Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Softman25: 2015-03-22 05:14:34 pm
Softman25: 2015-03-22 05:12:10 pm
Softman25: 2015-03-22 05:11:54 pm
Softman25: 2015-03-22 05:11:08 pm
Softman25: 2015-03-22 05:10:01 pm
Softman25: 2014-11-23 03:05:08 am
Original OP spoilered for...because I can.

Alright, as you can see in the title to this thread, the date for AVCON for 2015 is July 18-19. (Technically it starts on the Friday (17 July) but we wouldn't be running / doing anything then, unless asked, which would be a special scenario - considered closer to the date.)

It is my intention to leave these sign ups open until 21 March, 2015 - so don't worry, you've got time to get things in order.

You will notice on the form it repeatedly warns you to not submit the form until you have your plans to get to Adelaide 100% sure. You'll all have to forgive me for the bluntness of the statement, but I can't schedule someone for the marathon without having absolute trust in their ability. Now, I'm willing to trust all of you - but I can't trust you if you don't trust yourselves. So please, I'll say it for the hundredth time - make your plans, then submit.

If you make plans, submit, and then have to pull out later, as long as it's not too 11th hour - that's cool, but please, let me know. I'm pulling in a few favors to get this gig to happen, and you better believe your cotton socks I'm going to do everything within my purview to make this event run as smoothly as is humanly possible.

Anyway, enough tirade, I'll hop off the soapbox and get on with the details...or at least as many as I have...

I'm just going to wall-of-text in everything I can think of. I'll probably forget details - so if you have questions, either post in the thread or bug me on Skype.

- If you are running a game at the marathon, we will be able to get you into the convention without paying ticket price for the day that you are running. If you're running on both days, naturally you'll get a free ticket for both days. For those running on one day but not the other, but want to attend the other day, I'm attempting to negotiate a deal which means you won't have to pay anywhere near full price for your ticket.

- It is my full intention to get this event streamed. But, please note it is an on site event, so if you can't get to Adelaide, sorry.

- At this point, we are looking at approx 15-20 hours of games over the two days. If there is enough support, we can run a second TV and not stream that. But we'll end up with double the video games, so that would be cool. At this point though, please take the assumption that we are not going to run a 'second setup'.

- After considering the submissions we receive, we will have to make a judgement on whether we age restrict our speedrun area or not. This means that we'll be able to run games that aren't just G and PG - but we'll have to lock the area off to anyone who is under 18, that doesn't have a parent or guardian there with them. This will obviously affect numbers - but it opens up what we can run. Another option is to have two areas of runs - one G/PG and the other mature. But again - that's a judgement call we'll make slightly closer to the date.

- When it comes down to submissions, the shorter the game the better. Remembering that at this point, we are assuming only 15-20 hours - so those 3 hour games are just too huge to put in. Please submit them by all means - because it might be a perfect excuse to get a second (or third if necessary!) setup going - but don't be surprised if your 6 hour Final Fantasy gets cut for length.

- On another note regarding submissions, please remember that with exception to the stream viewers, the primary on site audience, is going to be a bunch of people who don't even really know what speedrunning is. So the best games are ones that everyone knows and look impressive to the untrained eye (see e.g. Link to the Past any%, Super Mario 64, OoT any% - as they clearly have something peculiar going on the whole time - whereas say, Goldeneye - is really impressive - but only to the trained eye). Whilst submissions don't have to be THE perfect speedgame - again, please don't be surprised if some games get cut on the basis of being inappropriate for the audience in question. (However, this will naturally become far less of a problem if we get a second or third setup going - because cutting is going to be far less strict)

- We may consider some games for the 'main stage' - perhaps OoT or SM64 or something. Again, that's something we'll have to figure out closer to the date. (Hope you're not a nervous person - person who runs those games :P) That's also a matter out of my hands. We may be asked to provide some content for main stage - maybe not...

That's it for now, at least all I can think of at this point. Again, I've probably forgotten a million things. Please, by all means, ask - and I'll either answer, or seek an answer.

Remember to tell your friends and family. As said in the other thread, let's try make this a big deal. We're being handed a great opportunity here to do something cool as hell - no one here can do it alone, we all need each other, for both organisation back stage and boots on the ground. Good luck finding your way to Radelaide, and I'll see you all around.

Alright, now that we've got those sign ups out of the way - I can now release a full list of games submitted.

SUBMITTED GAMES LIST HERE

Additional notes at this point:

- Schedule is currently planned to be released before the end of April - more likely to be released mid-late April. This gives everyone ~ 3 months to make sure their game/s are all OK. However - I'm putting #1 priority as getting everyone at least 1 game - so if you only submitted one game - well...should be obvious. If you submitted more, you can guess, and I can probably give you an indication if you asked - but I would ask you not to quote me. My thoughts may just be objectively wrong - so if people point that out - I'll probably reverse my thinking.

- Over the next week or so, I'll be contacting everyone personally to confirm your submissions and nut out any little hiccups. This isn't because I don't trust anyone, so please don't take it personally! But by the same token, I just want to make sure all my ducks are in a neat little row. (i.e. no updates have to be made to estimates, that everything is accurate, etc. etc. Better to have some minor embarrassment at my bad transposing now than later.)

- On the previous note - if you feel anything is in error about the above sheet - don't hesitate to contact me. Or if you feel bad - wait for me to contact you. I'm really not that fussed, I did a 2 second copy-paste job - I wouldn't be surprised if I made an error somewhere.

