Sad
<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Plays games quickly. Eventually.
If we enjoy the meetup and want to do another one before we get a marathon happening, we might do a second one at my place at the end of the year. Travel will suck, but I should be able to offer accommodation. We'll work out details after the first meetup though. \o/

Can't wait for July, it'll be super-hype!
This should be common fact. But try to get any meetups/marathons on weekends or such, Since we all have uni/college/work in the week.
There is a lan going on On July 5, Lan Smash, we could possibly have a small meetup there, even look into Hosting the event there at another time? I'm going to 100% be there If anybody wants to chill hit me up.
Forgot to leave a link about the details http://www.meetup.com/lansmash/events/169128472/?a=ea1_grp&rv=ea1
my hat is my friend
Okay so I've been away and stuff but okay, that LanSmash idea sounds cool, also if anyone in the Brisbane area or who wants to come around to hang out, let's have a meetup. July 12. We'll go hang out and go to an arcade and chill and discuss what to do and talk about games and speedrunning and have a rad time.

If July 12 doesn't suit we can find another date that's just what came to mind. I know PotatoHandle will be in Brisbane then so that's something, hehe.
SEGA Junkie
Saving the date~
Edit history:
turb0liam0: 2014-06-03 07:55:57 am
turb0liam0: 2014-06-03 07:55:33 am
Well, it's settled for me, July 5th, LAN Smash meetup and July 12th hangout/chill day, Also for +18 people, i know a few bars in the city we could go to if you people wanna have a beer or 2, at the actual Lan Event though. We may be able to run our games live with each other around as well. Just an idea.
I legit just moved into Brisbane like 2 days ago. I live in Southbank. So getting anywhere is easy. I don't have internet yet, I've just been hotspotting off my phone. It's so fucked, because both my room mates play dota like me, yet we're so desperate that we have to go to the state library to get internet. I guess what I'm saying is that if anyone is interested in chilling. I can now.
Edit history:
turb0liam0: 2014-06-29 06:01:44 pm
Alright, as the date is approaching, I want confirmations as to who will be at these events. Everybody will have had to RSVP to get into lansmash.
Okay everyone who's posted in this will be getting a PM from Spud about next Saturday's thingy. Sorry I've been a bit slack - I have had a few things going on and haven't been home very much. Also SGDQ was a thing. But yeah, if anyone's here reading, midday next Saturday, Hungry Jacks in Brisbane city. We'll grab lunch or go to the arcade or park and just chill and discuss things and organize what we're gonna do in the future. Ultra casual, if you can make it along, awesome, if you can't, that's cool too, we'll just have a casual as heck day and have a good time talking about speedgames and getting to know our fellow speedgamers, yaaaay.
my hat is my friend
Hi everyone! Been a while since this was updated. Don't want to say too much yet for the chance that it falls through still buuuut Liam has very kindly found a potential venue in Brisbane, and we're gonna have another look at it on Monday. I know we were thinking Sydney if anything but since we have this actually found we're looking at that for now. It looks as though it won't be drastically expensive and will be able to fit enough people so that's definitely a thing. We need to check logistics and whether the setup will have what we're looking for - apparently they have done events like this in the past and do have wi-fi. I'll be looking at the room itself, whether it has ethernet access (in case), whether we'll be able to bring our own things/they can work with what's there, just whether it will work. It is quite promising though so that's a good start.

If anyone has any primary concerns or questions they want raised of the venue, please let me know. It's pretty much in the Brisbane city centre so accomodation near by shouldn't be too much of a problem - first we're gonna be 100% on the venue before we do too much else though.

And if anyone has any major issues with Brisbane and any alternatives they wish to offer do let me know. I'll post again on Monday evening outlining the venue in detail (if we decide that it'll work) or explaining why not. I'll check this forum over the weekend though if anyone has any concerns.

