Smiley
Sad
<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Dunno if this is known already, but you can use the energy ball to big toss off a wall while in midair. You just have to throw the energy ball as you double jump, but the timing is pretty strict.

I found a route for 7-6 any% using this that's about 20 seconds from gaining control to losing control, but I haven't timed it against going through the secret so I dunno if it's faster than the current strats.
Edit history:
OrangeCrix: 2014-07-11 07:39:22 pm
I just properly timed 7-6 from when you can just start moving to exiting the secret level and entering the Chapter 7 lobby again. It came out to be a little more than 24 seconds with a decent cycle on the saws.
Edit history:
OrangeCrix: 2014-07-11 07:38:31 pm
Chapter 3 looks like it could be optimized a lot with the Orb alone and the Frog. Potentially a lot of time to save.
Edit history:
Adikar: 2014-07-11 07:52:50 pm
@Scottm, you lied! lol. I had an AMAZING run in Any%, and you told me you can skip Chapter 8, so I walk all the way around to waste 20 seconds. lol. In a new game, you need to do 8-3, 8-6, 8-9 and Time Trials.
Doesnt matter, because i accidently did 8-2... My Any% NLS mentality made me do it. xD
I've been playing this quite a bit since the summer sale. Anyone interested in a possible co-op run?
Why is no one Typing on this Forum! lol We need runners!
Quote from Adikar:
@Scottm, you lied! lol. I had an AMAZING run in Any%, and you told me you can skip Chapter 8, so I walk all the way around to waste 20 seconds. lol. In a new game, you need to do 8-3, 8-6, 8-9 and Time Trials.

Unfortunately, I have already unlocked the first two sets of levels, but here you can see I haven't entered the last set and have still beaten the Time Trials. Smiley

i'll just add I haven't reset my level progress on BBT, so maybe this only works from a true new game state.

@rhenoplos really nice technique man! I think with practice we could do this consistently quicker than the secret level route!
Is PJ
I once went to world 8 on a new playthrough and the encore was already "completed".  I was able to play the encore and beat the game without completing any of the levels.  I have no idea what caused that, though.  I've been unable to replicate it.  Others have reported a similar thing, so there must be some logic behind it, but as of right now I have no idea.
I have it recorded or me walking to the time trial, and it not being open, then holding Y to die, and entering level 1 in New Game.
Maybe its when you beat 8-3 and 8-6, then it opens TT, Who knows.
BTW, the reason why none of my videos are not uploaded, is because im getting new internet soon. I have 4mbs Download, and .54mbs upload, so... yeah, it will take hours and hours to upload a 1:40 minute video. I should have my new internet
Edit history:
OrangeCrix: 2014-07-15 10:43:10 pm
Yeah, that glitch has also happened to me (in co-op). Should we determine any% (level skips) as completing 8-3, 8-6, and 8-9 even though this glitch may happen? If someone finds out how to manipulate it though, it could be allowed.
Is PJ
Yea I'd recommend doing 8-3, 8-6, and 8-9 for now.
Edit history:
scottm: 2014-07-16 06:22:03 pm
Quote from rhenoplos:
Dunno if this is known already, but you can use the energy ball to big toss off a wall while in midair. You just have to throw the energy ball as you double jump, but the timing is pretty strict.

Pretty strict... I have to use my index finger for the A button and my middle finger for the B button to pull it off - not sure I would risk this route in a run. It would be nice to see someone pull it off though!

Edit: I can pull it off quite consistently now after a few minutes of practicing the old two finger technique!
Edit history:
Adikar: 2014-07-17 12:27:52 am
Adikar: 2014-07-16 07:09:59 pm
Faster running the secret route anyways. It skips the 11 second stamp screen.
Also, Its not worth wasting time switching weapons for the chapter anyways. Gotta put that into consideration.
Pac is Back
Wtf @ that spotty ch 8 skip.  That's odd.
Edit history:
HiipFire: 2014-07-21 12:04:23 pm
Is there any chance that the OP could be updated/taken over with some info about tricks or something?
Me and a friend of mine have been thinking of doing coop runs of this game on 360
Started routing chapter 8 tonight, after I'm happy with all the routes I will quickly go over all the chapters, figure out where I'll be switching weapons and stuff, then I'll start doing full game runs!
I can do the orb jump in a few attempts, so I'm gonna be looking out for places to use that; like right here!
Been routing some of this game without seeing anything else. Current best is a 7:54 for World 1, 10:19 for World 2, 18:50 for 1 and 2. I also have 41 minutes for Worlds 1-4 and i have most of World 8 routed using a mixture of different weapons. Videos to come as and when I get around to finshing them.
Just started routing for 100%. Seems like I'm the only one in the category, so I'll be working on Any% once I get 100% down to a happy level.

