Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 14 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quick TTC comment. For the sandcastle, I'm pretty sure the overall puzzle becomes faster if the second "A" you use is the far one close to the jiggy rather than using the one right next to the "B". Obviously loses a little time making "BANJO" but I believe it makes up for it during "KAZOOIE", especially going from K to A to Z. Might wanna test it out, forgot what the TAS does.
twitch.tv/fiveleafclover
Yeah, that's the TAS route.

Also, get the notes in the water while you're passing near them during the puzzle, saves time.
Edit history:
kowbrainz: 2008-08-21 02:03:32 am
Quote from Gibbatizer:
Well well well. Ive  just found a way to get the Mumbo Mountain Witch Switch Jiggy reliably. *biggest grin for years*. I got the idea the the small area just above the entrance has the same principle as Tickers tower, in that you just need to face toward it and you can get another jump. Then I started practicing getting to that small area and jumping back and forwards on it, not sliding back down. Then it hit me. after getting your balance, jump a significant distance backward then flap back toward the mound, the extra run up gives you enough extra distance with the second jump that the back flip and ground pound gets you to the jiggy easily.

Oh boy, I like speedrunning again!

I'm not sure I understand this completely; the way you've described it is a little confusing, so you may need to describe it a bit more clearly later if I can't figure it out myself. Or you could post a video; perhaps use an emulator if need be.

But if this works consistantly and isn't too hard to pull off, well done on the find. Tongue

EDIT: Wow, I think I've got it now. Just performed it once with what I think was your method, jumping back from the mound after flipping up, then flapping back towards it. Only difficulties I'm facing come with the second backflip; most of the time I won't be able to perform it after landing.

And Again: Holy crap! You genius, I love you. Performed it again on my third try after doing it the first time.
Now all we have to do is clean up the Mumbo's Mountain time a bit, and this run is going to be looking impressive from the very start. Tongue
So, now that we can easily skip several mumbo tokens, which ones do you want to get in MM? All of them? Perhaps skip the one behind the stonehenge in the tas or something. Either way, it makes mumbo token routes a little easier for later on. Smiley
Edit history:
kowbrainz: 2008-08-21 04:57:12 am
Oh, also; just modified my TTC route and tried it out. I missed three notes and the jinjo jiggy, but I kept going anyway and got a time of 9.26. I pick up the jinjo jiggy while flying, so no time would have been wasted.

The other thing: found a quick way to beat Nipper without losing health. I'll try it again soon. I flipped up onto his shell, then dropped down infront of his eyes. Skipped his speech and rolled into him for the first hit and rat-a-tat rapped him for the second and third hits, and was able to do so without him getting a swipe with his claws. I'll try it again soon just to make sure it works consistantly.

Edit: Started a new file with the new MM route. Managed to get a time of 6.53 without the Termite, and picked up the jiggy outside the level on my second attempt. Woo! Smiley

Oh, and the Nipper trick doesnt always work, unfortunately. Sometimes you'll get hurt if you try to go for another peck, sometimes you wont.  Undecided
I think I'm going to change the RBB route up again. Only slightly though.

A while ago I was testing to see if I could get past the fans with the beak buster invulnerability in the engine room. Turns out I didn't test enough:

Tried a run through on the console with the new trick, and I think 13.00 is possible now; perhaps even less. After hitting the witch switch, drop straight into Boom Box's hold - don't go to the stern of the ship for the fan's switch as you won't need it. This sacrifices a mumbo token, but I think it's worth it.

I advise practising the trick on an emulator first, though; it can take a while to get used to. You'll need to take a run up jump first (usually) then beak bust on the very edge of the pipe platform, as close to the fan as possible without hitting it or falling into the gap. With the right positioning you can get through completely without being hit at all.
Quote:
I think I'm going to change the RBB route up again. Only slightly though.

A while ago I was testing to see if I could get past the fans with the beak buster invulnerability in the engine room. Turns out I didn't test enough:

Tried a run through on the console with the new trick, and I think 13.00 is possible now; perhaps even less. After hitting the witch switch, drop straight into Boom Box's hold - don't go to the stern of the ship for the fan's switch as you won't need it. This sacrifices a mumbo token, but I think it's worth it.

I advise practising the trick on an emulator first, though; it can take a while to get used to. You'll need to take a run up jump first (usually) then beak bust on the very edge of the pipe platform, as close to the fan as possible without hitting it or falling into the gap. With the right positioning you can get through completely without being hit at all.

