sumichu: 2015-10-09 03:52:15 pm
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
Hotel & Venue Information:
Main Event: January 3rd — 9th, 2016
Hotel: Hilton Washington Dulles Airport
13869 Park Center Road
Herndon, Virginia
+1 (703) 478-2900

After considering our options, we have decided to return to the Hilton - Washington Dulles Airport.

Pictures can be found here.

Overall, the hotel provided a great venue and great service for AGDQ 2015.  Two of the biggest concerns for us are capacity and food options; we need to be able to accommodate our growing attendee numbers.  This time around, the entire hotel is available to us in terms of conference space (though we don’t expect to take it all), and as a result, the layout of AGDQ 2016 will be different from AGDQ 2015.

Based on feedback from the last AGDQ, food was an issue for everyone. Free breakfast will be provided during the marathon, and they will provide a 15% discount at the restaurant for their regular menu (this does not include alcohol). There will also be a special low-cost menu for our group.  Gluten-free options will be available.  We’ve also been in talks with the hotel about bringing food trucks around, which was a suggestion brought up within AGDQ 2015 feedback.  Finally, there will be a food & beverage booth available at night, accepting both cash and credit.

The hotel has a total of 449 rooms; SGDQ 2015 was a good indicator for us that we need a lot of these.  The room rates will be $109/night for four people ($99 for 1-2), which is the same as last year.  Tax will be about 12%.

Parking is an outdoor lot (as opposed to a garage) and free.

The hotel will once again provide shuttles to and from the airport (IAD only; it will not service other airports).  The shuttle can also take you to a nearby shopping center for additional dining and grocery options.

Unfortunately, the hotel does not provide laundry services other than dry cleaning.

We will give you more details and the URL to book rooms at the GDQ group rate as they become available.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Countneko: 2015-08-20 06:36:25 pm
Excellent, it sounds like most of the issues from last year were addressed. It was a nice hotel so I'm happy to return to it, the only flaw was that it was a bit isolated, but the additional food options should make that not matter.

Can you give us any more details on the 'food & beverage booth' and the prices?
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
Quote from Countneko:
Can you give us any more details on the 'food & beverage booth' and the prices?

We don't have those details yet, but we'll add it to the OP when we find out.
I've never booked a flight so I'm not the best at it. Where would I look for a cheap flight out to DC?
Edit history:
NOUFozzy: 2015-08-20 07:28:28 pm
http://flights.google.com and use private browsing just in case. Because flight website things like to increase their prices depending on how frequently you search for a certain flight.
Sweet! Now I know I'm definitely going!
Quote from NOUFozzy:
http://flights.google.com and use private browsing just in case. Because flight website things like to increase their prices depending on how frequently you search for a certain flight.

Thanks!
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
If Touchedown Deli is still there, you guys might want to see if you can convince them to stay open later or also possibly at all on Sunday as that would help the food problem a bit.
Quote from Komrade:
Quote from NOUFozzy:

Thanks!

I'd recommend searching DCA as well as IAD. More airlinrs sren to go to DCA so more options.
Quote from rudyxx:
If Touchedown Deli is still there, you guys might want to see if you can convince them to stay open later or also possibly at all on Sunday as that would help the food problem a bit.

Gonna agree with this idea here.  The place had good food too.
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from ziggirawk:
Quote from Komrade:
Quote from NOUFozzy:

Thanks!

I'd recommend searching DCA as well as IAD. More airlinrs sren to go to DCA so more options.

Note that you will be on your own for getting to the hotel if you travel to DCA or another airport. They're not close enough for hotel shuttles.
When the event gets closer I'll probably go back to the airport --> hotel transportation thread from last AGDQ and make a new thread with the info.
Edit history:
Zetonegi: 2015-08-20 11:09:54 pm
There is a fairfax connector bus route that goes by the hotel from Wiehle(929) in addition to buses from Wiehle to IAD(from which you can get a shuttle to the hotel) I'll provide detailed information on that(with pictures!) closer to the event when the travel thread inevitably pops up.
TeamTopSpeed
Can we get like a picture of what the shuttle for to the hotel looks like? I'm pretty sure I remember it from last time but there's like 100 different shuttles that stop by the airport every 20 minutes and somehow it seemed like no one knew which one it was last time
If I recall it was the silver line from DCA to Wiehle, then shuttle to the hotel.
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
well, now i can start doing my research to see if i can go this time.
Edit history:
The Master: 2015-08-21 12:42:16 am
Excellent, that is only one state up from me so I could easily make the drive there!

