Smiley
Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617 -> <- 1 .. 6 .. 17 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Nice find on dragging all those guys down at once for that opening fight. Good segment
The Dork Knight himself.
Ok, made some more progress, but I've hit a small judgement problem.

Currently I've gotten up to segment 9 finished, but I'm not so sure that I really want to keep segments 8 and 9, so I'll let you guys decide. Segments 6 and 7 are definite keepers even though they're not 100% perfect simply because of the tricks I was able to nail in each and the slight hiccups aren't that much to worry about anyway.

Segment 6
Segments 7, 8, and 9

So should I redo 8 and 9 or just redo 9?
I want off the ride....
i didn't really notice what the problem was with 8... but with 9 it seems like the long 'library' fight was kinda bad. between the way it went and also the unforunate mis swing later.

i'd redo 9.. but i dont see the problem with 8.
I can kinda see the deal with eight.  The first fight went well, though I'm not sure how you dealt with the first thug was optimal.  Somewhere along the line, I had the idea of skipping him while making sure he noticed me, that way he'd give chase and end up as part of the first fight instead of his own event.  It worked sometimes, enough for a segmented run at least.  Also, while the time cost was irrelevant, the miss at the very end made it look like you didn't know when the fight was going to end, which made me groan, but few others would ever care about that.  I didn't see the finish too closely, it may have been one of those double hits I always hated in challenges because they threw me off to the point of failure pretty often. :\

The second fight was well mistimed up to the end and you broke the first combo three hits in, rendering the jump attack at the start nearly moot.  You also didn't jump kick the guard tower thug on the way to the mansion (is this not faster?) and... well maybe a ground takedown on one of the twin snipers is unavoidable, I forget.

As for segment 9:

- You can stand on the statue's head.  Since that's at the beginning of the segment, I'm not sure why it wasn't included (frustratingly difficult?).
- You let a second pass before jumping off the second gargoyle in the main hall.  I don't remember Bats being that sluggish, so why the hesitation?
- Ledge takedown could have been better.  I'd think a mouse would be more accurate there, maybe not.
- Interesting way of completing the records room... I don't really like the ground takedowns, but it's nothing worth crying over.
- The first fight in Young's office... huh.  Yeah, I'd curse over that.
- I'm surprised the ground takedowns are faster than crits.  They sure don't seem like it. o_O

Since you seem to prefer the Ground TD as a main weapon... I'm not sure I can comment on this, aside from yeah, segment 9 needs a redo.  I'm not sure my analysis of 8 is valid.
The Dork Knight himself.
Trust me, I agree on all of your points, that's why I didn't really want to keep 8.

I'm gonna try a jump-kick takedown for Mr. Cell, and hopefully won't get another surprise double-hit at the end of the fight (yes that's what happened in the video, I caught 2 guys at once and didn't realize it).  For the thug on the tower I'm pretty sure there isn't enough space to get a proper jump-kick takedown. What's happened in the past is I'll do a standard jump-kick and knock him down, then have to ground pound him. For some reason the game doesn't let you just 1-hit guys in spaces like that, apparently they have enough time to notice you and spoil the attack (same thing happened the first time though Intensive Treatment, 2nd thug can't be 1-hit KO'd).

For Seg 9:

- I plan on landing on the statues head, I just missed it this time around.
- The second that passed on the gargoyle was slight input lag. I pressed space to glide right as I landed, about 3-ish frames too soon and he just sat there doing nothing. I'm not sure how the controls behave on the consoles, but the pc version has some weird "isms" at times where you'll press a key and it either won't register or not do what you expect (like trying to cape-glide and suddenly dropping like a stone).
- The ledge takedown is the preferred method, but the problem doesn't stem from my mouse, it's the way the game targets. If I could manually aim where to grapple there'd be no issue, but the game chooses where you're targetting based on your character position and camera position. So slowly moving the camera along a ledge can have the "aim" jump slightly or shoot to someplace not intended at all. I'm working to clean that up but it's not easy when the clock's ticking.
- Alerting all of the guards and using the grapple/pound method is the most reliable method I've come up with. I don't have to hunt anybody, they all go down in 1 hit, and for the most part behave. The only thing I can think of differently would be to just grapple the first guy off the ledge instead of the takedown then finish the fight right next to Cash.
Edit history:
Carcinogen: 2011-08-02 11:48:55 pm
Carcinogen: 2011-08-02 11:48:18 pm
Carcinogen: 2011-08-02 11:43:25 pm
Carcinogen: 2011-08-02 11:41:12 pm
I'll just leave this over here. =]

This is Hard Mode, X360 version. I bet you dollars to donuts it will work on PC, too. Best part of all is, there's a checkpoint right before it.

