Smiley
Sad
12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Hey, so i want to start speedrunning and I took this game for start. Beyond Good & Evil 100%

100% means:

88 pearls
56 photos
14 Mdisk
All addons (Pearl detector, Animal detector, Super attack booster)
13 Pa1 (HP up)
6 Meca impulsers (Hovercraft HP up)

It's really easy to get all this things when you play the game, you don't have to take any long detours or backtrack. Only long thing is Mdisk nr.13. You have to save, take code from save file, go to website, put this code, do little mini-game, and put code back.
For my normal playthrough it took me around 5-6 hours to take everything and end the game, in speedrun it can take less then 4 hours probably. I know there is Xbox version of this game but I don't really think that there are some major different between games, so maybe they could be classified together (not sure how comparing the same on different platform works)

For streaming purpose, im using DXWnd to run game in window mode, thanks to this I don't have some weird graphic glitch that happend on fullscreen.

Well, I hope I said everything, and I did it right, it's my first speedrun so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Senvy: 2013-06-09 06:04:09 am
Ok, I did two runs, 2 days ago, and yesterday. Run 2 days ago finished with crash just before last boss in the game. I did some mistake, but still it was good first try. For first time I got this weird sound glitch, and No more memory error. I looked a little, and find out that this is some problem with game that it doesn't empty the memory properly, so some of sound "loop" and randomly take memory, so new sound/speeches can't be loaded properly, and because at the last boss, there is about 1 and half minute cutscene, game can't load more and crash (although I still have 1.5 GB ram free space).
Yesterday run was the same as two days ago, but this time I saved before last boss, so I loaded the game and finished it. That run was really bad, i did many stupid misatkes.

I probably won't be using DXWnd for running game in window mode, I'm not sure if the program is the reason of sound glitch or not, so I found solution for graphic problems on fullscreen. I hope fullscreen game won't have any problem with emptying memory, and i can play normaly without any stupid sound glitch.

If you want to watch my runs, here are the links. ( I did some commentary, but they aren't the top class, and also my micro is too sensitive, and it could often capture my breath, can't help it)
2 days ago http://twitch.tv/senvy/b/383364810

Today I will also stream so I will be able to say if I get rid of the problem or not, but this time I will save before each boss (so later I can train fights with them) I will start streaming in next 2-3 hours (I hope) so any one who want to watch me failing, feel free to join http://twitch.tv/senvy/
Ok, I tried everything, any solution which could work, I tried it all, but none of them work. I hoped maybe newer version of game is better so I asked my friends, if they don't have this game from gog or steam, one of them had gog version of game, I tried it today but still, game crash at the end, and sound glitch occured. So I'm done with 100%, later maybe I will try any% Beyond Good & Evil I hope it will work, if not, then I won't be able to speedrun this game.
Pity, I actually enjoyed your test run. Since you need to save for the internet disc code anyway, wouldn’t it be possible to restart the game at this point? At least, you wouldn’t lose any time, although it would be quite hard to detect if this was single- or segemented.
Yeah, and thats the point. I can restart the game instead of alt+tab to put the code, but you know, I really wanted to get it full without sound glitch and reset. Maybe I will play this way, but for now I feel really disapointed because I didn't found any good solution. And what's more frustrating, i can improve my time 3:28:XX by around 8 min by taking diffrent rout/diffrent pic/etc, but again, I don't like reseting, and thats the main reason why I won't stream 100% for now. Maybe in few days when i get over that feeling, I will try again do clean run with reset.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
do you want to include the time spent on the minigame? You could get win vista/7 and record the alt tabbing and everything, and let someone else decide the timing (I dont have win7 vista to know if it will work)
Yeah, if you mean "mini game" - goign to internet. I include time I spend on internet, because it's always random code from your self file, when you put this random code, then you have to get another random code (from 4 to 12 letters max) and then you got code that you put and get last Mdisk. I include this time, because all I have done is to get this one Mdisk.

