--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2015-02-25 05:15:07 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
Yeah in order to go OOB you need to be running at 30fps for collision reasons. The distance you get zipped doesn't seem to change with framerates but your ability to pass through objects is near impossible once you go over 30. Honestly playing at 30 isn't that bad for me, although I can't guarantee how bad controller players will have it.
Arkham speed runner.
My retail dvd copy installed without any updates has the zip so if anyone is after the right pc version it looks like ebay has the disc copy for a few quid, rather cheap.

I can't confirm if the GFWL Game of the Year version has the glitch so try to avoid that version, it most likely comes with the first update the game recieved to add physx stuff and other fixes.

If you find the game installed doesn't launch due to xlive.dll errors just install the GFWL framework for windows and it will be fine, you don't need to make a live account to play but you need a silver account at least to save progress, not really important for any% runs.
Glitch advocate
Some crazy new techniques. The possibilities are nearly limitless...

Edit history:
Diablohead: 2015-03-01 04:34:46 pm
Arkham speed runner.
Did quite a bit of testing today.

Doctors skip is 'possible' with the patched version of the game but you need to setup a stored zip, move to the right place and then use it, however you end up with the bad zip which is just inches away from going out of bounds, i'm sure we can work that one out soon.

Using a stored zip in many locations doesn't give any interesting results, it's a great tool to have but with how the game is designed early access to intensive treatment is useless as nothing important has spawned until you get the line launcher from the gardens.

I also tried carrying the glitch into different cut scenes, nothing good, you can carry it into joker's penatentary area but can't spray gel since you are stuck in first person.

Going OOB to try and get to the batcave early isn't going to work, there's no landing area to enter a door and the game has not loading anything impotant up until you use a door, so it's a dead end. We can still skip it by passing ivy's vines but it's impossible currently.

As of right now version 1.0 and console are still the fastest to speedrun for any%
The Dork Knight himself.
Ok, so apparently the LL stores it's last attach coordinates. To do this, just do a normal line launch (ending early or going all the way doesn't change anything). The next time you want to do a LL, press aim followed immediately by fire in rapid succession. The key is to get the launch to start before the crosshair gets drawn. I'm not sure if this has any application, but there might be a place to use it to get just a little more height.

Attachment:
Glitch advocate
Huh, interesting.

I also noticed you can do a strange sort of "vent storage" by doing the Gel motions while exiting a vent. This causes Batman to enter the glitched walking mode as in every other storage. Switching to batarang causes him to quickly sheathe a batarang, but nothing else as far I know.
Edit history:
Diablohead: 2015-03-03 05:47:48 pm
Diablohead: 2015-03-03 05:47:32 pm
Diablohead: 2015-03-03 03:23:38 pm
Arkham speed runner.
Setup for Dr. Skip using storage (works on patched asylum) Only tested at 30 fps for now.

You need to setup the storage on this exact pillar, the cover direction is important so use this one.

Reset the zip direction by throwing a punch and then walk and stand in this location, the original zip is from this corner if you are not sure of location.

Face towards the corner (like the image above) and pull out the batarang, quick throw one. The reason we kept failing this is because setting up facing another way was enough to effect the outcome.

You should see this after the zip.

Note: you need to zip and glide around to the open vent before you KO all the thugs due to the way the game loads the bottom floor once the first set of doctors are safe.
Edit history:
AKheon: 2015-03-04 10:54:02 am
AKheon: 2015-03-04 07:12:31 am
AKheon: 2015-03-04 07:12:24 am
Glitch advocate
Some very interesting news. First of all - you can now take a cover or a gargoyle with you and keep it WITHOUT having to stay in that slow walking pose all the time. Just start the glitch, start running, do whatever that would normally end the glitch (except never switch to batarang). Then, when you need to use the storage, start aiming, then switch to batarang. Then the glitch begins like normal. In other words, it's now almost effortless to take and keep a corner cover zip with you, and you can also take it to places that weren't possible before.

Another interesting thing is that you can interrupt or mess up any animation during which you can switch gear using the above method. For instance, hanging from ledges. Hang from a ledge, then hold aim and switch to batarang. The storage activates while Batman is hanging, making him enter a wrong animation. Melee attacks can also be glitched up, as well as gargoyle hanging, etc. The possibilities are many. Too bad you can't glitch up gear animations since most of them are locked so that you can't switch gear during them.

One possibly useful thing is that we can now do cover zips directly on top of gargoyles for some extra height.

EDIT: a video detailing this stuff, and more. (decription is useful to browse through.)

Arkham speed runner.
Carrying around a zip sounds cool but i'm not finding too many spots where it's useful.. yet.

I tested out some zips to try and pass the wall at the top of the catacombs to stop you heading to the batcave early but no luck, you can get the player camera past that wall but not batman himself.

We still need to find a way past ivy's vines after you leave the gardens for the first time, probably the last super big time saver I know will work if we can manage it.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Question:  When you're outside, has anyone found a way to load other outdoor areas without going through the doors?  Could be good for minor time savers (we've already seen a couple of good possibilities such as zipping from outside the mansion to the connecting door by botanical gardens).

