Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2014-08-15 05:21:49 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-08-08 05:29:18 am
mikwuyma: 2014-08-06 07:46:37 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-07-16 01:29:35 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-07-16 02:36:50 am
My feelings on The Demon Rush
And ends September 3rd 11:59 PM EDT, so there's slightly over two weeks. No need to worry ESA attendees, the game submissions will still be here even after ESA has finished. Sorry about the previous lack of consideration for ESA attendees.

Now you have been warned, that date is over a full month after SGDQ and you still have a little under 3 weeks if there's a game you want to pick up.

Submissions will be similar to SGDQ, with some key differences.

-We'll be using the games done quick registration instead of a google form. The google form was way too prone to fake submissions (I think there were 15 biinny submissions and 5 for glover).

-The character limit for explanations will be 300-350 characters instead of 250. The limit for SGDQ submissions was too short, and I think this extension will make it long enough for people without going overboard.

-I can't respond to each submission anymore, there are too many submissions and not enough time. You can still ask me why a game was not accepted (or accepted), but don't be surprised if I'm slow to respond.

-There will be a spot for twitch highlights/youtube videos so you can easily post a video.

-There should also be a spot for twitch/twitter so we can store them in a database (and therefore easier access so we should get it correct on stream this time).

-There will also be a section with the console and version of the game so we know exactly what version you're playing.

The rest is the same. If you're not familiar with the format, just look below.

Rules

-You can submit up to five games and have up to 10 categories (as in an average of two categories per game). If you try to submit more, or try to submit games twice over, then you go from 5 possible games to zero.

-No technical concerns about the game working. If you aren't confident about making the game work, then don't submit.

-No backseat moderators in the thread once it is posted, we already have moderators.

Some submission tips

When describing a game, you should be short, to the point, and specific. While that might sound hard, there's not actually a whole lot you have to say.

Here's an example of a good game submission (Mighty Switch Force) from Duke Bilgewater:

A fast-paced puzzle platformer speedrun. NG+ uses "Mighty Jumping", a method of bunny hopping by abusing the Mighty Buster (http://bombch.us/XYt).The 5 bonus levels would be a good donation incentive. Maybe a race with Iongravirei.

It's short, descriptive, the movement/tricks are explained, and there was even spare space for a donation incentive (this is optional).

Here are some phrases I would advise against.

"I worked really hard on this" - I hope you did, or you are going to, or else your run shouldn't even be considered in the first place.

"Cult-Classic" - While there are many cult-classic games, I have seen this applied to any game that isn't very popular. Generally cult-classic games already have a certain sort of popularity (like Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil), and don't even need to be mentioned that they are cult-classic games.

"This game has a lot of skill or tech" - This isn't specific. What about the skill or tech shines through? Is it fast? Are there a lot of glitches? What kind of glitches? (warps, clips, zips, etc.) Looks graceful?

"This game is an exciting/hype/amazing/insert adjective here watch" - What about the game makes it a good watch? Fast? Glitches? Just saying it's a good watch is not going to convince me.
Thread title:  
Personal text
Quote from mikwuyma:
No need to worry ESA attendees, the game submissions will still be here even after ESA has finished.

Yeah, we almost get time to think about new games.
First time I'll submit, I hope I won't screw up D:
Hockey enthusiast
Please reconsider the date.

Starting submissions during our finals is a dick-move if there ever was one.

I agree, I feel the date for submission is pretty inconvenient, as I have a lot of stuff going on and finals happening around that time Tongue
Personal text
What's the harm in waiting at least until september? Earlier submissions just mean more dropouts.
I can probably start the submissions two weeks later (the 16th), but I'd rather start the process earlier rather than later so there's more time to find prizes, Gilder has more time to create hype videos for blocks, and being able to tell sponsors (such as humble bundle) what games we'll be having at the event. In other words, just more time to prepare for the event in general.

Anyway, if people agree that the 16th is a better day, then I can start submissions then.
Hockey enthusiast
Quote from mikwuyma:
Anyway, if people agree that the 16th is a better day, then I can start submissions then.

Yes please.
Edit history:
Joka: 2014-07-16 02:24:56 am
Personal text
16th is definitely better. Not great (from my pov), but at least ok.
More EU response, but yes please.
twitch.tv/pxmacaiah
Quote from Romi:
First time I'll submit, I hope I won't screw up D:

Advice: Wait a few days and read what other people submit
Thanks I'll do that (or read previous years threads if they still exist).
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Quote from Edenal:
Quote from mikwuyma:

Yes please.
Quote from Joka:
16th is definitely better. Not great (from my pov), but at least ok.

I agree, definately better but could be even later. Right now, the GDQs take up the whole year of speedrunning.
Okay, I changed the date to August 16th, which should be enough time for most people. Sorry for the lack of consideration ESA attendees.
Hockey enthusiast
Quote from mikwuyma:
Okay, I changed the date to August 16th, which should be enough time for most people. Sorry for the lack of consideration ESA attendees.

Much appreciated
Lost in Wonderland
i like how the threadlink is still  https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/agdq_2015_game_submissions_will_open_august_2nd_at_3pm_edt.html haha  it cought me off guard
DX, DXHR, MGR, TRA, GTA SA
Awesome! But first ESA HYPE! Cheesy
I hope i can attend this year, even if my game got in or not.
Gets the cake.
Already excited to see what people submit. I'll probably toss in a couple of games that'll get shut down, but I'll go either way because GDQs are awesome =P
I definitely have something I want to submit this time, even if I don't expect it to be accepted (and have no idea yet if it'd be feasible for me to actually attend.).

I hope this AGDQ turns out well!
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, or if it's answered somewhere else. I went looking but couldn't find it.

What's the stance on offering games if I'm really not sure if I'm able to attend due to stuff like getting time off of work (just started a new job, not sure how lenient they will be) and money and such?
WOW.
Quote from keymakr:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, or if it's answered somewhere else. I went looking but couldn't find it.

What's the stance on offering games if I'm really not sure if I'm able to attend due to stuff like getting time off of work (just started a new job, not sure how lenient they will be) and money and such?

Still offer them, people drop out all the time leading up to the marathon, it's fine. Just as long as you don't drop out like a week or two before.
For Fun! For GLORY!!
I'm cool with the change. Gives me a month to work on my new speedgame.
Whether or not the Uyamanati accepts it is a different story. Tongue