Smiley
Sad
<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Hello All, I'm the eternal lurker ZX497 referenced.  I mostly hang out helping newbies on Twitch.

I've been researching what I can of the game as far as what you can do in-game.  I've considered using the tool 1670C referenced above (since I've had it for a long while) but I'm not at that point yet.

There's a lot already on the thread and it would take a mega-post to add my additional 2 cents, so I'm not going to add more on anything before this post.  I'm exception-ing the hot topic.

Also, I am probably able to get a hold of an unpatched PS4 AV in the next week, and I'm going to test what can be done there to lower %.  I have a theory that you can get lower than 10% on it.

Also, for skipping Field Disruptor (Hi-jump) aside of the Password Tool (which doesn't save your score if you use augmenting code [AXIO]) you can't.  There are a handful of jumps necessary where you can't damage boost.  If you end up managing to get it, you'd otherwise need the grapple before you get to your next vertical augment being the Trenchcoat.  Example jumps are Zi pre-Uruku vertical climb, the 2nd to last jump appears non-damage boost-able, as well as the Ukkin-Na Climb with the wall heads the first time you jump on the sidewall.  For the latter, I'm not even sure if Grapple sans Hi-jump will cut it, as the overhang is pretty high too.

I'm pretty comfortable in saying Field Disruptor (Hi-jump) is a mandatory item aside of Konami Code trick.

Also for my stand on runs, Any% is my for-fun run.  Lowest% is my serious mode.  I'm going to help path 100%, but unless it actually sticks in my brain, I don't think I'll run it.
Edit history:
1670C-beaver: 2015-07-28 01:22:11 am
1670C-beaver: 2015-07-28 12:46:15 am
Ok, I've confirmed that you can get the purple things in kur breach pockets.

Below 10% should be possible in the current version of the game. My current 10% run doesn't skip the sudran key, and it should be on the lower end of the window for rounding to 10% (since ZX497's run got an extra item and is still listed as 10%). I'm planning on updating that run after I've found out whether hi-jump skip is possible. Skipping the kilver should drop it to 8%, if I had to guess. I don't feel like figuring out how many items are in the game, but you could calculate that if you knew. Drone through walls may also lead to a skip or two if you can get that earlier version, but I'm not sure.

My idea for skipping the high jump was that having access to that platform warp in a kur breach pocket could allow you to platform warp past every ledge that should require hi-jump, at least up to the trenchcoat. I haven't actually tested this, and if I can't prove that you could get a usable breach pocket then I probably won't try.

EDIT: actually, you won't be able to access that breach pocket during the hallucination. I'm betting that climb requires hi-jump; I'll check that later.
Edit history:
ZX497: 2015-07-28 10:11:29 am
ZX497: 2015-07-28 10:10:39 am
ZX497: 2015-07-28 10:01:43 am
ZX497: 2015-07-28 09:58:16 am
Skipping the Sudran-Key hits the lower 10% (without grapple), it's not 9%. This is why I was confused when it first happened, cause I skipped an extra item compared to before, and still hit the same percentage. So, you would need to skip one more item for 9%, be that Hi-Jump or something else. Like, our 10% runs were identical as far amount of items is considered: Your extra item was the Sudran-Key, mine was Grapple. Both are high 10%.

Also, yeah I think the hallucination part is impossible without Hi-Jump. You might be able to get Grapple instead of Hi-Jump doing the Kur breach pocket shenanigans, which might make for an alternate lower 10%. This way you would have a much easier time against the final boss, as you could grab the Reverse Slicer and cheese the final boss from the outside. Not sure if actually getting Grapple is possible without Hi-Jump, tho.

EDIT:

Hallucination is impossible even with just Grapple alone, you definitely need Hi-Jump there no matter what. When I was messing around with that (doing some AXIO-code shenanigans to skip getting Hi-Jump), I ran into this:

http://i.imgur.com/VTiujCG.jpg

It's the hallucination clone-dude! He appears at the top-left door and runs through it as you enter the area. I think he actually always spawns there, but we just can't see him cause he immediately takes off when we get there, and he's not in full-view when entering the room proper.
Edit history:
1670C-beaver: 2015-07-28 10:26:59 am
Yeah, I noticed that guy there before. If you approach him from below (as you normally would), you can see him for a second or so before he runs off. I wonder where else he shows up that we don't know about.

If we both got the same number of items, then why does my run show up above yours in the in-game leaderboard? You certainly got a better time than I did. Do some items count for higher % than others or something?

