Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 26 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
So tonight I found an awesome way to skip the narration on the Skyway before RL (in new route). Normally, when you go to RL, Rucks says "City tried to use the shard to stake out the Wilds. So much for that plan." This wastes like 4 seconds and is dumb. HOWEVER - if you handle your buildings in the right way, you can skip this.

First, there's a slight change to the route I posted above. After HG, build the Memorial, but DON'T claim the Valediction yet. Normally, when you open the Memorial, Rucks wants to tell you all about the building, and you can't claim any vigils until he finishes talking. However, if he's already talking when you open the Memorial, you get to skip that. When you claim the vigil, Rucks also wants to tell you all about it. However, if he's still talking when you claim it, you get to skip that too. There's no way you can accomplish either of these skips claiming the vigil after HG.

Instead, go directly to CF. After completing CF, deposit your cores. As quickly as possible, go upgrade the Memorial. Rucks will start talking about how the shards can give new life to the old buildings. While he's doing this, open the Memorial. He won't tell you about it. As soon as the game lets you, claim the vigil. He should still just barely be talking, and you'll skip his second narration as well. Now exit the Memorial and go build the Lost and Found. Because Rucks isn't currently talking, he'll start telling you something about the Lost and Found. Now book it to the Skyway (don't fall!). He should still be talking when you get there, and you will bypass his text.

This surprisingly complex sequence of events saves about 4 seconds, and it only works out so well in the new route because you're using buildings. In the old route, you can do it, but it'll require some needless waiting in the Bastion, which cuts into the time savings.

When you combine this skip with the removal of Werewhiskey and possible optimizations in PB+WO, I think the new route comes out either tied with or faster than the old route. My sum of best splits is 15:41 now.
Ate the extra spicy banana
Quote from Vulajin:
Nice, good find on Werewhiskey. If that's the case, then you can save the 2 seconds that you would have to spend equipping Werewhiskey. Using the Werewhiskey strats, the reason you pick up the shard after killing her is that the shard heals you, canceling the Werewhiskey effect.

Looks like Black Rye is not available until you upgrade the Distillery, which is not usually part of the route. I don't think it's likely to be worthwhile to do this.

(edit) Also, one very important note about this route. In HG, you are going to hit level 2 off of picking up the core. Each core gives 100 XP, and it's possible if you kill too many things that you level up off the first core, preventing you from duping it. To avoid this, just don't kill either giant scumbag in WD. The giant scumbags give 100 XP, and normally you kill one, so just skipping it should put you at a safe XP range so that you level up off the second core instead of the first.

Yeah, 3 cycling Anne I usually poke-shoot-poke with pike and musket and it's always worked at opening up the skybridge :3

The Black Rye would allow you to skip 2 more doors in PB, which would save a total of about 6 seconds, which I think is worth it.

Also, I seem to kill things too much because I'm usually 10-50xp under level 2 after picking up the Workman's Ward Shard. I usually go dupe the ghast hood that's on the way to the boss in that area if I'm that close to level, which wastes the extra 1.5-2 seconds of rolling there and back.

It may be possible with this new route to get a sub 16 minute run with little to no falls.
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2013-12-09 04:09:21 am
Vulajin: 2013-12-09 03:56:50 am
I kill the following things, and never have any problem with too much XP:

Wharf District:
- The 6 squirts outside the Sole Regret.
- One turret, 8 gasfella boxes, 3 small gasfellas, one large gasfella, and all but 2 squirts in the Sole Regret.
- 2 turrets just outside the Distillery/Arsenal.
- One gasfella on the barge.
- 3-4 turrets while riding the barge.
- Two large gasfellas near Something Heavy, and up to 7 squirts.

Workmen Ward:
- The foreman.

Hanging Gardens:
- One turret blocking the gate.

If you're killing more than this, feel free to cut back on some stuff.

(edit) For reference, check out the 16:05 run I posted on the last page, in which I kill the exact set of stuff described above.

(edit 2) About Black Rye...after upgrading the Distillery, you'd have to open it, and you'd be greeted with "New Spirits Available". Then you obviously need to equip the spirit. Then, on your way out, it's going to confirm that you want to leave some of your spirits unequipped. I wouldn't be surprised if this cost nearly the entire 6 seconds you're hypothesizing. However, I'll time it later on. This also requires being careful with your building, because you'll need the Distillery to be in the top-left spot, and it requires doing CC > PB > WO instead of PB > WO > CC to finish the run.
Quote from Vulajin:
I kill the following things, and never have any problem with too much XP:

Wharf District:
- The 6 squirts outside the Sole Regret.
- One turret, 8 gasfella boxes, 3 small gasfellas, one large gasfella, and all but 2 squirts in the Sole Regret.
- 2 turrets just outside the Distillery/Arsenal.
- One gasfella on the barge.
- 3-4 turrets while riding the barge.
- Two large gasfellas near Something Heavy, and up to 7 squirts.

Workmen Ward:
- The foreman.

Hanging Gardens:
- One turret blocking the gate.

If you're killing more than this, feel free to cut back on some stuff.

(edit) For reference, check out the 16:05 run I posted on the last page, in which I kill the exact set of stuff described above.

(edit 2) About Black Rye...after upgrading the Distillery, you'd have to open it, and you'd be greeted with "New Spirits Available". Then you obviously need to equip the spirit. Then, on your way out, it's going to confirm that you want to leave some of your spirits unequipped. I wouldn't be surprised if this cost nearly the entire 6 seconds you're hypothesizing. However, I'll time it later on. This also requires being careful with your building, because you'll need the Distillery to be in the top-left spot, and it requires doing CC > PB > WO instead of PB > WO > CC to finish the run.

