--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Flip: 2012-10-10 08:43:57 pm
1-Up!
Game Page:

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
My Favorite 1-UP,
  Battlefrogs in stereo...

All tech is good, blah, blah, blah.

Flying Pigs - Very impressive.  The cliff fake out was lol-tastic.  And the Stone Pig strat is very nice.
Insect Plummet - I know the runner mentions levels being autoscrollers, but that's not entirely accurate.  Levels like this are all about managing kills to gain level progression.  Having said that, there is some sloppiness here.  However, having said that, the fighting mechanics and hit detection on this level are shoddy at best.  So it's forgivable.
Bonus 1st - Boring!  Next.
Driving in Los Angeles - But with no accidents.
Why'd it have to be Snakes - Yup.  Runner takes the short finish.  I would too.
Where does this even take Place - Mmm-Hmm.  About as fast as you can get.
Bonus 2nd - Lost a second. *gasp*
Tower of Terror - That was right purty.  And the air juggle.
T and A - She takes a beating like nonoe other.  And likes it.  Sick.  Good fight though.
Independence Day - Three for three.

I remember playing this game a lot.  While it's not as bad as the NES game, this is hard to beat, let alone speedrun.  It was always on my list, but I kept pushing it down because of frustration.  So I'm glad to see this submission.  I was also among the verifiers for the earlier submission.  That was a good run, but needed some polish.  This run does so and really brings it home considering the difficulty.  I happily ACCEPT.  This game is overdue to grace the SDA site.  It's clobberin' time!

Quote:
Audio and video are good. The run only has a few deaths but mostly to decrease time. I saw no cheating.

Accept

Quote:
Audio/video good.

Start time: 0:18 (control of Pimple)
End time: 20:14 (bye bye ship)
Total: 19:56

Stage 1: Fast as it could reasonably be. Nice stone piggy strats. Only deaths in the run to save time were in this stage (other than bonus stages, but those don't kill lives).
Stage 2: This is where having 2 players would be super helpful, since killing enemies allows for progression here in this "autoscroller." However, the 1-player management was well done. Could be improved, but good enough for me.
Bonus 1: DIE!
Stage 3: Autoscroll. Showoff.
Stage 4: Autoscroll...ish. Good glitch finish.
Stage 5: Autoscroll...ish as well.
Bonus 2: DIE 2!
Stage 6: Win the race.
Stage 7: Boss time. Forgot about these deaths. Kill the Queen!
Stage 8?: Perfect missile shots.

As I was watching the run, I wondered if it would be faster with Rash than Pimple, since (if I recall correctly) his "insta-kill boot" moves faster. idk

Look forward to seeing a 2-player coop speedrun in the future. Just need two runners for it....

Anyway....ACCEPT! Very glad to see one of my favorite childhood games make it on here! Cheesy

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Patrick 'PJ' DiCesare!
Thread title:  
Is PJ
Wow, that was really fast!  Thanks, guys!

Quote from Verifier 3:
As I was watching the run, I wondered if it would be faster with Rash than Pimple, since (if I recall correctly) his "insta-kill boot" moves faster. idk

Rash has a faster run speed, so I was wondering the same thing.  However, when I was doing some testing in level 1, I was getting a time 2-3 seconds slower than Pimple.  I think maybe his aerial attack is slower so his boss kill was slow?  I'm not sure, to be honest.  All I know is that when I checked, Pimple was either faster or just as fast, and since he's my favorite I stuck with him.  ^_^

Quote from Verifier 1:
Insect Plummet - I know the runner mentions levels being autoscrollers, but that's not entirely accurate.  Levels like this are all about managing kills to gain level progression.  Having said that, there is some sloppiness here.  However, having said that, the fighting mechanics and hit detection on this level are shoddy at best.  So it's forgivable.

Yea, the level stops scrolling when there are enemies on screen, but most enemies die before the screen stops.  The pairs of green snake heads, the electrobots, and the two columns of bees are the exceptions.  Since the latter 2 are almost always the same timing, my times for this stage are usually based entirely off the green snake heads.  Unfortunately, this run was sloppier than normal.  Sad  Definitely the biggest time loss of the run, even if it is only 3 seconds.

Quote from Verifier 1:
So I'm glad to see this submission.  I was also among the verifiers for the earlier submission.  That was a good run, but needed some polish.  This run does so and really brings it home considering the difficulty.

The other run I submitted was on the PAL version, too.  It behaves mostly the same, but level 2 scrolls faster so the combat there is even more critical.  It also is even shoddier.  Haha.  Not going to try a run on that version again.

Just a quick note about the category.  Every verifier mentioned the death, which is obviously intentional.  I don't think there should be a separate category for deathless, because the death abuse in this game saves literally 1 second.  Not sure if runs are labeled as "any% with deaths" only if there is a separate category, but I thought I'd just clarify that.

Thanks again!
Edit history:
Exo: 2012-10-11 03:40:28 am
Exo: 2012-10-11 03:37:52 am
Sandbagging
Congratulations PJ! Time to tackle Robotrek or a good game like Lagoon Tongue
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Exo:
Congratulations PJ! Time to tackle Robotrek or a good game like Lagoon Tongue

ActRaiser 2 maybe...
Is PJ
Yea....