Also, I'm pretty sure you could do hallucination with grapple and no hi-jump, since having grapple allows you to grapple clip and exit the hallucination early. You could save in it and then make your way to a platform to warp to the top. I'm not sure if you could even reach the ceiling of athetos' room to do that grapple strat though. I don't suppose anyone's managed to grapple clip through the laser blocking access to ukkin-na through indi? That would make it possible to skip glitch gun 2 and hi-jump at the cost of getting grapple. I think.
Edit history:
ZX497: 2015-07-28 12:41:34 pm
I've no idea how the leaderboards rank "tie" situations for low%. My best guess is the same as yours: some items give slightly more %. Like, maybe Sudran-Key is 0.8% and Grapple is 0.9% or something.

Regarding grappling out of the hallucination, maybe. I actually through that was one of the things that was patched, but I just checked and it definitely does work. Still a big if getting to Grapple, tho!

EDIT:

So apparently it's possible to get in the Trenchcoat room doing death warping at Ukkin-Na during the hallucination part. You can even use the doors there to reset the camera, but still can't get the Trenchcoat: instead there's one of those purple "item orbs" in there, with nothing inside. Also, for some reason one of those annoying little orbs that follow you around during the hallucination is inside that room.
Even if it doesn't save us any %, I'm still going to try to route that. It seems like fun, and maybe the athetos fight won't be so horrible anymore. It still depends on getting that clutch breach pocket though. I don't know exactly how the game decides where they can spawn, but there seem to be some valid spots in the first room in kur and in the hi-jump room. I guess I could try to pick apart their spawning algorithm, but I'd really rather not have to.
Yeah, many of the rooms in ukkin-na that you shouldn't be able to access during the hallucination still have hallucination versions. With purple orbs instead of all the items, of course.
After trying a couple runs and failing due to a bug (that got patched early) of accessing the Passcode Tool without Konami code, I'm right behind the Sudra Key skip before sleeping last night.  I tried the skip a couple times, and I just get stuck on the Key room save until I jump or teleport.  I'm not sure if this is due to v1.0 not zipping the way the Steam version does, or if I'm just bad at it.  ZX497 help clarification?

Just to note, Ukhu is significantly harder in v1.0 (I read in patch notes that it got lowered around 1.03) and not having Kilver makes it that much harder.  I believe you require 3 bugs for the instant kill, and your weapon shots tend to prioritize hitting Ukhu over the bugs.

The drill pass thru walls is definitely a v1.0 only thing.  Not the "you can't it anyway on other versions because patch," but it's because in v1.0, the drill when triggered slightly isn't in drill form.  The 4 lasers are perpendicular to the gun until about 60% triggered.  Along with the laser base able to be 1 block forward of Trace, and your running animation also forwarding you by a pixel or 2 than your X variable, this is why it works.  No button, weapon select, drill mash.  You can actually have the laser consistently appear no problem.  It is speedrunning material, especially since you can skip to getting Kilver early for Any%.  If Kilver's power is necessary.

If the Sudra Key skip works in v1.0, 9% is real, but I still need to test more.
Edit history:
ZX497: 2015-07-28 02:32:42 pm
The height of the purple guys outside of Gir-Tab plays a big part in making the Sudran Key Skip, you need to die on one of them at about this height:

http://i.imgur.com/4i2ktE9.jpg

Higher should be fine, lower might not. If the height is not correct, exactly what you mentioned will happen: you will just get put in the save room. It's a bit finicky.

Also, cheers for the clarification about the Kilver stuff.
Edit history:
1670C-beaver: 2015-07-28 02:48:47 pm
As I mentioned before, the platform robot in ukkin-na is always at the right height for sudran key skip, provided you can manage to actually die on it. The way out-of-bounds works in this game is that all out-of-world areas are considered solid. When Trace respawns the game doesn't check him for collision until he stands up, so if you're drifting sideways you'll pass through solid tiles. Once you do stand up, you'll teleport to the last spot you were in where you weren't colliding with anything. If there is no such spot (i.e. you were stuck out-of-bounds during your entire respawn animation) you'll be teleported back to the save room you should've loaded into.

FYI, the platform robot is about 1 screen above the bottom of the room with the "iskart ehanzu" barrier. The upper e-kur-mah save is directly above that room, so dying on the platform robot will load you into that room no matter which direction it makes you drift.