Besides that, enjoy your practice. I'm actually going to have to start speedrunning again...so should be fun. Let the hyping commence.

EDIT: Important edit - given the sensitive nature of some of the info that's part of the sign ups - the sheet will not be distributed to the public. We'll release something down the track - in the interest of full disclosure - but it will be sanitised. EDIT: Now released.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
MrMutantDuck: 2014-11-23 03:35:51 am
MrMutantDuck: 2014-11-23 03:31:39 am
HYPE!!!!!

EDIT - Submitted my 3 games, all at around an hour each. Hope to see you all there and speed on!

EDIT 2 - God dammit, my Sanic entry was meant to say HERO story, not DARK story! Can someone please change it?
my hat is my friend
Submitted. It's uni holidays so I'll be there with bells on. Figuratively. Unless cosplay happens. My game's obscure kinda but it's short and it's pretty and really easy to set up - works on pretty much any PC and can be played off of a usb stick. I am fine with not playing it too, I'll still be there.
Quote from MrMutantDuck:
EDIT 2 - God dammit, my Sanic entry was meant to say HERO story, not DARK story! Can someone please change it?

Did it manually, no problems.
I don't think there's enough charact
I'll submit multiples just so we can have it be flexible.

It's a shame. Most of my games aren't exactly "impressive" to the untrained eye.

I'll pick up Super Meat Boy again. That should be good.
Edit history:
Softman25: 2014-12-02 01:39:19 am
Just regarding the following paragraph:

Quote:
On another note regarding submissions, please remember that with exception to the stream viewers, the primary on site audience, is going to be a bunch of people who don't even really know what speedrunning is. So the best games are ones that everyone knows and look impressive to the untrained eye (see e.g. Link to the Past any%, Super Mario 64, OoT any% - as they clearly have something peculiar going on the whole time - whereas say, Goldeneye - is really impressive - but only to the trained eye). Whilst submissions don't have to be THE perfect speedgame - again, please don't be surprised if some games get cut on the basis of being inappropriate for the audience in question. (However, this will naturally become far less of a problem if we get a second or third setup going - because cutting is going to be far less strict)

I think I miscommunicated the emphasis there. A comment I just made in the Skype chat I think rectifies any miscommunication:

Quote:
Then just submit whatever. If you're referring to that paragraph where I bollocksed on about audience - that's only going to be an issue if we get barely any submissions and go with one setup. [Late edit on this - at the rate the subs are going at this point - it's not looking likely] Like - my primary purpose would be to try give everyone at least one run. After that it might start getting to considerations of whether it's a 'good' speedgame. I mean as long as it's not bloody Minecraft random seed (sorry, its a terrible idea imo) or Minesweeper or some crap - go right ahead
Damn theres ganna be a speedrunning event in australia and its in Uni holidays sounds like some fun.
Having recounted submissions, after yesterday and today's flurry - we are now up to 25 games submitted with a total run time of 35 hours.

Obviously not all the games are going to be played - but it's still a really positive step!
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but I don't think i can make it anymore. I have a trip to see family in June and money is tight as is. Sorry once again.
All good, enough notice at least. Enjoy your trip!
Reminder to anyone interested that sign ups close tomorrow!

I'll probably actually be doing the work on Sunday evening - don't have all that much time tomorrow evening / Sunday morning - so you effectively have until about 10pm on a Sunday (or thereabouts) to get your games in.
Bump for significant OP edit.

Feels when only poster...
my hat is my friend
Congrats everyone on getting submissions in!

Feels bad when my run's a gimmick, but I'm just looking forward to going and meeting everyone and seeing everyone's cool speedgames. Smiley Also doing whatever I can to help out.

Also, we're totally playing speedrun backyard cricket at some point in the marathon, right? Tongue
That moment when ypu completely forget about putting an entry in because you were too busy practicing Sad

Regardless nice list there should be plenty of content!
First draft of the schedule is LIVE:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YODbT-01OIFh2IBrDqbM-krLYOHjR7uHDGFDN3Tf0Fw/edit#gid=176419370

Make your comments before Monday - or forever hold your peace - it'll be going for AVCon review on Monday.
Well, now that I can't go, of course there is going to be runs that I want to see Sad

Whatever, back to Twitch VOD's I guess :p
I knew I should check the forums more often because I missed out on this. Sad
my hat is my friend
We have a twitch page now! Hit it up with a follow! http://www.twitch.tv/ausspeedrunmarathon Smiley

Reminder that if you're not running but coming along you will have to buy a pass for the day(s) you wish to pop in. Those running will be able to pick up passes at the event.

If travelling from out of state, you'll have to get accomodation sorted out soon! The AV Con website has a few helpful links - and if anyone's still looking for accomodation, post here/in skype to organize things so you're (hopefully) not alone.

Just over a month to go, get hype!
my hat is my friend
GUYS THAT WAS AWESOME AND A GREAT TIME I HAD SO MUCH FUN AAAA

Seriously though, good shit. I'm glad we had a relatively drama free setup and all got along and played games and generally had a fun time. I hope to meet you all properly next time instead of awkwardly standing around and not knowing when to talk to people.

Look forward to ASS 2k16...or SpudCon or something. TonyAbbott b

(also shoutouts to Tony Abbott)