My run is identical except for killing one of the giant Scumbags at the end of the Wharf District, which is likely where the extra xp comes from. Either way, a few seconds is going to be wasted leveling in HG before grabbing the core via a whirlwind on the mobs there, so I just end up getting it in WW instead essentially.

As for Black Rye, that 6 or so seconds is an estimate; I'm unsure of the exact time, and I'm by no means even close to the best at speedrunning this game. Trying to learn though Tongue
So I'm not really sure but this might change your mind on black rye http://www.twitch.tv/redbuddha/c/3369609
Yeah, that's a really clever pike vault, that will almost certainly make Black Rye worth it. I'll play around with it the overall route a bit tonight.
Kudos to 2bitmarksman for the Black Rye suggestion, and RedBuddha for the awesome new pike vault in PB. Used the new route and strats to crack sub-16 tonight: http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3370875 (15:54)

I expect to drive that time a lot further down - I still have a ton of time to save by doing PB correctly.
Edit history:
2bitmarksman: 2013-12-10 08:26:35 am
God damn Buddha, I tired the pikevault on the first skybridge earlier but couldn't do it in 3 resets. Didn't think it was possible to vault there, definitely need to keep trying with it.

And PB seems like the new CC. It's so ridiculous how easy it is to fall in that level -.-"

Oh, and you can save a small bit of time by rolling past the barricade at the very start if you roll from the top of it.
Edit history:
2bitmarksman: 2013-12-11 06:35:21 pm
New personal record of 17:34 on the new route. Last time I timed myself I was at 19:06, so yay I suppose. I really want to be able to complete the game sub 17 minute though being that its possible to hit sub 16 at the very least.

New route is definitely faster, which is awesome sauce. Hope I can get that sub 17 minute soonish and perhaps try it in a marathon or something. Bastion really does need to be run more (even if its in ADGQ 2014, it needs to happen for the SGDQ 2014 too :D)
Grats! Keep working at it, sub-17 will come before you know it.
Quote from Vulajin:
Grats! Keep working at it, sub-17 will come before you know it.

Thanks for the encouragement :3
Incorporating every last bit of strategy from everywhere, NG any% in 15:43: http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3391391

Things you might see in this run that you might not have seen elsewhere:
- I found a skip for the last Rucks narration left on the Skyway, before you go to HG. This requires opening the Distillery right after building it, and saves about 1 second.
- I discarded the second Queen Anne boost in RL, in favor of a new wall clip I found along the far eastern edge of the last wall. If RL is done optimally, the second Queen always glitches anyway, so this clip is the fastest strat.
- My Queen Anne strats are a little more optimized - I take advantage of the delay between her cycles to creep towards the Skyway.
- You can clearly see the five pike vaults used in Prosper Bluff, as I managed to get all of them without failing for the first time.

Sadly, I fell three times, including once in the Bastion after CC, causing me to incur some Rucks narration I didn't even know was possible on the Skyway. I have easy possible savings of 4 seconds on Hanging Gardens and 10 seconds on Prosper Bluff, so sub-15:30 is still easily possible. However, I'm going to delay going after that in favor of AGDQ practice. I'd love to see someone else go for sub-15:30 though. Smiley
Oh, and here's one more thing I managed tonight. I completed Wharf District in 3:00 during one of my resets: http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3391495
Edit history:
2bitmarksman: 2013-12-14 11:34:13 am
I saw, very nice run. I saw a bunch of skips I didn't know were even possible. Gotta incorporate them in.

Also, I've been timing myself since I hit the button to start on NG, rather than when my character got up lol. About 18.3 seconds I've been adding by mistake :T

GL on ADGQ, get that sub 16 in the marathon Cheesy
Speed > Safety
He's gonna get sub 16 or I'm gonna throw a barrel of angry cats at his face from Texas all the way to the room he's in.

Also, awesome run, keep it up dude. 2bit's gonna get your record if you don't. Smiley
By the way, 2bit, do you stream your attempts? I'd love to watch, if so.
I actually haven't streamed them. Honestly, I think I'm very bad; I really need to practice doing the skips at PB badly and I still haven't figured out the wild outskirts skip entirely.

I really want to know what plugin that shows your time in segments like that is too Vula, where do you get it and how do you set it up??
streaming can help with practice because you will have a video of what you are doing that you can compare to videos of the tricks being done right.

The timer that vulajin is using is wpslit btw.
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2013-12-14 07:21:10 pm
That's WSplit, and you can get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x6e6g8d0m5daa3q/WSplit+1.5.2.zip

It should be pretty straightforward to set up. And everyone is bad before they're good, no need to feel too self-conscious about that.

(edit) Any time you feel like you're bad, watch this run I did at the end of August and enjoy: http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/2838683
I forgot this game could take that long to beat vulajin. Tongue
I perpetually tell myself I'm bad most of the time so I don't feel comfortable and keep trying to improve. I've always been that way especially with games :T

And thanks for the plugin, I'll try it after I'm done with the majority of my school work that's left before finals.
Spent some hours on NG+ any% today, managed a 14:32.32: http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3402120

I'll cut the 14:30 tomorrow night, I was playing ridiculously inconsistently by the end of the night and I think some sleep will do me good.
Edit history:
Red_Buddha: 2013-12-16 12:40:01 pm
Man, if you went for the CC skip that would've been WR.  Tongue
Is burstone still worth doing over the PB + WO that's been found for NG? If not, would the opposite be true? As in, would burstone be worth doing over PB + WO for NG Any%??

Been wondering about this myself for a while
With the current Prosper route it probably is faster than Burstone.

How much faster? I honestly can't say.