--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Awakening: The Dreamless Castle () (pc) [Any %] [Segmented]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Michael 'arglefumph' Gray!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Awakening: The Dreamless Castle () (pc) [Any %] [Segmented]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/awakeningdreamlesscastle-20151023/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
will tackle this
A/V sounds too loud except segment 12

It's difficult to tell how much faster clicking could be because these games often have built-it delays after each click. If you wanted to build up your mouse speed and accuracy separately, maybe look into a game like Osu!. Just an idea. Because if you're going to do a lot of this type of game, I just don't know what else you can do to help yourself get better. Or this. My best score was 14/2 for epic and tiny settings. My own skills come from FPS games.

There's a somewhat unorthodox decision made by the runner in the last segment: he kept one of the skippable cutscenes that came before gameplay was over instead of just the last one. I don't know what to make of that :/ As he says it doesn't affect in-game time but it's just atypical in any case and probably shouldn't be done again seeing as you're supposed to skip every cutscene that you can even if it's in-game time.

Accept provided the runner does some guy games too at some point :/ How about a good old solid Sherlock murder mystery eh? Or Myst. Or The 7th Guest? Everyone else has bailed out of The 7th Guest so far... It's probably because it has no sources of frustration at all. I don't know if anyone thought about segmenting it yet.

Or The Incredible Machine? That's about as "boy" a game as they get.

accept
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
I'll handle this one too.
Edit history:
mrprmiller: 2015-11-23 07:31:58 am
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
Quote:
Accept provided the runner does some guy games too at some point
- LOLOL

A/V good (I don't really have a issue with it being too loud).

http://speeddemosarchive.com/lang/faq_en.html - Per the FAQ:
Quote:
If a game allows cutscenes to be skipped, then we require runners to skip them, and they are probably not interested in watching them for the hundredth time either.

I'm really not sure how I feel about that last segment because of it.  I know we are running off of the in-game timer, but... ack.  Would the runner be up for re-recording that last segment with the cutscene skipped?  It's not a long cutscene at all, but it would be more in line with the SDA rules.

That being said, the game play and puzzle solving is definitely fast enough.  Those delays in mouse clicks are frustrating, but I know a thing or two about them because my Quest for Glory series has them in the strangest places.  I would like to know about the timing difference that a single-segment would be.

Accept.  If it is SDA acceptable, I'll tack that re-record of the last segment on as a requirement for my accept.  Because it's the final segment, it can be done from the previous attempts without ruining the rest of the segments.  Otherwise, one short cutscene isn't enough for me to reject.
Thanks for pointing out the issue about the cutscenes. Since this game will be timed based on the in-game timer and considering how short they are, I don't think we're going to make a big story about not skipping them. Leaving them in is not something that is encouraged though.
Decision posted.
Looks like I'll have to do the pirate game next! That's cool. I like pirates.

Yeah, keeping the cutscene in the last segment was a dumb decision on my part. I would be willing to re-record that segment.

A single segment for this game wouldn't be out of the question, provided that you can figure out a good way to work around the hidden objects challenges. Playing casually, it takes me about two minutes to complete a single hidden objects challenge. I'm really bad at them. Other than that, there are about 14 puzzles with the potential to cause problems, but none of them should waste more than 20-30 seconds, at most. So...a good single segment would be within four minutes of this run's time. The second and third place times for this game both fall within that time frame.
"the pirate game"

Don't tell me that's a pirate-themed adventure by the same developer.