Sad
12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
my hat is my friend
So basically, our panel at AVCon was awesome, everyone seemed to have fun and get along, it was a great time and from what I can tell we're all itching to get our own thing off the ground. AVCon staff were super accommodating, and aside from minor technical issues everything ran well, however we were confined by the limitations of being at the convention.

SO, for next year, we'd like to look at setting up in our own venue for a longer period of time, and thus begins the planning phase.

1. Organization team. I'm not running this by myself, Softman's not running this by himself - we need to spread everything out amongst a group for decisionmaking/peace of mind. Nobody can take this on alone, so anyone willing to put in a bit of time and effort and work in a group to sort this out, say so! We're a community, after all!

2. VENUE. This is the big one and something we need to sort out sooner rather than later. Ideally we want a house setup, think early GDQs/RPG Limit Break etc. Since this is still a small marathon, something inexpensive is for the best.

I can offer my house in Brisbane, for a start, but please, please, pleeaaaase share other options here. Pros and cons of my suggestion under the spoiler tag.
Pros:
- It's a house, yay.
- Sizeable, large lounge room with comfy couch and kitchen access, as well as other rooms for sleeping/practicing/socializing.
- Not CBD, but on the train line, access to supermarkets and takeaway joints. (Many are somewhat more expensive but we can get pizza and if McDonalds is still delivering, we can get that too).
- 35/1 internet. Not amazing, but workable.
- Good TV that can be set up for streaming from with limited difficulty. Space for computer setup in the lounge also. Already set up PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360.
- Computer is decent.
- Nearby booze.
Cons:
- No fibre, no sign of fibre any time soon. Internet will not get any better.
- Walking will be involved to get to decent supermarkets/fast food that is inexpensive.
- It's Brisbane - people will be less inclined to travel to somewhere not Sydney/Melbourne/possibly Adelaide.
- If a large amount of people come by, sleeping arrangements may get awkward.
- I have to kick my dad out of the house, he might not like that.
- probably a bunch of other shitty things I'm forgetting. TonyAbbott b

3. Time. How long the marathon will run, when in the year it will be...those sorts of things. Share opinions!

4. Interest. Who's keen?

5. Charity? We mentioned possibly Beyond Blue in Skype, as a suggestion. Do people want this to be a charity marathon? Any other charity suggestions?

Anyway, those are some points to start us off, anyone has any other points of discussion, just post them here. Hope this doesn't seem too overbearing or anything!
Thread title:  
Will offer my sound tech support, i guess i'm good for that.
I offer my help organising, and my apartment in Canberra as another potential venue. Pros/cons?

Pros:
- It's actually a pretty big main room for a flat, could probably handle 10-15 people with cramped sleeping arrangements, or about 20 with cramped everything.
- Couches you can sink into
- I have Wii/WiiU/360/PS2/N64/NTSC-J N64/SNES/Super Famicom already set up
- I have NBN. Currently on 25/5, but can go to 100/40.
- Really close to a town centre, with decent options for supermarkets/fast food

Cons:
- While fairly big, it is still an apartment.
- There's not a great variety in cheap food options
- Basically nothing is open at night in Canberra
- I don't currently have a computer that can handle HD streaming well, but that would almost certainly be sorted by the time this happens
- No real practice room; it's just the main room and the bedroom, so if we wanted to practice, we'd need to get creative with space
- People don't like Canberra, it seems

I think maybe three days, or 48 hours, is a good length for this event. Factoring in travel time, I'm not sure how many people can afford to go away for longer than a weekend, which this almost certainly would be on. If we did a 48 hour marathon over a long weekend, it would probably be best, at this point.