I skimmed through the entire forum, but I'm still curious what we need to call something a legit run.

I think we should start the timer at the intro - not at jail, but at shipwreck - the moment we're able to control our character. But this does draw into concern the Hatty cutscene. I don't think it's a big deal, but others with different computers may disagree?

I'm personally gonna have that Intro as a separate split, then split at the entrance of each door.

The difficulty in co-op runs is the latency issue. Not sure if I want to run co-op%'s, but It would be interesting/fun.
Is PJ
You'll find that the "latency issue" is the key to making co-op runs fast and interesting.  There are a load of tricks that the client can do only because there is a few minor desync between him and the host.  Local co-op is pretty lackluster compared to online co-op.

I was working on 100% because I think it's the much more interesting route, but I've been working on more entertaining projects lately so I haven't been doing too much with it.  One of the main things I've been wondering about is the secret levels.  Since they aren't officially tracked anywhere, I am unsure if they should be required or not.
Quote from Styxx:
I think we should start the timer at the intro - not at jail, but at shipwreck - the moment we're able to control our character.

How do you begin a new game? So you can start from this point.
Quote from PJ:
One of the main things I've been wondering about is the secret levels.  Since they aren't officially tracked anywhere, I am unsure if they should be required or not.

Do you (or anyone) know if they are tracked on the progress bar in the player stats page? If they are I think we should include them in a 100% run.
But in a no level skip run we use secrets as an alt exit from the main level and then quit straight away from the secret level, does that mean we are skipping a level?

If they are required to be beaten for 100% (A++) they should also be required to be beaten in no level skip (any grade)
Is PJ
They are shown in the progress bar, but that is purely visual.  It is pretty difficult to see the difference between a completely full bar and one missing a few secret levels.  The levels aren't tracked in any actual stats and there's no achievement for them.  You can also A++ both the main level and secret level in one pass if you collect everything before entering the secret level, but you won't know if you actually got the time bonus unless you're playing off a fresh save.
I wouldn't include Secret levels in 100%, since it only will give you, like, a C for that level anyway. I'm going by the 100% A++'s on each level, visually. So basically a fully purple progress bar for each chapter.

You can start a new save by pulling out your battleblocktheatersave in the userdata.
So to start a new game, I just go to Program Files(x86) > Steam > userdata > [Whatever your user ID is; there's only one folder in there] > 238460 > remote > and pull out "battleblocktheatersave".
Put that file wherever you can remember it (somewhere on your desktop or something). If you want to play your completed game save, you can just put that back in the folder you pulled it out from.

Then, upon opening BattleBlock, it'll ask you to reload your save. Just say no, then continue without saving. Boom. New Game.

You may or may not have to disable Steam Cloud sharing for this, but it works great.

Hell, you probably could have separate saves for each chapter (like, one save where you've completed through chapter 1, one save for chapter 2, etc) so you can practice each chapter anew, and can test if you've gotten A++'s on Level 10a and 10b.
Is PJ
Quote from Styxx:
I wouldn't include Secret levels in 100%, since it only will give you, like, a C for that level anyway. I'm going by the 100% A++'s on each level, visually. So basically a fully purple progress bar for each chapter.

As I mentioned above, this isn't true.  Finishing via secret level is the same as finishing the level normally as far as score is concerned.  So if you quickly collect everything in the normal level and then take the secret exit and finish that, you can get two A++ scores.  I, too, would just aim for a fully filled progress bar for each chapter, but I'm still open for more opinions on the matter.
That's correct; however, if a visual A++ for one level is all that's attained, I don't see a problem with skipping secret levels. It would be just as if we completed the level alone. It seems extraneous.

I hope we can come to a consensus on this. =P
Pac is Back
I'd say full progress bar for each chapter makes sense.