Very Nice Man! You continue to impress. I suppose the only problem is how reliable is it? Cause if it isn't risk free, do it at 2.20 into the run at your peril...

Nothing on my front.
Yeah; I've only tried one run of the level using the trick, so we'll have to wait and see I guess. I got a pretty horrible time when I did it, but that was due to some big mistakes in other places of the level that I'd normally never mess up. I did manage to pull off those toll skip tricks easily enough, though.

Another thing... I keep debating with myself whether I should go through with this run or just stay around and help someone else. I don't have a means of recording right now, and I'm not sure if I'd still be committed enough to finish a decent run. I'm glad to play around with the individual level routes at the moment, but I'm not sure if I'd be the one to do a full game run, as much as it saddens me to say. It's really hard for me to find enough time to muck around with level routes as it is, let alone find solid 3 hour + blocks of time for full runs of the game.

I dunno. I mean, if there was any game I would ever run, it'd be this one, but at the same time you'd probably be waiting until next year at the earliest before you got a decent run out of me.

Perhaps later I'll find a larger incentive to try and post a run; if I ever get a DVD recorder, or perhaps if I think I can beat your times or something. But until then I might just stick to putting video routes and stuff on youtube for help.  Undecided
It saddens me to hear you say that kowbrainz, I was really looking forward to a new run of this game, i'm sure you could find some time late at night to record maybe? <3 Anyway even if you do decide to give it up, you've been pretty helpful around this area and I hope someone with as much potential as you takes it up.
Gibb said he'd be interested in trying it out earlier in the topic, so I'm hoping that he still feels that way. It's just that if I were to do this run I'd need to buy a DVD recorder, which I'd probably never use again, to be perfectly honest.

The recordings I've had thus far are done using a really obscure method, so for whatever reason I can only record in WMV format, or uncompressed AVI. I've fiddled with all sorts of codecs and it won't let me compress with my recording device, so it looks like I need to buy something if I want to do anything.
Just an idea, do you know anyone with a dvd recorder you could borrow? Or maybe you could just record with a normal video camera, they aren't too bad.
Quote:
let alone find solid 3 hour + blocks of time for full runs of the game.

Yeh I used to have that problem. And all it takes is someone to come home or a phone call and even if you dont have to interact or answer it puts your mind out of place and a mistake is imminent.

Dont worry guys, im doing the run even if Kowbrainz wants to do it aswell. I havn't been speed running the game for 3 years to not do a least 1 good run. At the moment we are coming up with so many tricks and route changes which are highly effective that it's just so addictive to continue to wait and try cutting out more time. But at some stage i'll deffinitely be doing a run.
Glad to hear. Smiley

I'm hoping to record a new TTC route video soon, as well as my Mad Monster route, providing all goes alright inside the well at the start. Then you can see what you want to do with MMM from there.

I also recorded some more stuff from Click Clock Wood, but I'm not going to upload it; I'll just have a look at how things worked out and try to put together a route to follow for next time.

After that, Freezeezy Peak planning. But I'm still reluctant to do anything there due to the TAS videos for Freezeezy and Rusty Bucket Bay not being up. I'd really like to get this run up on the site by the end of this year if possible, so I hope Sami doesn't take too long with the TAS...  Undecided

After that I'll finish up some Mumbo Token routes (we only need 70 now! Whoo hoo! :P) and by then I think we'll be good to go. I could probably get a head start on them now I suppose, since a lot of the tokens don't require you to stray off the route at all and only take a few seconds to pick up if anything.
Mumbo Token Route (70 needed)
thanks to Avengah's FAQ on gameFAQs for help.