And Beyond Blue looks good for the charity. There's also Cancer Council, if we wanted to donate for cancer research.
I'm in Brisbane so that works for me. I could possibly travel somewhere else if need be. I don't have much to offer other than I run Super Metroid and am willing to help out with whatever I can.
Edit history:
turb0liam0: 2015-07-26 04:55:23 pm
turb0liam0: 2015-07-26 04:52:24 pm
turb0liam0: 2015-07-26 04:51:31 pm
If we have a decent amount of runners in brisbane i could possibly sort out a little event at this lan event that i know the organisers of, Probably won't be streamed but can probably promise practice areas plus can guarantee a good audience, though this probably belongs in a different thread. If anybody would actually be keen for that though, then pm me or get me on skype or whatever.
OpieOP
I'm in North Qld so forget about hosting up here, but I'm keen to travel wherever for the event and to help out in any way I can.
DO THE MEATEO
Howdy,
1: I'm interested in helping organising, the amount of involvement would depend on how my PhD is going at the time.

3: Length - Around 48 - 60 hours sounds good over a long weekend.
4: Would love to attend too if I can afford it. Should have learned a few more insanely long RPGs by then to take up time Smiley
5: Sure, let's raise money for charity. Beyond Blue sounds great, it gets advertised a lot on TV.
I have one suggestion on timing. We don't want it to conflict with big events like ESA, EVO, or SGDQ, so maybe a little later in the year (or earlier if we can get out stuff together in time).
Hi everyone.

A venue I could offer is at the University of Technology in Brisbane;  2, 34 Musk Avenue, Kelvin Grove QLD 4059, Australia. I'm part of the International Game Developer's Association and each year we hold a 48 Hour game making challenge. There is a large bookable room for events and presentation galleries; shown in the first 30 seconds of this video:

When not in use the room is completely empty. There are several other smaller rooms nearby and a subway and supermarket across the road.

Pros/Cons of the university
Pros:
- Lots of space and other rooms for naps.
- Mics, cameras and most other electrical equipment can be hired from the university.
- Access to university internet for streaming.
- Close to food.
- Multiple toilet facilities.
- Weekend parking is much more available.

Cons:
- The infra-structure and equipment cost money. I've been told to find sponsors to foot the bills. Still looking around.
- There is no sleeping facilities. People will need to bring their own if they want to nap.
- Commercial accommodation is scarce in the area (Quest Kelvin Grove is pretty much it).
- We'd have to lock in the event a fair bit ahead of time since most of the community uses this place.

To make this happen we'll need to know that we can do 48 hours of running so the faster we get an estimate on numbers the better. Here is a link to an online excel sheet, where you can put down your name, the game(s) you want to run and time estimates. There is also a section to say whether you need or could provide accommodation for fellow runners. I'd be able to host up to 4 people at my place if 2 brought sleeping gear.
As for a charity, I like the Kid's Cancer Project. They're non-profit and the money goes to research.

Any questions, worries or oversights I've made; reply or email me at isaacsheehy@gmail.com.

I'd love to help make this happen.
Alright well, if we're in Brisbane i can offer my PC for any streaming or practice related stuff, Can potentially store 1 or 2 person(s) at my place, I can also supply some decent audio gear including mics and potentially a small mixing desk for the venue as i'm currently investing in one.
I think the key question is when in the year the event would occur.

Currently I am still considering / discussing with people on whether AVCon 2016 is a thing for speedrunning. If this Uni Brisbane event (I dunno what else to call it at this point... Tongue ) was to occur it may lean towards a no - however this would potentially be a disappointment to AVCon people - given that they would have less content and all that. But if it's far away enough from that July date - it's still a possibility.
Dammit, I forgot to mention my suggested date. I was thinking the first weekend of June because it's close to the financial year end and is a perfect time to ask for recoverable donations.

I've gotten quotes for the university buildings and they look to be around $5,000 to $10,000 for the weekend, starting Friday night and finishing on Sunday night. I'm on good terms with the organizers who rent the block each year for the 48 hour game making challenge so I'll ask them about arranging sponsorships to cover the cost. I'll also be sending off some emails to the organizers of GDQ to ask for their advice on sponsorship and setup.

