--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Anime Freak
Quote from RocketPineapple:
That would work, clearly. Kappa.

Alright, AWSM guys! We've got approximately 23 people on the list, so notYuna, I'd say go on the assumption of 30 - it allows for additions and subtractions, and it's fairly close to the current number anyway (better be on the safer side of the current number). But no problem about being busy, totally understandable! Smiley

Do you guys like the name AWSM, by the way? I'm pretty proud of it, if I do say so myself. Australian Winter Speedrunning Marathon is hype (especially since it's right after Summer Games Done Quick, hehehe.)

23 people, pretty solid for a first time thing Tongue

Also, I like AWSM. It's better than anything I've come up with in my head haha xD
I reckon the name is pretty awsm.
Anime Freak
Australian Regal Speedrunning Event. Or ARSE for short. Kappa
my hat is my friend
Originally we had Australian Speedrunning Society, ASS 2k14. I still call it that sometimes OpieOP. I am very fond of AWSM though.
I'd be down to go if it was around the Gold Coast area. I'd be hyped though + the streams would finally be ~local time.
Anime Freak
Originally we had Australian Speedrunning Society, ASS 2k14. I still call it that sometimes OpieOP. I am very fond of AWSM though.

I like AWSM as well

Quote from JoshKnowles:
I'd be down to go if it was around the Gold Coast area. I'd be hyped though + the streams would finally be ~local time.

And yeah, I'd prefer it to be Brisbane area as well, but Sydney isn't too far Tongue
my hat is my friend
If Sydney can't work I may last minute frantically ask at UQ and QUT whether we can host it there. Brisbane would be great for me, I could bring my computer/I know the city well seeing as I live here, hehe. But hey, if Sydney works and the event is a success, we can move around the country, if people are okay with that? Tongue We'll see how this goes first of course.
fwiw I don't mind too much where it's held, as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to go lol (read: not WA/NT)
Would love to attend, even though it's in australia, still would be a fun thing to do
Edit history:
notYuna: 2014-04-13 05:43:27 am
i like turtles
Hey there,
Just to let you know that unless you can find someone else at UNSW to book a room, this is unfortunately a no-go venue wise. The timing that everyone wants will coincide with what most likely be when our society's semester break camp will be on. Also, there's too much of a risk booking for 'external organizations' (who have to pay a fair bit for the booking of rooms) - as in, since the majority of attendee's aren't UNSW students, the organization responsible for room bookings etc. will see the society get into trouble if caught.
Sorry for the bad news, but I wish you all luck that you can find a suitable venue before the end of June.
a little disappointing but i know that booking things with universities can be a real pain sometimes. Maybe rocket pineapple will have some luck with the QLD uni's though
my hat is my friend
Just contacted Griffith Uni, they're not that hype and it's expensive as hell. Making other calls to see what I can do, maybe we might have to scrap a uni and find a hall or something where we can get internet. I'm having a look around Brisbane (but I'm currently in the middle of nowhere at Potato Handle's place which really doesn't help, haha). If anyone has any suggestions, please, for the love of God, I'm all ears.
my hat is my friend
So, uh, casual hangout in Brisbane and potential people getting together and doing things and maybe streaming games in July instead?

Heh, ehe...ehhhhhhhh............

(Dead serious though, short of having a marathon, which wasn't my initial intention, would anyone want to hang out and maybe do a bit of streaming, I can offer my lounge room if we're not going to have too many people).

I do intend to look at a charity before we get a full marathon going and having more time to look at venues - a university doesn't seem the way to go since they're not that keen (though I will be, hopefully, studying at UQ in a couple of months time, which might give me some avenues for discussion). It's hard for me to do much as I am at the moment, heh, but I am down if people wanna hang out and do something fun at that time and maybe discuss what we can do in person? There's only so much one depressive and anxious person can do alone, hehe. Tongue
I'll still be glad to go to any speedrun meetup, even if it gets hosted in an alleyway, true poverty style.
I'd be just as likely to go to a casual meetup as a marathon, as long as I'm available I'll try to come along.
If you guys are holding this in Brisbane, You can count me in for a Star Wars Jedi Academy run, i move to Brisbane To study in 22 Days Smiley
Quote from turb0liam0:
If you guys are holding this in Brisbane, You can count me in for a Star Wars Jedi Academy run, i move to Brisbane To study in 22 Days Smiley

If this gets moved to Sydney, i MIGHT be able to go but I'd like to roadtrip with other runners from Brisbane, i Don't have my p's just yet.
my hat is my friend
It's probably a casual thing in Brisbane at this point, I'd like to get people together even just to hang out and maybe play games and also see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for a marathon (or if not just chill). I think July was pushing it (thought so from the outset if I'm honest) but with more time we can definitely get something started. Smiley But yeah, if people want to hang I'd love that, it would be great to get this community together. :3
It's probably a casual thing in Brisbane at this point, I'd like to get people together even just to hang out and maybe play games and also see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for a marathon (or if not just chill). I think July was pushing it (thought so from the outset if I'm honest) but with more time we can definitely get something started. Smiley But yeah, if people want to hang I'd love that, it would be great to get this community together. :3

Yeah I'd love to have a get together. We could rent out somewhere if we just look around.
There are plenty of hotels and Venues in Brisbane if you just use the google.
Cheese It
I can't do Brisbane, unfortunately (Skype anyone?).

As for doing a proper marathon, July was definitely pushing it a little too much, but you seemed so confident that I just wanted to roll with it. Tongue I think we'd be better off finding somewhere appropriate before looking at dates. I'd love to do some location scouting in Melbourne but I have literally zero knowledge/experience when it comes to event planning, so, yeah.
Quote from EightBitNacho:
(Skype anyone?).

What exactly are you lookin to speak about? Just Dates and stuff like that?
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from EightBitNacho:
As for doing a proper marathon, July was definitely pushing it a little too much, but you seemed so confident that I just wanted to roll with it. Tongue I think we'd be better off finding somewhere appropriate before looking at dates. I'd love to do some location scouting in Melbourne but I have literally zero knowledge/experience when it comes to event planning, so, yeah.

Just to defend RocketPineapple and all the others: Planning for the first ESA (2012) started at AGDQ the same year. So it took us from January to August, including finding and getting the venue, sorting out a ton of stuff and whatnot. It was ambitious, but it worked Wink
It's a semi-shame this is going to turn out 'just' a meetup, but I think you'll have just as much fun as with a proper marathon Wink
my hat is my friend
Oh, we'll have a proper marathon. It just won't be in July, hehe. I'd love to make something work but I had the last month unable to location scout, haha. It might take longer but we'll get something going in the end!

I think a meetup is a good start though. And thanks! Smiley
Cheese It
Quote from turb0liam0:
What exactly are you lookin to speak about? Just Dates and stuff like that?

I was jokingly implying that those who can't get to a Brisbane meetup could join in over Skype.

Quote from Alko:
Just to defend RocketPineapple and all the others: Planning for the first ESA (2012) started at AGDQ the same year. So it took us from January to August, including finding and getting the venue, sorting out a ton of stuff and whatnot. It was ambitious, but it worked Wink

Don't get me wrong, it was possible (ESA being a perfect example), just unlikely.

It might take longer but we'll get something going in the end!

I think the bottom line is that there's clearly enough interest for it to happen sooner or later. Smiley