Sad
<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Hi guys, I'm kind of new to this whole speedrunning thing
I just started routing for New Game Any% (No lvl skips)
I was wondering if anyone knew if it's worth the time to try to get new weapons since you only start with the energy ball disc
thanks!
With any% NG (so no NG+), what's the deal with the weapons? Because you keep the weapons... Maybe a weaponless run? And when start the timer? When you get control?
Is PJ
In NG you don't start with weapons, right?  Just the exploding frisbee I thought.  You can get other weapons if you really care to, but I think the order in which they unlock is random, so you'd have to reset until you get energy ball/poison bubble/whatever first.  Would be a huge pain.

"Weaponless" would not be a worthwhile distinction IMO.  Any% NG would probably not spend the time to unlock new weapons and the disk is mostly useless, so that more or less already is weaponless.
Pac is Back
Are there already NG and NG+ records (RTA) or are people still working on routed segmented stuff?
I play on the PC, and with steam you can't restart the game, and the levels, but you keep the gems and weapons because they're linked to your account... So if I buy another weapon then I'll get one I have not got... That's what the problem is
Srry, typo. You CAN restart the game but you will keep your gems and weapons, because they're linked to your acc instead of a save file.
Created an acc so you can pm me
Edit history:
PJ: 2014-08-15 02:20:51 pm
PJ: 2014-08-15 02:20:30 pm
Is PJ
Ohhh I see.  That's pretty messed up then.  I'm unsure what NG would do in that case.  Do you keep all your heads too?

Quote from mattBLiTZ:
Are there already NG and NG+ records (RTA) or are people still working on routed segmented stuff?

There were a lot of people doing any% runs and posting their times.  It might've been a few pages ago.  The first post is not being kept up to date, if that's what you're wondering.

I just did a test run of 100% single player to get a feel for how long it'd take.  With the exception of maybe 20 levels, I haven't played this in several months so I didn't really remember most of my shortcuts and sequence breaks (for single player anyways).  It was mostly the "intended solution" for most levels.  On the levels where I did remember my tricks, I lost huge chunks of time trying them.  Hahaha.  Here's a summary of my guidelines and whatnot:

-Single-player NG+ 100% (A++ every level & encores, no secret levels)
-I allowed myself to do encores before finales since they're already unlocked.  I feel like this should be allowed for NG+ (but not for NG since they're not unlocked).
-Didn't bother with secret levels since they're not tracked on world progress bar
-Did not death abuse.  Death abuse would save a LOT of time, but I am preparing for Insane mode so I did not allow myself to intentionally use death warps.  I died a lot unintentionally, but never used it as a shortcut.
-I had energy ball in one slot for the entire run, and then switched between poison bubble and dart for the other slot.  I think I had poison bubble equipped for the first 5 worlds and switched to dart in world 6?  I did not use boomerang at all, but there are a lot of situations in which boomerang would save a lot of time.  I'll look into this more before my next run.
-World 6 is an asshole still.

Overall my time was 3:12:02.  The last three worlds took an hour and a half on their own.  Worlds 7 and 8 went really well, but I bombed world 6.  Had tons of costly deaths.  I'm pretty sure I can easily hit 2:40 for this category single player.  If you use death abuse wisely (aka, don't run on Insane mode), then you can probably cut another 5-10 minutes off that.  Co-op will probably be 2:15-2:20.  Cutting out the encores would probably save 30 minutes, so if "A++ no encores" ever becomes a thing, you should aim for around 2 hrs probably.

So yea, pretty fun test run.  I'll update with more stuff as I work on this.

Edit:  Just a note on my timing, either for others who are curious or for myself when I inevitably forget in a few days: I started the timer once I appeared in the "lobby" after loading the game.  I split upon entering the next world's door (so my chapter 1 split was from appearing in the lobby until I entered the chapter 2 door), and I stopped time when I stepped on the "exit" with Hatty.
The game counts whatever is in your Steam inventory as the items in-game. So yes, you'll keep all the heads. I think the only way to get rid of them would be to sell on the steam market.
Can't log in noe because I'm on mobile. But yeah you keep the heads... As I see it we have 2 choices (with the pc version). Or one with only the frisbee or no NG, because it isn't really possible to start the games without the earlier unlocked weapons. Maybe, just maybe it's possible to run with another acc, wich doesn't have any progress but that isn't easy...
-Caspian392
Is PJ
Played around with boomerang a lot tonight and came up with what I think are pretty solid routes for chapter 1.  I made a quick video with loads of mistakes to show the general route.  Again, the mistakes are mistakes but the route is the same:

I wrote a TON of comments in the Youtube description.  Please refer to those if you have questions.  This time can come down like 30 seconds, so a good chapter 1 split for 100% is probably around 14:25-14:30.
I really want to learn coop any%. If anyone wants to team with me... Go right ahead
Is PJ
I got a bit frustrated with chapter 2 routing because there are few points that seem slow no matter how I take it.  I'm not ok with slow, so I jumped ahead to chapter 4.  I think I'll be swapping energy ball for frog bomb here, at least for the first 3 levels.

