Smiley
Sad
<- 123456 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Seeing this game being broken really made me interested in running it. And speaking of broken, here is some additions to the brokeness:

This trick makes RBA completely viable in a run

Fly under Gobi's Valley as bee
Well that's it. I think it's time for me to pick this game up again.
Wow!! Someone show this to Stivity-bobo ASAP. I want to see an any% speedrun with reverse bee adventure so bad! Cheesy
Edit history:
Cronikeys: 2013-04-30 12:25:21 am
Cronikeys: 2013-04-30 12:22:13 am
Cronikeys: 2013-04-17 06:21:29 pm
I can't replicate either of these on the NTSC version. These might be PAL only unless someone can confirm getting either of these clips on NTSC. I'll keep trying and update my post if I find anything.

EDIT: Yeah, both clips shown in those videos aren't possible on NTSC.
Edit history:
Exchord92: 2013-04-30 07:31:53 am
Exchord92: 2013-04-17 07:27:53 pm
The clip is fairly easy on PAL, but I can't stay out of bounds because it warps me back to the CCW entrance from the end of the map. On NTSC it seems impossible to clip though because if you turn too far left, you'll end up flying out of the corner instead of clipping.

Cronikeys and I have tested this on emulator too. Concerning this glitch, there's no real difference between emu and console on both versions, so the glitch apparently exists just because of regional speed/game engine differences.
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
Quote from Cronikeys:
I can't replicate either of these on the NTSC version. These might be PAL only unless someone can confirm getting either of these clips on NTSC. I'll keep trying and update my post if I find anything.

EDIT: Yeah, both clips shown in those videos aren't possible on NTSC.

I agree that there's probably a version difference here. I've tried the exact position in the video, as well as many other positions in that room, and I've never gotten through the wall.
I have only done the clip on a PAL console, so I don't know if it is possible on NTSC. On emulator though, I have been able to do the clip on both PAL and NTSC, and there is not really any difference between the versions.

About the second clip, I probably should have mentioned that I have not tested it on console (the Stop'n'Swop chat that removes the door has been used on my card).
Die Hard 2013.
Hi blank63, Cronikeys and I have been doing a ton of testing/routing with this game.  Manocheese has been doing his own thorough testing independently.

We cannot currently replicate anything you have done on the NTSC rom of the game.  Is your NTSC rom version 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2?  (Note that in some emulators, it is possible to force a PAL game to run at 60 Hz.  This is not considered the NTSC version.)

What emulator and what version are you using currently?  (I have no reason to believe that the emulator emulates anything other than lag and load times incorrectly at this point.  I have seen no misrepresented physics for banjo kazooie, and a lot of our testing has been in emulator.)

Please also list any in-game and gameshark cheats you have used, as they may be affecting the game in some way we are not realizing.

If you cannot tell us exactly how you are running the game, we will not be able to replicate it.

Separately, please label things confirmed to be PAL only as PAL only in the future, as it just creates confusion.  Most of the recent glitch discussion has been about NTSC (US) version.  It creates confusion when you say "NEW TIME SAVING TRICK (oh by the way i guess it's only on PAL, the version you guys and girl haven't been playing on)"

I make this post seeking clarification, as we would like to recognize new discoveries.  However, if we can't reproduce what you are doing, it is really of no benefit to either of us.
I'm using mupen64plus 1.99.5 and Banjo-Kazooie (U) (V1.0) [!] with no cheats.
Edit history:
kirkq: 2013-04-18 12:32:22 am
Die Hard 2013.
If I bash my bee head into that wall, how long would you expect it to take me to get through once or twice on NTSC?
It takes me a couple of seconds.
Edit history:
kirkq: 2013-04-18 12:41:50 am
Die Hard 2013.
We'll test it on mupen64plus NTSC U version 1.0 at some point.  Right now we have spent multiple HOURS trying make it out on NTSC U version 1.0 on regular mupen64, even before today.  It is possible there are emulation differences.  We made it out on PAL version fairly easily, which leads us to believe we are doing it correctly.
Edit history:
Play-doh: 2013-04-19 07:11:02 am
It's definitely possible on the PAL version, I spent the couple of hours having a tour with the bee. Although if a 810 door skip was found it would make RBA obsolete. It's a shame that RBA only really saves maybe five minutes with decent execution of the glitches.

You probably already tried this but you don't need a whole lot of turn like shown on the video, I go when I see the back pack just come into sight.
Edit history:
kirkq: 2013-04-30 01:10:44 am
Die Hard 2013.
Apparently this is an emulation error in mupen, as no one can seem to replicate it on console or project 64, and it is easily replicable on mupen.  Your PAL clips are possible on hardware (I think?), but the same clips on NTSC are not known to be possible on project 64 or console.

My previous post was misinformed, as I just assume people test in mupen.  I thought Cronikeys and Exchord were working in mupen, apparently they were both working in Project 64.  Cronikeys likes Project 64 more than she likes frame advance for some reason. Shocked  I had maybe intended to test it on mupen 64 plus at some point, but I'm really lazy.