I plan to submit my entry for a run this AGDQ for the first time after watching the events for a couple of years now and I am very excited that it will be so easy to attend. I have been practicing up on the game already, a little-known (probably) Valve game that has not been featured yet I am fairly certain. It would be great to get in.

Just to confirm, attendance is allowed even if you don't have an accepted run, correct? Since the drive will turn out to be so easy for me to make, I am strongly considering attending regardless. Maybe even volunteer for donation reads or something else helpful, we'll see. Looking forward to it guys, keep up the great work.
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
people can go even if they don't run a game.

surely there weren't 1000+ runners running a game at SGDQ, right? :p
Edit history:
xcd: 2015-08-21 02:28:46 am
Cube Throw = OoB
For people who weren't at AGDQ 2015 and are going this year: don't underestimate the lack of food around the venue. There's actually nothing near the hotel.

Also the OP mentions that food was an issue, then goes on to list a bunch of solutions to the problem. But most of those were already in place last AGDQ, and didn't do much (obviously, if you're mentioning there was a food issue in the first place.) The restaurant in the hotel is incredibly pricey, 15% won't do much. And currently, the only solution posted in the OP that is different than last year is the food truck idea, which isn't even a finalized thing. I'm still confused as to why the free breakfast, discount, etc are listed as solutions to the food problem even though you know very well that all of those existed last year.

So I really hope people going either have a friend that will drive them around everywhere, or they bring a car themselves. Or else, have fun spending a lot of money on delivery the entire week.
Fucking Weeaboo
For those looking for cheap flights, if you can fly Southwest, do so. They fly into IAD and their prices are usually some of the cheapest in the US. Plus 2 free checked bags. I used them in the past when AGDQ was back at the 4H Center.
HELLO!
Quote from xcd:
For people who weren't at AGDQ 2015 and are going this year: don't underestimate the lack of food around the venue. There's actually nothing near the hotel.

Right. The venue is a Dulles airport hotel. Dulles is nowhere near anything, therefore the hotel is nowhere near anything.

http://imgur.com/LPCY3JU Here's a satellite view.  The hotel is the purple pin. The airport is visible next to it. The city is waaaaaay over on the right.
Quote from xcd:

Also the OP mentions that food was an issue, then goes on to list a bunch of solutions to the problem. But most of those were already in place last AGDQ, and didn't do much (obviously, if you're mentioning there was a food issue in the first place.) The restaurant in the hotel is incredibly pricey, 15% won't do much. And currently, the only solution posted in the OP that is different than last year is the food truck idea, which isn't even a finalized thing. I'm still confused as to why the free breakfast, discount, etc are listed as solutions to the food problem even though you know very well that all of those existed last year.

The nightly food and beverage desk wasn't really at last year's event (was closed after the first day because it was cash only and unused). This will be cash and credit this time with heavy focus on pricing.

Also, last year, we did NOT have a special cheap food menu at the restaurant, other than pizza. I fully intend to have our AGDQ special menu match the special menu cost we had at SGDQ, which had pretty positive feedback (almost everything was $8 or less).

Finally, the food trucks were part of our discussions with the hotel from the beginning. It's not questionable whether it'll happen, only what types and how many (which may adjust depending on usage during the event).

We have other ideas for food we are working on as well, but we are only comfortable announcing stuff we're definitely confirmed on. I fully expect the food trucks to massively reduce the problems finding food each day.

If you have any doubt to how much we care about this, most of the staff on-site also does not drive, nor have a ride. We're all in the same boat. Tongue

Quote from Cool Matty:
Finally, the food trucks were part of our discussions with the hotel from the beginning. It's not questionable whether it'll happen, only what types and how many (which may adjust depending on usage during the event).

We have other ideas for food we are working on as well, but we are only comfortable announcing stuff we're definitely confirmed on. I fully expect the food trucks to massively reduce the problems finding food each day.

Small question, do you know what areas the food trucks will be going around?
Quote from Countneko:
Quote from Cool Matty:

Small question, do you know what areas the food trucks will be going around?

Not sure what you mean. They will be at the hotel (in their lot somewhere).
Double postin' time:

Just had a quick chat with Touchdown Deli, which is quite literally the closest food option to the hotel, about a 5 minute walk. They are willing to extend their hours as well as open on the weekends for the event. Will get final times right before the event, but that should also help out!