As for a name, I've thought of "River City Running", "Oz Games Done Quick" (will have to ask permission), or "Down Under Runner Marathon".
Edit history:
turb0liam0: 2015-08-28 04:09:02 am
turb0liam0: 2015-08-27 10:29:23 am
Actually, there was another place we had called the Edge near the city which i found that would provide good internet and some equipment, however the cost of having the venue was going to cost us just over $1,000 for internet and overnight fares, That's granted it also has to be a charity event. That's substantially cheaper than the QUT venue but i'll wait for everyone's opinion as I'm still down for whatever goes on. I'll probably write up a pro's and cons of The Edge when i get the chance.

Edit: So Camilla did a pros/cons which i'll just steal cause why not ?

The Edge, State Library of Queensland. http://edgeqld.org.au/venue-hire/innovation-lab/ This is what Liam and I were able to check out today (the Mezzanine is another option but was in use so we were unable to look). The Innovation Lab is well set up and the Mezzanine, while it does not have the AV setup the Innovation Lab does, would also be suitable, I think.
+ Enthusiastic, friendly, helpful staff. It was really quite nice to talk to the staff there because they were very keen to help out and interested in what we were doing. That's a big plus, I feel. The woman we spoke to has already emailed me back with the application form which I'll be filling out in the next week or two (in order to get a price estimate).
+ Window areas for hanging out. There isn't really a good place for practicing, but we could hire out a couple of tables in the lobby for general talking and chilling out when not in the main room. Excellent for socialization, which is important. There is also a coffee shop there and there's a pretty outside area that looks out on to the river and to the city that is also good for hanging out.
+ Dedicated internet service. This is an added expense but we can use a solid internet connection that we wouldn't be sharing. Good uplink.
+ Plenty of powerpoints/ethernet cable links.
+ A/V setup including a projector. Extra setup would require hiring but most things we will be providing ourselves.
+/- Location: Good and bad points. Positive being that it's fairly central (the State Library is in South Brisbane, short walk from the South Brisbane train station and Cultural Centre bus station, right across the river from Roma Street station), negative being that there are no real food shopping areas within a 5 minute walk, there's no nearby supermarket and the best bet is the South Bank parklands. Also, while it's in a nice location, the room is quite open and airy, which is nice, but also makes it harder to control lighting.
- The floor is hard. Which sucks if you're probably going to want to take a nap in the corner at some point, like I no doubt will. Tongue Also the chairs aren't amazing, so we'd probably want to bring in a couch or something which is not going to be easy. The smaller room does have a couple of couches, though.
- Cost. This is the big one. It's not going to be cheap. It's going to be at the absolute least $1000 for the weekend, I imagine, with room hire, window bay hire, security, internet. The room itself is $440 for a day ($330 if we take the smaller option) so with two days of that, plus window bays and internet and anything else, we're going to be looking at a fair amount of money. I don't have an exact figure yet (I won't until I submit the form) but I will be sure to update this thread with that amount when I do.
Sounds good Geist. Keep us informed I guess, because if this happens so close to AVCon (which is mid July every year) we can take that off the table.

Not a big deal, since this looks like it would be a bigger and 'better' event. But obviously, I'll have to let the AVCon people know that an event is not likely to be successful, due to this other event.
Edit history:
Geistsieg: 2015-08-28 04:16:05 am
Geistsieg: 2015-08-28 04:15:20 am
turb0liam0's suggestion for The Edge is something I'd thought about investigating and it does seem much cheaper per day. However, I have been told that they charge premium fees for overnight events. I've lodged an inquiry form for a quote for 48 hours of running + 6 hours of set up/clean up. Here are some pics of the auditorium:
Softman25 makes a good point that a June event will be running too close to AVCon to make traveling to both events financially viable, and I've been told that the running in June will clash with university exam periods. This means a lot of uni runners will be too busy to practice or attend. We really shouldn't put people studying under any more pressure than they're already experiencing. In that case the best time to hold the event would be during the weekend before either semester begins; the first weeks of February or the first weeks of July. February seems a bit too soon, so I'm more inclined for July, but this sits right on AVCon again. However, I believe that we can put on an event with just as much polish as a GDQ and doing so will give Australian runners greater global recognition.