I think all glitches posted prior to now have been accomplished on NTSC Project 64 (which we now assume is more accurate to the console until proved otherwise.)

If we find more issues like this, we will try to bring them up.  Ideally any emulator RTA or tool-assisted run should only use glitches that are thought to be possible on the hardware.  We should also be careful posting clips in this game in the future, as they are now shown to not be 100% accurate in mupen.

Sorry for the confusion, suspicion, and incorrect statement.  I was trying to figure out what was going on more than anything.

Moral of the story: Emulators are inaccurate at times, especially mupen. 
Edit history:
Cronikeys: 2013-04-30 01:40:56 am
Cronikeys: 2013-04-30 01:37:59 am
Quote from kirkq:
Cronikeys likes Project 64 more than she likes frame advance for some reason. Shocked

Realtime glitch hunting 4 life thumbsup

Quote from kirkq:
I think all glitches posted prior to now have been accomplished on NTSC Project 64 (which we now assume is more accurate to the console until proved otherwise.)

All major glitches I've posted have been console tested on NTSC, btw, including: RBA, 350/450 skip, 640 skip, Door of Grunty Skip, and all the 100% stuff (including Rubee's Pyramid before beak bomb). Manocheese and I have tested a few of the various bee clips on NTSC console, too.
For PAL I can confirm that the bee escape clip I posted and the 640 note door skip is possible on console. I'm going to try and confirm the rest of the big skips.

But, as I have mentioned, I'm not able to test the clip in Gobi's Valley that I posted on console, so if someone with PAL that hasn't used the Stop'n'Swop cheats could test that, I'd appreciate it.
Hey everyone Smiley

Thought i'd pop my head in and see if anything new had been discovered for Banjo-Kazooie and well would you look THAT! You can explore the game as a bee now :O

It has always been a very mysterious game Banjo-Kazooie. These new tricks and glitches are clearly emphasising that!

So much unused terrain, so many broken barriers. I'd even like to believe Stop & Swap may have had some deeply secret connection with Stop as Banjo and Swap to the Bee Cheesy

Any way, amazing work everyone! I had no idea B-K would ever get broken down the way it is now. Truly impressive stuff!

I was hoping someone could answer a couple of questions straight off the bat:

1. What kind of runs are being planned for Banjo-Kazooie at the moment and who is planning to run them?
* I'm assuming there has been some changes to the rules in recent years, death abuse no longer being a separate category for example...

2. How far along are the runs - planning / routes / glitches / boundaries etc. Just a basic overview would be great!

3. Is there any easier way to get control of the bee to use throughout the game apart from the cauldron activation glitch? Purely for enjoyment this one Cheesy

Apart from that, it's very exciting to see so much action and progress on speedrunning Banjo-Kazooie.

It seems to have been taken to whole new levels and it's a totally different ball game now!

Best of luck as always to anyone and everyone who is speedrunning and contributing to running one of the greatest games ever.

And can't wait to see how far this game can be pushed and what else can be discovered Smiley

*A few side notes*

Congratulations Jump-Man on your 2.28 100% run. I very much enjoyed watching it Wink

Glad to see SDA is still up and about with lots of action happening! Especially on B-K.

I'm looking forward to seeing more runs and tricks as they happen now and in the future for B-K and speeddemosarchive.

Personally I have started playing Banjo-Kazooie again and would love to contribute to the discussions and plannings for future runs!

Lastly, i'd like to consider my self a competitor to do one of those runs Wink

Thanks everyone. Once again: GOOD LUCK

Peace

Daniel
Hi Gibb.

Nice to see you around again! I remember you from the discussions board some 4 years ago, and got inspired from your run and Sami's TAS to run this game myself. So I'd be happy to make a little update, even though I might not be the most obvious person to do so - primarily because the progress is being made very fast and most of the discussions take place elsewhere.

But you might wanna start right here. You will find that this guy, Stivitybobo, takes speedrunning of BK to a whole new level. He runs the game all the time and is consistently fast, so I don't think there's any competition at the moment.

So to answer your first two questions: Runs are not being planned, they are just done everyday and streamed live on Twitch. I'm not sure if Stivitybobo has plans to actually ever submit any run to this site - but it's obvious that he is best at the moment.

As I mentioned, discussions about this game are mostly going on elsewhere, and personally I don't have the time to participate so I kinda forgot where they take place. But the development is very exciting as new tricks are being discovered all the time so I recommend you find them.

Good luck!
Hey everyone !