Also I wanted to do run today, but I have too much stuff that I need to learn for today and tomorrow, so I will stream another 100% try in weekend. I will try to play atleast twice, both in saturday and sunday. Ech I really wanted to get off with this error, but looks like this game wasn't meant to be played in less then 4h on pc (don't know about other consols), so like i was thinking, and just like xeen suggested, I will reset the game when I will be taking code from save file.

I will try to start streaming around 11 my time.
Edit history:
gia: 2013-04-11 12:59:21 pm
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
There is beyond good & evil on the gamecube, xbox, and ps2 I read, just in case Tongue
Edit history:
Senvy: 2013-05-07 03:47:04 am
Senvy: 2013-05-07 03:46:47 am
Senvy: 2013-04-22 10:24:31 pm
Week ago, I got new pb 3:24:XX but the whole run was really bad, I made many stupid mistakes, so I was so unhappy that I didn't even mention it week ago. Today I made another try, and my new pb is 3:19:30. Whole run was really solid, I did made 2 or 3 "big" mistakes, but still I was able to improve my pb by almost 5 min. It still can be improve by like 2 min or more probably.
Edit history:
Senvy: 2013-06-09 11:06:48 pm
Hey, it's been a while. I checked something, and I know my 3:19:30 run isn't legit. Almost always I got some problem with audio, but in that run I had another problem, cutscenes end faster then it should be. Its looks like someone speedup video to end faster (around 2-3 sec). Yesterday I did another run, and again I got the same problem, so even when I got new PB 3:14:09 its not legit. I will try to get rid of of this problem, but I don't know if I can. And also, in last run I used first glitch that I found (in previous run it was done by accident, but in last one I know how to do this properly)
If someone want to watch, here is the link http://www.twitch.tv/senvy/c/2395382

Also I'm thinking about speedrunning another game Dino Crisis 2 (PC version) Currently I'm trying to get better at the game and try to found if there are any trick for this game.
hm, can you elaborate on what you mean by "cutscenes end earlier". Is that a bug specific to your game/pc/etc.? If it can be reproduced elsewhere, I don't see why it should be used in a speedrun?
Heavy Metal Powered
Sounds like a bug related to running the game on more cores than it was designed for, try changing the affinity.
Start the game, open task manager with CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, processes tab, right click the game exe, set affinity, untick all but one of the cores)
If you also record with FRAPS, it's wise to not let FRAPS use the core you assigned the game to as it can result in choppy video.
No, I'm not using fraps at all, when i run the game, the only thinks are runnig are OBS, the game, Llanfair, and Mozilla.

@Xeen I mean this: whenever you see a cutscene, it always take the same amount of time to watch it (like intro) but for my 2 runs, video was sometimes faster then it should be and sound was normal, its just like speeding the game when you play on emulator to go faster, so for me its not legit, and I'm trying to get rid of it.

@Warepire: I also know about bug with cores. I tried to change the cores before starting the game, but that was when I was trying to get rid of another problem (audio synch), but anyway will give it a try next time.
Hey again guys, its been a while.
I finally got back from vacation, and had some free time to try and speedrun Beyond Good & Evil once again, and this time I think, there is no video probelm on cutscenes.

Don't know why, but when I get back to my old way of streaming this game (using program dxwnd to run game in window more instead of fullscreen), I see that video is fine in cutscene. So now that I don't have to worry about game itself, I can focus on speedruning the game, and trying to improve my time. I saw taht some other people are also speedruning this game, and thats make me happy.
Hey once again.

After many tries, at last I got new PB / WR on 100%.
Few last tries, end up being around 5 min behind my old pb, but today I got 3:15:45 time.
Whole run was really good. I made one big mistakes that cost me around 1 min, but apart from that, I didn't made almost any small mistakes, that normaly cost me the most lost time.
I also didn't take any heal item. At first I thougn I need at least one of them to survive some parts of the game, but aparently, if you play really well, you can beat the game without any heal item. Thanks to that I also gain few seconds.

