1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Batman Returns (Any %) (Single Segment) (Hard)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
For whatever reason, you can pretty much skip to the end of the game...in the first level. I've seen this enough times to know that it's legit. Grappling in this game is ass, especially if you want to go directly up. It's pretty easy to cheese the last boss. The sound quality of the recording is actually accurate, even though it makes my ears bleed.
There is no reason that i can see to no accept this, other than it's a SMS game. GJ Adam

Quote:
Audio/Video as good as you might expect from an over 25 year old coaxial-only output system.
No cheating evident.

Yay, a great nostalgic game from my childhood! This is going to be f...
Okay, it's over!

My young mind was blown when I was finally told about the skip to the last level in this game. Normally this is a game that requires a lot of presicion platforming and mastery of the use of the very precise grappling hook. This route and run makes the game look so empty and easy it's almost sad, but the runner's comments state that it took about 600 attempts to get this time. That's a testament to how unforgiving this game really is.

Fantastic work. Definitely accepted.

My timing estimate:
Start time: 0:15
Completed: 1:57
Final time: 1:42

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Adam 'AdamAK' Kuczynski!
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Exo: 2012-12-19 11:53:22 am
Sandbagging
Well done AdamSMS. Now do it on a real system :s [/joke]
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Quote:
Final time: 1:42

Ok I'm DEFINITELY going to need to dust off my copy and look at this skip, I mean this is exactly as long as Arkham City's unskippable cutscene with Joker near the start and less than a quarter of the length of the opening scene of Asylum. Great job, Adam!
Totally rad
Many thanks for the verifications, guys! Happy to see it got accepted. Smiley

Quote:
For whatever reason, you can pretty much skip to the end of the game...in the first level. I've seen this enough times to know that it's legit.

I still have no clue why this works. I love the fact that the skip happens halfway through the first stage and not even at the end.

Quote:
Grappling in this game is ass, especially if you want to go directly up.

Grappling is pretty simple, to be honest. The main issue is to grapple at the last second, so that the line is as long as possible and you get the biggest speed boost.

Quote:
It's pretty easy to cheese the last boss.

But the bossfight is the part that made me restart at least 60% of my runs. The third phase might seem trivial, but timing the rope attacks correctly is trickier than it looks.

Quote:
The sound quality of the recording is actually accurate, even though it makes my ears bleed.

Yuzo Koshiro's music is making your ears bleed?

Quote:
There is no reason that i can see to no accept this, other than it's a SMS game. GJ Adam

The SMS part makes it 100% better.

Quote:
My young mind was blown when I was finally told about the skip to the last level in this game.

It still baffles me that the skip is even better on Hard than on Normal. On Normal one would only end up in 5-2 instead, which is still a huge skip, but makes the speed run a whole lot more difficult (since 5-2 is RNG hell and 5-3 has a load of enemies on the way and some sprite limit abusing).

Quote:
Normally this is a game that requires a lot of presicion platforming and mastery of the use of the very precise grappling hook. This route and run makes the game look so empty and easy it's almost sad,

For what it's worth, I'd love to do an all-exits run of this game as well. I routed most of the game before I found the skip, so another speed run of this game may be showing up early next year.

Quote:
but the runner's comments state that it took about 600 attempts to get this time. That's a testament to how unforgiving this game really is.

Funnily enough, my reset rate for the first level would've been a whole lot higher on Normal than on Hard, because that stage had a way more complicated route with a lot more enemy encounters. First stage on Normal looks way more interesting than on Hard, but it's unfortunately a lot slower. The vast majority of my resets happened during the final bossfight, as getting even a bit bad RNG on the second phase would force me to reset.
Clear as a crisp spring morning!
Congrats on the run mate. Looking forward to seeing an eventual skipless run.

If only I still had an SMS myself...
Is PJ
I was really hoping this was on SNES, but then I saw AdamAK.  Congrats, anyways!  Tongue
Waiting hurts my soul...
Can we start getting the system of the run in this thread? I see in the comments this time it mentions SMS, but it'd be good to have it right at the top. Thanks Flip.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Wait, you mean Batman Returns is also on other systems?  They probably don't count anyhow Tongue
Not a walrus
Game variants don't get labeled with the system unless there's another one with the same name in the database, otherwise >95% of the variant labels would be unnecessarily verbose.

So guess what the right way to fix that is. Cheesy
Quote:
Audio/Video as good as you might expect from an over 25 year old coaxial-only output system.
No cheating evident.

With some composite cables the output is excellent really!
Clear as a crisp spring morning!
Quote from bangerra:
Quote:
No cheating evident.

With some composite cables the output is excellent really!

There are SMSes with composite out? I've never seen one.
No it still uses the same output port thingy, but I got some cables with a yellow and white out at the end. Using that cable vastly improves video quality though.
Haters gonna hate
Quote from PJ:
I was really hoping this was on SNES, but then I saw AdamAK.  Congrats, anyways!  Tongue
HELLO!
The SMS I have has two outputs.  The 'S Video' port whose cable has composite video on the on the other end, and an RF output.

Should be the same quality level as the NES.
Balls jerky
only the SMS model 2 is RF only. Same as the NES top loader. The model 1 SMS uses the same A/V out cable as the model 1 Genesis.

In other news, AdamAK is a cool kid.
Totally rad
I'm liking the SMS cable discussion here, but I recorded this run on a Genesis 2, via a Master System Converter 2. Was the only way to play it at 60Hz for me (because I haven't been able to get a cheap NTSC SMS yet) :V

Quote from dballin:
In other news, AdamAK is a cool kid.

I love you too, dballin <3

@PJ and Mecha: Help me get a SNES and I'd be more than happy to do a run of that version as well.
Feudal Family Lord
I make no apologies for insulting the game, but it was still a good run
Balls jerky
SMS love for everyone!