I'm a French SpeedRunner of Banjo Kazooie. I tried to make a run with the RBA and Door skip yesterday. It was very successful.
I would like to thank Cronikey and Blank63 for finding the glitch. <3 You've done good work.
I'll put the link to the video of my run. this is far from being perfect, but I intend to progress :

http://www.twitch.tv/valybit/c/2345742

I hope to see other SpeedRunner in this category.
Continue to find glitch because the games is going cooler and cooler.
1-Up!
If you intend to submit to SDA, please make sure your recording quality is high enough by posting a sample in our Tech Support board.
Hey again everyone ! And well met Valybit Smiley

Thanks for the reply Jacky, i did go ahead and track down stivitybobo and yes he's very consistently good :O

Hope this is good enough quality to post in the SDA forum :p

Just uploaded a new banjospeedruns video with Spiral Mountain (2.12) and Mumbo Mountain (5.38)

Pretty funny stuff in some parts, especially if you've run the game before ;P

Hope everyone's going well and good luck as always!

gibbatizer & banjospeedruns
so now that this skip's been found are people madly testing other tiles?  the death square immediately west of the joker square seems most useful with the one five north and one east of the joker the next most obvious as they cut down the number of required correct answers to one and four (plus both jokers) respectively once the second skip is used, which would almost eliminate the rng from ff if not for the possibility you might get a grunty question on a skull square right (also can you use gold feathers to block damage from getting questions wrong?).

also i realize the difficulty of this trick has made it considered unfeasible for a run, but i'm super curious what a run including it would look like as you would only need to visit freezeezy peak once, drastically changing the routing of freezeezy, gobi's, and the lair.  is anyone working on a tas that includes it?  the most recent tas is woefully out of date.

Kind of a late response to your post wfp, but I am preparing to work on a new 100% TAS of this game, and I have been routing it for the past few weeks. Rubee early most definitely will be included in the route, and I have rerouted Gobi's as well as other levels. I will post my routing here as well as tasvideos where I have been posting for a while.

Mumbo's Mountain:
Mostly the same as the RTA route with a couple damage cancels to skip jiggy dances and manipulating the conga jiggies to overlap. The level ends on a deathwarp in the hut. I will write out a pastebin soon.

Treasure Trove Cove:
Also basically the same as the RTA route. Pastebin coming soon

Clanker's Cavern: http://pastebin.com/9c0cex9Z

Bubblegloop Swamp: I will be getting the notes and pink jinjo by the huts as Banjo, and leaving the Flibbits, Tanktup, Croctus, and jinjo jiggies for the crocodile transformation to collect. There is a nearby dragonfly by Tanktup to deathwarp off of.

Freezeezy Peak: http://pastebin.com/gwYQG40T

Gobi's Valley: http://pastebin.com/sBTFbWyp

Mad Monster Mansion: It is faster to damage boost on top of the hedge maze off a ghost. There is also a small trick Ringrush found where you can backflip off a window on the second floor of the building and beak bust through the pipe on top. This skips the shock spring pad and saves 2 seconds. Here is a rough picture of the route of the outer area of the level: http://imgur.com/AWSG6Od  It was also found that it is possible to backflip directly onto the tumblar house right next to the exit, which skips the shock spring pad.

Rusty Bucket Bay: http://pastebin.com/wf2MhmDJ

Click Clock Wood: There is an edge clip in autumn that saves a few seconds (found by Cronikeys). It is near the flower and you go there directly after Gnawty's and void out, bringing you back to the lobby. This saves all your jinjos and notes and you can proceed directly to winter. I am still playing around with a possible winter route change. Pastebin will come soon.

Lair: It is faster to reset the console after the MMM water switch cutscene and use the cauldrons to get back to the spider web room. This eliminates backtracking for the Clanker's witch switch jiggy as well. There is the possibility of making a slide jump to the Clanker's puzzle without shock spring, but it would be ridiculously precise. Kirkq said he was within 1 pixel of making the jump on emulator TASed.

Mumbo Token Route: http://pastebin.com/Gv5gPdmp

Anyone feel free to give input and advice for routing. I definitely appreciate any help. Smiley
Wow sorry for necro-threading slightly but after searching this seems to be the most recent BK thread? Community kinda quiet huh.

Anyway I used to 'run' (look, my times weren't great and I didn't work on it much and I don't think I got below 3:05 ever) BK on XBLA.The TV we had in our shared house was too good and wouldn't talk to the N64, which was sad.

But I have my own TV (and flat, as it happens) now so looking to run BK on the original hardware. Thing is though, after FOUR HOURS solid practice I cannot get the Ticker's Tower thing to work. I definitely have a 1.0 cartridge (bought either Xmas '98 or April '99 I can't remember) but as a kid I never knew it could be done, and I already mentioned that as an older-person I ran on XBLA, where it CAN'T be done. So.

Look, where I'm going with this is... any tips? There's gotta be a knack to it, right? I've watched videos until my eyes hurt and I can make the backflip and then the jump to the next platform but can't get any further than that. Just... slide straight off before I can jump. You'd think after hours of practice I'd have made it once even just by accident but nooooooooope.

(After 18 years the 'A' button on my controller does feel a bit dodgy, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. "I swear I don't suck! It's the controller!". Who am I kidding. I suck)

My runs of the other levels are... fine. I mean, not great but acceptable so this Ticker's Tower thing is pure driving me insane now Sad

(oh, and congrats to Stivybobo on being generally awesome at this. The AGDQ run was great)