--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
OldHalcyon: 2013-07-19 09:43:56 pm
Edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot; sorry! Smiley
Hello Bastion runners! I just started learning NG+ Any% and I can get pretty much every skip consistently, except for one part. The first Pike Vault skip on Cinderbrick Fort. I see that most people use the bottom right corner to jump from, but I see that RedBuddha uses a faster strategy by jumping from a little higher up. I cannot seem to get either one very consistently.

When I try the jump, I cancel the roll as fast as possible and as close to the edge as possible. I also make sure the jump is completely straight, no angle skew after the jump. Is this the correct way to do it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Changing direction when you're in the air seems to give you a little extra distance (the angle skew you mentioned). I normally start my jump going up-right, then in mid-air switch to going directly up. I also use the bottom right corner (but as you said RedBuddha jumps a little further up). It'll be a little faster jumping from where he does, but I personally find it less consistent.

Also make sure you're using mouse movement, as this jump is impossible (or near impossible?) with WASD/Xbox controller.
Oh okay, thank you explaining this! I'll have to practice the angle skew. I reviewed other runs and it seemed like that's what people were doing but I couldn't really tell. Yeah, I'm not sure which way is more comfortable for me yet. I started learning it with RedBuddha's method, and learned the bottom right one after. I would only get it 1/10 times for either one.

Yes, I use mouse for speedrunning. I started playing this game with controller though, and I miss it lol.

Thanks for the quick response Cereth, glad there's still some runners left for this awesome game. Smiley
One thing to note for that jump is where you are landing specifically. only a certain part of the corner sticks out further so you have to make sure that you are aiming for that part. Also from the part that I usually jump from you don't want to skew the angle because it's much easier to just go straight for it.
So it sounds like it's a trade off of no angle changing for a much more precise jump. I ultimately want to be able to do this method because it's faster, but I'll have to practice both and see how it works out. Thanks for the help. Smiley
One thing that I find that really helps is just watching a clip of it being done and really paying attention to where everything takes place (rolling, jumping, aiming, etc...). then simply emulating that until you no longer have to think about placement and can just walk up and do it anytime.
Hello everyone, new to this forum and new to speedrunning. Started practising this game yesterday, only recently finished the game. Today I finished my first NG any % 23:14

http://imgur.com/aMyRXZB splits if anyone is intrested.

Actually died 2 times on Roathus Lagoon, and I didnt bother resetting, since I didnt have a complete run yet (because I suck at duping shards), and I just kept going.
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong on that level. I can get the first skip with the knockup from the queen, but I just cant get the second one, where she knocks you over the wall near the shard. Am I just simply too slow? She doesnt even respawn for me on the spot, and spawns 3 seconds later in the grass, then I have to kill the guy and go all the way around to get the shard. Just too slow?

Also, is killing her not required? I watched mazei's run, where he killed her, and then left the level. I could actually just get the shard and leave after a few hits (since I messed up the werewhiskey mine trick, and didnt 1shot her).
The second skip you need to go really far around the left side (theres a huge invisible wall you need to roll around while you're in the air) to get to the boss area.

As for the Queen Anne kill, you only really need to do about 75% damage to her. You can use the narrator queue that's something like 'Now he's gone and made her mad' at which point the skyway opens up.

After you've made the shortcut jump you need to roll to the right to trigger the boss spawn, then you can go back and pick up the shard.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your runs Smiley
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2013-10-02 02:09:52 pm
Hey Dhul, like you, I picked this game up semi-recently, so I have pretty recent recollection of all the troubles you're likely to go through.

The cue for getting the second Queen Anne boost is that you want to go left of the "halfway mark" on the edge of the platform below where she is. You're going to roll once right off the boost, once again down and around the wall, and then once again right to get onto land. Three rolls should be sufficient. Also, if you can't get the boost, there's a nook on the left side of the wall where you can roll towards the skull below it and clip through. If you get the wall clip quickly enough, it's only around 2 seconds slower than the Queen Anne boost.

