Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Flip: 2012-11-08 04:54:05 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BatmanNES.html

Batman (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Watched this live. Run's great. I can count the number of mistakes even worth mentioning on one hand. Run goes from 0:15 when batman stands up until 11:26 when the screen starts to fade, so the timing is good.

Only problem is that there's no audio track!

Just kidding. Accept.

Quote:
The real Batman doesn't kill people or robots.

REJECT.

Quote:
A/V Quality: Funktastic

Cheating: Nah, Funk that!

Overall impression:
Funktabulous!! The runner took a very good run of a notoriously difficult game and ripped it to shreds, which to me, is incredibly impressive. The runner excels in several important speedrunning areas (route planning, execution, decision making, strategies/innovation). The runner provided sufficient comments so I am just going to add a few thoughts on each area:

Gotham City:
Retooled a bunch of things to save bits of time over a short stage and was able to implement the quick kill on the boss. There are only a few tiny improvements left in this stage, one, a lag reduction strat the runner mentioned, and two, jump-punching the jetpack guys instead of boomeranging. I have no doubt the runner tested this out and it is pretty hard to do consistently (I have tried it). But I think it is non-random enough that it could be mastered and would have to be if someone was gunning for this run.

Axis Chemicals:
A few minor upgrades could be added to this area, but they are very execution heavy, to the point where it is likely a poor risk vs. reward proposition. Execution could be a bit tighter in a few spots throughout this area and the boss fight to shave a couple seconds, but overall still a strong performance.

Trollville:
Really aggressive and smart new strategies are used to save a bunch of time. Luck is required for these risky strats to pay off, and it was not bad at all. The new boss strat is also very nice although execution of it was not the greatest in this particular attempt. Runner has crushed that boss pretty hard at times, but even with the mistake hardly any time is lost.

Best music in the game:
When you improve a TAS strat it is pretty cool because TASes are by their very nature difficult to improve. When you improve a TAS strat AND pull it off in a real time speedrun, you are on a different funking level. Kudos to the runner for the imagination and execution seen in this area. Luck was on his side because 4-1 can be a make or break area with drops since you kill a ton of enemies in short succession. The boss fight could have gone better, but hey, you need luck for that and you can't be lucky all the time so...

Clocktower:
This stage all comes down to execution and a few RNG patterns during the final climb. Runner executes in clutch fashion in a brutally difficult final area. The boss fights are somewhat luck based, and good Firebug luck helped out. The Joker luck, not so much, but he still demolished him in impressive fashion.

Final thoughts:
The runner used masterful execution of his audacious strategies, and brilliant innovations to triumph over this NES classic. Improvements are few and far between as this runner, as he is known to do, pushed the game in question the limits and did not settle for good enough. Improving this run would take an insane amount of effort and some crazy hard optimizations. I doubt we see an improvement for this run any time soon folks, so enjoy it.

Verdict: Easy accept

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Josh 'funkdoc' Ballard!
Thread title:  
Is PJ
+1 Josh
Fucking Weeaboo
Looks like one of the verifiers had a funking good time.
Is this NES or SEGA? Game page is dead.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2012-11-08 01:02:17 pm
Not a walrus
NES.

Game Page is here: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BatmanNES.html
Sandbagging
Awesome stuff Funkdoc. Glad I got to see it live Smiley
HELLO!
Quote from UraniumAnchor:

Flip, you had one job.
1-Up!
Who knows. Fixed now. Thanks UA.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Freezard:

It's Funkdoc. I don't think he owns anything other than an NES and an SNES.
HELLO!
And a Famicom.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Quote from Sir VG:
Quote from Freezard:

What else do you need?
DS Dictator
Quote from DK28:
Quote from Sir VG:
Quote from Freezard:

What else do you need?

Holy Diver