Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Barney's Hide and Seek (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Reject

Reason: The run was done exactly 75% opposite of the fastest route.

https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/queue/verificationfiles/1059/

This run will be available for a month. After that these link(s) will no longer work.
Thread title:  
Run Information

Barney's Hide and Seek (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/barney-v_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by May 22, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Edit history:
MAS8705: 2014-05-09 09:19:40 am
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
I was about to post this whole thing about how if this game even qualifies as a speed run, but after reading through it, I decided to not post it since it might come off as mean spirited and decided to just summarize it in one sentence:

Does this even count as a speed run?

I mean no disrespect to the person who submitted this, but it looked like there was literally no effort put into this at all!  Just hold right and walk to the other side of the screen while Barney tells you the various things he is passing by.  I'm sure that anyone could be able to replicate this if they had the game in their hands if you aren't going to get find the kids or the presents.  Other than that, quality was good and it ran smoothly.

If this does count as a speed run, I'd say accept.  Otherwise I really do question if this does count.

Edit:  Still, Kudos to Zastbat for posting the video to show that SOMEHOW the strategy of holding right can actually be trounced by GOING TO THE LEFT!  Still, I count this as a joke speed run, and as such I'm counting this as a Reject.
Edit history:
DeMoNFLiP84: 2014-05-09 05:24:23 pm
A Serious Noob
After reviewing the video I just had to try this game out for myself and my conclusion to all of this is where's the effort? I literary laughed about the whole thing afterwards but...

All the runner did is start the stage and move to the right until you get to the end of the level and repeat. Beside movement you can get Barney to jump and blowing kisses in the game but by doing that you will lose some frames.

In the game you are playing hide and seek with your friends. In each level you are tasked to search for your friends hiding in the background as well as finding presents along the way. At the end of the level the game recaps on how many friends and present that you found in that level and then you are off to the next level to repeat the same task. Finding stuff is a big waste of time at the end because it recaps each friends and presents that you find one by one. So having 0 found is way faster and still allows you to advance to the next stage. 

Let me summarize, Barney was suppose to find his friends and the presents but didn't because it will take some effort to find them so instead the runner ignores the tasks at hand and just clearing the level to advance to the next making it effortless of a run. There is the ending credits that rolls at the end of the game so technically the runner did beat it.

I can see this game as "a joke" to speedrun and that I've heard/read about speedrunning this game from before. Granted this is technically a speedrun running at any% from start to finish. The issue I have with this run is that anyone can run this game at any% for the first time and may end up having the same run time as the run submitted here. If this was a 100% run then it will be different.

Overall watching the run the first time was for laughs but was unimpressed with it because the fact that there is little to no effort in the run whatsoever. This game is that easy!

A/V is good

If this game does count as a speedrun then I accept it for what it is.

Edit: Apparently there is a faster run but this time with some effort than the one submitted here for verification. Reject due to poor planning.
Edit history:
JackintheBox333: 2014-05-09 09:12:33 am
JackintheBox333: 2014-05-09 09:11:50 am
Professional Shaq Fu Speedrunner
A/V is fine.

Lets see: Official Sega Genesis cartridge: Check
Has a defined end screen: Check
Has ways to speedup or slow down the game: Well... I have no idea if the other sprites in the levels move at random or how much they lag the game, but lag reduction is clearly something plus, frame perfect d-pad holding. You slow down by jumping and looking for the kids. And from the run, the runner demonstrated perfect d-pad holding. So this game fits... barely.

Is it a speedrun? Yes. Is it a joke? Clearly. You know what else was a joke? http://speeddemosarchive.com/Clue.html And that has runs on TWO different versions of it.

Verdict: Accept

EDIT: MIND BLOWN. Left is faster than right (Mostly). Reject due to poor planning.

I had a WR in this game, but it was on emu.  Somehow the runner managed to match my TAS perfect run on console/

Accept, and may god help us all.
Edit history:
zastbat: 2014-05-09 05:25:07 am
zastbat: 2014-05-09 05:21:59 am
zastbat: 2014-05-09 05:21:36 am
zastbat: 2014-05-09 05:20:46 am
Lord Of The Beards
This run is not optimal at all and only holds right and it is faster on 3 out of 4 levels to go left.  Even is this is a joke run there was no effort put into this besides holding right and assuming it was fast.