Looking forward to sharing some good news and getting the ball rolling for 2015!
my hat is my friend
Oh, and if it works out, since we're probably looking at July next year (unless anyone has any major qualms - we have nearly a year, then, and a lot of time to prepare, which is great since a lot of us lead fairly busy lives), I'll probably be hitting up Beyond Blue as a charity that we could be linked with and donate towards. We discussed this at the Brisbane meeting and that seemed like the charity people were most interested in, which is excellent on a personal level for me and I imagine a few of the people in the community. <3
Cheese It
I think that as long as the venue is capable of hosting this event, the location isn't terribly important. If we're looking at mid-2015, there's plenty of time for people outside of Queensland to plan out a trip. We shouldn't pass up any opportunities. (Also, July means AWSM still works. Yessssss.)

Beyond Blue very much works for me as well. An amazing Australian charity if ever there was one.
Can we have one in perth please?
my hat is my friend
If you're willing to set it up, sure. Tongue

Edit: Sorry, that was a bit hasty. I'm biased towards the east coast (as I imagine a fair few people are). Ideally we'd be able to have marathons around the place, but logistically it is a bit difficult.

As for meetups, put the word out for your cities. I'm afraid I can only attend/arrange Brisbane meetups, but all the Aussies should get together wherever they can, I'd love to hear about meetups. Smiley
my hat is my friend
So the place is closed on Mondays, lol.

Also discovered the council library has 24 hour meeting rooms available for booking for half the price, it's not in the city centre but it is in a shopping area so food's not going to be an issue, and there's a kitchenette and wi-fi and I'm going to have to check that out tomorrow, too, when I actually check out this first place haha.
Quote from RocketPineapple:
So the place is closed on Mondays, lol.

Also discovered the council library has 24 hour meeting rooms available for booking for half the price, it's not in the city centre but it is in a shopping area so food's not going to be an issue, and there's a kitchenette and wi-fi and I'm going to have to check that out tomorrow, too, when I actually check out this first place haha.

Well, none of us saw that coming today, At least the chocolate nachos were nice. But to be serious. Me and Rocket are gonna check this again tommorow.
UPDATE: We went to the venue and it seems that they can cater to all our needs, they claim their upload speeds can average 50 up if you paid a lot on top of the venue hire costs. We're gonna look at some other venues, and focus on costs and see what the best option is. Then we'll look into organizing the actual event
Tomba! YA YA YA
Count me in 100%, i have a few games i could submit for this, i live in WA and willing to travel across,

sorry for the bump but i gotta get in on this Cheesy
Hi there,
I'm a Donkey Kong Country runner from Victoria. Just wondering if there's any events coming up, I'd love to come and join Cheesy
Here's my twitch - http://www.twitch.tv/nathantah
Hope to talk to you all soon Cheesy
Quote from nathantah:
Hi there,
I'm a Donkey Kong Country runner from Victoria. Just wondering if there's any events coming up, I'd love to come and join Cheesy

At the moment, the next 'open' event that's coming up is looking to be AVcon in Adelaide, July 2016. (Someone may correct me on this, but I'll let them do so at their leisure.)

We're just at an expression of interest phase at the moment, but you can find the appropriate link here - https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/avcon_2016_speedrunning_event__expressions_of_interest.html
Quote from Softman25:
Quote from nathantah:
Hi there,

At the moment, the next 'open' event that's coming up is looking to be AVcon in Adelaide, July 2016. (Someone may correct me on this, but I'll let them do so at their leisure.)

We're just at an expression of interest phase at the moment, but you can find the appropriate link here - https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/avcon_2016_speedrunning_event__expressions_of_interest.html

BTW there's also this - https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/australian_speedrunners__asm_2_electric_boogaloo_2016_marathon.html
Quote from nathantah:
Quote from Softman25:
Quote from nathantah:
Hi there,

BTW there's also this - https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/australian_speedrunners__asm_2_electric_boogaloo_2016_marathon.html

Yeah, but there's been no continued communication or organisation from this thread. I'm keen to see something happen, but yeah. At the moment it's appearing to be a non-starter. (This is a hint to get that thing moving Wink )
is there like a skype or a discord for this group? i'd love to join.
PM me your Skype name, I'll add you once discussions for AVCon start up. (When something interesting happens essentially Tongue )