--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2013-11-13 12:55:39 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Bionic Commando (2009) (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Sean 'MURPHAGATOR!' Murphy!
Thread title:  
1-Up!
Run Information

Bionic Commando (2009) (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/bc2009/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Nov. 12, 2013.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Really fun watch. I saw a few mistakes but not knowing anything about the game, I would say this is amazing. Even the bloopers were fun to watch because of the fast improv for recoveries. Someone please get this into an upcoming GDQ. This was really fun.

I believe this was on PC, is the available for consoles as well?
Not a walrus
This is the PC version, yeah. Was also on 360/PS3.
The run looks good. Pretty straight forward with only minor mistakes. It's an accept.
Precursor
As one of I assume two people who actually signed up to verify this thing since I've dabbled in running it myself (as an X360 player those PC loading times are making me jealous), TIME TO DO THIS

Ascension City Downtown I: Not really anything to say, it's a straightforward part.

Tutorial: A nice skip I didn't know about was made.

Ascension City Downtown I (again): That one missed swing cost a few seconds, but having seen Murph stream, I know how much can go wrong early.

Ascension City Downtown II: Nothing to comment on.

Ascension City Downtown III: Noy much to say here either, except that forced waiting sucks.

Ascension City Downtown IV: Very good grappling through the minefields, minor mistakes but good comebacks.

Ascension City Downtown V: Good grappling route at the start, and nice dispatching of the Biomechs. They're never that cooperative when I play.

Ascension City Downtown VI: Real good route. Not much else happened.

Trent Industrial District I: Except for the fight at the end, someone not familiar with the game and not reading the comments where it's mentioned wouldn't even know there ere mistakes made in this part.

Trent Industrial District II: The indoors fight with the Biomech can be hairy but this one was done really well.

Trent Industrial District III: Great grappling at the start. That Polycraft skip was absolutely sick.

Trent Industrial District IV: Waaaaater. Water in this game is absolutely terrible. Good dealing with the Polycraft and that long stetch of mines is not anywhere near as simple as he makes it look.

Fissure I: It's VERY easy to lose speed here, as demonstrated, but largely it was done really well.

Fissure II: A few misses, but really good finish.

Ascension City Downtown VII: Some ugly misses with the Bulldog, but really nice skip with the hacking.

Ascension City Downtown VIII: Good planning with getting the challenge rewards.

FSA Avenue: The Bulldog is the best weapon in the game and that fact was demonstrated with extreme prejudice.

The Buraq: The Tarantula is the second best weapon in the game but that does nothing to mitigate the RNG hell that this boss is, as the pod drops are random. Good use of the machine gun to deal with the Polycraft, and there were some close calls.

Fissure III: Having the Tarantula for the Berserker Biomech was invaluable, those things are horrible.

Saint's End Station: Whip spin is amazing.

Fissure IV: It is a pretty fun area, and fun to do fast.

Ascension City Park I: Good swinging. The Biomech fight here is probably my least favourite biomech fight in the entire game. There's not much to do about it when they decide to be bitches and so this might be the worst segment through no real fault of the runner.

Avenue of Heroes: Too short to even be worth mentioning. Okay, there was a swing or two that could have been cleaner but there's messy terrain here.

Ascension City Park II: The Biomech fight here is actually probably tied with the last one for worst. Three Biomechs in the same place is never a good thing. This one looked a little more like the kind of Biomech fights I tend to have. :V

Ascension City Garden: The Lancer Biomechs with their big guns look scary but I tend to have less problems with them than with all other Biomechs in the game. And that's not only because of the guns. Quite clean section.

Ascension City Park III: Clean fights. Not so clean swings at the start, but all in all good.

Ascension City Park IV: Short. Not bad.

Federal Archives: First time I played this segment in the game it was horrible. It got less horrible for each repeat. Good use of grenades. The Constructor Drones are kinda annoying. Well played.

The Mohole: You'll just have to fuck it. Can be quite an annoying boss, but was done well with the two-cycle. It didn't even get to start using its actual dangerous attacks.

Port Anderson I: Lancer Biomechs; Still not actually dangerous. But dropping the weapon before it was dead was a pretty bad mistake.

Port Anderson II: I might retract my earlier statement because Air Force Biomechs suck. Given that there's four of them in this part alone, it was done ridiculously well, and even if falling into the water seems really ugly this segment could have been so, so much worse even including that thing witht he living heavy.

Port Anderson III: More Biomech fights that could have been so, so costly. One Air Force Biomech takes four Bulldog shells and you get eight for this part, so missing a single one sucks. That long range Bulldogging was among the most impressive things in this whole run.

Buraq Armada: And so we enter the endgame, with a part that tries to give the impression it's harder than it is. You can, as demonstrated, completely ignore everything that's shooting at you.

Ash City: Just transport to the final stage.

The Constructor: Okay I've tried to do that thing where you pull those things out without actually killing everything and never gotten it to work. Murph has all the luck. (Actually, Murph has all the practice. And, presumably, a whole bunch of attempts failed here.) And then it's time for Groeder, who should really be considered the final boss of the game. He talks too much. I... did not actually know you could grenade him halfway through, which makes this fight much less stupid. Once he summons drones, it becomes that.

The Vault: And, the last proper gameplay segment. Close call at the start there. Having the ceiling be unhookable is kind of dumb, but yeah. It's really just a corridor with enemies before the interactive ending cutscene.

The Final Battle: 'cause a proper final battle, it ain't. Imagine the kind of final battle it COULD have been. Just a series of quicktime events, so everything after Groeder is really just a playable ending with the big reveal getting dropped.

So, all in all: Really good run of what I consider a really good game. Gonna have to closely study this run if I ever want to speedrun it more seriouslyer, but for the time being I'll stick to my Rearmeds.

Conclusion: Reject because it didn't use the Retro Spencer skin Big accept.
Trent Industrial District III (?) after fighting the polycraft you collect an object. What is it for? Just curious.

This is faster than another run on YouTube and looks smoother in many places. 33:45 has something like half a minute lost on badly behaving A.I. And yes the ending sequence is lazily designed...

Accept
Terraffirmative!
I had to check the video because I wasn't sure exactly what you were talking about. The thing I got was a collectable that's used to unlock concept art, it wasn't really intentional to grab it, it just happens to be in the way. It sort of looks like I stopped to get it because I made an extra swing, but the real reason was just because I didn't believe I had enough momentum to make it to the next floating mine.
Not a walrus
Decision posted.