Reject.
Quote from zastbat:
This run is not optimal at all and only holds right and it is faster on 3 out of 4 levels to go left.  Even is this is a joke run there was no effort put into this besides holding right and assuming it was fast.

Reject.

Words cannot express how beautiful this post is.
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Quote from JackintheBox333:

Is it a speedrun? Yes. Is it a joke? Clearly. You know what else was a joke? http://speeddemosarchive.com/Clue.html And that has runs on TWO different versions of it.

In all fairness to the Clue speedruns, there is actually alot of luck that goes into trying to guessing correctly.  It is unknown how many times the runners had to restart the run before he finally got it right.  Here, you could do the same run 20 times over and you can probably get the same time.
Lord Of The Beards
Quote from MAS8705:
In all fairness to the Clue speedruns, there is actually alot of luck that goes into trying to guessing correctly.  It is unknown how many times the runners had to restart the run before he finally got it right.  Here, you could do the same run 20 times over and you can probably get the same time.

To also be fair to barney hide and seek an optimal time of this would need to see hardly any kids since they lag the game someone could probably get around a 4:30 if they wanted to put in the attempts on it.
Edit history:
Crow!: 2014-05-10 11:28:07 pm
Crow!: 2014-05-10 11:27:42 pm
Crow!: 2014-05-10 11:21:40 pm
What's that gemma?
I think this part of the verification guidelines is relevant:

Quote:
Play Quality:
Play quality is, unfortunately, impossible to systematically quantify.  SDA's simply looking for runs worth posting.  We're not a world record site, and runs don't have to be absolutely perfect, but they should be decent, not too easily improved, and should fit in with other runs on the site.

In this case, even if the run's "planning" were fixed, and even with (technically) perfect execution, that doesn't mean that the run would be worth posting.  SDA isn't a records site, and isn't required to accept every run that is a world record.  I think this also means that SDA isn't required to accept runs of every game, regardless of how properly the run is executed.

Submitting this run is rather obviously a test of the limits of the system at SDA - gaming the site itself, as it were.  My vote is that this is a case where the site should show that it in fact has a limit.
Professional Shaq Fu Speedrunner
I think the game itself is worth posting just on the sheer absurdity of it. I do agree that this game does push the limits of what defines a game. I will say that its worth posting because the name itself is a draw. It's a game thats out there, and as zastbat proved, actually isn't just holding one single direction. He does have to jump in his run. Because the game itself does have gameplay, even if the speedrun utilizes gameplay not exactly intended, Barney's Hide and Seek is a platformer, a very bad platformer, but a platformer none the less.
HELLO!
If the runner didn't even do basic routing research and did it wrong it's clearly a reject.  Otherwise it'd probably be an accept.
Talk to the Hand
Quote from Crow!:
Submitting this run is rather obviously a test of the limits of the system at SDA - gaming the site itself, as it were.  My vote is that this is a case where the site should show that it in fact has a limit.

If this was the goal of the submission, I find it hilarious that the person submitting it failed miserably in proving their point.
Decision posted.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Crow!:
I think this part of the verification guidelines is relevant:

Quote:
Play Quality:
Play quality is, unfortunately, impossible to systematically quantify.  SDA's simply looking for runs worth posting.  We're not a world record site, and runs don't have to be absolutely perfect, but they should be decent, not too easily improved, and should fit in with other runs on the site.

In this case, even if the run's "planning" were fixed, and even with (technically) perfect execution, that doesn't mean that the run would be worth posting.  SDA isn't a records site, and isn't required to accept every run that is a world record.  I think this also means that SDA isn't required to accept runs of every game, regardless of how properly the run is executed.

I just want to point out the section in the guidelines you quoted is to address play quality, not game quality.
What's that gemma?
A game can be so simple that good play quality doesn't exist for that game.  Something which is without errors is not necessarily good.