See if Explosive Gel will work here, too!
Attachment:
The Dork Knight himself.
For a hard run it might be viable, but for Easy I'm just gonna bum rush those guys and take em out before they can blink. Funny how they just blindly walk through the door just askin to get hit Smiley
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2011-10-09 09:26:33 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
Another quickie update: screwed up my save files and copied over the wrong one, so now I have to back-track and redo the Bane fight again. It wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that getting Bane to do 3 instant rushes is near impossible. Hopefully I'll be able to get him to do it after only 30-ish retries (which would be really good luck).

***EDIT***
Ok, finally got Bane to do 3 quick charges, which is a good thing. The bad is that the fight is overall about 2-3 seconds slower than my older one but I have to accept this. For those interested, every time Bane decides to taunt instead of just charge it wastes 5 seconds.
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2011-10-14 09:43:57 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
It always amazes me just how little optimizing the walking around part of this game really matters. I'm still working on segment 8 (right after the Bane fight) and the little tricks are still holding me up. If I was going by just the fights I would've moved on, but I'm trying to get the movement part optimized. However after going over my last "almost a keeper" segment I might just give up and worry more about the fights. I had a segment that had a really good sewer fight (right after getting the batclaw). With really lucky enemy positioning I was able to do 1 sweep kick and knock out 3 out of the 6 enemies and was about 6 seconds ahead of my current best time. Too bad the enemy positions screwed me over for the last major fight of the segment (which cost me all of the extra time gained and then some). Meanwhile the difference between my best time and my second to last best time is about 1 second due to getting the "skip ledge grab" trick in the sewer area.
The Dork Knight himself.
For those interested I'm still working on this, and I believe I've found a semi-useful trick. Whenever you have to open a door that says "Secure Area" there's actually 2 ways to determine if the area is secure: all enemies knocked out or all enemies stunned. From what I know, the ways you can stun enemies are using the explosive gel, batclaw takedown, and a surprise batarang (upgraded stun times are more reliable). Basically for any area with only a few enemies you can simply stun them then move on without having to go through the entire fight (in theory, not confirmed everywhere) which explains why the fight after Nightmare 1 lets me skip the last enemy. So far I'm testing it outside Dr. Young's office. I can safely knock down the 3 thugs, immediately go into her office, then finish the next fight and move on without knocking out every enemy (the initial 3 coming out of the vent don't disappear, they just add to the next fight). The area I really want to use it in is just outside of "rescuing" Dr. Young from Zsasz but I haven't been able to get a good gel det on every enemy there. I'm also going to test the batarang stun upgrade to see if that helps.
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2012-01-29 04:39:39 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
So progress is finally being made, hooray!!
Segments 7 through 10

Funny enough, 10 is a test run through the section but since it turned out so well I may have to keep it unless I get lucky. Anybody got ideas on some corners to cut in it? Oh, before I forget, sorry about the darkness in the video. I tried to correct it but didn't boost the brightness enough. The final edits will be better.
The Dork Knight himself.
And the good news keeps on comin. I kept pluggin away at Segment 10, and through a strange glitch I was able to save 3.35 seconds. I'll wait until later before I show it off since it has very limited uses.
Good to see you back at it. Keep it up.
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2012-02-04 10:24:29 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
Another update: working on Nightmare 2 now. It's gonna be a bitch to do though due to the checkpoints throughout. I'll have vids of the progress up later tonight or tomorrow.

**EDIT**
Segment 10 (redone) to 13
Segment 10 is about as close to perfection as I'll be able to get due to the library fight. Even though I missed 1 batclaw the segment was still faster by almost 3 and a half seconds since I engaged the mooks as early as possible.

Segment 11 has 1 glaring flaw in it, but was more than made up for with the clean fights (the big one getting a double KO). I'm blaming the bad zip to the oh-so-lovely aiming/camera systems.

Yes, I made a segment devoted to the long walk.................AND I was able to fit 1 trick into it Tongue

Segment 13 is Nightmare 2............and I'm seriously pissed off at it. I won't go over the details, but watch and you'll see. Doubtful I'll even be able to beat the time.
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2012-02-07 01:36:39 am
The Dork Knight himself.
Jumping forward a bit, I came up with a really funny fight strat for the Harley Quinn Arena fight (with the 3 electrified floors). In each mini arena there are gaps in the fence that Batman can't fall through.........but the mooks sure can. So just stand in front of one, and when someone comes in range just batclaw the guy and he'll get pulled right off the edge. So long as the crowd streams in 1 at a time you can finish the fight just shy of 2 mins (possibly lower, guesstimating the time). I'm using a similar strat for the cave Titan fight, only for that one I'll be using the ultra-batclaw to pull the mooks 3 at a time to the electrified gates.