Mumbo’s Mountain (5)
all

Gruntilda’s Lair (5)
2: On top of the pipe near the first orange cauldron
4: Behind a tree to the left of the Click Clock Wood puzzle
5: Behind the statue in the room with the big urn near Gobi's Valley
8: In an alcove next to the Mad Monster Mansion puzzle
9: Behind Mumbo in the crypt

Treasure Trove Cove ( 8 ) -lol, had to space it out because of auto smilie...  Roll Eyes
1: Above the Shock Jump Disc next to the molehill
2: Behind Nipper
3: Top of the lower part of the mast on Blubber's ship
4: Underwater inside Blubber's ship (top entrance)
7: In a Lockup chest 2/3 up the hill with the stairs
8: In the same Lockup as 7
10: Behind the breakable door on the top of the island

Clanker’s Cavern (3)
1: On top of the entrance pipe
4: From the Shock Jump pad with the life on it, jump right and climb the pipe,
it's in the wall
5: Talon Trot up Clanker's tail, it's below the Jiggy

Bubblegloop Swamp (7)
3: High above the huts you stomp on, between two platforms
4: Behind Tiptup inside Tanktup (the big turtle)
6: Behind Mumbo's hut
7: Behind Mumbo
8: In the swamp under the huts you stomp on
9: Next to 8
10: Inside the big crocodile, by the entrance

Gobi’s Valley (9)
1: In the Sun pyramid with the pairs puzzle, at the back
3: In a corner of the quicksand behind Jinxy
4: Inside Jinxy at the back
5: In Rubee's pyramid at the back
6: Outside the exit door of the Star pyramid
7: Inside the Star Pyramid BEFORE YOU GET THE JIGGY
8: After draining the water, dive in outside, it's at the bottom
9: Above the central pyramid you raise
10: In a jar at the end of the maze in the central pyramid

Mad Monster Mansion (12)
1: In the fireplace in Napper's room
3: Behind a grave near the chapel
4: In the clock on the roof of the chapel
5: At the back of the hedge maze
6: By the ramp you use as a pumpkin to get on the house roof
7: In the sink in the bathroom
8: In the yellow Jinjo's bedroom, behind the box with the four notes
11: On the roof of Tumblar's shed
12: In an alcove near Tumblar's shed
13: In the chapel on the organ's stool
14: High on the rafters in the chapel
15: At the bottom inside the well

Freezeezy Peak (9)
1: Behind the table in Boggy's igloo
2: Behind the Christmas tree
3: In a corner of the stack of presents opposite the tree
4: Under one of the Sir Slush snowmen
5: Under another Sir Slush
6: Ride the sledge down the big snowman's scarf
7: Outside the big snowman's left leg
8: Outside the big snowman's right leg
9: Above the flight pad on the house's chimney
10: In the freezing water, under the big snowman's shadow

Rusty Bucket Bay (5)
2: On a barrel in the toxic slime
3: Across the Toll 4 bridge, in the left crate on a shelf
10: Under a table in the navigation room (break a window)
11: At the far end of the ship (not the end with the Rare flag)
13: In the engine room, on the left as you enter the main room

Click Clock Wood (7-8)
Spring:
4: Start climbing the tree, it's on a branch near a Snarebear
8: Just before you get to Eyrie's nest

Summer:
9: Behind Gnawty's boulder
13: Start climbing the tree, jump across the leaves, it's above the Jiggy
15: On the platforms leading to Eyrie's nest
Depends on Route: 14: On the same branch as 4

Autumn:
18: On a leaf off the same branch as 4 and 14
19: On a leaf near the tree house
Mumbo route looks good. All in all I think it works out about the same. I didn't know there was one behind him in the crypt, thanks for that.

Quote:
5: At the back of the hedge maze

I think this one can be exchanged, I sometimesmuse it, sometimes don't but i'm sure it's not the quickest.

Quote:
9: Above the flight pad on the house's chimney

This one is a very bad idea. Getting on top of that chimney is hit and miss, ive been forced to use it at times in runs and its taken me upto 7 backflips to get ontop. I don't understand why you need to use that flightpad anyway :S I guess i'll have to see your route.

An easy substitue (off the top of my head) for one of those 2 is in Click Clock Wood in Spring when you first run in, there's one in a venus fly trap, you can jump in and get that one, you get hit but who cares, it's super quick.
Oh, crap lol... wasnt meant to include the one above the chimney in FP. I know exactly what you mean with flap flipping up to the chimney. I haven't created a proper route for FP yet, so I'm still wondering whether we should do the majority of the level before GV or after MMM. Sami waits for after MMM, but he hasn't finished the level yet; really looking forward to the final route when he does. :/

The hedge maze one is used in the route Sami uses for Mad Monster Mansion, you might want to view the video for that if you havent already. I believe Cyber posted a download link earlier on in the topic; if not I'll post one again soon if you need it. Everything in the MMM tas route can be done on console with some practice, including the well with Banjo if you're good enough with your swimming control.

