List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Antilles58: 2016-09-12 09:48:49 am
Antilles58: 2016-09-06 09:42:06 am
Antilles58: 2016-09-05 05:28:26 pm
#FailFish
Now that we've started having some submissions for it come in, here's a bit more information about the DKC Trilogy Relay.

Inspired by the amazing experience that Tropical Freeze relay provided at the last GDQ, coupled with the large number of high-level DKC runners who will be attending, we're offering up a relay of the classic SNES Trilogy as an event for this. This is exactly what it sounds like: several teams of 3 players, each playing one game and then passing it off to the next player.  The estimate will be 2:25 to account for game changes and mistakes, but I would be surprised if it wasn't closer to 2:15.

There are enough runners attending for us to have 3 teams of 3 (with backups for each game). It is my opinion that a three-team race would be more exciting, as it would showcase more talent and increase the chances of there being a really tight race at the end. To that end, here are the runners you should expect to see submit:

DKC: Eazinn, Fathlo, Silent Wolf (backups: MrZeraTheMant, Kanis999)
DKC2: v0oid, Waffle, Kanis999 (backups: crismas, namux, me, elmagus)
DKC3: Supreme, n0cturne, Suzuri (backups: BluntBunny, crismas, elmagus, Eazinn)

This lineup gives us three players with a 32/33 in DKC, three with a 40 in DKC2, and three with a 48/49 in DKC3, all of which are extremely elite times in their respective categories. All of the backups are able to more than capably fill in should they be needed. While we haven't planned out exactly who will be on which team yet, what we will do is coordinate so that the total PBs of each team are very equal (i.e., not all the best times on the same team).

That said, we do leave the option up to staff to decide to accept a 2-team relay as well. If you feel that it would be better for screen real estate or setup time, then that is totally reasonable to us.  We just wanted to submit three total teams to provide enough players to give that as an option, if you agree that it is a better choice.

As for commentary, I will be providing that (along with some of the backups mentioned above, possibly crismas or Zera - Puwexil's expressed interest as well). I run all three games and am very knowledgeable about everything that goes into each, and the commentary for v0oid's 102% run last year was very well received. I envision it to be something very similar to the aforementioned DKCTF relay (or the Super Metroid race) from SGDQ this last year. Probably not enough space in the game area for the commentators, so an offscreen setup like those games used would likely be best.

If any of this is confusing, or if you notice that any of the players have somehow submitted wrong, then please let me know (Twitter is best). I'll be keeping tabs on it as well and making sure everything goes smoothly. Similarly, if you decide to accept it, I will continue to coordinate the relay with everyone until the marathon happens.

Thank you so much for your consideration, and best of luck with game selections!

EDIT: I've just learned that Suzuri, one of the best Japanese DKC3 runners is planning to attend and to submit any%. He is one of the few people in the world with a 48, and is interested in being included in the relay as well.

EDIT again: We actually have enough submissions with strong runners that we could even handle 4 teams for the relay, if you should want that.
P.S. Earthbound
Quote from mrprmiller:
I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but under my profile, after updating my profile, it is still saying that it's been a while and there is no submission button to be considered for games.  :/  Is that common?

This was also the case for me.  I didn't change any information in my profile -- just went in and clicked ye olde 'Update Profile' button.  And that didn't dismiss the message.

I resolved it just now, so either this was a temporary issue, or what I did differently helped: I went into my profile, toggled "I'm Bringing Childen" on (I am not), then toggled it off again, and clicked to update my profile.  The message that it's been awhile since I updated then went away.
Edit history:
dwangoAC: 2016-09-05 11:27:59 pm
Keeper of TASBot
TL;DR: I'll be submitting the TAS block as the representative for all of the proposed content and said content might be a bit light on firm details; please contact me privately for full details as needed.

As usual, the TAS block tends to bend the rules a bit.  This event is no different, but as always I'll try to make things as easy as possible on the submissions team.  The biggest rule I'll be bending is I plan to submit all of the TAS content we are pitching myself as the representative and organizer of the TAS offerings.  To rephrase, both micro500 and I could be called "runners" at the event if that run is accepted but I will be submitting everything just once as we will be vetting everything prior to posting it.  The other way I'll be bending the rules is in how much we describe as posting a spoilers video for some of the things we have in mind would be a really bad idea.

Tech / submissions crew, please feel free to PM me or contact me on IRC as dwangoAC as needed and I will privately clarify any details you want to know about.  Thanks!
Quote from honorableJay:
I plan on submitting a game I ran during Scrubathon (with the highlight as the video), but I had a question about the commentary. Since that marathon was more casual, the language wasn't controlled like in a GDQ. While I wasn't cursing like a drunken sailor (from what I can remember), it's definitely not the kind of language I would use in a GDQ. Overdubbing on a twitch highlight isn't something that's easy to do, so should I submit that video and hope for the best or just use my PB highlight?

This is a super late response but you can record twitch VODs pretty easily with livestreamer. If you have livestreamer installed just open a terminal/command prompt and type in "livestreamer -o C:\(video name).mp4 --hls-segment-threads 4 (URL of the VOD) source" with out quotes. For example: livestreamer -o C:\clutch.mp4 --hls-segment-threads 4 https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/45933652 source
Quick question about the order of categories, upon submission we tried to have our preferred category show up as Category 1, but it seems to have picked it completely at random. Is it possible the committee will look at which one is "Category 1" and figure that is what we'd prefer, assuming they have no preference themselves?