**EDIT**
Fight v Claw
Fighting may be a bit faster right now, but the claw method might be faster if I practice more. So long as I can get good positioning most of the mooks go right over the edge.
aka theenglishman
I was just wondering whatever happened to this run.  I hope honourableJay manages to finish it!
The Dork Knight himself.
Digging this one back outta the grave. Started practicing for the next marathon, and so far I'm making some decent progress. Unofficial time for last night's practice run is 2:07:02 which isn't too bad considering I got some major marathon luck. I'm still working on the segmented run, but I'm gonna put more time into getting a good SS run so I'll be nice an ready for the marathon.
aka theenglishman
Great to hear you're working on this again, honourableJay!
This might sound crazy but I recently pulled off a sub 2 hour run for this game on easy - 1:57:09. I surprisingly don’t really have that much new stuff to offer from everything I’ve read/watched on this thread and the official run. I kinda just threw finesse out the door and tried to be as absurdly rushed as possible. I listed some notable changes below using Master ZED’s official run as reference with the times when necessary. Just to show I’m not a big troll. I’ll probably upload the run to youtube at some point too.

As far as general strategies go I think it's faster to not concentrate on getting critical strikes during combat, but just on going fast enough to not counter as I felt that was the slowest move. And the enemy hp is so low on easy that getting all crits isn't really necessary. Hilariously enough critical strikes was my first upgrade. My upgrade flow was critical strikes -> double batarangs -> triple batarangs -> sequencer range/power upgrades. Because I only need 5 ugrades I also skip A LOT of experience. Even if it's a millisecond out of Batman's way I generally don't get it.

12:53 - With the first Titan fight I just straight up try to get hit as much as possible, as quickly as possible. The end of this fight is triggered with a timer or by if the next hit on Batman would kill him. I’m pretty sure this saves me some time.

Bane Fight - I’m not sure if this is a PC vs. console issue, but I am able to consistently get Bane to charge 3 times in a row without interruption. Each round I throw the batarang at him just before he reaches me, get flattened, get up and punch him, roll so as to jump over his slam wave, then I run to maybe 20 in-game feet from him in his line of sight right as he’s getting up and he always charges me. I’m on a streak of maybe 4 times in a row now.

60:06 - You can actually throw a batarang at zsasz’s right elbow to knock him out. This is visible at all times. It makes this part of the game consistently quick and easy. I have missed once and hit the girl though..

62:41 - You can skip this fight. You just have to make sure to grapple to the platform above them and glide all the way to the wall above the door.

73:03 - I don’t take out any crazies here. I just roll about the whole way until I get to Arkham North. They are unable to grab you while you’re rolling.

79:05 - You can actually take out as many thugs here as you want until the guy at the top is notified through the heart monitors. I take out the 2nd closest guy to the control panel, then I take the top guy out.

97:16 - Assuming you have the sequencer range upgrade, you can skip taking out those 3 guys

Killer Croc’s Lair - I’m really curious what zed meant by “manipulating” croc’s spawn points. Maybe he can clarify. What I do that saves time is to line launch over water and at the edge of the planks as much as I can as to keep Croc from spawning at all. Besides the 2 auto spawns during the third spore, I doubt Croc spawns even 5 times for me in my run.

Poison Ivy Fight - I do not attack the security guards at all during the 2nd round. When they strike I either take the hit, roll away, or counter if I’m low on health.

And that’s it. Don’t do anything special at the end. Actually, zed’s joker fight at the end of his 2:07 run is damn near perfect. I’m not sure I’ve ever beaten his time on that part.