Also during Dr. Skip, has anyone been able to set up a gel so that once you get to the bottom of the elevator shaft, you can det it and complete the room?  If so, does that instantly load the floor and/or the scarecrow cutscene?  I've not got to that area yet in my testing so not sure if it's possible or how much time it would save considering the setup required.
Edit history:
Diablohead: 2015-03-05 06:09:30 am
Arkham speed runner.
The fastest way to do the skip is to KO all the thugs first, zip OOB and bee-line it to the vent before loading kicks in, i'm pretty sure it takes a few seconds for the game to ready everything and it doesn't start loading until you get close enough, but you need to aim down with your glide as steep as possible to make it. You don't need to be in the vent but in the area where the loading zone trigger is.

Doing that saves you the trip back in bounds to break open the vent which would be another 20 seconds, maybe 30 more saved.

As for outdoor loading I have tried to glide over the rocks when getting huge height but it warps you back in bounds in a lot of areas, if you wonder too far from a loaded zone you can soft lock the save file and find it impossible to get back.
Edit history:
AKheon: 2015-03-06 12:16:02 pm
Glitch advocate
Some more miscellaneous storage finds:

The most important things are that all in all there are three different types of storage: cover storage, gargoyle storage and standing batarang aim storage. All but cover storage can now be done without Explosive Gel (at the very least you need multi-batarang to do it). You can interrupt damage reaction animations of Batman using storage. Sometimes it's possible to fall through pit triggers by climbing and then activating storage.
Edit history:
Diablohead: 2015-03-09 12:25:13 pm
Arkham speed runner.
So, cojosao has found the perfect (and rather simple to use) zip spot to skip the vine at the top of the catacombs instead of heading to intensive treatment 2, this means scarecrow 3 skip and a potential ~10 minutes or so saved, second biggest skip now after the dreaded bell.

I can explain how this works, the top of the vine blocking the path has gaps around it and the top left segment has a rather big gap, line launching and rolling doesn't squeeze batman through it but the zip thankfully does. However I found that the corner cojosao uses in the video does not work for me and I had to use the corner right next to the vines, why? no damn idea probably a dumb engine thing.

Time to update that wiki and youtube guides!
Arkham speedrunner
So last night I was doing a 100% run when I discovered that duplicated trophies/items DOES count for the final riddle count (imagine my surprise when Riddler was captured before I had even collected anything in the Penitentiary and Mansion :P).  As a result of this, I'm going to stop using the dupe glitch in 100% runs and I would say that anyone else who wants to do it in the future should probably do the same.
The Dork Knight himself.
Using Feano's garbage skip as a base, I modified it for more reliability. It requires using LL storage to get high enough to climb OOB. The catch is you can't run with a framerate higher than 35. Apparently Batman gets pushed slightly forward at lower frame rates. Anything higher than 35 and you'll just fall off the map.

Attachment:
Edit history:
Feanorus: 2015-04-18 03:26:32 pm
Feanorus: 2015-03-13 07:38:27 am
Feanorus: 2015-03-13 12:26:45 am
Here is the garbage skip at 62 fps, quite consistent actually. Bump yourself into that small obstacle between the bucket and bricks, then take a small step to the left and do the thing.
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
If you can store corner cover throughout the Bane fight (not particularly easy or beneficial since you can easily store one afterwards, but the one before doesn't cost any time), then you can save a few seconds in the Batcave and perform an interesting visual glitch on the Batcomputer.  The first part of this video is to show you can zip during the Bane fight and what it looks like (although you can beat him with multi-rangs if you want to store a corner cover throughout), but the second part is probably more relevant to running.  I screwed it up slightly here by overshooting but you can zip directly into the cutscene with ease Smiley

Worked out some strats for the fights in the Penitentiary (Hard Mode).  Seem to be pretty consistent but in both vids I got pretty much maximum luck:

Also a couple of other minor timesavers I noticed:

I timed it and when going from Penitentiary to Gardens, it's marginally quicker to go through the tunnels (i.e. not through Arkham North), and that's true with or without zips.  On console, there's a zip that can take you from the tunnel entrance opposite the mansion to outside or near the Gardens entrance and it is possible to get from the Penitentiary to the entrance to the Arkham East tunnels with a zip but it's really inconsistent (it might be different at 62fps though)

Secondly, you know how you can extend Batman's jumps by manipulating the camera?  You can get the same extention by walking just before you jump.  Basically it lets Batman walk slightly further to the edge of a platform than he would run.  It's easiest to do this after the first catacomb climb (after getting the batclaw), when you explode the wall, if you walk a step forward before running, you clear the gap every time and don't have to watch Batman do a climb animation.
Edit history:
Feanorus: 2015-06-11 04:10:31 pm
While messing around with Croc's lair i managed to zip inside without triggering the cutscene and therefore without losing storage. You can try to use it to your advantage, however Croc didn't quite liked a human zipping in his territory. On the way back you will have to place the explosive trap and detonate it manually. I couldn't do in time if i used autodetonation upgrade. Question is, can zips save more time that the upgrade?
EDIT: you can detonate it in time, although you must be very quick. Time saved!
Also, hilarity ensues.

Coming up next: Scarecrow skip!
Can't call it a real Nightmare 1 skip because it isn't: you still see dead parents, dead gordon, and you lose glowing eyes =(
However, Scarecrow is now completely humilated, all that left of him is just glimpses of his shadow and 1/3rd chance to see his hand after credits. While i'm at it i also show a fight skip (the door isn't locked if you don't get engaged in the fight) and a minor zip in next area.

Recorded a bunch of small zips that work relatively consistent on 62 fps. More to come, after i practice the rest of the game enough.