--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2014-08-24 10:00:31 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Okay, there's been a bunch of stuff happening since I last visited the hotels, so it's best that I consolidate the info into a new post.

Most of the hotels are in the Dulles area (near where the Crowne Plaza was), but one hotel, the Hunt Valley Inn was near BWI.

If you weren't paying attention, the Hyatt Reston is not an option because they wanted $75,000 for their conference room space. For reference, every other hotel is offering the space for 11-20k before taxes (and this is within conference room budget for PCF).

Things common amongst all of the hotels.

-All hotels have rates with breakfast included.
-Free wi-fi in hotel rooms.
-Free parking! And there's plenty.
-All of them have gluten-free options in their restaurants
-The food shuttles are not 24/7 (then again the restaurants aren't 24/7). They generally go until 11pm or 12 am.
-All of the hotels have stage risers and stanchions (the poles with ropes).
-All of the hotels have an ATM and complimentary business center.
-All of the hotels have outdoor smoking areas near the conference rooms.
-They all have the standard rectangular tables (6' x 30"), and most also have the skinnier kind (6' x 18")
-All of the hotels have a loading dock for trucks, and carts for transporting equipment.
-None of the hotels have tables with splinters, though one was kind of close.
-Check-in time is 3 PM (Hunt Valley is 4), Check-out time is noon
-All of the hotels have ADA compliant rooms (handicapped-accessible).
-With the exception of one hotel (Holiday Inn), the conference space is in the hotel and not far away from the hotel room elevator
-All of the hotels only allow 4 people to a double (fire code)
-Cots are only for king rooms and they're $10/night
-We would have all or most of the conference room space in the hotel, so what happened at the Crowne DIA shouldn't be an issue.
-Reservations work like this:

Basically you reserve with a credit/debit card, and there's 24-hour cancellation policy (as in contact the hotel 24 hours before your check-in time). Once you actually arrive, the hotel puts an authorization hold on your card (or if you have the names and info of the other guests, split up 4 ways) with incidentals per day (this ranges from 25-50 dollars depending on the hotel).

Now here is how authorization holds work. If it's on a credit card you won't notice because your card won't get charged unless if you use an incidental like room service, However, if the hold is on a debit card, it will be charged for the entire stay until you check out. This is just how debit cards work, and the hotels can't do anything about it. So long story short, use a credit card for check-in if you can.

Things that are common amongst the hotels in the Dulles area (i.e. not Hunt Valley Inn):

-All but one hotel have a shuttle on demand going to and from the silver line Wiehle avenue metro station, so good news for those coming in from bus/metro.
-All the hotels have multiple airport shuttles.
-There aren't many restaurants within walking distance of the hotels. Sad

Hilton Dulles

Pictures

Belmont Ballroom (main one)

Internet

Wired:

Room rate is 109 dollars/night+12% tax with continental breakfast (fruits, cereal, pastries, juices). This might be subject to change, they are working on the rate as I type this, and there will be a rate with hot breakfast too.

+Plenty of conference room space, there's about 19k sq ft of rooms (and we're getting all of it) that are within decent range of each other, and there's another 12k or so that's in a different area of the hotel in case if we need to expand for the future. For reference, it's about a minute and a half walk to the main ballroom from the elevators, and the other rooms are either closer or roughly equidistant.
+Belmont Ballroom is nice and big, it's 8k sq ft and can be divided 4 ways and has floor sockets.
+we can set the thermostat
+they have vending machines
+free parking
+15% discount at restaurant (for anything non-alcoholic)
+449 rooms total so running out of rooms is not a concern
+microwave + fridge in rooms (at least in the standard doubles)!
+airport shuttle is every 30 minutes from 6am-midnight, and they are willing to pick someone up if they arrive past midnight. There are also 4-5 shuttles and the smallest shuttle holds 14 people and the largest holds 30. IIRC, I was told the hotel is getting some more shuttles so that number will probably increase to 6-7.
+there will be a dedicated shuttle that takes people to Maclearen Square* (1 mile, maybe a 5 minute drive) which has about 8 restaurants and a grocery store, and world gate centre (the shopping center right across the street from the crowne, about 3 miles, roughly 10-15 minute drive).
-Yes, the fact this shuttle exists means there really are not any restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, it's in an office park. Sad
-Room rate is the highest amongst the hotels.
-hotel only has dry-cleaning
-the beds might be a little skinny but it's hard to tell.
+/- the beds are in between (not hard but not really soft).