I'll let you guys know the hire cost for the Edge as soon as they get back to me. Same with the GDQ crew once I've sent them emails tomorrow. Let me know what you think about the timings I've suggested and don't forget to add yourself to the online spreadsheet if you're interested; it'll help give us an idea of numbers.

Edit: turb0liam0 just beat me to a post about the Edge venue. >.<
So did you go to the venue? Will that size be enough for I assume 25 of us?

I also just realized that will will have to hire other rooms for people to warm up in. But if the prices are relatively low, I'm sure I can get enough sponsors to cover it and I'd be willing to chip in $1,000 myself.
Edit history:
turb0liam0: 2015-08-28 04:20:08 am
My place is like legit right around the corner from the edge yes i have checked the venue, also if we wanna set up any practice kinda stuff, my place is viable however it is a small apartment so I'd ideally not wanna have a crap ton of people in here. You could test all your stuff here though. I just don't own any specific hardware like a CRT or anything but i could look into obtaining one. Talk to me on skype or something Geis?
I sent a PM.
Just got off the phone with The Edge. They can give us a room for 48 hours + set up/break down for $5,000 - $6,000 without the use of their technicians. This is the best price I've found so far by a huge margin.
Hi there!
I'm a new DKC1 speedrunner from Victoria.
I've been looking around to see if there are any speedrunning communities in Australia, and a fellow streamer told me about this.
I'm finishing high school this year, so I'm not sure I would be much help towards the organisation of this event. I thought I would just post here to show my interest in attending the event.
Smiley
Speedrunner | Competitive Smasher
Hey everyone.
I'm also from Victoria, and primarily run Super Smash Bros. 64 (Unlock All Characters)
A few months back, there was a Smash Bros. tourney and they looked like they had a good venue.
Their venue was CQ Hotel, Melbourne CBD.

I personally can not say anything about the venue since I didn't go to the tourney, but it could house a lot of people. However, if they are willing to allow a speed running marathon, that is beyond me.

Pros / Cons
+ Can house lots of people
+ A variety of fast food joints / restauraunts are around
———
- I can imagine it being really pricy
- Central Business District - It would be busy

That's all I cojld think of, since, as I said - I did not go to the Smash tourney.
As for the time - I would say next January is good "January 11/12 - ???(?)"
Mainly because for the people still in school - Before school begins and exam periods and Christmas is over until much later in the year. The only problem I can see for students not in Victoria is the price to get to Victoria.
Hope I helped!
- Ultra
Melbourne sounds sick if something does happen though Jan is around AGDQ time so be wary of that
Speedrunner | Competitive Smasher
That is true. January is around the time of AGDQ. Maybe even March/April could work since that's when all the school students are usually off of school due to breaks and as far as I am aware, there is no speedrunning marathon happening around that time.
I am more than willing to help out for any events around Brisbane.

One option may be a library. I know, for example, the Chermside Library allows 'hire' of meeting rooms, including after hours. Price is a very expensive, free for "non-profit and not registered charities". Of course if this is for a charity organisation, then discussions may need to be had. Facilities are pretty basic but rooms should comfortably hold up to 50 or so.

Two possible issues. The library provides free internet but I doubt this is to accomodate for an organised streaming event. Also I'm unsure about any possible sound restrictions. The rooms themselves are partitioned off and so sound may travel.

As for the date - I actually think January is good. As long as it is not on while AGDQ is running, then I don't see a big issue. A lot of business shut down over the break too so it is easier to find some time off for those of us working.