Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 30 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Someone asked on the comments of my previous video if I could record showing the keyboard and mouse inputs to do the fling. So, I should as well post it here.

Edit history:
Glurmo: 2015-03-21 04:31:02 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 11:28:22 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 11:26:04 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 11:24:57 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 11:17:31 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 10:06:49 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 10:04:33 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 10:03:26 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 09:59:41 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 09:58:25 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 09:56:27 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 09:56:12 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 09:55:30 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 09:47:28 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 09:24:50 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 09:21:33 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 09:21:09 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 09:16:19 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 09:15:19 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 08:59:22 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 08:58:26 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 08:57:20 am
Glurmo: 2015-03-20 08:56:27 am
What framerate are you running at penta? At 60fps I tried for quite a while and couldn't get the boost at all, but with vsync off I can get the boost about 95% of the time. It seems the higher your framerate the higher you get boosted but I might be wrong? At 400fps I pretty much get boosted to the ceiling.

If the community is going to allow > 60fps your new glitch is 22 seconds faster than my previous best segment:

I know quite a few of the other popular FPS speedruns need high framerate for certain glitches (Half Life, Dishonored, BioShock Infinite) but at the moment I believe most people run BioShock 1 at 60fps? I can't get this glitch at all at 60fps although perhaps it's just a lot harder.
Oh! I have my vsync turned off, if I set it to on I have random frame drops to 30-40.

I think it stays aroud 300-400 fps in the Fort Frolic area and I use a 60Hz monitor.

So are you saying that the higher your FPS is the more height you gain from the Fling?
Edit history:
Judgy: 2015-03-21 02:18:54 am
Judgy: 2015-03-21 02:17:28 am
Judgy: 2015-03-21 02:17:22 am
Judgy: 2015-03-21 02:17:20 am
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
It would kind of make sense , if the game calculates collision over a certain amount of time then having a higher frame rate would cause you to be pushed higher due to more calculations over that amount of time.

For example: if when running at 60 fps the game will boost you for 1/30 of a second so the boost it gives you will be given once for each of 2 frames, however if the game runs @ 300fps The game might still give a boost for 1/30 of a second but boosts you 10 times. ( once for each frame rendered within that 1/30 of a second)

#HardTheory
Yeah, that sounds about right, frame rate definitely has a massive effect on how high you get flung/boosted:

To be honest, if I do any more runs I'm probably just going to leave vsync enabled for now and not use this glitch. It ends up replacing a lot of the other glitches in the run into a series of flings that simply require very high FPS to perform, for example: at > 350fps you can use the wheelchair to boost over the wall in Medical Pavilion without MToF, at > 550fps you can boost yourself over the trigger in Arcadia without getting in the tree, etc.
I like this trick for segmented run stuff, as it is the fastest possible strat. but as you said, i'd rather not use this for single-segment runs. Really cool discovery though in that it is indeed fps related, probably is the same in BioShock 2 as well
Edit history:
penta: 2015-03-23 06:18:06 pm
Yeah, I agree with you, it could be a separate category, it changes the current strats so much as you said

I'll keep using it at fort frolic, it was the way I learned to go through the area, I didn't stop to learn the flingless way.

But I don't intend to compare with other people's times anyway so it's personal.
Edit history:
Glurmo: 2015-03-30 05:51:48 pm
Glurmo: 2015-03-30 05:50:45 pm
I thought I was done with this game for now... but I bought a new mouse today which is much nicer to play with and it's making me want to do a few more runs, MToF feels slightly more consistent without a pos wireless mouse.

Has anyone ever figured out what makes the door just before the elevator in Welcome to Rapture open quicker? It seems to open instantly sometimes saving ~6 seconds rather than making you wait, but I have no idea what causes it.

Also, do you think it's faster to retrieve your weapons from the pneumo in Neptune's Bounty so you don't have to pick up the camera roll in Arcadia? And loot Peach for a Auto hack tool to use on the code-door in Hephaestus?
MToF is very inconsistent for me, I have no idea how to control the crazyness after I use Tele on top of the gurney. Also Any tips on the early grenade skip?

I never had that to happen for me, maybe could be something like the positioning inside the elevator. For example, in the begining of arcadia at the door you need to destroy a lock, sometimes the door doesnt open because you are to close to it, if you move back and go towards the door again, it opens.

The camera roll, at least for me, takes no time at all to get, you can do it while moving sideways. I don't know anything about the routing, I just followed what you guys did, I'll put some thinking into it to try to find something. Could you show this routing for the auto-hack tool?
Edit history:
Glurmo: 2015-04-01 05:21:57 pm
Glurmo: 2015-04-01 05:20:39 pm
I still don't fully understand how to control the MToF, it might be harder for you too because at > 60fps collision is even more broken. With the early grenade skip are you referring to the part where you catch Steinmans grenade and blow up the sign blocking the door? If so, I just move right up close to the sign and aim down almost to the floor, this always blows up the sign for me.

