Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 26 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Maybe, but I won't use a turbo controller. I think the only real option is to try a ASL run.. I'll just keep using the mouse Smiley
Edit history:
Kibblre: 2014-01-10 12:14:26 pm
I wonder how inputs are received on a controller, that is would it be considered like a switch (move if "on", stop if "off") or does it send repeated messages to move? If the latter, you could use software to also bind one of your thumbsticks to interact which could accomplish the same thing as the mouse wheel.

But, from what I understand with some of the pike vault skips you might not have enough momentum off the roll if you're using a controller. You'll have to test all this out.
Yes, I think so. Even the first gate skip is way more difficult to do (still pretty easy, but you can definitely feel the difference)
Ate the extra spicy banana
Quote from Kibblre:
I wonder how inputs are received on a controller, that is would it be considered like a switch (move if "on", stop if "off") or does it send repeated messages to move? If the latter, you could use software to also bind one of your thumbsticks to interact which could accomplish the same thing as the mouse wheel.

But, from what I understand with some of the pike vault skips you might not have enough momentum off the roll if you're using a controller. You'll have to test all this out.

The first and second to last pikevault skips in Prosper Bluff from what I can tell are flat out impossible unless your using Mouse Movement.

Also, at least for me, the hardest gateskip is the very first one Tongue
Well, gate skips are not so hard anyway.. Smiley
Anyway, I'm back playing with the mouse, but I'm not so fast with it yet Smiley
Quote from Kibblre:

From a programmer's point of view, a player moving a thumbstick looks much the same as a player moving a mouse. You get constant updates on how far off-center the thumbstick is.

A mouse wheel doesn't work like that; rather, it works like the mouse buttons. There are five clicks on a standard wheel mouse: left, right, mouse wheel turned down, mouse wheel turned up, mouse wheel pushed inwards towards the moue. As a result, it's common for programs to allow rebinding to mouse wheel directions (because they work like keys or buttons), but not to allow rebinding to thumbstick directions (because they work like mouse movement).

I believe the thumbsticks have hardcoded uses in Bastion anyway (left thumbstick to move, right thumbstick to manually shield/manually aim). I normally play Bastion with a controller (not for speedrunning), and it's frustrating because the dead zone is hardcoded and too small, so sometimes my character will start shielding for no good reason, slowing their movement to a crawl.
Why not make an 'all cores' category, or whatever the appropriate name would be?
there is already an all levels category that plays through the game without doing any core dupes.
Hey, i recently started running Bastion and was wondering how to submit records to the leaderboards
Basically you can either post the videos of your times here, or go in #bastion on SRL IRC (irc.speedrunslive.com) and let someone know in there. A couple people have write privileges to them, so someone should be able to take care of you.
i'll just post in here then. NG any% 16:03 http://www.twitch.tv/theodrassil/c/3604498
I added your run. Very solid run, I'm looking forward to seeing some solid sub-16 times. Smiley
ty Smiley i'll probably be going for some sub 16 attempts tonight so hopefully i can get another nice run
I finally ran into that lag you experienced Vulajin with -nofixedstep. The problem occurred when I was doing a practice run during the hour between classes on my laptop. This hasn't happened when I've had my laptop plugged in, but when I hadn't bothered hooking it up. Possibly a cause???
I can't imagine that's related to it, because it occurred on my desktop, which certainly doesn't have any issues about being plugged in or not. :p
Edit history:
2bitmarksman: 2014-02-02 02:22:15 pm
2bitmarksman: 2014-02-02 02:21:45 pm
2bitmarksman: 2014-02-02 02:21:35 pm
2bitmarksman: 2014-02-02 02:21:33 pm
Ahh ok. It never happened on my Desktop either, so just trying to figure out why it may have done that on my laptop. What video card do you use? My desktop is using an ATI 7850, but my laptop runs with an nvidia 660M.

Perhaps its something to do with OpenGL vs CUDA???
managed 15:48 in NG any% earlier Smiley http://www.twitch.tv/theodrassil/c/3667114
made a couple dumb mistakes sadly, but overall a pretty solid run
Very nice.
Your run was 5 seconds off WR pace through RL. That's very strong. Only two falls, and I really like the pike vaults you added in CC escape and WO escape.

You're making me want to run more of this category now... <_<
I'm diggin that WO vault. Though I'd also vault onto the flowers for the skyway in WO instead of rolling past.
I just realized I forgot to link my any% tutorial in here. This tutorial is intended for anyone interested in picking up either of the any% categories for this game (NG or NG+), and should cover all the basics you're going to need to know. Part 1 focuses on gameplay basics and NG any%. Part 2 focuses on NG+ any%, but also has some tidbits at the beginning that you'll want to review even if you're not going to run NG+.

Part 1: http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3696725
Part 2: http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3696790
So what's the decision on -nofixedstep? Does anyone know of a way of preventing those exceptionally long Pike Vaults in Prosper Bluff? Also does it have any affect apart from that that anyone can notice?

I ask because I turned it on and it pretty much instantly shaved a few seconds off my PB which makes me cautious about whether to call that an actual run or not.
I think the "consensus" is this game is weird and behaves oddly on the PC, so that some folks have to turn V-sync on/off, and other folks have to use nofixedstep, to get equivalent performance. My take on it is, do what you have to do to get the game playing normally and to get to the hammer in WD by ~13.5 seconds. If it takes you longer or shorter than that, you have to fiddle with stuff more. Otherwise, if you get the magical lag glitch that extends your pike vaults, well, it makes you slower anyway, so you aren't going to get a good time, so you might as well reset. :p
Hello, everyone. I'm unknown in this speedrunning community, but I felt the need to introduce myself. My name is sog, and it's nice to meet you all.
Hey Sog
If you need any help or advice don't hesitate to ask.
Good luck with your speedruns Grin