If so, our Alien Swarm preference is any%, our L4D1 preference is All Campaigns Co-op, and our Doom 3 preference is any% co-op.
Category numbering is irrelevant. You should specify in your pitch text (or, as you've done here, in forum post) if you have a preference order for categories.
Is it acceptable to use an SDA video link in one's submission?  The ones that are published have informative audio commentary on track 2.

If that's not desirable for some reason, I'm thinking I could also restructure the video with the audio commentary on Track 1 and then send it off to youtube that way?
Edit history:
zewing: 2016-09-08 06:54:39 pm
just( •_•)>⌐■-■ ..... (⌐■_■)wing it
Submit your run, dont' submit others.  If your run happens to be an SDA run, then that makes it easier
Edit history:
Elipsis: 2016-09-08 08:41:51 pm
Elipsis: 2016-09-08 08:41:27 pm
I meant my SDA run.
just( •_•)>⌐■-■ ..... (⌐■_■)wing it
I see no reason why you can't, it's your run
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2016-09-08 09:17:59 pm
Yes, you can submit using your SDA run video(s).
Clarification regarding Mega Man Rock Force due to limited space:

My estimate is 50:00 but is shown as 57:00. 57:00 is a relatively strange number and assumes that a soft lock of the game where it fails to transition from the first phase of the final boss to the second phase of the final boss WILL occur. Because y'know, marathon luck. This has only happened once. To me. No one else in the speedrunner community has had this occur and no one during the beta testing or in the forums has ever had this occur.
The Great Farming Empire
This might have already been brought up by The Master, but for some reason my submission for Sonic CD has the categories switched up with "Sonic" being in Category 1 and "Tails" being in Category 2.

I just want to clarify that I am trying to push for "Tails" as my preferred category as it is a much faster and imo a more interesting watch over "Sonic".
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from Sonikkustar:
This might have already been brought up by The Master, but for some reason my submission for Sonic CD has the categories switched up with "Sonic" being in Category 1 and "Tails" being in Category 2.

I just want to clarify that I am trying to push for "Tails" as my preferred category as it is a much faster and imo a more interesting watch over "Sonic".

Categories are not guaranteed to be sorted in any specific order, nor does the committee consider them in any particular preference. In the future, mention your preference in the description for the submission, but this is duly noted.
3 of my submissions are still not showing up as visible and I was wondering if there was a reason or if it was just an oversight. Thanks
We keep submissions hidden if they contain content that we don't wish to display on the public site. Please feel free to email us directly at committee@gamesdonequick.com if you would like to discuss this in further detail.

As a reminder, the visibility of your submissions is not related to the process of considering them for the marathon.
Hi there!

I'm a first-time submitter. Is it normal for no decisions to be made 3 days before the game list is posted? Or are they all done at once? It doesn't say on the games list.

I've been refreshing every day for updates, haha.
Yes, the committee does not publish the results of the selection process until the deadline is reached.
Oh, okay! I'll come back October 5th, then! Smiley
On the 5th, around what time should the list be posted? Would it be similar to the start/end of submissions where it was 3amEST/Midnight PST?
Quote from tbcr:
On the 5th, around what time should the list be posted? Would it be similar to the start/end of submissions where it was 3amEST/Midnight PST?

They usually spend the whole day working on it, so it's possible. The time isn't scheduled, other than meeting the deadline.
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2016-10-04 12:17:15 pm
Vulajin: 2016-10-04 12:16:51 pm
Marking things as accepted is a manual process that takes around an hour, and we'd be hoping to get started as early as possible. That said, all of the committee members work during the day tomorrow so I wouldn't expect to see decisions posted until near the end of the night.
Edit history:
Septuple: 2016-10-05 08:34:39 pm
Septuple: 2016-10-05 07:34:55 pm
Septuple: 2016-10-05 06:15:31 am
Woof. That sounds like a huge timesink! Shocked

It could be automated by simply having decisions hidden, then have a one-click "reveal" button in the admin panel that changes everything from pending to what you already set it to. Smiley

EDIT @ 9:30 PM EST: Excitedly reloading!! Cheesy

EDIT @ 10:30 PM EST: Excitedly falling asleep. Will see the results first thing in the morning!
Cloudbuilt <3 Coilworks
I know it's a lot of work for you guys, but is there anyway we could get feedback on why a run was rejected? Even if it was simply "This game needed a break" or "It just didn't fit into the schedule this time" I'd really like to know, and if I could improve something about my run for the future it would be extremely valuable.
Edit history:
Vulajin: 2016-10-06 12:11:05 am
You're welcome to ask for specifics here, or to any committee member (@Vulajin, @sumichu, @BreakdownSDA) via Twitter, or via email at committee@gamesdonequick.com, depending on your desired level of privacy. This goes for everyone with such questions. (Intentionally not answering your specific run yet in case you'd like to seek more privacy - just post again if you want me to answer here.)