EDIT: note that respawning out-of-world isn't the only way to get yourself kicked back to the save room. If you try to load into a valid room but are colliding with solid tiles in that room, it'll still fail.
Thanks ZX497, I'm guessing that's using the purple shrimp that spawns right in front of the save room?  I've used that one and lured him all the way to the top, and I guess that might have been too much.  Given said finicky nature, I'll give it much more tries.

Interesting 1670C, That looks like a tricky landing off a damage boost.  I'm also guessing that the platform un-hacked will work just fine.

I also forgot to mention that I had theorized that you'd be able to skip the Red Coat entirely.  This is not the case that I tested last night.  I thought maybe you could drill through 1-block walls above you as well, but you can't.  We get to drill thru 1-block walls on our sides, and diagonally only.  Thus the Ukkin-Na "elevator" is secure in requiring the Red Coat.
Edit history:
ZX497: 2015-07-28 03:38:33 pm
After trying the Ukkin-Na robot, yeah I can confirm that works nicely (speaking 1.08 here). Then you'll just have to cross the last yellow snake room and done. You might wanna spawn ASAP, to assure you don't drift too far to the side... didn't test if that makes a difference. Also, you do have to enter a downwards door blind after the warp, but it's no big deal cause the ground is flat: after the warp, make a small hop (you might be hovering mid-air after spawning), walk all the way right, then just slowly make your way left while tapping down.

Cool stuff, I think this is definitely the best option for the skip now!

There is a pretty decent setup to land on the robot too. Glitch both the enemy and the robot, and hop on top of the robot with low health. Then shortly before the robot reaches the very left-side of the platform it's walking on, you just jump up on the snail-ledge and wait on the edge, the snail'll knock you on the robot as it's going right. There's a little bit of fine tuning you need to do, by either jumping up on the ledge early or late, depending on the position of the snail, but all in all it's fairly consistent.
Awesome, thanks for the detailed set-up.  I will be able to see if this works tonight provided that I'm not prior-planned.

I wish I could stream the testing, but it's not my PS4.  I'll see if my crap-top can handle an elgato recording session.
The distance you drift after using the robot doesn't matter. There's nothing to either side of you once you respawn, so if you drift out of the room you'll just teleport back to it once your collision loads.
Apparently, there are more mystery rooms in this game than just the one in mar-uru. I found myself in one after zipping off the "ikkibu labiru" barrier. I'll figure out how to point the camera at them at some point.
So here's a fun softlock: set your jump power to maximum, then jump up toward a vertical door and hit drone at the same time. Your drone will stay in the room you're in, but trace and the camera will advance to the room above. You'll then lose all control. Enjoy.

Also, if you jump into a solid ceiling and do this, trace will sometimes disappear. I think he clips up into the ceiling, but it doesn't work everywhere. I only got it while testing in gir-tab's room.
Edit history:
ZX497: 2015-07-29 02:35:03 am
ZX497: 2015-07-29 02:32:24 am
Huh, that's pretty interesting. Somewhat similar to the "Vision"-softlock, and also similar to the softlock you get if you exit the final boss room right as the cutscene is about to trigger. Speaking of that, you can carry the final boss cutscene to other areas, by first skipping the cutscene trigger when entering the room (it has to be your first visit so the cutscene actually plays), then initiating the fight (while still avoiding the cutscene trigger), and finally dying during the fight, and getting boosted into the cutscene trigger. Haven't found anything particularly neat to do with this, tho, you can just carry the cutscene around, and once it's finished, you get to listen to the final boss music in whatever area you're in.

Also, I wonder if you could have your drone die after doing the transition softlock? You'd have to make the drone land in a stage hazard of some kind, and I dunno if there's any area where that's possible...

EDIT:

Well, at Edin there is the Address Bomb wall right next to the upward-leading door, and you can blow up the drone against that immediately. Nothing interesting happens, at least if the drone visibly blows up as you're heading up the door: Trace stands up like usual and you regain control in the other room.
Edit history:
ZX497: 2015-07-29 08:36:18 am
ZX497: 2015-07-29 07:36:22 am
ZX497: 2015-07-29 07:24:01 am
Ok, I finally found another secret world weapon, and it turned out to be the Scissor Beam. This thing shoots through walls (!), and has a ridiculous range on top of that, on par with Reverse Slicer and the Flamethrower. Contrary to my own theory, E-Kur-Mah and Mar-Uru aren't the only locations for secret world weapons either, I found this one at Edin.