And yes, there's two tokens in the same fly trap you're talking about in Spring and Autumn respectively. I believe the list I gave below gave 71 tokens anyway, so it depends on routes for Click Clock Wood. I might try and get a route written up for that soon, as well as a new video for my TTC sub-9.30 route.
With Freezeezy Peak. I think I wrote down a route once which gets a reasonable time (I think I got about 15.45 once) and do everything the first time you go in, then I come back to use the running shoes after MMM. Probably wait for after MMM either way because we need to activate the Jiggy in Gruntilda's eye. Still don't know whats the best for freezeezy itself. How hard is the dive bomb into the snowmans pipe to do? Cause that's a sweet trick in the TAS. If that can be done id love to.
Could I please get a link to the TAS of bk?
Here's the first tas video.

You can find the other videos in the Related Videos area. They go up to part 6. The videos don't have sound btw.
The beak bomb into the snowman's pipe... I haven't gotten it to work yet. I tried at least half a dozen times on one particular file and couldn't get it to work. My theory is that I was hitting it from the side, and you can't quite get Kazooie's beak thru the pipe from there, that you have to aim your first shot right so that you hit it square on from the bottom of the pipe to collect it. That in itself seems a bit tricky seeing as there's less surface area of the jiggy to make contact with (think about it, normally if you're beak bombing into a jiggy you're hitting the large square face from head on, but in this case you're hitting a small edge of the object while it's rotating...)

Give it a shot and see if you can get it to work, I suppose. If it doesn't quite work out, no big deal, only wastes a couple of seconds (5 for the jiggy if you beak buster into the pipe instead of messing around trying to get it in mid flight, then a couple more jumping out and onto the sled).

Oh and btw: the videos uploaded to Youtube for the TAS don't include the most recent segment (Mad Monster Mansion) since whenever that part was recorded the files would corrupt for whatever reason.
Something to note on Freezeezy is that if you help the twinklies to make the switch apear behind the tree. It will still be there after you leave the world. So if we come in to get the beak bomb and then use the sled to get out of there (ike the TAS) When we come back in we ma be able to use a better route rather than having to activate the switch again. But I dont know how this would work.
I did some testing for the twinklies a while ago, and it isn't really going to change anything if you decide to free them on the first trip. The only thing you can do without picking up the jiggy during the first trip is free them to activate the switch. You can't shoot the switch and fly through the star on the first trip as well; the glass covering the jiggy inside the tree will return.
Hey, sorry I havn't been posting much lately. The truth is I havn't had much to post and havn't been playing much lately. As far as i can tell I am ready to give the run a try, but am still being greedy in waiting for the TAS to see if there are any more significant time skips.

The collywobble glitch skip. If you do a backflip where the yellow flowers are it is very easy to make it up onto the platform. This probably wastes another couple of seconds running around but depending where the colliwobble is, it might work out the same or better. Ive tried this a few times but it's pretty difficult completing the rest of Spiral Mountain with this route as i'm not used to it yet and there's some weird camera angles.

Oh and I have been practising Tickers Tower quite a lot and have made significant improvements. It is sometimes easier to use a beak bank thingy (jump + Z) to get up the last ledge, especially on the second platform. Personal Prefference. Ive pulled off a 6.04 and a 6.02 times for Mumbo's Mountain as a whole with a few minor mistakes, so no doubt the new route is faster.
Um, the last level of Ticker's tower should be easy if you're doing it the way I do; that is to jump onto the left side of the long platform first, then jump and feathery flap up to the right side and the top edge of it, then jump up again to the final platform just before the door. I'm not sure if you're talking about that part or the bottom level, though.

In SM, I usually flap flip in the yellow grass, by rolling into it from the grass and towards the wall, then hitting A before the slowdown of the roll attack kicks in. Not sure if that's easier though.

Next route we should get a hold on would be Click Clock Wood I think, since it's quite easy to finish stuff up there with the information we have now. Then Gobi's Valley since we forgot about that, then Mad Monster Mansion, although I would think the ideal route would just be the one Sami uses. If we tackle the game like that, then Sami might be finished Freezeezy by the time we get up to that.
excelent. end of the year should be a good goal at the latest id hope.
Still on the hunt for the right equipment to upload etc
I was going to show an alternate TTC route, but recording equipment isn't working for me right now. Not sure when I'll have that sorted.