<- 1  -   of 26 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2013-12-23 01:00:13 pm
Interesting, I've literally never seen the game run below 60 fps except when I was streaming, FRAPSing, and watching my own stream all on my PC at the same time. I can see this being considered legitimate to an extent, since it is an official developer-provided setting, but I'm still curious why it caused the odd behavior for me that you don't seem to experience. Next time I run I'll double-check my framerate and see what it looks like.

(edit) However, I am curious to find out - 2bitmarksman, does turning off V-sync not address your issue? I know that Mazei mentioned he had odd slowdown issues before, and he fixed them by turning that off. He didn't mention nofixedstep, so presumably this addressed his issue.
Ate the extra spicy banana
Quote from Vulajin:
Interesting, I've literally never seen the game run below 60 fps except when I was streaming, FRAPSing, and watching my own stream all on my PC at the same time. I can see this being considered legitimate to an extent, since it is an official developer-provided setting, but I'm still curious why it caused the odd behavior for me that you don't seem to experience. Next time I run I'll double-check my framerate and see what it looks like.

(edit) However, I am curious to find out - 2bitmarksman, does turning off V-sync not address your issue? I know that Mazei mentioned he had odd slowdown issues before, and he fixed them by turning that off. He didn't mention nofixedstep, so presumably this addressed his issue.

It's Very sluggish for me. Here is a vid of me running the game without -nofixedstep : http://www.justin.tv/2bitmarksman/b/489710394

Settings of note (in the description as well)

Resolution: 1920x1080(native)
Fullscreen: ON
V-Sync: ON
Anti-aliasing: x4
Build: 0.12367 2/06/2013

My final time in it was 21:31. I was monitoring my FPS with Fraps counter, FPS ranged from 42-52, averaging at about 48.

I am about to start a run with the -nofixedstep option enabled, will post back when I have the vid.
Edit history:
Red_Buddha: 2013-12-23 01:53:25 pm
Red_Buddha: 2013-12-23 01:49:59 pm
Worked on my laptop quite a bit last night and this morning. Seems to be fine for now.

Also, http://www.twitch.tv/redbuddha/c/3438840

V U L A J I N  R E M O V E D

Also this probably doesn't mean much but I play with V-Sync, anti-aliasing, and Fullscreen off. I do use the -noborder option though.
Here is the game with -nofixedstep enabled: http://www.justin.tv/2bitmarksman/b/489717070

Time was 18:02. I start time once I hit the continue button and stop when hitting the restoration button. Shave off 18.2 seconds or so for an accurate time of when the kid finishes getting up to end.

I've tried previously playing the game by fiddling with the options but no combination seemed to work for me. I'd be intrigued to know what everyone else's settings are and see if there is a common factor in them.
YES

I'll go back to NG+ as soon as I think I can do it without harming my readiness for NG. So maybe after AGDQ.

2bit - your video of running without -nofixedstep looks a LOT like what I saw in the highlight I posted on the last page when I was running with -nofixedstep. However, your Pike Vaults didn't get magically extended. All in all, this is pretty weird business. For reference, my settings are V-Sync on, anti-aliasing on, fullscreen off, 13--x866 resolution (I forget the digits).
Very odd indeed. Perhaps it just effects certain systems or something, or has something to do with certain hardware features (such as hyperthreading), or only effects certain GPU's. Either way, it just works (for me at least).

And good to see the times being flipped back and forth. The war rages on Cheesy

And I'm still willing to donate 50 bucks if you bust that record live Vula :3
N O  F A L L S (15:22): http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3452063
Sexy Vulajin
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2014-01-02 02:16:27 pm
The other day during practice I was talking about RedBuddha's legendary CC pike vault that's so precise, it hasn't been recorded on video that I'm aware of. Someone asked me to demonstrate what I was talking about, so I went to show off the general area where you're supposed to do it...and I accidentally got the pike vault. Here's a highlight: http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3483983 (Enjoy my nonsensical gibbering at the end, shocked that I actually accomplished it.)

I have yet to reproduce this.
Quote from Vulajin:
I have yet to reproduce this.

Everyone is allowed one CC skip in their lifetime. Tongue
Looking at the AGDQ schedule was the first time I became aware of Bastion runs. I loved the game and have been looking for a way to get into speedrunning and would love to start running Bastion as well. Does anybody have some good material to read about how to get started? Stuff like what weapons I should equip, what upgrades to use, how to perform that duplication glitch that I hear is done, and whatever other tips. Any information really would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hey Kibblre!

First off looking at the top runs of the category you would like to run is a great way to learn the strategies used and paths taken throughout the game. those can all be found here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aukvn1VrKwqMdHRDRnJEN1ZOTEdnaVk0UzdDU2s4a1E#gid=1

Those videos should give you an idea of what weapons are used as well, although I will say that on new game + the choice between mortar and musket is completely up to you.

For upgrades, none are used in new game runs and in new game + you mostly want to prioritize damage.

The hammer is given all of the left upgrades except for the second one where you grab the knockback.
The repeater is given all of the left upgrades except for the last one because homing bullets has proven better than ricocheting.
The musket is given all of the left upgrades.
The pike is given all of the left upgrades.
For the mortar I honestly can't say because I've never bothered using it.

