Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Flip: 2013-04-07 01:46:09 pm
Flip: 2013-03-21 02:09:59 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Bermuda Syndrome (Any %) (Segmented)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Alexey 'Archanfel' Vishnevskiy!
Thread title:  
1-Up!
Run Information

Bermuda Syndrome (Any %) (Segmented)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/BermudaSyndrome

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by April 4, 2013.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Dragon Power Supreme
A/V fine, but the audio might have been recorded too loud. The HQ encode does not have the save/load screens and is consistent with the actual segments.

I have never played the game before but did watch a bit of YouTube walkthroughs for comparison.
Run timed to 49:56. The runner did a great job going through enemies or battling them where needed, as well as reloading weapons where necessary expect maybe a couple of parts where I think he could have loaded a bit more ammo rather than be exact, mainly because he had nothing to do during those parts.
Puzzle solving seems optimal and platforming is pretty good. The runner really cuts it close to being damaged from enemies a number of times but just killed them in time. This actually saved battle time (less running around) and thus saved time per segment which is great, and this is pretty clear at the last two-three segments with the boss fights.

The only query is the segmentation choice. Most segments are "short" (up to 3 minutes). Did the runner not have enough disk space to record the game? This comes into play in segments 29-33 where he is in a platform ride for a few minutes yet segments in the middle of the ride for no reason. That wasted him time only due to save penalties but that's about it.

Accept.
I'm not familiar with this game, but I feel like I got a good grasp on it since it's in the same family as Flashback. Audio and video are good.

Overall this run seems very well done, and I particularly enjoyed the tight movement. There's lots of little touches that show the runner definitely planned every action, and some moves like rolling between reloads and getting knocked backward through a collection of eggs look very purposeful and efficient. Additionally, it's obvious even if you don't read the notes how exploiting Natalia's AI plays a central role in the route, involving some complicated maneuvering and preplanning. The menuwork is also fast, minimalized to blinks of the eye practically.

As someone who doesn't know the game's sequence, I would say this run performed as many optimizations as it could, and it looked quick. For a game so rigidly structured, I'm surprised there were as many tricks and skips as there were, so it was a surprising run to me.

Getting on the log before the runner could be rowed across was hilarious, and I didn't even notice he had skipped a portal until I saw it in the notes. And then the part in segment 13 where you took out the grate underneath Natalia looks really slick, not to mention manipulating her movement with switches. The perfect timing on the shotgun becoming usable again was neat, and then nailing all of the scorpions afterward shows that it took a number of re-records to get this right.

The runner also does a cool trick to skip a barrier in the generator area that saves a lot of time -- I thought that was a really nice exploit, and from the runner's comments, it seemed like it would just be a small deal. Otherwise, the runner's notes addressed all the questions I had, like performing a running jump off of the platform in lava.

This is a good run, and while the segmentation is a little strange in places, I feel like it doesn't detract from the overall quality. It involved a lot of time and careful planning, and I think all of that shows, even to people like me who haven't seen this game before.

Decision: Accept
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2013-03-24 01:09:18 pm
Willing to teach you the impossible
Cant say much from not knowing anything about the game. But from what I saw, I would echo what IsraeliRD said mostly. Only a few things of note from me. On the lava section, why did the runner not do a running jump to get over faster and why did the runner not shoot one segment of eggs but rather took hits and killed off the baddies once all the eggs were open?

Regardless, easy accept.
Edit history:
Archanfel: 2013-03-24 02:30:36 pm
Archanfel: 2013-03-24 02:28:03 pm
Archanfel: 2013-03-24 01:54:05 pm
Quote from IsraeliRD:
The only query is the segmentation choice. Most segments are "short" (up to 3 minutes).
To avoid mistakes. In cases when i tried do segments twice longer - as usually i doing minor mistakes which cost me 2s - it mean that it bring the same effect on time as penalty (or even worse). So i prefered to doing segments shorter, but without mistakes.
Even with flying turtle 29-33 segments. Because of  invisible obstacles accurate up-down sequence is need there to avoid time wasting.
Quote from Heidrage:
On the lava section, why did the runner not do a running jump to get over faster
-At lava section running jump is impossible.
Quote from Heidrage:
and why did the runner not shoot one segment of eggs but rather took hits and killed off the baddies once all the eggs were open?
-Because of shotgun was wet and unable to shoot.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Simple answers, thanks.
Dragon Power Supreme
Works for me, cheers.
1-Up!
Decision posted.
Shut up and go back to another earth
Congratulations Archanfel ! Finally accepted Smiley
@Dear admins
Is it possible to change on game page "Main menu screenshot" to the "Game title screenshot" ? I think picture with game title will be better Roll Eyes