Also, can we get rid of the static first post?  It is really really ugly and hasn't been edited in 3 months.
So for new game, should we stick strictly to disc the entire run since weapons won't reset when you delete your save?
Those boomerang strats are so good! You're making me want to do more work on this.
Edit history:
Caspian392: 2014-08-17 06:42:02 am
Caspian392: 2014-08-17 06:41:39 am
Quote from misterbenzadrine:
So for new game, should we stick strictly to disc the entire run since weapons won't reset when you delete your save?

We could make a new categorie for disc only... A real NG isn't possible because you keep all the weapons, so I think the any% would be run with all the weapons enabled. Routes and strats with disc only are really different, so we could make a different category for that (disc only, or even weaponless)
Edit history:
PJ: 2014-08-17 09:11:37 am
Is PJ
Honestly, NG shouldn't be able to use the weapons.  If you use non-disc weapons, it immediately becomes NG+.  The weapons give you a huge advantage.  I am unsure if it would otherwise be faster to collect 8 yarns along the way, visit the shop, and hope to get frog bomb/energy ball/poison bubble/whatever in any%, but I highly doubt it would.  In that case, NG any% would probably just use disc and intended route anyways.

So your options are to either use just disc, or to somehow find a way to really wipe all your save data if you actually want to buy weapons in any%.  Whatever you choose, you should not use existing weapons in NG.  That's my opinion at least.

Edit:  Whatever you do, please don't make "disc-only" a new category.  There's already way too many categories for this game as-is.  We're at like 1 category per runner.
I've unstatic'd the thread, seeing as the first post hasn't been touched since May and it has no important information that warrants it being shown on every page in the thread.
Edit history:
Caspian392: 2014-08-17 12:51:18 pm
Quote from PJ:
Honestly, NG shouldn't be able to use the weapons.  If you use non-disc weapons, it immediately becomes NG+.  The weapons give you a huge advantage.  I am unsure if it would otherwise be faster to collect 8 yarns along the way, visit the shop, and hope to get frog bomb/energy ball/poison bubble/whatever in any%, but I highly doubt it would.  In that case, NG any% would probably just use disc and intended route anyways.

So your options are to either use just disc, or to somehow find a way to really wipe all your save data if you actually want to buy weapons in any%.  Whatever you choose, you should not use existing weapons in NG.  That's my opinion at least.

Edit:  Whatever you do, please don't make "disc-only" a new category.  There's already way too many categories for this game as-is.  We're at like 1 category per runner.

Sounds like a good idea. BTW PJ, I saw in your video that you are using the keyboard. Is it because you don't have a controller or because you prefer keyboard?
Is PJ
I'm not using keyboard.  I'm using an SNES controller and joy2key.  Ideally I'd be using a 360 controller so I can pan the camera (to know if I'm going to get blasted by a laser before I energy ball boost), but when I plug my 360 controller into my computer, my Xbox turns on.  I'm too lazy to figure it out so I just use my SNES controller.  I'm sure I'll switch at some point.
Quote from PJ:
I'm not using keyboard.  I'm using an SNES controller and joy2key.  Ideally I'd be using a 360 controller so I can pan the camera (to know if I'm going to get blasted by a laser before I energy ball boost), but when I plug my 360 controller into my computer, my Xbox turns on.  I'm too lazy to figure it out so I just use my SNES controller.  I'm sure I'll switch at some point.

Haha, well the run looked amazing, even with the SNES controller thumbsup
Pac is Back
Quote from PJ:
I got a bit frustrated with chapter 2 routing because there are few points that seem slow no matter how I take it.  I'm not ok with slow, so I jumped ahead to chapter 4.  I think I'll be swapping energy ball for frog bomb here, at least for the first 3 levels.

Also, can we get rid of the static first post?  It is really really ugly and hasn't been edited in 3 months.

Slick run dude.  Looking forward to more.
Is PJ
Alright, I've finished the chapter 4 100% insane mode route.  This....this is a monster.

Again, since this is insane mode, I have to be a bit more careful with laser cycles and can't death abuse to speed things up.  I made a ton of mistakes and got really horrible luck, but this video is just to showcase the route, not to show an optimized chapter.  I expect ~1 minute can be cut with better luck, new finds, and fewer mistakes.  I wrote very extensive comments level-by-level in the youtube description, so if you have any questions or criticisms, please consult those first.  I found a few new things since I made the video, but I don't feel like trying to redo the whole chapter to show them, so they're just mentioned in the comments.

Whew!  I guess I'll finish up chapter 2 before I do another one.
Pac is Back
So what's the verdict on vsync for the PC players?  It was discussed on page 5 here since I guess the fastest run was done with vsync off, letting him get a faster time just from game speed alone.  Is there an easy way to check for it on in other runs people post, and if so, am I safe to assume people should use locked fps?
Is PJ
Vsync lock should be enabled.