and everything, using the crazy speed of the hotrod i'm sure there's a faster way to blast over a gap somewhere and get straight to the hospital

That jump over Halstal bridge was awesome!

In emulation you can kill the processor on top of the hospital with the sniper rifle. Stand on the slope behind S/E of the hospital. Near the top of that slope you can hit the boss through the building! Now, how to get to America 2 fast?

Quote from blackbox64:
I hate Java.

EDIT: I'm having trouble getting past Java 2, I keep getting killed at the processer. Ugh...

I love Java! LOL..

Keep moving back and forth (strife) with your vehicle perpendicular to the front of the processor. Use manual aim to hit the boss while moving forward and back. You may want to take out one or 2 of the turret gunners first. The bulldog is beast against this processor and one is just to the east if you need it.

america 3 and 4, i just used the huey helicopter to demonstrate this but it flies about the same speed as the little red one i think... would have liked to mess around with the whole cactus skip but the emulation errors make it impossible as the red chopper spawns INSIDE the walls of the hospital. but i'm gonna look at siberia now
Edit history:
GITech: 2014-08-16 09:11:06 am
GITech: 2014-08-15 01:12:28 pm
GITech: 2014-08-15 01:11:51 pm
Great run! Sooo fast! I would have never thought you could beat America 3-4 so fast!

I tried to get a Huey through there so many times in my own playing through the years and could never do it! I'd have it leaning down the slope on the other side but it would never "go through".

I thought I had a huge skip in America 3 by first getting one of the military jeeps that goes fast with the Nitro Fuel, taking it directly to the hanger to get the Nitro fuel, then immediately using it to drive south for a hard right-then left, through that gate that can be knocked down now that you have the turbo speed inertia to break through it. Did you guys know about that one? Just curious.

Anyone trying my DL? I have done about 30 new textures and reduced the saturation of all of the ground textures in Java since I posted that pack. It's so much better already! I will continue to do so at a rapid pace and upload updates.

If it's true that people speedrun because they LOVE a game and keep coming back to it.. then you guys are automatically my new best friends! thumbsup

Like up until a few days ago, I though I truly was the only person in the world who enjoyed this game on a regular basis! happy

BTW: I suggest you try my DL (with the HD textures or not) as it's the best setup I have found for it. It is certainly MUCH smoother and FASTER in game than PJ64 2.xx. Absolutely no slowdown and is to me.... console speed perfect!
I go fast I guess
...Ugh...

I managed to get past Java 2, but Java 3... why! When I get to the processer, I take to much damaged from the Snipers around the processer, and then I am unable to reach the processer in Java 4 before I explode.

Well, I guess I could go get the backup Gyrocopter from the military base, better to waste time than to waste a run.
Just an update:

I have been working on textures and trying SR strats. I have recorded more than 50 videos and deleted them all. Not happy with either yet.

I am having a very hard time finding the right combination of textures to give Greece an authentic yet still appealing look.

And, I have not been able to successfully finish Java 1, so I suck at the explosion boost trick. Most of the time, Adam will not standup on the little island so he can catch his breath and finish the swim. How common is this for you guys?
I go fast I guess
It took me 2 or 3 tries to get it on my first attempts of the trick. I haven't tried it again because I still haven't gotten round to finishing Java, I've been busy.