*The restaurants I saw at Maclearen Square are Vocelli pizza, Asian garden, super pho, mikaku (Japanese), popeyes, burger King, chanab kabob, and Quiznos. The grocery store is a Food Lion.

Holiday Inn Dulles

Pictures - Both the hotel and conference center are in this folder.

Internet

Ballroom

ECTC (conference center)

General:

89 dollars/night+13% tax for free breakfast for two people 99/night+13% tax for three or four people, not sure about 4 people.

Best Western, which is in the same lot (but less rooms), is $75 for a king and $84 for doubles. Both of those rates include breakfast.

+Free breakfast is a thing
+250 rooms out of 297 have a fridge and microwave
+airport shuttles every half-hour, there are 4 and most hold 12-17 people with the biggest holding 26 people.
+free parking
+free wi-fi
+shuttle to Dulles Town Center and Dulles 28 Centre for restaurants and eating.
+vending machines
+they have laundry on-site and it's $1.75 per load, that's for washing and drying each (so $3.50 per load). Coin laundry is one mile.
-The biggest room wasn't that big, it was 4.1k sq ft, which is only about 1k more sq ft than the stream room at the Crowne Plaza Dulles.
-Most of the meeting space would be in a conference center which is about a 5-minute walk from the hotel. Sad I actually timed it walking slowly from the conference center to front lobby, and it was 5 minutes 45 seconds. That's also not including distance from hotel rooms.
-Cell service was a bit spotty in the conference center
-If we need more than 10k sq ft of space (which is likely), we'd have to use the space in the hotel itself, which would separate space.
-There is not much food nearby, there's one or two pizza places, a sandwich place, indian food, and I think a mexican restaurant within walking distance.

Sheraton Reston

We would be staying at the Sheraton, but the Westin is there in case if we run out of rooms at the Sheraton (it's right across the parking lot).

Pictures

Internet

Diamond Ballroom (main)

Wired:

Wifi:

Conference rooms:

Wired:

Wifi:

General

95 dollars a night + 12% tax. This includes breakfast.

+the sales manager has dealt with an anime convention so he knows how nerds work (i.e. they like to save money), and he seemed willing to work with us on free breakfast and providing affordable food options in the hotel. For example, he was going to contact places within a 4-5 mile radius about delivery orders.
+free wi-fi
+they have a 60 amp switch and a 100 amp aux switch so breaking a circuit should not be a concern.
+free parking
+15% discount at the restaurant (likely for anything non-alcoholic).
+There is a shuttle that goes to Reston Town Center, which is nearby (it's a 5-minute drive)
+airport shuttle is every 30 minutes, there are 7 (!) shuttles and 14 people per shuttle. The shuttle is also 24/7.
+the bed was really comfy
-no fridge or microwave in room (fridge available upon medical request)
-bathroom is small
-157 doubles in sheraton, 46 in Westin. That should be enough but might be cutting it close?
-No laundromat in the area, I don't know what the hotel laundry rates are.
-No vending machines (sheraton policy), but there is a front-desk kiosk that is open 24/7 with snacks, sandwiches, and sodas
-Diamond Ballroom is a bit small at 5.5k sq ft, and has pillars. :-/ It also has low-hanging lamps.
-Not a lot of food in the area, there's a popeyes, 7-11, kabob place (it's really good), chili's, and a gas station.

Hunt Valley Inn (aka the one not in Dulles area hotel)

Pictures

Internet

So I don't have a speedtest picture, because when I tried the wired connection, I got 14.13 download, and the upload continually plumetted (it was seriously like a cartoon) until it arrived at .17 and just hung there. Yeah...

The hotel said they can increase upload, but I'll believe it when I see it.

General

Room rate is 75 without breakfast, 89 with continental breakfast, and 99 with hot breakfast.