Also I think I'm done with 100%, and now will try any%.
If someone want to see the video, here is the link http://www.twitch.tv/senvy/c/3002157
very nice run Senvy. What was the problem with the internet code, though,  I didn’t quite get from the video what actually went wrong?
Thanks xeen.
What I did wrong there, I went straight for the code, but each time I input the code in the website, I got message that I need to "go further in the game". At first I though I glitch something, but after a while, I figure out, I didn't went to Iris, and I didn't met mayor, and I didn't get keycard from her.
After getting the card, I input the code, and everything went well.

Also, I did said that I'm done with 100%, and now I'm doing any%.
I did a run few minutes ago, and I probably have another PB / WR.
The time I was referring to, was Resonei from SRL, who also have PC version of this game, and claim that he beat the old Xbox version record (I also think he did).
His old time was 2:39:XX , and today I got 2:35:23.6
I'm saying probably my time is new WR because his run was done almost one month ago, so I'm not sure if he didn't get better time (but probably not)
It was quite funny run, because I always play and get everything from the game (on the run or casual), so it was quite hard to find what is not necessary to get, or what will cost me too much time. I did few mistakes, but I had fun and I also got good time. The game didn't crush at the end, as it tend to do so in 100% run if I don't restart the game, so I gain few seconds.

100% link http://twitch.tv/senvy/c/3002157

any% link http://twitch.tv/senvy/c/3007697
Yea we're watching...
Hey Senvy, been looking to do any% run of this game so I've been stalking your videos hope you don't mind.
Hey! I'm wanting to attempt an any % run of this game on ps2, any advices for speedrun beginners ?
Truljin @ Twitch
Been looking to start running this game as well, one of my favorites of all time, just need to fix the graphical glitches/flickering...
Damn, wasn't expecting more people to come here haha.

@Righteousruff
It's fine. I think there is place for improvement. I just took my 100% route, and changed few things, so it would be more like Resonei any% route.
I wasn't expecting to get any% WR/PB after first try, but well, somehow I did.

@discipleofbeer
Well, only advance I could say is to get PC version of the game. It's a lot faster, but be aware, that this game wasn't meant to play on Windows 7/8/Vista. It's really glitchy and maybe can't work at all (on my sister pc, game always plays 2x times faster then it should be). Other then that, look at my any% run and Resonei any% run. There are the same (I think so), so it should be good way to find good strats.

@lillbrorsan
Yeah, this game is really great. If you still have any problem, say it. I also had a lot of problem with this game, but somehow after X numbers of reinstaling and doing some strange experiments, the game runs without any problems, expect on 100% it always crash right before final boss.
Edit history:
Emitan: 2014-03-04 07:53:49 pm
The version from GoG.com seems to work way better than the Steam version so I play on that.

I want to start running this game as its one of my favorite games ever and seems like a fun game for my first speedrun. Senvy is your Any% run still the WR?
Well I think yes. I know about other guy whos run I saw on twitch (his name I Seronei), his time was my goal and I beat it on first try. I checked if there are any new better time, but I didn't found any.

About version of the game, its more about your PC then the game. Or at least the GoG version wasn't working any better then my CD version of the game. It's hard to say, for some people other version don't work better (or at all) and for other they just work.
Edit history:
Emitan: 2014-03-05 11:22:15 am
Decided to try doing the first half of the game kind of blind and it went pretty poorly, but it's my first attempt so I guess it's okay. http://www.twitch.tv/emitans/c/3832269

I started getting impatient at the end and did the factory stealth really bad.

Also my stream layout was bad, I've fixed the splits so they're easier to read now.
First try are always like that. About being impatient, well it's the biggest enemy. You can easily lost few minutes if you fail few of the stealth "mission", and there are couple of them.