The duplication glitch is actually really easily done. It's done by grabbing the core a second time before in initially disappears. All that takes is binding the interact key of the game to either mouse scroll down or mouse scroll up. You just have to make sure that you scroll the wheel enough and it should work. This won't work though if something causes you to lose control of the kid after collecting the first core (like leveling up).

Another thing to keep in mind. Using the mouse for movement rather than a controller or WASD causes your rolls to go both further and faster. This is necessary for some of the skips within the game. All of the pike vault skips really on the momentum of the roll before it and having that extra speed either makes the skips possible or easier to do.

If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask.
Edit history:
Kibblre: 2014-01-07 08:13:50 pm
Kibblre: 2014-01-07 07:39:59 pm
Thanks! I was looking at trying to do NG runs. I'll have to check out some of the runs like you said. I haven't even played the game in awhile so I'll have to get used to the mouse controls.

So what control bindings are favored for the mouse controls? Obviously wheel down for interaction, but what else?

Another question. I see you guys have games that move "faster" than me. From what I read in this post, it's due to running the game at 60 FPS. Without using -nofixedstep, I run at ~45 FPS. However, using it makes the game run at 120 FPS due to my 120hz monitor. I can make the monitor run at 60hz and use -nofixedstep to make the game run as it should. Is this what I should be doing?
bindings are mostly preference. I personally use q for special abilities, w for secondary weapon and r for primary weapon (I use e for interact when doing all levels) left click for move, right click for shield and space for roll.  On the fps issue im not really sure. I guess going with -nofixedstep at 60 would work although i can't guarantee the game how the game will act.
Well, for instance, I'm watching Vulajin's run. Is he running at 60 FPS? The only way for me to run at 60, which would put me on the same game speed, is what I described above. I'd love to start practicing (been taking some stabs at the Wharf district), but I want to make sure I'm running the same as everybody else.
yes vulajin is running at 60 fps
Edit history:
Kibblre: 2014-01-07 08:46:24 pm
Ok, cool. I'll keep doing what I need to do to stay at 60 and start practicing.

Also, I haven't used any split programs before since I haven't done any speedrunning. I noticed there's a delay in Vulajin's run where he starts a split and when the timer actually starts. Is there a template for this I can download?
Edit history:
Lawyer Dog: 2014-01-07 09:30:48 pm
Lawyer Dog: 2014-01-07 09:27:20 pm
Quote from Kibblre:
Ok, cool. I'll keep doing what I need to do to stay at 60 and start practicing.

Also, I haven't used any split programs before since I haven't done any speedrunning. I noticed there's a delay in Vulajin's run where he starts a split and when the timer actually starts. Is there a template for this I can download?

In wsplit's "Configure..." menu you can set a start delay. For starting the timer right when you're clicking to start the game, I always used a 18.22 delay for New Game and 20.12 for New Game +.

I've never used -nofixedstep, I always just used 1280x720 with vsync on in a window, but it seems like I can no longer select that as an option and would have to do 1366x768. This program is pretty much essential if you're going to play in a window, unless you like losing runs to clicking outside of the window: http://www.dota-utilities.com/2008/11/downloads-warcraft-iiiwindows-mouse.html

For control bindings I always just used default for everything but Use in any%. You want to make sure to not be using mousewheel for use if doing All Story Levels, to prevent accidental duping.
So should I be using windowed for 60 FPS or is -nofixedstep perfectly fine?
Quote from Kibblre:
So should I be using windowed for 60 FPS or is -nofixedstep perfectly fine?

It seems like -nofixedstep can cause weird problems, I would avoid it if at all possible.
I can't figure out any other possible way for me to get 60 FPS without -nofixedstep. It's capping out at 43.
Edit history:
2bitmarksman: 2014-01-08 07:51:33 pm
Quote from Kibblre:
I can't figure out any other possible way for me to get 60 FPS without -nofixedstep. It's capping out at 43.

This is the same case for me. All I can say is try -nofixedstep. It seems to be very hit and miss with people, and there doesn't seem to be any definite cause as to why that is. Best thing I could say is if your already at 60FPS, -nofixedstep isn't necessary, but if your hanging at 40-45 (like both my desktop and laptop) then -nofixedstep can fix the FPS problem.

Vulajin has a vid of him using it when his computer can already run at 60FPS and it lagged at a rather inopportune time for no real reason, while it's precisely the opposite for me.

Use at your own volition is pretty much the word.

Oh, and welcome fellow new speedrunner <3
Good enough.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm currently trying to practice these in little segments. I'm pretty comfortable with Wharf District and Workmen Ward, but I do occasionally miss the gate skip in Wharf.
Did anybody tried to run this game using a controller? I know that's going to be slower (there's a huge difference in speed), but I'd really like to try.
The only problem is.. there's no way to duplicate the cores/shards with a controller, right?
Quote from KaGe0x:
Did anybody tried to run this game using a controller? I know that's going to be slower (there's a huge difference in speed), but I'd really like to try.
The only problem is.. there's no way to duplicate the cores/shards with a controller, right?

Basically. The core dupe is done by picking the core up extremely quickly in succession. I don't think human finger's can manually execute the dupe (though may be possible with a turbo controller???)