+Rates are reasonable, even with breakfast
+Near food, it's a block away from the Hunt Valley Towne Centre, though it is a wide street you have to cross (4+ lanes). It's about a 10 minute walk from front lobby to Towne Centre, mostly because of the intersections you have to cross (yes I timed this).
+Conference rooms are not too far away, and there's an elevator that goes straight down to the floor with all of the conference rooms.
+vending machines
+engineer is on-site 24/7 (this is actually pretty rare for hotels)
+Coin-operated washer and dryer.
+There's a shuttle that goes to the Towne Centre and to and from the rail station.
+Bed is pretty comfy.
-Yeah, rail station, you have to take a rail from BWI that takes over an hour to get to the rail station near the hotel (it's the last station). It doesn't close until midnight, and it's only $1.60, so in *most* cases it wouldn't be difficult to get to the hotel, just time-consuming.
-The shuttle doesn't go to the airport (which is a 25 minute drive away), it goes to the rail station.
-The internet result, yeah. The sales rep said they can upgrade it, but still, I need to see proof.
-No fridge except upon request. Sad
-Tables were not great-looking. They looked better than Crowne DIA, but didn't look like they were in great condition either.
-The Maryland Ballroom smelled kind of stale. :-/
-We can't set thermostat because it's on the roof???? Yes, that is the answer they gave me.
+/- The hotel is in the middle of renovation, and it is supposed to be done by November, but you never know when it comes to projected dates. I was able to see one of their renovated hotel rooms, and it looked nicer than the older hotel rooms. However, I have no clue if the conference rooms will be done by then.

Conclusion (the tl;dr part)

Basically, the Hilton is looking the best out of the hotels. The food situation isn't great (fortunately there's at least some food not too far and some delivery), but everything else looks good, though I will admit the rate is a bit higher than the other hotels. The Sheraton also looks good, but its biggest problem is that it doesn't have space to expand for another year, even though they are accommodating, and switching hotels every year is not ideal. The Hunt Valley Inn has plenty of room, but there's too many x-factors to consider it IMO (the internet, renovations). Also, it's very far out of the way (I had to drive hour and a half each way to get there), and there's no airport shuttle. The Holiday Inn just doesn't have enough space and the conference rooms not being in the hotel itself is definitely a deal-breaker, considering how annoying it was walking to the Crowne DIA's conference rooms.

Long story short, Hilton is looking best, as long as I can hash some details out such as the room rates with breakfast.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
thadarkman78: 2014-08-24 10:17:02 pm
thadarkman78: 2014-08-24 10:04:52 pm
I'm glad hilton decided to do 15% discount on restaurant food, definitely makes it a lot better to stomach (bad pun) the isolation. Sounds like a winner to me.

Also very underrated is the restaurant stays open until 1am, really awesome.
Quote from thadarkman78:
I'm glad hilton decided to do 15% discount on restaurant food, definitely makes it a lot better to stomach (bad pun) the isolation. Sounds like a winner to me.

Yeah that's really pushing me towards the Hilton as well. Having the discounted food kind of offsets the higher room cost too, I think. Hilton seems like a winner.
Edit history:
EvenSteven02: 2014-08-24 10:42:00 pm
EvenSteven02: 2014-08-24 10:40:09 pm
Stay frosty my friends!
Hilton looks like a winner. Dat restaurant looks really cool, too!

http://www3.hilton.com/resources/media/hi/IADAHHF/en_US/img/shared/full_page_image_gallery/main/HH_oldoxgrille002_32_675x359_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

Also, I really want to see a gif of the Hunt Valley Inn Internet plummeting. Tongue
Thanks for going out of your way to check out the Hunt Valley Inn. I agree, out of the options available it looks like the Hilton is going to be the best. Also, seems like Maclearen Square is at least theoretically in walking distance, but Google Maps claims it'd be around a 20-minute walk. Based on what you've seen is that walk actually safe/reasonable at all? Are there sidewalks? I'm okay walking that far to get a little food variety, personally, and it definitely sounds better than the available options at the other hotels, or at SGDQ for that matter.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2014-08-24 11:42:38 pm
I do know at the very least, vocelli's pizza, asian garden, and an Italian restaurant called lil' Italian Cafe deliver to the Hilton. I'm sure there are others, but I'm waiting for the Hilton on a response for that.

thadarkman78: Yeah, that was nice of them to offer a discount like that.

