Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617 -> <- 1 .. 12 .. 17 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
The Dork Knight himself.
I was afraid of this. It seems that certain mission updates actually make radical changes to the maps and make certain items/entities react differently than they would at the beginning of the game. I'm betting if you loaded up the maps in UnrealED and checked the sequencer panels you'd see a flag set in them that causes them to be active (something like GetSequencer=1 etc etc).
Arkham speed runner.
A lot of doors are hidden OOB too, you can see them if you get into IT early, those doors probably swap around depending on chapter.
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2013-12-28 04:40:11 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
Hmmm, well maybe each door leads to a different version of the map in question? Is there any way you can see with the dev options what map you're currently on? If that's the case then maybe certain similar rooms will have different names (much like how the last area in Amnesia Dark Descent is different). The trick then would be to try and get OOB to those doors and activate them.
Edit history:
Diablohead: 2013-12-29 05:48:56 am
Diablohead: 2013-12-28 06:33:09 pm
Diablohead: 2013-12-28 05:44:19 pm
Arkham speed runner.
Every door I have tried to float towards has no solid ground unless it's part of the stage, which then does a city style glitch of loading the room you just left instead of entered.

I want to figure out what stage of the game can activate scarecrow 3 which IMO is after ivy, when you get the line launcher and go there anyway. The only good tricks here would be to maybe avoid scarecrow 3 and heading to croc OOB.

*edit* as I understand more about debug options ( found here: http://www.gamewinners.com/Cheats/index.php/Batman:_Arkham_Asylum_(PC) ) it seems that:

Chapter 1 - Spawns you at the start with the walk.
Chapter 2 - begins when you reach outside and the batmobile is under attack
Chapter 3 - begins when you get outside after the bane fight and head to the batcave.

*edit2* finally got past harley quinn and before heading to the gardens, went into IT, it's the same unloaded map as before so that tells us that you have to do gardens no matter what, good to know I can get that idea off my chest finally.
Arkham Speedrunner
Nice finds diab.  Good to know that it seems the bell skip will be the only annoying trick in the run Cheesy
The Dork Knight himself.
Another race, another PB. Maybe if I played this game during the week instead of just on sundays I could take Ollie's time Smiley
Arkham speed runner.
Very close to the WR in the race jay, good stuff.

Next week i'm going to try running the mac version, see if it's on par with PC.
Arkham speed runner.
Not exactly speed run related but I was able to spawn in the intensive treatment lobby area you only see in the 2nd part of the intro video, usually in-game the door is locked all the time.

http://i.imgur.com/xjNIzfW.png

Nothing interesting outside of the area being fully modeled and detailed, maybe it was going to be used at one point but then they just kept it locked off.
The Dork Knight himself.
Whaddya know, he has a bit part in another game!!!

Attachment:
Is there a wiki for running this game or should I just go back through the 12 pages if I want to try to learn it?
The Dork Knight himself.
The wiki is heavily out of date. I'd suggest checking out a current run of the game to see what goes on. I'd suggest checking out my own run in 1h47m or Ollie's run in 1h46m
The Dork Knight himself.
Since Robo wanted to know what I meant, here's a good example early on in the game for the climbing skip I mentioned in the last race. The way it works is the animation system tries to keep Batman moving at all times. By spinning the camera to a 45 degree angle (there are other ways to do it, but this is the most reliable) you can get Batman to step on thin air just over the edge of a platform. Rather than having Batman jump mid-animation, the game instead just starts the jump when Batman's foot is supposed to be on solid ground, which allows you to do a slightly longer jump and skip the climbing animation. This can be used EVERYWHERE in the game where Batman has to climb up after a jump. It's not 100% reliable, but it's reliable enough to keep doing just to save a few seconds here and there.
The Dork Knight himself.
It's on!!! Time to update the KB entry for Arkham Asylum. So far I've started the tricks section, and I'm hoping to get the fight strats section done next. Hopefully Robo can help me during the marathon to get things really rolling.
Edit history:
OllieJS100: 2014-01-03 04:23:51 am
OllieJS100: 2014-01-03 04:23:38 am
Arkham Speedrunner
Quote from novat0:
Is there a wiki for running this game or should I just go back through the 12 pages if I want to try to learn it?

I would also reccomend watching darth knights run on SDA as the execution in that run is godlike, I dunno about Jays run but my run has lots of execution mistakes in it atm Smiley
Arkham speed runner.
Yeah that would be the best thing to do, watch an up to date speed run to learn what can be skipped (visiting cash after ivy, bell skip) and then just become a god at fighting thugs and learning quick ways to clear predator rooms.
Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I'll be watching one or both of those runs.
Arkham Speedrunner
Quote from novat0:
Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I'll be watching one or both of those runs.

Have fun learning the game. Hopefully you can join us in the sunday weekly race sometime
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2014-01-05 01:20:08 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
Smashed my PB by two mins and finally took ollie's time. New best is 1:45:16. I took a picture with my phone, hopefully it comes out properly. If not robo is my witness. This also confirms my suspicions that the time can get under 1:45 since it was not perfect. Getting spotted in nm1 right at the end cost me about 30 seconds.

Attachment:
Edit history:
OllieJS100: 2014-01-05 01:38:46 pm
Arkham Speedrunner
No VOD. FAKE RUN. My PB still stands Kappa

Also robo cannot be trusted
Arkham speed runner.
AGDQ scam!

jokes, impressive time! guessing this was on PC correct?
Edit history:
OllieJS100: 2014-01-05 01:57:09 pm
Arkham Speedrunner
That stopwatch looked modded
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
How dare you, my stopwatch comes from Argos and is the highest quality that £7.99 of money can buy.  More reliable than a sundial with nearly as much battery!
Edit history:
RoboSparkle: 2014-01-12 01:17:24 pm
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
So those of you doubting HonorableJay's credentials should totally be watching the bonus stream at about 8pm EST (so in just under 5 hours) where we will be racing Asylum on Hard Mode with donation incentives for Environmental Thug Takedowns and Party Pooper. Hope to see you in chat!
Arkham speed runner.
I watched the first hour or so of the race then fell asleep so missed the end, who won?

Also it was impressive to see how fast vents are when the game is running at 120fps, it was like fast forward! damn you good pc owners!
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
I won with a 2:01:xx and 10 deaths.  Jay had a 2:05:xx with 7 deaths iirc.  It's ridiculous how much time is saved by running on PC with Early Bell (even though it took me 4 remote rangs...)