--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Alien vs. Predator (ntscus) (arcade) [Any %] [Single Segment] [AVP: Predator]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Sean 'MURPHAGATOR!' Murphy!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Alien vs. Predator (ntscus) (arcade) [Any %] [Single Segment] [AVP: Predator]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/alienvspredatorarcade-20150920/P%20Warrior%20HIGH.MP4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
Edit history:
Soliduz Znake: 2015-12-02 05:02:26 am
Soliduz Znake: 2015-12-02 05:02:04 am
I will definitely check this out when I got time
A/V: don't whats the problem. I used VLC and looks fine.
cheating: no.
overall great run. some minor conveniences getting hit. The boss fight with Mad Predator had some unfavorable recoveries especially last chip damage stings. On the other hand most boss fights went smoothly. if it bleeds softlocks we can kill speedrun it
Accept
Get over here!
Uhm .. video file is damaged for me?
The Dork Knight himself.
Just downloaded it, seems to play fine for me.
Before I created the thread, I checked the video. I had compatibility problems as well, but it worked at least with vlc.
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
I have a unaltered, stock, fresh install of Windows 10 done yesterday and figured I would it try it on there when I saw this thread.  It will not play on it, and that's about as generic as it gets.  :/
The Dork Knight himself.
Here's the media info from the file.
General
Format                        : MPEG-4
Format profile                : Base Media
Codec ID                      : isom
File size                      : 227 MiB
Duration                      : 30mn 29s
Overall bit rate              : 1 041 Kbps
Writing application            : Lavf56.11.101

Video
ID                            : 1
Format                        : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                : High 4:2:2@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC        : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 4 frames
Codec ID                      : avc1
Codec ID/Info                  : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                      : 925 Kbps
Width                          : 720 pixels
Height                        : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio          : 3:2
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                    : 59.940 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling            : 4:2:2
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)            : 0.045
Stream size                    : 202 MiB (89%)
Writing library                : x264 core 142 r2479 dd79a61
Encoding settings              : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=31.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID                            : 2
Format                        : Ogg
Codec ID                      : DD
Bit rate mode                  : Constant
Bit rate                      : 103 Kbps
Channel(s)                    : 2 channels
Sampling rate                  : 48.0 KHz
Stream size                    : 22.5 MiB (10%)
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Posting just to say that I just downloaded the file and it seems that it's working just fine. Not sure if the file has been changed or anything, but figured I'd say something just in case. Also using VLC to play it.
Edit history:
Judgy: 2015-12-02 06:26:00 am
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
A/V : Fine ( works in MPC / VLC and the web player without issue)
Cheating: None
Gameplay: Good, theres a few unlucky knockdowns but nothing worth rejecting, Mad Predator fight was unlucky but quick none the less, the rest of the run if jump-knee until you find a gun and when you run out of ammo jump-knee again.

ACCEPT

Edit: side note ... why did so many pitch in to test if the file worked but no-one bothered to verify?.... Just a thought....
The Dork Knight himself.
A/V: Fine, however the use of OGG for audio should be corrected for the final encodes.

This is a solid run regardless of what Murph may have to say about it. Aside from watching the video, I also checked out the run on his twitch page here.

Is there a lot to clean up? Definitely. Going by Murph's splits there's almost a minute or so that could be shaved off of this run. That being said, AvP is not really forgiving when it comes to mistakes, and Murph handles everything as well as expected. I do hope he comes back to this in the future to get that Smart Gun carry he was hoping for. Until then, this is an easy Accept.
Decision posted.
Edit history:
Reeve: 2016-01-11 04:45:33 am
Great run, Murphagator! Played this game back in the 90's and wanted to get back to it, but never did until now after watching your run. I'm watching your twitch videos to get an idea of good strategies, like the pipe/objects glitch and the usage of the smart/plasma guns. My goal is just to be able to finish the game with one coin/credit, but speed strats are always cool to use.

Question: While playing online with a friend I noticed that you can take the other predator's weapon and keep throwing it around without it desapearing. It seems it can also be used to perform the "pipe glitch" on enemies. Do you think a two players run could take advantage of this?

Also, I noticed you did a casual playthrough of Captain Commando. Do you intend to run it in the future? This is one of my favorite games and despite AVP, this is one I can beat with no problems and know some stuff.

Edit: Btw, Murph, have you developed any consistent way to kill Mad Predator only using the Smart Gun?
Terraffirmative!
Hey Reeve,

I saw your reply but forgot to respond as it was a busy time.

A whole lot of things about this run would change in multiplayer. Item cancels are extremely powerful, and as it turns out the other player can actually catch weapons you throw, so even a knife could be thrown back and forth between players to repeat the glitch several times. In 3p, this means you could easily use one of the players weapons as the thrown item between the other two characters. It's a lot of speculation and difficult for me to say where it would be useful, though.

The Mad Predator smart gun kill is extremely inconsistent. From what I've observed, it seems to just depend on the exact frame which you start firing the smart gun. Using it will easily take 90% of his health regardless of the exact timing, though.

I have no intentions to run Captain Commando.
Edit history:
Reeve: 2016-01-18 09:44:42 am
Reeve: 2016-01-18 09:44:07 am
Reeve: 2016-01-18 09:43:56 am
Reeve: 2016-01-16 10:56:06 am
Reeve: 2016-01-16 10:46:51 am
Thanks for replying, Murphagator.

I see. Very cool idea about throwing the itens to each other, that would prevent them from desapearing which happens sometimes, mainly when you're throwing the other player's weapon.

Actually I've made some tests and the mad predator quick kill just depends if you're in the correct position, so it works consistently. I thought it would work the same as in that mini game where you use the smart gun, so I just tried different positions and in the end I came up with one that usually works fine.

Also, I've been working to find a Alien Queen quick kill I mentnioned in the Casual Speedrunning thread, but it was probably just a bug, unfortunately. Even though, I managed to find a good strat for her that allows you to kill her pretty fast, which is cool. I'm not good in recording videos with my PC, but if you want and is used to FBA, I could provide a .fmb file for both strats. Let me know if you're interested.