Menus for Hilton restaurants: Old Ox Grill (lunch)

Cardinal Lounge. (dinner)

Vulajin: I am just going off of memory since I wasn't paying close attention, but a 20 minute walk sounds about right, since it's roughly a mile, and there weren't sidewalks for at least half of the way there. I think you could still walk to Maclearen Square since I remember there was at least grass on the side.
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2014-08-25 12:00:23 am
kirbymastah: 2014-08-25 12:00:09 am
kirbymastah: 2014-08-24 11:59:53 pm
<(^_^)>
diet = asian garden, welp

(it probably won't be good but meh)

also 20 minute walks means keeping off weight ^_^ and building up play coins on my 3ds
Yeah asian garden struck me as a very typical chinese (american chinese) restaurant just from the look of it.
I've done the McLearen walk... in summer.  There's a sidewalk on one side of the road that goes all the way.  It's only about a mile long but there are a bunch of intersections that you have to wait at during the day.  You probably spend as much time trying to cross as you do walking.  There's no traffic at night but I don't remember there being much street lighting either.  If it's super cold again this year or there's snow on the ground I wouldn't try to go on foot.

The Hilton still looks good overall.  It's a decently nice place.  I stayed at that Holiday Inn a few years ago and thought it was kind of seedy.
Oh, right, it's going to be balls-cold winter. How could I forget. :x
IIRC there isn't much street lighting along the way.
Edit history:
OtakuSRL: 2014-08-25 07:50:09 am
< ^ > < ^ >
Quote from mikwuyma:
Yeah asian garden struck me as a very typical chinese (american chinese) restaurant just from the look of it.

Those are the best anyways. Food doesn't taste as good without the good ol' stick-on marble counters. Wink (But really, I love those take-out Chinese places more than like proper Chinese restaurants, they usually have food that we are all familiar with, they are very convenient, etc..)

OT: Hooray for the Hilton! However, is this official yet? I couldn't really tell by the ending of the post if we're 99% set on the Hilton or if we're still looking. (or both)
All the things
I would be interested in revisiting Hunt Valley for future years after renovations are finished, but I agree that the unknowns are definitely hurting it right now. Internet is the big one, followed by the lack of direct airport shuttle. That said, we could also probably get some better candidates next year with fewer "we can provide rooms all but day x" situations, so eh.

Hilton seems reasonable. The rate itself isn't all that different after taking into account splitting costs. One thing I'm worried about is the upload though; can you confirm whether that was a dedicated line for us, or shared amongst the conference rooms/hotel? 7 Mb doesn't exactly give a lot of headroom.
<(^_^)>
Quote from OtakuSRL:
Quote from mikwuyma:

Those are the best anyways. Food doesn't taste as good without the good ol' stick-on marble counters. Wink (But really, I love those take-out Chinese places more than like proper Chinese restaurants, they usually have food that we are all familiar with, they are very convenient, etc..)

Lo mein all day every day
Food options look really light for the gluten intolerant (like me), unfortunately.  Ceasar Salad is the only option on the hotel restaurant's lunch menu, and the dinner one only adds a (less than economical) steak to the mix.  McLearen looks a little better, but how much is probably going to depend on the quality of the pho place there along with what few options some of the other places have.  This is going to be annoying, but at least I can handle the cold. Undecided
MarioKart 8 MLG Baby #Kappa
Well i might as well book my flight to Dulles then, need to since tickets are getting kinda expensive i noticed from Switzerland there lol

But on Topic, the Hilton looks like it has the overall best conditions Smiley
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2014-08-26 09:23:46 am
<(^_^)>
Quote from AlecK47:
Food options look really light for the gluten intolerant (like me), unfortunately.  Ceasar Salad is the only option on the hotel restaurant's lunch menu, and the dinner one only adds a (less than economical) steak to the mix.  McLearen looks a little better, but how much is probably going to depend on the quality of the pho place there along with what few options some of the other places have.  This is going to be annoying, but at least I can handle the cold. Undecided

Quote from AlecK47:
pho

Quote from AlecK47:
pho

Quote from AlecK47:
pho
Omnigamer: Yeah Hunt Valley looked okay in theory, but the renovation and internet really made me wary. Also, even though it was close to food, I figured the rail taking an hour would be a greater inconvenience than not having food nearby.