It’s pretty funny but when I watched Master ZED’s run on sda initially, I was absolutely amazed at the fact that he freaking adjusted the camera as he ran. Like everywhere. Am I the only one impressed with that? I use it when necessary, and it took months before I got good at even that. I’m actually really surprised no one mentioned this before. He might as well have been playing with a mouse. Maybe that’s just a general skill of speedrunning on the console that I’m not aware of.
So funny thing I just came across, the tactic I use in the first Titan fight will not work on xbox, and I assume pc also. Some guy at my work randomly had an xbox with Batman Arkham Asylum and I was actually able to die at that part. This is probably a 15-20 second advantage for ps3 users since they don't have to wait for the timer to trigger during that fight. Makes me wonder if there is anything else different, and also why this bug would only happen on ps3. I actually thought it was intentional until playing on xbox last week.
The Dork Knight himself.
Darth: I can confirm your strat against the very first (and very deformed) Titan can be performed on the PC. In fact I've tweaked it to make the strat faster. If you can stand in front of the left electrified gate and have the Titan punch you into it the fight is another 5-ish seconds faster. You can still be killed though, so it's never 100% but my consistency is pretty high with it.

As for the Aviary section, I've come up with a quicker way to take out the goons. This can be done every time with no issues as long as you catch the lower 2 goons before they start moving.
Jay: That's a nice strat for the aviary. Definitely saves time. Same thing with standing in front of the electrified fence against the first titan. Although I'm not really sure why that works. Honestly I don't know what the hell I was talking about in my last post. You can take advantage of that on any platform. I think maybe I got confused because I hadn't played on hard that much and while you can still cause the titan to die early by taking hits, it is possible to get unlucky and actually die on that difficutly. So false alarm, all platforms seem to be the same.

Also, I haven't played for a couple months, but I had been working on a hard single segment for this game. The route I used was pretty risky so I never speed ran the game on hard without dying at least once. My best was 2:12 with one death. Its funny my goal was actually to beat zed's easy record that's still up, and I SWEAR its possible, but definitely unrealistic over a 2 hour period. Pretty soon I'll gather the motivation to go at this again, submitting probably the first run I can do without dying, and hopefully below 2:10. Just thought I'd give an update.
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2013-04-03 10:56:45 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
2:12 on hard??? Now that's a shock. How much different are the boss fights anyway? I know Bane has to hit the wall more often, and I know that Scarecrow spins faster, but what about the others?

I've also come up with a really funny fight strat for the Cave Titan fight. I'm not sure just how much time it saves or if it saves any time at all, but basically I just stand in front of a gate, wait for the goons to get close, then batclaw them towards it and flip over them. If they don't immediately touch the gate a cape stun will finish them off. This also puts you in good position to bait the Titan into the gate without having to batarang him.
The boss fight strategies from easy to hard don't change too much. Like with Bane I pretty much do the same thing, but it just ends up taking longer. I try to take advantage of throwing batarangs while he's standing still to do damage, but it just does so little damage. Poision Ivy was exactly the same. Killer Croc was pretty crazy because he spawns so much more on hard, but once you get familiar with his spawn points it's not bad at all. You also get to skip that little cutscene before the 4th spore. With the titans I try to be almost as aggressive as I am on easy and I spam batarangs when they're not charging. I've also gotten pretty good at getting a few hits in at the end of their life by constantly punching and evading over them when they strike, kinda like with the Abramovici twins fight in arkham city. Also if my health drops too low I take a health upgrade as a medpac. I do this with ivy also. With the big combat parts, and any combat actually, I focus more on using the combo batarang and ground takedowns than criticals. Scarecrow was actually easier imo. His increased speed makes it much easier to find the max distance you can go each cycle, and you can move out in the open quicker after each time hiding. Although I'm sure the times are slower than easy, just less stressful.

That's funny you mention that strategy for the cave titan fight because that's exactly what I do. I literally run around the entire fight pulling thugs into the electric gates, and at the same time the titan always charges into the gates. And you bet you're ass its faster. I've never tried the cape stun if some don't get pulled all the way to the gate though. That might help a lot. I think master zed mentioned that strategy earlier in the forum, and I also got the idea from your segment in the harley fight where you pull thugs off the platforms. I do that too, and I'm pretty sure its faster than actually fighting them on hard. Nice segment btw. Don't think I ever would have thought of that.

Anyways I'm happy to hear you think 2:12 is fast. I didn't know what the hell to shoot for when I was really deep into planning. I hate not having previous runs to pace off of.
faster, yet just as inebriated
Hi, first time posting, even though i've been following both bats for some time. I'd like to request an official split of the record for the 360 version (maybe all of them). My friend and i have ripped our times down to consistent sub 2:15:00 times on easy, 2:23:00 ish on hard (SS of course) and use all tricks plus a couple not seen on here and have even played the record videos side to side with our 360s and simple fact is that the walk and load times are faster on pc/Ps3. I love to have a competition we can compete in. We are willing to post a pair of head to head runs in those times and have them compared side to side with records to illustrate the point