I always try to grab that camera roll while moving sideways... which works in practice, but in runs I always miss it and waste 10+ seconds messing around :p.

The auto hack tool thing is literally just loot Peach after you kill him in Neptune's Bounty, he always drops an Auto Hack Tool, then just use it (Q) on the 0126 code door in Hephaestus instead of manually entering the code, it only saves the time it previously took to input the code (2-3 seconds for me).
Edit history:
penta: 2015-04-02 09:08:18 am
Exactly, that sign, I think I understand how it works now, thanks.

The auto hack might save more time for me because I'm bad at menuing, couldn't it be used in the door in Olympus Heights? I think that one takes a lot of more time to open (5-7-4-4)
Unfortunately the code lock in Olympus Heights doesn't give a hack option so it can only be used in Hephaestus.
Edit history:
penta: 2015-04-24 08:16:34 am
I don't know why, but i have a huge slowdown in the movement speed when going up the ramp at the begining of Smugler's Hideout. At first, I thought it was normal but then I checked some runs and I couldn't notice this problem in any of the runs listed on the leaderboards.

It's similar to the water effect, I need to keep jumping to make it faster.
That's related to the framerate as well, the higher your framerate the more friction that ramp in Smuggler's Hideout seems to have. Not sure why it only happens with that specific ramp but at 60fps it doesn't happen.
Edit history:
penta: 2015-05-09 06:25:26 pm
I'm getting a fair consistency on MToF by doing certain inputs in a specifc order: Jump on top of the table (the gurney positioned onthe last step of the stairs or on the ground) --> Jump only vertically --> Use Tele in mid air --> press forward holding tele

Also, maybe this is known, but what triggers the gate opening right after the skip is the destruction of the turret. So, as soon as you kill it holding the corpse with tele, the gate will open.
Little silly glitch that I had hopes at the start

I just thought that maybe the two little sisters could work together and do it faster or something useful, but at the end it was just funzies
Got a good run for 100% yesterday

Minor changes from Sanju's route like using Fling in Fort Frolic to skip dialogues faster and buying 2 tonics with adam instead of getting them on the stage. The RNG for the Big Daddies is a pain to deal with.
I got very stressed with arcadia skip lately, that board is very random when it comes to position near the tree for climbing, I lost several runs because of the time I took to position it. So, I started to look for ways to climb the tree using fling, which is a much more consistent technique and you can actually master it, instead of depending on luck to place the board.

The board isn't luck dependent or random, you can actually place it properly pretty much every time if you know how to manipulate it. By forcing it into the tree it'll straighten out and stand up straight. From there all you have to do is drop it in the right spot and you're done.

Using the fling might still be faster overall but it's definitely not more consistent.
I always put it standing up but the problem is also to climb on top of the tree, it need to have higher edge and most of the times when you don't use the sack to help on the jump the board moves and falls
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2015-06-28 08:13:04 am
I saw a thing (I suspect it was the Devs Play with John Romero Doom 2/Bioshock, look it up you'll find it) where someone mentions a trick speedrunners hadn't found yet. I believe the trick was to shoot at one of the rotating valves that takes you to the next area somewhere. Can't remember which one. This will trigger it apparently, saving a few seconds of walking. I hope it was from that video. The video itself has J.R. playing someone's D2 map which recreates a part of Bioshock.

If you have two Little Sisters, won't it increase the chances one of them will get to the next bit quicker? Maybe it takes time to set up though.
Wake up and be awesome
Little late to the party LotBlind, Blood Thunder showcased that trick you mentioned at AGDQ2014 (and I believe he said it the same way) Smiley
Okay then it might have been me watching his run where he explains that there was a thing he found etc. That's memory for you, lol.
Edit history:
penta: 2015-06-28 10:52:10 am
penta: 2015-06-28 10:51:51 am
penta: 2015-06-28 10:31:09 am
penta: 2015-06-28 10:05:58 am
Might be one of the valves which leads to farmer's market, thats nice to know...

The thing with the two little sisters is that one of them always get stuck behind and you have to go back after each fight section to make her follow the path again. So it's not really useful.

Very interesting to see Arcadia in Doom style btw, awesome video!

E: Nope, I just tested and there's nothing on the farmer's market door using Electrobolt, so it might just be the old known trick at the entrance of medical.
New setup for Point Prometheus