Other stuff worth of note:

- If you grapple swing into a secret world, you'll get put waaaaaaay out of bounds. Trying to do this the other way, coming from the secret world back outside, is a lot more specific due to how the game usually prevents your grappling near the SW-entrance. Can be potentially used to warp to another location, though.
- It is possible to clip through two blocks, not just one, vertically using the AXIO-code that boosts your jump power (AXIOUS-Y50PTK).
- Another neat trick with the AXIO-code super jump is that you can also clip by swinging off of Grapple. It's kinda rare, but clipping through one-block thick ceilings can happen if you grab the roof, reel yourself all the way in, and then just hold a direction. This actually allows you to explore the left-side of Ukkin-Na before you finish the hallucination, and like 1670C-beaver said, there's nothing there to collect, just purple containers with nothing inside. And a game crashes if you try to leave going right... as such saving in there results in permanent loss of that savefile, since you're stuck.

EDIT:

Clipping through more than one block just by using the super jump -code might be a lag issue. The more the game lags the better chances you have at clipping through stuff (I got as many as 4 blocks just now by messing around with it). Maybe clipping in general just by using jump is related to lag and nothing more?

Also apparently if you try to use the Drone without the Lab Coat, the game will crash. Might be cause the regular outfit doesn't have a crouch-sprite for the Drone?
So the death-warp works on v1.0.  I got it once within the half-hour of testing; I'm going to have to practice this timing more.

Yes, there are 3 hidden world weapons, but a given save can only have one of them (Confirmed by Tom Happ via Twitter) at a time.  They are the Heatseeker, Scissor Beam, and Fat Beam. (Think Spartan Laser from Halo 3, or just a Trace-tall Ion Beam)

The AXIO jump-clips are because of how fast Trace moves against frame rate (we're going so meta now) of the game.  In order to actually make Trace move anywhere, he needs to move X pixels per frame as per action called.  With gravity on 0 and jump strength on max, he's jumping somewhere in the ballpark of 2 tiles worth of pixels per frame.  So he's pseudo-teleporting now!

If you guys want to try (I haven't tested) doing max gravity during "the drop" room in Ukkin-Na he may clip through the bottom, unless there's a terminal velocity programmed in that's less than a grid tall per frame.  Just a theory.
Edit history:
ZX497: 2015-07-29 01:18:33 pm
How many blocks of clip does PS4 get, btw? For PC it should definitely depend on the computer.

Also, Fat Beam also shoots through terrain? Wow, ok. So, this weapon is pretty ridiculous.
Not sure on PS4 (can test after work) but I'm normally on Steam, and being on an i7 I get 2 blocks.  I can also test later on my laptop which can play only some parts of the game at full speed, it starts having trouble at Zi to near un-play-ability.
Edit history:
1670C-beaver: 2015-07-30 12:49:12 am
1670C-beaver: 2015-07-29 10:36:19 pm
1670C-beaver: 2015-07-29 10:08:57 pm
Cool find on that grapple + breach pocket glitch. There may yet be hope for hi-jump skip. Man, I really want it to be able to work. I love being able to skip movement items in metroid games.

I think your fall speed does max out. The gravity setting affects your downward acceleration, not your speed caps.

It's interesting that super jump clip is affected by lag. I wonder if you can skip the red coat barrier in ukkin-na if you lag the game hard enough. That is actually the only place in the game you need the red coat, since after breaking into mar-uru you could platform warp straight to athetos.

EDIT: did you manage to actually find anywhere where you actually could swing out of a breach pocket with the grapple? I've checked a few and I haven't found any spots where it's possible. I found one where there was a grappleable surface 4 tiles from the door, but it was barely not close enough. The number of non-grappleable tiles near the door doesn't seem fixed though, so maybe it's possible for there to be 2 or less.

EDIT2: I did find a spot where you can swing from a breach pocket into the main map, and sadly the glitch doesn't happen. I did find another glitch with breach pockets though. If you stand in front of one and shoot a drone at it (without the drone launch upgrade), the drone's egg will appear to go out of bounds and fall forever. If you hatch the egg remotely, the drone will reappear somewhere in the room you're in. I'm not sure how the game decides where to put the drone, though; it seems to always be somewhere near trace, but it does vary considerably.
The glitch DOES work the other way too, I did find one breach pocket where I managed to swing out of it, and it put me to another spot in Absu (a few tiles lower, and several tiles further left than usual). Another pocket I had provided the same result you got: after swinging out, nothing happened. I think that one might been just a little bit too far off to make the glitch trigger.
Oh, good. If you haven't deleted it yet, could you post a screenshot of the breach pocket you got the glitch to work with?
http://i.imgur.com/hde5xBd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TtjoXOq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ulzcjyg.jpg