Aleck47: I do know that the Hilton has some gluten-free options. I can ask for more details when I follow up with them.
Edit history:
honorableJay: 2014-08-26 06:35:19 pm
The Dork Knight himself.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Basically you reserve with a credit/debit card, and there's 24-hour cancellation policy (as in contact the hotel 24 hours before your check-in time). Once you actually arrive, the hotel puts an authorization hold on your card (or if you have the names and info of the other guests, split up 4 ways) with incidentals per day (this ranges from 25-50 dollars depending on the hotel).

Now here is how authorization holds work. If it's on a credit card you won't notice because your card won't get charged unless if you use an incidental like room service, However, if the hold is on a debit card, it will be charged for the entire stay until you check out. This is just how debit cards work, and the hotels can't do anything about it. So long story short, use a credit card for check-in if you can.

I spoke with a friend of mine who works in a local hotel, and from what she was telling me any hotel should be able to immediately charge you for the entire stay if you're using a debit card to make sure the money isn't tied up the entire time you're there. Also, if you know you're not getting incidentals (room service, etc) you can specifically state at check-in that you're not getting incidentals and can have your card immediately charged. Granted some hotels are more willing to work with guests than others, but any major hotel should easily be able to accomodate this. It might be something you want to follow up on.

As for the Hilton, I'll agree it does seem like the best option. One thing I'd like to see is the internet upload speed increased to at least 10Mbps (15Mbps being about the sweet spot). If the marathon is going to use about 3-4Mbps for the main stream, that doesn't leave too much bandwidth left over the rest of us to use. If they're willing to increase it just for the duration of the marathon, I'm willing to pay more for my attendance fee to make it happen.
it looks like the Hilton uses the ISP I have here. Also looks like they are using the same $60 package I know cox has packages that gives way more upload so I would inquire with them about upgrading it.
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from sneaky:
it looks like the Hilton uses the ISP I have here. Also looks like they are using the same $60 package I know cox has packages that gives way more upload so I would inquire with them about upgrading it.

Unless you have a business-class connection I HIGHLY doubt it's the same package.
well I have home and get better numbers than they do so even if it isn't business I know for  a fact they have better packages
Quote from sneaky:
well I have home and get better numbers than they do so even if it isn't business I know for  a fact they have better packages

business packages don't typically have the same speed packages (maybe some similarities but not all) plus are always more expensive than residential packages. The reason for that is ISPs typically dedicate more resources to business lines so uptime isn't compromised. For example when I was managing a business in new york, a 25 down/x upload type package in residential was equivalent price wise to a 3/1 connection in business, and that was just for a small mom n pop business. When you have a bigger business, it gets worse.
I took a look and I'd say the Hilton or the Sheraton are the best choices we got, pretty much the same conclusion Mike came to Tongue

The food shuttles at both would be useful, and it seems like both generally seem to accommodate our needs overall, though I guess the Sheraton is a bit too small. I'd probably throw my hat in for the Hilton.

The Holiday Inn is pretty much a never. That big of a distance to the conference center, no way.

I know this isn't that important, but is the Hilton in range of pizza delivery? Tongue
Quote from thadarkman78:
Quote from sneaky:

business packages don't typically have the same speed packages (maybe some similarities but not all) plus are always more expensive than residential packages. The reason for that is ISPs typically dedicate more resources to business lines so uptime isn't compromised. For example when I was managing a business in new york, a 25 down/x upload type package in residential was equivalent price wise to a 3/1 connection in business, and that was just for a small mom n pop business. When you have a bigger business, it gets worse.

Business Class services also (more often than not) come with a Service Level Agreement (SLA) that the ISP will adhere to, meaning that they will have a technician onsite within a given window if there is a localized outage.