On "killing" Queen Anne, in NG any% it's sufficient to drop three mines and hit her with the pike once, then the musket. That'll trigger the Skyway so you can just run away. Werewhiskey is honestly not even worth it.
I practiced a couple runs of the Lagoon, and its still pretty hard, but im getting there. Easily the hardest part of the run, for me atleast.

Also, is there any way to save time on Melting Pot, or is it completely timed?
Melting pot can be sped up by killing the enemies and forcing the next wave to spawn but there is a limit to how fast the level can be done.
Apparently it used to be thought that killing the three small scumbags as quickly as possible was the only important timing trigger in the Melting Pot. Then LawyerDog at some point determined that it was actually the big squirts that spawn later on. Well, I did two runs back-to-back and got some very odd timing results that don't seem to indicate that either of these things is the case. I'm still investigating, but let's just say your best bet for the Melting Pot is to kill everything as quickly as possible.
So I practiced Roathus Lagoon for like 20 minutes today, just to get everything properly. I still cant 1 shot Queen Anne, but I managed to get every skip on the first try

Started a run, and got 18:42. I'm pretty happy, but theres still alot of little things trimming.

http://i.imgur.com/vGvBOYY.jpg new splits.

Also thank you to everyone who gave tips and answered my questions. Now its time for more practice!
Cool! Speaking of PBs, I was only pace for a 16:33 last night, but I talked to Zia about restoration. -_- Still getting consistently 16:4x times, though.
I've done a few runs myself recently. Unfortunately it has been so long that I'm extremely rusty and don't really have the time to practice to get back into the swing of things. In December though I hope to really spend some time on NG+ Any% and cut at least 8-10 more seconds off.
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2013-10-18 03:16:04 am
Vulajin: 2013-10-18 03:15:41 am
Finally churned out a new NG any% PB: 16:29, eclipsing LawyerDog's PB and coming in 2 seconds short of Mazei's WR. Smiley

http://imgur.com/3KeU6rh
http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3102167
Nice run Vulajin =D Go get sub-16:20, do eeeet.
I plan to! My sum of best segments is 16:00, so honestly most of my runs right now are kind of embarrassing in a sense. <_<

(Mazei is probably referring to my 16:24, which you can watch here: http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3147525)
Random update on Melting Pot. I played around with this level a lot during practice, and I think I've narrowed down the only important triggers that actually speed the level up. First, the three small scumbags that spawn after the first wave of gasfellas. Second, when the huge scumbags spawn, you want to kill the two turrets and about three of the small gasfellas. These are the only ones where you can really lose time. You can kill everything else as fast as you want, but as long as you don't literally stand there doing nothing, the level will proceed at the fastest speed.
Grats on the 16:18 Vulajin.
So after getting 16:10 in NG any%, I decided to give NG+ any% a shot. So far, just kind of coasting on what I know from NG and failing Pike Vaults liberally, I've been able to get 16:04: http://www.twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3335030 Although I'm doing NG any% at AGDQ, I'll probably keep working on NG+ a little bit just for the challenge.
15:06 in NG+ any%: http://twitch.tv/vulajin/c/3339850
Not Bad! Now you just need to cut the 15 Tongue
Ate the extra spicy banana
Hai guys, I started doing speedruns of Bastion because its one of my all time favorite games, but I'm wondering which skips and tricks actually still work or more specifically how they're done so consistantly.

I've had a good look over Mazei and Red_Buddha's runs for NG and NG+ and for NG I find it very hard to do the first doorskip at the rippling walls and cinderbrick fort boss areas, along with the skip at Roathus Lagoon to the boss area; Is there some setting that I need to change? Also in NG+ I'm finding it very difficult to doing the pikevault doorskip and the skip at roathus lagoon. Is there some technique to this, like spamming roll right as you land that makes it more consistant to clear the door?