Arcanum: of Steamworks & Magick Obscura () (pc) [Any %] [Segmented] [Normal]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'Daegon'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Arcanum: of Steamworks & Magick Obscura () (pc) [Any %] [Segmented] [Normal]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/arcanum-v_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2016-10-02 10:03:25 am
LotBlind: 2016-10-02 09:49:45 am
Okay, here's a couple q's. It's mainly the segmentation itself that I'm interested in. You haven't really given a lot of detail on why each segment is required.

Why's the first segment so short? Is there a chance of failing the assassin skip or something else? I see segment 15 is also just the dialogue skip, so is it that one that can fail/be slow somehow?

What are the odds of an encounterless journey to Tarant?

How about those before Land Bridge? (The current record run only has 2 encounters here...)

Are there some segment breaks in place and others edited out? It felt like there weren't as many breaks as indicated by the segment count. If this is true, could you please leave breaks everywhere in the future, or us poor verifiers will be confused. Also why not leave the final cutscenes in? That's not compulsory though, more like personal preference.
Quote from LotBlind:
Okay, here's a couple q's. It's mainly the segmentation itself that I'm interested in. You haven't really given a lot of detail on why each segment is required.

Why's the first segment so short? Is there a chance of failing the assassin skip or something else? I see segment 15 is also just the dialogue skip, so is it that one that can fail/be slow somehow?

What are the odds of an encounterless journey to Tarant?

How about those before Land Bridge? (The current record run only has 2 encounters here...)

Are there some segment breaks in place and others edited out? It felt like there weren't as many breaks as indicated by the segment count. If this is true, could you please leave breaks everywhere in the future, or us poor verifiers will be confused. Also why not leave the final cutscenes in? That's not compulsory though, more like personal preference.

I didn't know an explanation for each one is required, and there are really only one or two significantly RNG based events in the run which can cause issues (journey through Thanatos and the guards of Kerghan's Castle).

There are so many segments because I'm terrible at manipulating the interface/mouse movement and it was much easier for me to have a chance to attempt each segment multiple times just to get the best result in regards to that.

As for random encounters, it's hard to actually estimate the odds (or at least I haven't attempted myself), but let's suppose it's about a 80% or 90% chance of having at least one encounter on the way to Tarant per run. As for Thanatos, I haven't had a single instance of getting from the landing point to the Land Bridge without at least one encounter, so I've decided to split the traveling in two, that way doubling my chances.

As for ending slides, they don't always show for me, it's some kind of hardware-related glitch I still haven't been able to find a fix for. Skydivizer has also left out the endings, so I figured it wasn't necessary.
Well, as you can see, it's not required to say anything, but verifiers may wanna ask about it anyway.

Yes, the ending/intro stuff can always be skipped for SDA. I see, it's hardware stuff then... BTW you're okay to splice in things like that retroactively because they happen outside of timing.

Segment 2 has a small mistake: Skydivizer didn't let the screen scroll so far SE and had an easier time clicking on the lady.

Yeah, so I think the clicking in general looks fairly fast and slick. I'm not quite sure if this doesn't have a few too many segments (you may have made it too easy on yourself which makes the run look a bit lazy), but let's hope someone like Sky himself shows up for more insightful comments.

accept
Quote from LotBlind:
Well, as you can see, it's not required to say anything, but verifiers may wanna ask about it anyway.

Yes, the ending/intro stuff can always be skipped for SDA. I see, it's hardware stuff then... BTW you're okay to splice in things like that retroactively because they happen outside of timing.

Segment 2 has a small mistake: Skydivizer didn't let the screen scroll so far SE and had an easier time clicking on the lady.

Yeah, so I think the clicking in general looks fairly fast and slick. I'm not quite sure if this doesn't have a few too many segments (you may have made it too easy on yourself which makes the run look a bit lazy), but let's hope someone like Sky himself shows up for more insightful comments.

accept

Thanks. And I've been talking to Skydivizer since about a week or two the run was first posted on YouTube (that channel is gone now, but you can find my new one by searching "Daegon of Aurelium") and I don't recall any negative comments from him. I will link him this thread on Steam and see if he will drop by.

Once I find some new tactics, I will likely be doing another run. This one does have more segments than it should, admittedly, although the new one should have far less. I've done some single-segment practice runs in the meantime and I think I'm getting better.

Cheers!
I think the execution is acceptable. There are some brief moments of imperfection, but generally I think its on par. I only think the guard fight might be too slow for a segmented run. With 4 spell slots I'd expect a double fire wall on both entangled guards.

The chosen route/strategy is decent. The Virgil conversation stopping bug is a decent find, but could have been used on Nasrudin and Arronax as well (after getting the experience of course). Skipping the falchion is obviously a major time safe.

I can not really say much on the amount of segments. There are no discontinuation issues as far as I can tell. I can reproduce everything that occurs in the run.

Concerning the chances of encounter-free travels, its very unlikely to occur. I would say the odds of getting to Tarant like that are less than one in twenty, similarly are the rates on Thanatos.

accept
Skydivizer - Segmentation: you're just looking for two adjacent segments that could have been combined without bringing it over the admittedly somewhat vague "stupidly unlikely" barrier. And ofc the opposite in cases where the segment count is too low.

Thanks for doing the verification!
Decision posted.